• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Liquid

Banned
*queues up that HORRIBLE song from the motorstorm demo with all the blaring horns and shit* :lol man that song SUCKS but it goes with sony so so well right now.

Odysseus

Banned
just got in from a brief vacation, read the first few pages and skipped ahead

wow

wii am king
360 am duke
ps3 am jester

i expected 360 to be much higher due to elite, and it would be interesting if we could see the sku split percentage to see what was moving during the month. i said elite was a bad move when it was announced, i called it a perceived price increase and others, of course, agreed. but i didn't expect sales to be affected negatively over the short term. yet, here we are, elite sku announced in march and npd sales have been down from the 50k/week average since then. coincidence? maybe. but if premium sales dried up in april, i think that's a good sign of a more-than-anecdotal perception that elite is now the version of the 360 to get, and that can only be bad for market penetration. say what you will about saturating the market at the $400 price point, but the drop from the eerily consistent average is pretty substantial and more than what i would expect even entering the typically slower months. the lingering question is whether or not the bean counters running the xbox subdivision at microsoft even care, or is beating sony truly enough.

LCGeek

formerly sane
psy18 said:
You hear that Sony?
Price drop or bust.

Bad situation for them

Piss off consumers or piss of stock holders with the even bigger loss you will take to move those units into homes.

so with Japanese sales Pokemon D/P is at what now? 7m?
Europe is still awaiting the title too, so Pokemon D/P will be as big as sales get this generation around me thinks.

the attach rates for the DS this month were over 3:1 just off one game alone which is hilarious!

numpty-nuts said:
Ask people that have an HDTV, a Wii, and a (x360 or PS3) which they play more. The Wii is waggle fun but it just doesn't look good on HDTV. And its action games cannot hold a candle to Resistance or Gears.

Wii looks great on my HDTV from a bunch of PS2 ports alone. Upcoming titles crap all over your crappy comment, and the likes of MP3 will get the sales it deserves this time around.

Can't wait for next week. Hype train gains momentum.... Wendys are on-board!!

evilromero said:
Damn. Even at $450 it seems a tad much. If we're going to hope can we at least hope for $400?

Sony would lose way too much at $400.

As a PS3 (and Wii60) owner, these numbers really scare me. I hope Sony stops ****ing up.

Bildi

speculawyer said:
Ask people that have an HDTV, a Wii, and a (x360 or PS3) which they play more. The Wii is waggle fun but it just doesn't look good on HDTV.
I don't think it necessarily works that way. Zelda is usually the game I put on if I want to look at something really pretty on my HDTV. The Wii looks great on any TV (unless your scaler is shit probably). But my 360 sees more playtime because it has more games - it's been out for a year longer after all.

HD has zero impact on which controller I pick up when I want to play a game. I play in the same proportions as I did when I had a SDTV.

speculawyer said:
And remember . . . both the 360 & the PS3 can do waggle if they so choose . . . but the Wii will never be able to do HDTV. That is a long term problem for the Wii.
Wait

By the same token, if Nintendo released a Wii HD, it would be the exact same thing in your mind?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Hatorade said:
Bad situation for them

Piss off consumers or piss of stock holders with the even bigger loss you will take to move those units into homes.
Stockholders should be pissed regardless. At least with a price drop there's still the slim chance that you'll recoup losses in software sales.

Just finished reading the thread. My special unique awesome reactions:

-Haha, My Chemical Mouse.
-Haha, PD. But I'm not laughing at you.

That out of the way, when the hell do these numbers translate into games? So far we've got Square-Enix paying lip-service, EA porting old games, Namco making some general strategy changes, and, uh...

Obviously the userbase is impossible to ignore at this point, yet the closest thing we've got to a third-party killer-app is probably Sims just because you've got that "social" aspect + Miis, which is something out of which I imagine morons will get a huge kick. Not that it'll be a bad game, necessarily, but seriously, this thing's going to firmly take #1 worldwide. Is there going to be anything that doesn't pander to an absurd western developer illusion that Wii owners just want waggle shit and things that can be played in one-minute chunks?

Tristam

Question: why the HELL do people think that Microsoft and Sony can release their own "waggle wands" that suddenly spell doom for Nintendo?

puebla

jarrod said:
At this point, it'd be more surprising if the "big two" didn't come to 360.

I wonder how portable that White Engine *really* is...
i'd also be surprised too. i didn't bring up MGS4 cuz i expect that to be ported.

Krowley

Tristam said:
Question: why the HELL do people think that Microsoft and Sony can release their own "waggle wands" that suddenly spell doom for Nintendo?

I don't get this either. Any such addon would have no more impact than the eyetoy did. It would be a bonus, but that's about it.

Grecco

Tristam said:

Its an Extension of the Wii is a Fad...

Krowley

Aristotlekh said:
Obviously the userbase is impossible to ignore at this point, yet the closest thing we've got to a third-party killer-app is probably Sims just because you've got that "social" aspect + Miis, which is something out of which I imagine morons will get a huge kick. Not that it'll be a bad game, necessarily, but seriously, this thing's going to firmly take #1 worldwide. Is there going to be anything that doesn't pander to an absurd western developer illusion that Wii owners just want waggle shit and things that can be played in one-minute chunks?

Think about Rygar and Soul calibur legends.. Both these announcements were made with artwork only, probably because they just started development recently.

I would imagine other devs are in the same boat, but they want to wait till they can release screens too.

It just hasn't been long enough for most of the games to show up yet. Probably by the end of the year there will be more and by next year, there will be many more.

also we'll probably see a few announcements during E3 and maybe at that event next week.

Grecco said:
Its an Extension of the Wii is a Fad...

It's also another way to say that the wii is just a gamecube with a magic wand.

Deku

Banned
Krowley said:
I don't get this either. Any such addon would have no more impact than the eyetoy did. It would be a bonus, but that's about it.

The eyetoy was wildly successful, but it also had the benefit of a massive installed base. I don't think the 360 will be in that position for sometime if ever, and the PS3 has sixaxis.

StevieP

Banned
Merovingian said:
Look i don't care about your moma and sister not caring about Assassins Creed and Halo 3 and GTa.

For me...those guys are a different market than the one i'm sitting in, those are the Casual, hence why i say wii will be succesfull, the true casual market.

And 2nd you don't need and HDTV so give me a break. And an Avid gamer that doesn't care about those games, and thereby don't give a shit about the Zeldas and the FFs and Metroid PRime, etc, means they aren't Avid gamers. If it was up to those suckas we would still be playing Pong, so **** them.

Spielber, Jackson, Michael Bay, Sony and MS, most of the devs in the world, they want more spectacular and immersion experiences, not just some piece of shit little game to play 15 minutes at a time, **** that shit.

Is there a market for those games, of course, look at Wii sports, nintendogs, what have yous, a hell of a big market actually.

But i don't give a ****, and tons of ppl don't give a **** too, like i might not give a **** about cartoons, or some comedy T.V show, but i might give a **** about Prison Break and Heroes and ****ing last badass balls to the wall action movie.

That's why the market of enterteinment is big as ****, and that's why the Wii will never end the gaming found on the 360 and Ps3.

And since i'm one of those that like a bit of everything, have a Wii and a 360, and am timing my chance to buy a PS3.

A+ meltdown, would read again.

Krowley

Deku said:
The eyetoy was wildly successful, but it also had the benefit of a massive installed base. I don't think the 360 will be in that position for sometime if ever, and the PS3 has sixaxis.

The eyetoy was successful, but it didn't exactly generate many games specificly designed for it. It didn't really change the perception of consumers about the capabilities of the ps2 or anything.

Tristam

Deku said:

I posed the question because it's among the most asinine arguments I've ever heard (install base be damned!). On the Wii, nearly all games support motion sensing in some form or another. The PS3 and 360 have been "waggle wand-less" (c'mon, motion sensing in SIXAXIS is poorly supported) and so Sony or Microsoft can do one of two things: release a peripheral that few games support, which will all be eclipsed by the Wii's own games anyways, or release a new standard "waggle wand" controller. I don't even have to explain why the latter would be an incredibly stupid decision. It isn't anything like moving from the original PSOne controller to the Dualshock.

Deku

Banned
Krowley said:
The eyetoy was successful, but it didn't exactly generate many games specificly designed for it. It didn't really change the perception of consumers about the capabilities of the ps2 or anything.
oh that is true.

That meltdown dude obviously doesn't like Arrested Development based on his assertion that comedy is not worth watching but action oh-so-totally-is, which makes him a commie and a traitor in my book.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
_leech_ said:
Damn right, the 360 deserves better sales. It'll pick up in the Fall, without question, but they have to find some way to get customers to buy the system when there isn't a big release.
Nintendo found out before they did

crbowen

speculawyer said:
Ask people that have an HDTV, a Wii, and a (x360 or PS3) which they play more. The Wii is waggle fun but it just doesn't look good on HDTV.

Wii360 owner here. I have to disagree with you. After playing last gen on a shitty 27'' tube tv, I upgraded to a 42'' plasma. Playing Metroid Prime, Zelda WW, Pikmin 2 and F-Zero GX in 480p on the Wii blew me away. As did Zelda TP.

I'm prefectly satisfied with how the Wii looks on my tv, no regrets.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
All these numbers prove is that there are a lot of poor people who want to play video games. These numbers are meaningless to those of us who want a real next gen experince.

Speevy

Banned
haunts said:
All these numbers prove is that there are a lot of poor people who want to play video games. These numbers are meaningless to those of us who want a real next gen experince.

:lol :lol :lol

StevieP

Banned
haunts said:

Please, tell me more! /moku
BTW, for ****'s sake, we're in "current gen" now, already, with all three systems! the term 'next gen' was over in 2006!

Tristam

haunts said:

LOL. Well played, sir.

Tf53

scottnak said:
So... cue the "I was bored..." preface explanation for doing something nerdy...
I did the number crunching for the predictions...
(161 players)
Code:
R  Player             Abs Diff
------------------------------
1  BuzzJive 		109
2  [B]Tf53[/B] 	  	122*
3  Dimmuxx 		123
4  speculawyer 		128
5  apujanta 		129
6  Mallika 	 	138
7  DayShallCome	 	143*
8  donny2112	 	155
9  argon	 	156
10 Parl		 	158
11 Clever Pun	 	163
12 sonycowboy	 	165
13 Giddeon	 	166*
14 Pope Benedict XVI 	168
15 F#A#Oo	 	169*
16 Xabora	 	171*
17 chibicicylist 	173*  
17 corez		173*
19 Branduil	 	174
20 perfectchaos007	176
21 John Dunbar		180
22 Orgen	 	186
23 PhoenixDark	 	193*
24 Barf_The_Mog	 	194*
25 PACHTER	 	202*

* +13 penalty added for not guessing for Gamecube numbers.
So there you go.
I guess second time's a charm! :D Not bad for a junior, huh? :lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
haunts said:
Seriously...Get a second job you lazy bastards.

haunts said:
chiaa7.gif

Please, tell me more about your wonderful book

jsrv

I'm curious, how much more did Pokemon Diamond/Pearl sold in Japan in the same interval/time compared to the US?

papercut

haunts said:

BAALLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!

StevieP

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
What are the worldwide totals on 360 and Wii?

Well, I haven't added them up (not like we have good european numbers or anything), but I'd estimate that they're in the vicinity of 8.5-9 and 6.5-7m respectively.

KINGMOKU

haunts said:
I'm interested in your views. Please expand upon this line of thinking.

God knows this forum needs a rational voice in this time of great distress for us true HD-era gamers.

Grecco

haunts said:

Someone get this champ a tag. hes earned it.

Note how they (Sony) are no longer mentioning PS3 sales, but that of "The Playstation Brand"?

I'm all for pointing out how nice the PS2 and PSP are selling (Thanks PSP price drop!), but c'mon, Sony, even for you (which is now hard to believe) this is a *new low* in terms of trying to put a new spin on things.

You know...I'd kill for a Sony Press Release saying "Yeah, right now we're sucking hardcore, the Wii is kick our arses and we're still lightyears from the 360 sales....but hey...we're going to try to do what it takes to regain the leadership position!" At least then you'd have people willing to give Sony a little bit of a break.....but with Press Releases like they've been doing...it's hard to *NOT* give them crap over it.

Top Bottom