• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

Huff

Banned
I am guessing declines for both platforms for April. No significant new software and fewer tax refunds should amount to fewer sales. I do think 3DS continues outpacing Vita by a narrow margin, as it has in the last couple of months.

What are you talking about

dessgea 3 vs spirit something

battle of the century!

Aspiring

Does anybody have any clue on thee numbers for Tales Of Graces f??? I never expected it to chart but I'm hoping for somewhat reasonable sales so we can get Xillia.

unomas

Banned
Very interesting NPD, Sony not that far behind MS, Nintendo just waiting out it's time until the WiiU takes its place, and Mass Effect 3 of course dominates. No Ninja Gaiden 3? Not shocking, that franchise needs another reboot otherwise it's just game over this gen for the series.

Now if Sony could only get ESPN3 on PS4 and copy the 360 controller I'd probably be on board. I'm getting a little sick of online shooters, big Gears and Halo fan, but without some changes in those titles I could see myself jumping ship. I'm starting to look at that free online through Sony and of course some of their first party stuff like Uncharted 3......can't wait for next gen!

Sean

Banned
Analyzing software sales with just a top 10 list is a mistake.

In any case, those promotions ran from late March to early April IIRC.

Wasn't judging from the top 10 list, I was referring to creamsugar's post which said the top-selling Vita game was under 50k (unless I misinterpreted it).

That seems quite low to me considering it's still the launch period and there was widespread software deals at like every retailer.

So how do the Kid Icarus numbers stick up? Good, mediocre or bad? I mean a Resident Evil spin off title beat it, but would RE:OC be more front loaded than say KI:U because Nintendo titles are evergreen?

Sorry I'm new to these type of threads.

Oh and I think NDP should go back to listing SKUs separately rather than collectively. This makes 1st party games for Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony seem like they sell worse than they actually did.

AniHawk

3ds sales are really bad. wow.

kid icarus did kinda okay, though. it might hit a million worldwide, which is about the best you could expect from a dead franchise.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wasn't judging from the top 10 list, I was referring to creamsugar's post which said the top-selling Vita game was under 50k (unless I misinterpreted it).

That seems quite low to me considering it's still the launch period and there was widespread software deals at like every retailer.

The large launch line-up works against big individual sales, they are spread over a lot of games and people only buy so many. It was obviously planned for a Christmas launch in the West, but as they missed it things don't really fly as well this time of the year.

The sales of the lesser titles will be in the toilet.

How is having a better second month than 3DS, regardless of the differences in first month sales, a disaster?

It won't become clear till next month, but it's likely this month's sales are heavily front-loaded because of how late it launched in February. There's likely to be a big drop off, just as with 3DS.

Sony wanted 500k in 3 weeks, they still aren't there yet.

Kyon

Banned
wow vita is a goddamn disaster.

the fact that it did better than 3DS its 2nd month is a "disaster" k
bbyu0_th.gif

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
3ds sales are really bad. wow.

kid icarus did kinda okay, though. it might hit a million worldwide, which is about the best you could expect from a dead franchise.

This isn't Japan. The Western 3DS isn't exactly drowning in great games like the Japanese one.

And that fucking sucks.

Massa

He mentioned new games, so it was MLB or Unit 13. The bulk of the game sales are still the likely for launch games.

AniHawk

And that is why Pokemon B+W2 needs to be on 3DS and not DS.

well yeah. it's pretty obvious that needed to be the case.

hell, the first one should have been a 3ds game.

i guess they'll ride out a shitty year until super mario bros. 4 hits and then push a revision in 2013.

I thought the vita was going to be <50k. Seriously. I really thought the drop off was gonna be steep.

200k seems healthy to me. It's just treading water until they can manufacture it (and sell it) for cheaper. But that seems like decent water treading to me.

Of course others in this thread seem to think 200k means it's dead. Though these are likely the same people who declared it dead before it even came out.

Kyon

Banned
I thought the vita was going to be <50k. Seriously. I really thought the drop off was gonna be steep.

200k seems healthy to me. It's just treading water until they can manufacture it (and sell it) for cheaper. But that seems like decent water treading to me.

Of course others in this thread seem to think 200k means it's dead. Though these are likely the same people who declared it dead before it even came out.

pretty much, this is 3DS all over again

jman2050

Okay seriously, what is the thought process going on here with some people. The thing just launched, even in worst case scenario it would have launch hype to buoy itself on for at least another month to avoid numbers that low. I never thought for a second it would sell below 100k.

Yeah, Kid Icarus did pretty decent. 1 week of sales and was a top performer for the 3DS software sales from the looks of things.

So far that puts it at 200+135=335+EU. I'd say it is probably at ~420k or so right now. It might need a bit more legs to reach the 1M mark, but at least it did not outright bomb.

The 3DS number is pretty bad. This seems like a system that sells only in the holidays (excluding Japan) and kinda just lays low during the months between. It's not like the DS and Wii. I'm surprised the Vita broke 200k and was close to the 3DS number -- whether that's a boon for the Vita or a knock on 3DS remains to be seen.

Zen

Banned
Silent Hill + Binary Domain < 100k.

Is that to mean that both of them, when added together, are below 100k?. Whelp I guess that's it for Nagoshi's Team not working on Yakuza. Had Sega been smarter about marketing it, I think it could have done decently. It's certainly a much better game than those sales suggest.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is that to mean that both of them, when added together, are below 100k?. Whelp I guess that's it for Nagoshi's Team not working on Yakuza. Had Sega been smarter about marketing it, I think it could have done decently. It's certainly a much better game than those sales suggest.

And Silent Hill + Binary Domain ~ (How do you do that 'roughly equal to' symbol?) Ninja Gaiden 3

MoosiferX

The question is where is your store so Gaffers can show their support.

South eastern Washington (the Tri-Cities). Sunken Treasures Games in Richland!

Yeah, we got like 3 copies in -- new games are so hard to do for us small businesses -- and we didn't sell a one. Them's the brakes though, eh?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Nintendo really needs to get those 3DS sales up.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they are doing in NA. It's like they realize how bad the software drought was in Spring / Summer 2011, and then they just repeated it. Kid Icarus was good but April has NOTHING. May at least has Mario Tennis, but I don't think that's enough.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nice to see both the 3ds & wii scrapping at the bottom of the barrel.

They deserve to be at the bottom of the sales charts with the abysmal game releases recently.
What the hell?

3DS has had a pretty great first 3 months of this year. Mutant Mudds, Resident Evil: Revelations, Tales of Abyss, Sakurai Samurai, Might Switch Force, Kid Icarus, Tekken 3D, Metal Gear Solid 3D, Crush 3D, Vvvvvv, and Dillon's Rolling Western.

AniHawk

Yeah, I'm not sure what they are doing in NA. It's like they realize how bad the software drought was in Spring / Summer 2011, and then they just repeated it. Kid Icarus was good but April has NOTHING. May at least has Mario Tennis, but I don't think that's enough.

april: nothing
may: mario tennis
june: nothing
august: fire emblem
september: potassium benzoate
october: that's bad
november: super mario bros. 4
december: luigi's mansion 2

Top Bottom