• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow at the PS3 selling more than all but the Edit:360, and it's highest BF. I guess the lack of news about PS3 sales isn't always a bad thing.

Well this is the last we'll hear about the Wii
big%20boss%20salute.JPG

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's really apples and oranges in this case. The similar gameplay doesn't matter. The reason why people buy Gears first and foremost is for multiplayer. It doesn't just apply to competitive MP. From the first game Gears has been a co-op experience. Most people didn't play the game for a story or for cutscenes or characters. Lost of people buy the games to go through the campaigns in co-op before going into the full multiplayer mode. I'm sure many of them don't ever touch single player.

The demographics for the two games are pretty different.

I can see that point.

So, then the question is, why do people on GAF so blatantly object to multiplayer components in single player games? Even if Gears isn't the best example of a "story game", it seemed that by 3 people were pretty invested in wanting to see what happened in the story. UC2 is again an example of multiplayer making the game way, way better.

Milchjon

Wait wait wait, I can't believe the numbers in the OP:

Total software: $1.74 billion (+16%)
Non-PC software: $1.67 billion (+15%)

Are they really saying PC software only made $70 million? What the hell am I reading wrong here?

fernoca

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, PS3 beat the Wii.

Wow. Never thought I would see that happen.

With Skyward Sword as the last big Wii game, I don't see the Wii recovering.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sony should have had the BF bundle available for weeks in large supplies instead of one day of limited supplies. They could have had many more sales. That was MS approach, tons of discounted bundles everywhere.

Microsoft in BEAST MODE- can't stop, won't stop. It is now the PS2 of this generation in North America. Nearly doubling the nearest competitor and taking nearly half of all console sales during November?

1.7 million- that's just crazy to think about. Congrats to the team at MS for doing a phenomenal job. Sales like this at this time in the consoles life span is just bananas.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Alright, so using my bars from the last thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32629105&postcount=306

Nirolak said:
While you're not asking me, my personal bars have been:

50% - Acceptable, but far from great.
75% - Good, considering it is the first year.
100% - Exceptional, given the library difference, price difference, and that it is the first year.

All comparisons are to last year's DS sales instead of first year DS sales.

The 3DS is at 53% of the DS's sales.

I don't feel this is a terrible result, but I feel it could be much stronger, especially since it was doing a great job at holding around 75% for the last two or three months.

Kazerei

Banned
So basically 360 is the new Wii, and Wii is the new PS3? :lol

Nintendo absolutely needs to launch the Wii U next year. I'm also hoping Microsoft launches the new Xbox next year too, 'cause I'm totally ready for the next gen. They could pull a Sony (but not to the same extent) and introduce a high-end $400 console, while continuing to sell 360s at under $200.

I really wouldn't play that game.

If you do you might realize that this Nov is still higher than almost all of the 360's Novembers, and pretty much all of the PS3's.

Oh I agree. I was just making fun that Nintendo sure wouldn't say that with these numbers:

WII - 860k (-32%)
NDS - 350k (-77%)

duckroll

I can see that point.

So, then the question is, why do people on GAF so blatantly object to multiplayer components in single player games? Even if Gears isn't the best example of a "story game", it seemed that by 3 people were pretty invested in wanting to see what happened in the story. UC2 is again an example of multiplayer making the game way, way better.

It depends on the game? Not every game will benefit from a multiplayer component, and sometimes the addition of a multiplayer component is not always a great idea. If you tag on a half-assed MP mode just to try to get more sales, it will be a waste of time because it won't take off. If you dedicate tons of manpower and effort to a solid multiplayer mode, you might have to cut corners on the rest of the game to justify this effort. Even then the mode might not take off.

For every story of success, there are many corpses left on the pavement. If every developer thinks that multiplayer is an automatic direction to success, then eventually the focus on multiplayer efforts will either completely overshadow the single player components, or lots of developers will be out of business. Neither is a particularly healthy or good situation.

Instead developers should focus on what they're good at designing. If they think they can make a good and fun multiplayer game, go for it. If they have a great single player concept but don't feel confident of multiplayer design, stick to SP. If you think you can do both at the same time and have a great design spec, I don't think anyone would really object to that. But not many developers do.

venne

360, a console just hitting its prime (in the US).
Which is why i continue to be baffled by those calling for the next Xbox.

Would you kill your golden goose too, in the hopes a new goose that shits magic eggs shows up instead?

In the tech field, yes. You need to kill it before someone else kills it for you.

The longer a company rests on old tech, the bigger the opportunity they present for a competitor. There's a reason why Apple has an annual hardware cycle in spite of high sales.

You need to build that moat if you want to stay king.

Top Bottom