• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

Why would you expect it to sell less?

It's the only PS3 exclusive. It's heavily marketed and heavily discounted for BF and it's been out for the full month.

If anything it's numbers are "ok"

Because of the strong competition in November Releasing between BF3 and COD is very stupid imo. 700k are better than ok, but i think it could have done better if U3 released in another time period.

Right, but it's not fair to compare the two titles in terms of quality or mindshare.
Honestly, I just can't see things that have existed in the 360 market it's entire life being the reason for its journey to heaven.

The only thing that really differentiates it now is Kinect. Otherwise it's the same 360.

The userbase is the number of people with a WM+ though.

To be fair, that is about 70-90% of the total Wii audience now. I really doubt that the WM+ requirement had any significant effect on the total Zelda SS sales.

Honestly, I just can't see things that have existed in the 360 market it's entire life being the reason for its journey to heaven.

The only thing that really differentiates it now is Kinect. Otherwise it's the same 360.

Haven't the Kinect bundles been making up roughly half of all 360 hardware sales since its inception? The other half has to be coming from somewhere! (probably Skyrim, Halo CE, COD MW3 and the Xmas bump)

The lack of Kinect software success is pretty telling.

[Nintex];33325984 said:
Wow, ever since Mattrick is leading the Xbox division it exploded even Moore with all his marketing knowledge, slick tactics, developer deals and money hats could not do what Mattrick has done. He really turned the Xbox into the number 1 gaming platform for the US market. If I had told people back in 2005 that MS would outsell PlayStation 3 2:1 I would've probably been banned for trolling

donmattricktf72n.gif

I still feel that the games were better, when Moore was around.

goldenpp72

Yeah... the Wii would have to sell zero units until the 720 launch for the 360 to overtake it.

How so? wii is not getting support and is slowing down in sales, it has a sequel console coming and I doubt wii will be supported almost at all at that point, meanwhile the 360 may last through 2013 and still has huge games coming (gta5, more call of duty, halo 4, etc).

Not saying it's gonna happen, but I think it's plausible only under the context of nintendo killing the wii off so early (by releasing nothing for it)

xemumanic

[Nintex];33325984 said:
Wow, ever since Mattrick is leading the Xbox division it exploded even Moore with all his marketing knowledge, slick tactics, developer deals and money hats could not do what Mattrick has done. He really turned the Xbox into the number 1 gaming platform for the US market. If I had told people back in 2005 that MS would outsell PlayStation 3 2:1 I would've probably been banned for trolling

I'm not 100% sure that it really is because of what he did, so much as it happened under his watch. Moore and company left a long time ago, and much of what is making the 360 such a success now, are things that were set in stone long ago.

Not that I am saying Mattrick gets no credit, or that he just rode someone else's wave, however.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, but the thing is that this is also the first month since the 3DS launch that DS 2010 > DS+3DS 2011. Demand for Nintendo handhelds dropped this holiday. I hate to say it, but I think that mobile gaming is starting to have an effect. I only expect GBA numbers out of 3DS, but at a slower rate.

On the plus side, it is way more than the DS's first two Novembers.

Yeah, this certainly isn't a bad result, but so far I'm not seeing a great path to them vacuuming up the market share and reach they had going with the DS.

That said, they did promise their new IP casual games next year, so I will give them one more year before I make that my full generation prediction.

-MB-

I hought the 360s sales explosion started with the introduction of the slim model?

Karak

Someone needs to quote Karak's post with the Mattrick gif.

lol

Hahahaha! Do it!
Sorry ex works at Microsoft. So she and I get to talk very occasionally and she was pretty...actually mightily impressed with him.

Sadly, I get along better with her than my wife...what gives?

Probably because I am playing games too much:(

How so? wii is not getting support and is slowing down in sales, it has a sequel console coming and I doubt wii will be supported almost at all at that point, meanwhile the 360 may last through 2013 and still has huge games coming (gta5, more call of duty, halo 4, etc).

Not saying it's gonna happen, but I think it's plausible only under the context of nintendo killing the wii off so early (by releasing nothing for it)
It already has nothing out for it besides Skyward and it is not selling zero copies so...

Does it even matter when the 360 is selling so well on it's own? It seems silly to argue over a bulletpoint.

Lets put it this way then.

It would have to sell double it's yearly sales and the Wii stop selling entirely to get there by the time the WiiU launches. Or double it's yearly to hit it by the time the Loop launches.
I hought the 360s sales explosion started with the introduction of the slim model?
It was a sustained bump.

The explosion (taking Wii exclusive monthly sales) happened around the time of Kinect.

Neki

Hahahaha! Do it!
Sorry ex works at Microsoft. So she and I get to talk very occasionally and she was pretty...actually mightily impressed with him.

Sadly, I get along better with her than my wife...what gives?

Probably because I am playing games too much:(

uh oh, trouble in paradise.

Kazerei

Banned

Xenoblade is gonna help sell millions of Wiis. Believe.

Nah, it's gonna bomb :(

360: amazing! That's a ridiculous number
PS3: Nice bump and good sales
Wii: On it's way out

I'd love to see a ASP for Nov for all 3. I hope JVM can get that info. All 3 had a ton of deals on BF and I'd like to see which pricepoints the different consoles were desirable to consumers.

I'd love to see a split of all the MP games. I expect Skyrim, MW3 and BF3 to heavily favor the 360 while Batman and Madden would be much closer

Erethian

Yeah, this certainly isn't a bad result, but so far I'm not seeing a great path to them vacuuming up the market share and reach they had going with the DS.

That said, they did promise their new IP casual games next year, so I will give them one more year before I make that my full generation prediction.

Agreeing with BurntPork is the first sign of insanity.

ASIS

The concept of the 3DS just isn't as exciting as the DS. Same for Wii U. They will be successful I'm sure, but those crazy numbers won't be replicated any time soon.

Karak

360: amazing! That's a ridiculous number
PS3: Nice bump and good sales
Wii: On it's way out

I'd love to see a ASP for Nov for all 3. I hope JVM can get that info. All 3 had a ton of deals on BF and I'd like to see which pricepoints the different consoles were desirable to consumers.

I'd love to see a split of all the MP games. I expect Skyrim, MW3 and BF3 to heavily favor the 360 while Batman and Madden would be much closer

I expect Skyrim to be a fucking landslide on the 360 compared to to PS3.

Gaborn

PS3... o_O

... And yet Sony still can't put out a decent PR. :lol

So... Nintendo's the one who made out bad this time? Times are changing! The GCN days are coming back!

"Bad" is a relative term. I'm just guessing here but I'm betting Nintendo generated more profit from selling their hardware this month than Sony did. From a business perspective then I'm guessing Nintendo won.

Subitai

Well nice work MS Xbox NA team. The reason MS wasn't sold out in the black friday musing thread is because MS refused to get caught with any serious level of unmet demand for Kinect the way they did last year. The Xbox team is no longer an appendage to stop Sony and sell a little more software. It has morphed into MS's best shot at getting back in the game vs Apple and Google by getting a head start in the living room. MS's dashboard update has been covered in all of the mainstream media this week. Also:

MS seeks Executive to develop Xbox shows
Yusuf Mehdi to leave Bing division for Xbox

This is the reason I have no doubt that MS will unveil a new box at E3 that will be highly connected to the upcoming new Window's 8 products.

goldenpp72

It already has nothing out for it besides Skyward and it is not selling zero copies so...

The Wii just got outsold by almost a million in November by the 360, not sure how December is gonna go, but if the result is similar, that will seriously widen the gap for the Wii vs 360 in the US. Wii doesn't have much more to gain, 360 and ps3 can still price drop and have WAY more games coming than the Wii, as well as the Wii U likely cutting off the Wii entirely (it's very clear Nintendo does not plan to support the system post Wii U)

Basically, I think 360 will continue to exist even after the next Xbox hits, at a lower price and with continued software support. Especially since developers will probably develop for 360/Ps3 while supporting Wii U. I don't think the 360 closing the gap with the Wii is unrealistic in the end, in America at least, not for worldwide by any stretch.

KorrZ

I wonder how many 360 sales are people with the older consoles swapping up to the Slim model. I mean, it's getting so ridiculously cheap during sales at this point that even I'm thinking about getting rid of my old Elite Fat for a nice new sexy Slim.

Levyne

Banned
Xenoblade is gonna help sell millions of Wiis. Believe.

Nah, it's gonna bomb :(

So what are predictions of Xenoblade in the US? Would it take a miracle to get 100k? 50k? I feel bad (kinda) for not being able to support it since I imported already. I mean, I could double dip but that money could go towards other games I haven't actually played yet..

[Nintex]

It's time for Nintendo to blow the lid of the Wii U by like... tommorow. The Wii has had a great run but it's time to move on and they really shouldn't unveil a console and then not say anything about it anymore... that's just not fair :(

Well nice work MS Xbox NA team. The reason MS wasn't sold out in the black friday musing thread is because MS refused to get caught with any serious level of unmet demand for Kinect the way they did last year. The Xbox team is no longer an appendage to stop Sony and sell a little more software. It has morphed into MS's best shot at getting back in the game vs Apple and Google by getting a head start in the living room. MS's dashboard update has been covered in all of the mainstream media this week. Also:

MS seeks Executive to develop Xbox shows
Yusuf Mehdi to leave Bing division for Xbox

This is the reason I have no doubt that MS will unveil a new box at E3 that will be highly connected to the upcoming new Window's 8 products.
Yep, it's their biggest consumer device and they want to turn it into a monster. Which is why it is important to blow up the Wii U before it gets from the ground as well. You might never know when Nintendo might release something that looks utterly stupid and yet captures the entire market for 5 years straight.

jman2050

The concept of the 3DS just isn't as exciting as the DS. Same for Wii U. They will be successful I'm sure, but those crazy numbers won't be replicated any time soon.

Personally, as I think I said a while back, I'm not willing to make any real predictions for the 3DS's success until at LEAST a year from launch has passed. Way way too many variables going on at the start of a system's life to say anything definitively.

[Nintex];33326418 said:
It's time for Nintendo to blow the lid of the Wii U by like... tommorow. The Wii has had a great run but it's time to move on and they really shouldn't unveil a console and then not say anything about it anymore... that's just not fair :(
Closer to idiotic I'd say.

The market is exceptionally volatile right now, and just sitting on their hands will not help them get back that fire they held earlier in the generation.

So what are predictions of Xenoblade in the US? Would it take a miracle to get 100k? 50k? I feel bad (kinda) for not being able to support it since I imported already. I mean, I could double dip but that money could go towards other games I haven't actually played yet..

I'd say 50K followed by another 50K at $20 or less over the course of a year.

ASIS

The Wii just got outsold by almost a million in November by the 360, not sure how December is gonna go, but if the result is similar, that will seriously widen the gap for the Wii vs 360 in the US. Wii doesn't have much more to gain, 360 and ps3 can still price drop and have WAY more games coming than the Wii, as well as the Wii U likely cutting off the Wii entirely (it's very clear Nintendo does not plan to support the system post Wii U)

Basically, I think 360 will continue to exist even after the next Xbox hits, at a lower price and with continued software support. Especially since developers will probably develop for 360/Ps3 while supporting Wii U. I don't think the 360 closing the gap with the Wii is unrealistic in the end, in America at least, not for worldwide by any stretch.

But just as you said. When Nintendo cuts the Wii that's it. Even if the X360 outsold it afterwards it wouldn't matter anymore.

I have to say next generation is going to be very interesting. Could MS finally reach the top position then?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Americans have more money to spend compared to last year I guess.

Good stuff.

Americans always spend money they don't have too. Black Friday is a mess of low income people swarming to crappy stores to spend money they should use for bills, savings, etc.

protonion

Funny that all 3 consoles will be very close when all is said and done.
Wii is near the end of the road.
PS360 has a couple of good years left. Each will sell about 85-90 millions I think.
If any of them follows the PS2's sales pattern it could even break the 100 million mark a few years into the next gen.

ASIS

Closer to idiotic I'd say.

The market is exceptionally volatile right now, and just sitting on their hands will not help them get back that fire they held earlier in the generation.

They said they didn't want to talk about the WiiU because of the situation of the 3DS. I still don't understand their strategy. The WiiU is not exactly a complex console to explain, so how on earth can they screw up this badly?

To compare last 2 years

Nov_NPD_HW_Estimates.jpg

So 3DS+DS is basically slightly down (Sort of bad for 3DS first year + nearly 50% price cut), 360 and PS3 explosion, Wii continues its downward slope into oblivion, and everything else is negligible or noone cares enough to look it up

Top Bottom