• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Why do I always forget about NPD day?

I can't even wrap my head around these numbers. 360 software is amazing. Nintendo hardware is completely beyond imagination. WTF could Sony be thinking right now?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
KuwabaraTheMan said:
What I find amazing is how Mario Kart has very quietly and consistently racked up over 4 million units sold in the US now. That's very stunning, and it could be the best selling installment in the franchise by mid-2009.

n64 4,800,000
ds 2,600,000
double dash 2,500,000
gba 2,400,000

it won't take until mid-2009

Pimpbaa

Nice to see LBP selling PS3s like some said it would. Seriously tho, I don't understand the wii sales at all. Also software sales seem to drop pretty sharply as you go down the top 10 list. Developers screwing themselves yet again by releasing everything in late fall.

Volcynika

FutureZombie said:
There's a difference between games that are viewed as "kiddie" and games that are made solely for people who don't play games with any complexity to them. If you think the Wii hate is about kiddie games, you are wrong. But feel free to stereotype and generalize however you are can.

Yeah, that happens on the other side too.

Haunted

2 million in November is just... there are no words.

Happy that my hobby is so popular. :)

ALSO, those PS3 numbers are shit, no two ways around it. Just when I warmed up to the system - does this make a price drop more or less likely?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
:lol @ all those who think that LBP was not marketed enough.

The game was everywhere. NPD shows that 'core gamers just don't care.

Yes, Wii selling 2 million units with no worthy holiday titles is bittersweet. I still believe that Nintendo's success ultimately benefits our industry no matter what. More people playing games is always a good thing.

The only negative here are the Nintendo fanboys that got left behind from the company's roadmap to success.

Fredescu said:
Loads? No, no they are not.
How many is "loads"?

Could you show me that "loads" of M$ & SONY published games in the future?

Do we really need another discussion about the lack of software releases for current Wii owners over the last six months? It's been done to death.
That was not my point I'ver never discussed the past lineup.

PS3 is disappointing but I expected it. I suppose we will see the opposite when PS3 do a price cut, in all honesty I thought MS would sell more with the price cut..

Nizz

Gary Whitta said:
And apparently that of hundreds of thousands of others...
I won't knock L4D. I don't own a 360 but I played the demo for L4D and it kicks ass. I've also played the beta for Resistance 2's online portion of the game. That kicked ass also...

Gary Whitta said:
You can't ever blame gamers for not giving a fuck. Its the job of the game-makers and the marketers to MAKE us give a fuck. Unfortunately R2 never achieved buzz comparable to its competitors. In a particularly competitive holiday season something was inevitably going to get squeezed out and this year it was Resistance 2.

This is Insoms best opening month ever... you make it sound like it wasn't in the top 50 much less the top 10. Insom am doomed is the new Sony am doomed?

Spike said:
Okay, all kidding aside, are the third parties going to start taking the Wii seriously now? I mean, 2 million units. Wow. I was guessing 1.25-1.5 million tops, but this is unbelievable.

Problem is the best artists, best programmers, best game makers simply dont want to work on the wii.

If Epic or insomniac decided that they were going Wii exclusive I imagine most of the staff would walk out, all companies want to do is palm the wii off to junior staff.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The true news story here is that Nov. 2008 PS hardware sales got smoked by 2007 PS hardware sales. That SHOULDN'T HAPPEN.

Sony is is serious, serious trouble.

Dirtbag

God finally caught up..
this thread was racing for a while there.

I'm still in shock and awe at wii sales.
Nintendo has changed gaming as we know it... the next-generation will be different.
I don't know how anyone can continue to deny it.

Sony's numbers (in November!) are atrocious.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Gotta use this shitty Photoshop I made in 5 minutes when DQX was announced:
sw5r34.jpg

fps fanatic said:
In your opinion...

And that of anyone else with an appreciation of good game design, sure.

Heck, those numbers aren't even for the game's premier platform either. There's a very good reason Left 4 Dead sold a huge amount more units, has a much higher metacritic score, and has a an awful lot more people playing online every day. Its simply the better game.

1) Whoever at MS decided to launch the Xbox 360 a year early should get a massive bonus. By being a year ahead of Sony on the price-drop curve, but day and date with the big releases, its clear that Sony has no way to win.

2) GH charting (+ all the millions of other SKUs floating around) shows that the Activision doom from last month was way too early. I dont see Rock band 2 anywhere on that chart. Oh, maybe tis because the idiots at harmonix havent released a Wii version yet.

3) Expanding on that, its been 2 years that 3rd parties have continuously failed by not putting more content on Wii. Only the port-lovers at Activision figured it out. Nintendo had nothing this Holiday season, if a 3rd party game was ever going to shine, it was Holiday 2008.

Finally, this is scary.

VALIS said:
Nov. 2007 / Nov 2008 = Differential
Playstation 3: 466K / 378K = -88K
Playstation 2: 496K / 206K = -290K
PSP: 567K / 421K = -146K

They can drop the PSP and PS2 prices and get some better sales....but that will only delay their death. Theyre stuck with PS3. Cant lower the price, but they cant let the system become irrelevant.

Chrange

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
You can't ever blame gamers for not giving a fuck. Its the job of the game-makers and the marketers to MAKE us give a fuck. Unfortunately R2 never achieved buzz comparable to its competitors. In a particularly competitive holiday season something was inevitably going to get squeezed out and this year it was Resistance 2.

Seems likely at this stage that the franchise won't be continuing which is probably not the worst thing in the world as Insomniac is a top quality developer and whatever they come up with next will be great anyway. But if I were in charge there I'd looking for a way to break loose from Sony and hook up with one of the winning teams. I can't imagine anything more demoralizing for a developer than to pour blood sweat and tears into a quality game only to see it underperform because it's shackled to a sinking format. See also Little Big Planet, etc etc...

You're exactly right on the buzz thing. Sony had Resistance 2 releasing, the highly upgraded sequel to one of their best-selling launch titles, and what do they want to talk about? Killzone 2 and LittleBigPlanet.

They should have been heavily into the business of marketing Resistance 2, but it seems like they were more interested in trying to play up other titles (one not even in the cards for this year) instead.

RJT

grandjedi6 said:
That's basically what I said.
He said: sales1*price1>sales0*price0
When it should have been: sales1*(price1-unit cost)>sales0*(price0-unit cost)

Note that if (price1-unit cost) is negative and (price0-unit cost) isn't, that would never occur, whatever the increase in sales may be.

mr_bishiuk said:
Problem is the best artists, best programmers, best game makers simply dont want to work on the wii.

If Epic or insomniac decided that they were going Wii exclusive I imagine most of the staff would walk out, all companies want to do is palm the wii off to junior staff.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
sony spin: :lol :lol :lol

PlayStation by the Numbers
November 2008

PlayStation Brand Continues Strong Sales Momentum Into the Holiday Season; PS3 Hardware Sales Grow 60% Year-to-Date
Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales in November 2008 Top 1 Million
The PlayStation brand began the holiday season by posting solid sales at retail across its three platforms, with more than 1 million hardware units sold in November 2008, a 93% growth from the October 2008, according to NPD.

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) has continued its strong momentum during the holiday season with 378,071 hardware units sold in November, representing an increase of almost 100% from October. From January to November 2008, more than 2.8 million PS3s have been sold in the U.S., representing a year-to-date hardware sales growth of more than 60%.

Fueled by an unmatched holiday line-up of blockbuster first and third-party titles, more that 3,552,456 software units were sold for PS3 in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 150%.

Top-selling exclusive games for PS3 in November included hot titles for the hardcore gamer and family alike, from the pulse-pounding first-person shooter Resistance 2, to one of the best-rated games of the year, LittleBigPlanet.Third-party must-have titles -- including Activision’s Call of Duty: World at War, Midway Games’ Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Electronic Arts Sports’ Madden NFL 09 – rounded-out the best-selling games for the platform.

In November, the PlayStation nation continued to turn to the PlayStation®Network for entertainment content, including: new PlayStation games such Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Age of Booty; original content such as Qore: Episode 5 and Xam’d: Lost Memories, Season 2; and new blockbuster additions to the video delivery service, including Hancock and Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. There are currently more than 15 million registered PlayStation Network accounts worldwide.
PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack proved to be a popular choice for movies, games and entertainment content on-the-go in November, with 420,539 units sold. This represents an increase of 118% from October.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) and the LEGO Batman: The Videogame PS2 Entertainment Pack posted solid sales in November, with 205,944 hardware units sold, a 51% increase from the previous month.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio
The PlayStation brand generated strong sales across all three platforms, earning $663 million in November.

Year-to-date (Jan-Nov), the PlayStation brand generated more than 5 billion in revenue, representing an 11% growth year-to-date.

PlayStation total hardware revenue was $261 million in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 9%.

PlayStation total software revenue in November was $352 million, representing a year-to-date growth of 16%.

ksamedi said:
I'm glad Wii Music is selling decently. Atleast its going to make a nice profit for Nintendo so that they would consider a sequal.

Man, I hope so. More content (songs for the jams AND for the orchestra/bell games, instruments, expanded options for creating covers, etc) and perhaps Wii Motion Plus support would be killer. It's an awesome concept that was very well executed, but it could benefit SO MUCH from a sequel or even some kind of disc-based expansion.

xbhaskarx

jamesinclair said:
1) Whoever at MS decided to launch the Xbox 360 a year early should get a massive bonus. By being a year ahead of Sony on the price-drop curve, but day and date with the big releases, its clear that Sony has no way to win.

Very true, as long as the 360 can keep matching future PS3 price drops.

diss

Banned
waiting for microsoft and sony to fine tune their tech enough to shove it into slimline boxes with a waggle stick and relaunch their existing systems

ColR100

1cesc said:
Check the first or second page, someone posted them.

Edit: Never mind, I'm feeling nice, I'll do it for you:

Hardware LTD's:
PS2: 42.948.000
NDS: 24.463.000
WII: 15.391.000
PSP: 13.227.000
360: 12.449.000
PS3: 6.062.000
Cheers man, sometimes the thread just moves far too quickly. Appreciated.

Quoted again so it appears on another page.

pseudocaesar said:
PS3 is disappointing but I expected it. I suppose we will see the opposite when PS3 do a price cut, in all honesty I thought MS would sell more with the price cut..

pseudocaesar said:
What he said is true, I do expect the 360 to smash the PS3 this holiday..in all honesty if they didnt double there would be something seriously wrong on MS behalf. That said, I think the spike will plummet, and 360 wont continue to sell. 2009 PS3 will receive a price cut, and then you will see all the fence sitters jumping aboard. I expect PS3 to double the 360 in 2009 after a price cut, and then overtake in 2010. The Playstation brand is the biggest in the gaming world, once it becomes cheaper it will absolutely skyrocket into epic sales.

Spin Attack!

frankthurk said:
This is Insoms best opening month ever... you make it sound like it wasn't in the top 50 much less the top 10. Insom am doomed is the new Sony am doomed?
The sales aren't bad. My point, at least in part, is that they probably would have been multiple times better if they weren't tied to an underperforming system. If Resistance was a 360 franchise you'd probably be looking at 1m+ sales instead of 385K. As a developer that would bug me a lot. I want to be on the winning team with the largest audience for my game, not propping up a doomed format.

DogWelder

chespace said:
:lol @ all those who think that LBP was not marketed enough.

The game was everywhere. NPD shows that 'core gamers just don't care.

Yes, Wii selling 2 million units with no worthy holiday titles is bittersweet. I still believe that Nintendo's success ultimately benefits our industry no matter what. More people playing games is always a good thing.

The only negative here are the Nintendo fanboys that got left behind from the company's roadmap to success.
:lol Why, every NPD??

ColR100 said:
Cheers man, sometimes the thread just moves far too quickly. Appreciated.

Quoted again so it appears on another page.
No problem!

TJ Spyke

Leondexter, I think your numbers must be off. Unless you are saying that the Xbox 360 still hasn't surpassed the original Xbox in terms of US sales (the Wii passed the Xbox 360 in US sales earlier this year).

Guled, the fact that it's the Wii version and the Wii sold over 2 million last month explains it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mama Robotnik said:
Very good. But I counter.

I pretty much leeched of memory alpha, wanted Cochrane going to warp .gif for 360 :p

I stand by my Wii and PS2 choice.

I feel silly for forgetting the pakleds.

Mama Robotnik said:
Very good. But I counter.

Wii

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww336/mappster138/qstartrek.jpg[IMG]

[b]Nintendo DS[/b]

[IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww336/mappster138/t_trelane.jpg[IMG]

[b]Xbox360[/b]

[IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww336/mappster138/381731208_500a035f09.jpg[IMG]

[b]Sony Playstation 2 and Sony Playstation 3[/b]

[IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww336/mappster138/pakled04.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
WINNER

Top Bottom