• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Sony PR said:
Fueled by an unmatched holiday line-up of blockbuster first and third-party titles, more that 3,552,456 software units were sold for PS3 in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 150%.

So basically Gears 2 + COD 360 + L4D sold as much as every game on the PS3 put together.

I said wow.

farnham

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Problem is the best artists, best programmers, best game makers simply dont want to work on the wii.

If Epic or insomniac decided that they were going Wii exclusive I imagine most of the staff would walk out, all companies want to do is palm the wii off to junior staff.
in my book nintendo has the best artists, programmers and game makers

dunno i just see it as a matter of taste

insomniac is a thirdparty that is practically a sony firstparty

epic received huge money for gears exclusivity

those two companies are never going to work on the wii... no matter how powerful it was..

clashfan

chespace said:
Yes, Wii selling 2 million units with no worthy holiday titles is bittersweet. I still believe that Nintendo's success ultimately benefits our industry no matter what. More people playing games is always a good thing...

Did all those kids that bought Backstreet Boys and nsync help the music industry in the long run?

chespace said:
The only negative here are the Nintendo fanboys that got left behind from the company's roadmap to success.

Granted, Nintendo didn't have any high profile core titles out for Christmas but, since the launch of the Wii, Nintendo fanboys have gotten Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. That's a lot of high profile titles in a relatively short period of time. I honestly don't know anyone can honestly suggest that Nintendo has abandoned the core fans.

Playstation 2 206k
Playstation 3 378k
PSP 421k

= 1,005,000 units of hardware total for Sony.

The PS3 sales are not good at all but imagine how worse it would be if they didn't have the PSP or PS2 to soften that blow for the gaming division.

justchris

No way in hell I'm gonna be able to catch up with this thread, so I'll just have to do this in what time I can.

Captain Smoker said:
Software LTD's:
Wii Play: 7.929.501
Mario Kart Wii: 4.013.000
Wii Fit: 3.530.134
Wii Music: 378.000

Hardware LTD's:
PS2: 42.948.000
NDS: 24.463.000
WII: 15.391.000
PSP: 13.227.000
360: 12.449.000
PS3: 6.062.000

Thanks. Looks like Wii gained about 820k over Ps360 this month. I expected it too gain, but not by that much. Wii has shot past PSP and looks to be making a run on DS numbers now.

Stumpokapow said:
PS3 numbers are awful. Substantially down YOY despite major software launches.

Wii's January - November: 8.05 million units.
PS2's best ever January - December: 8.39 million units.

Wii Play is now best-selling single SKU in tracked history by a country mile.

Thanks. Wasn't PS2's highest November (2001) about 1.5m, and the December after that 2m+? How much over 2m was it, cause I don't think Wii's November beat PS2's best December. If it did...wow.

VALIS said:
Nov. 2007 / Nov 2008 = Differential
Playstation 3: 466K / 378K = -88K
Playstation 2: 496K / 206K = -290K
PSP: 567K / 421K = -146K

Sony needs to make some serious changes.

Ouch, down on all 3 products? So glad I don't work for Sony's PR department. I can't wait to see how they spin this.

Stumpokapow said:
Best-selling single SKU titles of all time.

Wii Play (7.9)
GTA SA PS2 (6.9)
GTA VC PS2 (6.8)
Super Mario 64 (5.9)
GTA3 PS2 (5.6)

country. mile.

Thanks.

botticus said:
You'd rationally think that, but few would have said November could be almost three times October.

While true, at this point I have to think they'd run afoul of production issues. Unless they increased production between November and December, or changed their shipping methods, I just don't see how they can double their November numbers. They did announce increased shipments between October and November, and most of us just underestimated how much increased. If Nintendo comes out in a few weeks and says they've increased production/shipments again for December, I will gladly revise my opinion.

Hellraizer said:
Playstation is doing great it seems.
xfby51.gif

"Mind games."

minus_273

Banned
Igo said:
PS3 is dead nonsense has already begun :lol I worry for these people.

People expecting them to drop the price in this economy with the yen so weak :lol

People being so apparently shocked that LBP didn't chart :lol (Does no one pay attention to the European sales?)

I love that weak yen. do you even know what you are talking about?
1y

I personally wont double dip, as my 360 collection is big enough as it is, but seriously Insomniac, you deserve better, bring your shit over to the 360 and get the sales you deserve.

clashfan

Coolio McAwesome said:
...Nintendo fanboys have gotten Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. That's a lot of high profile titles in a relatively short period of time...

Is that you Reggie?

_Angelus_

Banned
farnham said:
in my book nintendo has the best artists, programmers and game makers

dunno i just see it as a matter of taste

insomniac is a thirdparty that is practically a sony firstparty

epic received huge money for gears exclusivity

those two companies are never going to work on the wii... no matter how powerful it was..

WTF?
Nintendo fans are creepy in these NPDs. Theyre like those little Willie Wonka short dudes dancing in the streets with their Wii music games tucked under their pillows at night.
Yeesh.

farnham

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
The sales aren't bad. My point, at least in part, is that they probably would have been multiple times better if they weren't tied to an underperforming system. If Resistance was a 360 franchise you'd probably be looking at 1m+ sales instead of 385K. As a developer that would bug me a lot. I want to be on the winning team with the largest audience for my game, not propping up a doomed format.
you honestly think that there will be another shooter besides gears2 and call of duty waw selling 1 million units in one month.. i seriously doubt that even if x360 is "the" shooter console

Fredescu

Captain Smoker said:
How many is "loads"?

Could you show me that "loads" of M$ & SONY published games in the future?

That was not my point I'ver never discussed the past lineup.
You were asking why no one cares that MS and Sony outsource, and it's because the they create and release plenty of internally developed gamer games too. There is a current software drought on the Wii, specifically for gaming enthusiasts. Therefore we start questioning where the games are coming from for us. There is no need to do the same for MS and Sony because the games are here, they're out and we're playing them. Future lineups are great but I can't play them until they come out, and when they do they might be poor quality games (see: Warioland, Disaster, or in other words don't count your chickens).

Mrbob

One other problem the PS3 has now too are that stand alone blu ray players are catching up and are becoming as good, if not slightly better than the PS3 for movie playbook. At a much cheaper price. You can get a BD Live Panasonic player now at amazon for 228, and it is basically the equivalent of a PS3. If you don't want to play games save yourself 160 bucks and buy the stand alone player.

Gary Whitta said:
The sales aren't bad. My point, at least in part, is that they probably would have been multiple times better if they weren't tied to an underperforming system. If Resistance was a 360 franchise you'd probably be looking at 1m+ sales instead of 385K. As a developer that would bug me a lot. I want to be on the winning team with the largest audience for my game, not propping up a doomed format.

'What ifs' rarely bother me, it's pointless speculation. R2 is selling well, better than any other Insom title to date. And 'winning team'? :lol

Problem with that is summed up with:

mr_bishiuk said:
Problem is the best artists, best programmers, best game makers simply dont want to work on the wii.

If Epic or insomniac decided that they were going Wii exclusive I imagine most of the staff would walk out, all companies want to do is palm the wii off to junior staff.

farnham

Banned
industrian said:
Second party.
no insomniac is a third party

i think ted price said that several times

Angelus said:
WTF?
Nintendo fans are creepy in these NPDs. Theyre like those little Willie Wonka short dudes dancing in the streets with their Wii music games tucked under their pillows at night.
Yeesh.

are you seriously saying that nintendo never made good games..?

donny2112 said:
Most PS3/360 owners don't, either.

more like do not want to know

TJ Spyke

justchris said:
Thanks. Wasn't PS2's highest November (2001) about 1.5m, and the December after that 2m+? How much over 2m was it, cause I don't think Wii's November beat PS2's best December. If it did...wow.

PS2's best November was 2002 at 1.3 million, it's best December was also 2002 at 2.7 million.

It really is time for Insomniac to move on. If they truly are an independent third party, it just doesn't make any logical sense for them to leave all that money on the table by sticking to a machine that can't move copies of their games.

Going multiplatform will double if not triple their sales from what they currently are.

Untold Dreams said:
What have you been playing?

I can't speak for him, but I've personally been playing Animal Crossing, Wario Land, Wii Music, Super Smash Bros, and Blast Works. It's easy to build up a major Wii backlog, there are lots of quality games around.

Coolio McAwesome said:
Granted, Nintendo didn't have any high profile core titles out for Christmas but, since the launch of the Wii, Nintendo fanboys have gotten Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. That's a lot of high profile titles in a relatively short period of time. I honestly don't know anyone can honestly suggest that Nintendo has abandoned the core fans.

They've been the best publisher of the generation, from all angles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
:lol I like to think that Sony's marketers actually mean what they say and are just the biggest optimists on the planet.

FrankT

Mrbob said:
One other problem the PS3 has now too are that stand alone blu ray players are catching up and are becoming as good, if not slightly better than the PS3 for movie playbook. At a much cheaper price. You can get a BD Live Panasonic player now at amazon for 228, and it is basically the equivalent of a PS3. If you don't want to play games save yourself 160 bucks and buy the stand alone player.

That was one issue on Black Friday as well. Wally World selling a full featured 1080p Blu Ray player for $129 is undercutting the business real nice like.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Angelus said:
WTF?
Yeesh.

i also love clicking on threads where i have no interest in the subject matter! we should form a club.

frankthurk said:
'What ifs' rarely bother me, it's pointless speculation. R2 is selling well, better than any other Insom title to date. And 'winning team'? :lol
It's not even a what-if. It happened. Look at Gears and Resistance. Both high quality shooters, very similar in their demographic appeal. But one sells WAY more than the other because it's on the system with the larger and faster-growing hardware base. I submit that if Gears and Resistance were flipped (Gears PS exclusive, Resistance 360) you'd see the numbers flip too. So the point has already been proven.

camineet

Banned
Wii can do 3 million in December?

Wii's next stop / milestone:

Super Famicom / SNES install base, in probably under 2.5 years

Top Bottom