• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

XiaNaphryz said:
Still catching up on this thread in the early pages so I dunno if this has been posted yet, but I had to do it:

ouendan_s.gif
Holy shit, that's amazing! :lol

zallaaa

OMG OMG, NPD's thread are the salt of my life! sub-100k PS3's sales are quite disheartening, however they should make Sony save a bit of money :lol on the other hand, Wii+DS=++$$$

Tristam

speculawyer said:
Why the HELL do people misquote others? Who said that it would 'suddenly spell doom' for Nintendo? It wouldn't. Nintendo has great first party IP. But waggle-wands for the 360 and/or PS3 means they could do Wii Sports clones & such . . . in HDTV. This would take away some of Nintendo's waggle-novelty.

Since 360 and PS3 Wii Sports clones would be inherently superior (the HD difference), then, by inference (since waggle is all Nintendo has going for it, amirite?) it would spell doom for Nintendo.

Take your pick: a peripheral that few games support and fails to gain any sort of mainstream popularity or a default waggle wand (again, the latter needs no further explanation).

EDIT: I don't know how I can make it any plainer. A waggle wand for 360 or PS3 simply will_not_gain_traction.

Deku

Banned
speculawyer said:
Why the HELL do people misquote others? Who said that it would 'suddenly spell doom' for Nintendo? It wouldn't. Nintendo has great first party IP. But waggle-wands for the 360 and/or PS3 means they could do Wii Sports clones & such . . . in HDTV. This would take away some of Nintendo's waggle-novelty.

You're beating on a strawman. Your inference that it would be very simple to add in an entirely new control scheme for an established platform is a bit disingenuous. It's about as comparable as saying that Nintendo coming out with a brand new platform that is HD capable would render 360 obsolete.

Deku said:
Peripherals don't work like that, especially on the 360 this far into its lifespan. It's like me saying Wii can actually do HD if Nintendo would just release a brand new console that can do HD. Not realistic.

Big difference there. A Wii HD would cost hundreds. A waggle game with waggle-wand included could be sold for $50 for the PS3 or 360. Want proof? . . . Wii Play. I'd be surprised if neither MSFT nor Sony do that.

I doubt the Wii Sports crowd would be willing to spend several hundred (potentially thousands if they don't already own an HD set) more dollars just to waggle in HD. Wii Sports is the right game at the right price. A Wii Sports clone on 360 or PS3 with a knockoff Wiimote would fall on its face.

Deku said:
Your inference that it would be very simple to add in an entirely new control scheme for established platform is a bit disingenuous. It's about as comparable as Nintendo coming out with a brand new platform that is HD capable.

Seriously . . . you think a waggle-wand with a few accelerometers is the same as launching a new console? C'mon!

Tristam

speculawyer said:
Big difference there. A Wii HD would cost hundreds. A waggle game with waggle-wand included could be sold for $50 for the PS3 or 360. Want proof? . . . Wii Play. I'd be surprised if neither MSFT nor Sony do that.

Wii Play is bundled with a controller that is used for every other game on the system. More proof plz.

Deku

Banned
speculawyer said:

Except peripherals don't work like that. Cost is lower sure, but the uptake would be difficult and it would be impossible to establish a new standard without having to simultaenously support the old controller. I think you forgot the lessons Sega learned in the 90s.

The closest you'll get is an eyetoy style device. Same difference.

Grecco

speculawyer said:
Seriously . . . you think a waggle-wand with a few accelerometers is the same as launching a new console? C'mon!

Because its not just adding waggle wand

its patching Old games to run on Waggle and Making New Games use Waggle as their DEFAULT MODES....

Krowley

Tristam said:
GAF am hired?

Patcher just needs to follow his gut more and get in better touch with the thought process of the average consumer.

Picking sales is not that hard.. He should just come to GAF and look at the general consensus. It will usually be better than his first impulse.

If i were hired as an analyst, that's what I would do.

speculawyer said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo could of implmented HD without having to spend much. Xbox 1 could do it. Anyway, the Wii's low price point is just as (if not more) important as Waggle, just tacking it on won't help MS or Sony at all.

Deku

Banned
sp0rsk said:
He should participate in our prediction thread. I know he's lurking!

I wonder if his published estimates were done with his analyst hat only and taking data from his sampling of stores which seems to have significant deviance from the actual sampling NPD is taking. GAF has no such facilities and we seem to do better just based on our feel for what' coming out in any given month and word of mouth/store level sales data.

scottnak

DayShallCome said:
Not that it matters, but Xbox and GC predictions have not been considered as part of the prediction competition. This stemmed from the fact that there have been some months where we didn't receive Xbox or GC numbers from NPD. I only move up a spot (maybe), but there could be a change of first place.

Ah. I see. First month I've actually cared to pay attention about these fandangled things.
XBOX numbers were ignored since NPD didn't give anything important about it.
Regardless, BuzzJive would stay on top since he was only off by 1 for GC (bringing his score down to 108) and Tf53 did not make his guess, so he'd go down to 109. So 1-2 stays constant. The others have a lil' shifting... but nothing too big.

Code:
 (Ignoring GC numbers), Top 25.
1  BuzzJive	      108
2  Tf53		      109
3  speculawyer	      118
4  Dimmuxx	      121
5  apujanata	      127
6  DayShallCome	      130
7  Mallika	      135
8  argon	      153
8  Giddeon	      153
10 donny2112	      154
11 Parl	              156
11 F#A#Oo	      156
13 Xabora	      158
14 chibicicylist      160
14 corez	      160
16 Clever Pun	      161
17 sonycowboy	      163
18 Pope Benedict XVI  165
19 Branduil	      168
20 perfectchaos007    176
21 John Dunbar	      179
22 PhoenixDark	      180
23 Barf_the_Mog	      181
24 Orgen	      182
25 PACHTER	      189

Deku said:
Just noticed this. Everyone who participated on GAF beat him in terms of accuracy.
Yes well... there are a total of 161 people who picked. Pachter just rounded up the top 25 (~Top 16%)

Deku said:
Except peripherals don't work like that. Cost is lower sure, but the uptake would be difficult and it would be impossible to establish a new standard without having to simultaenously support the old controller. I think you forgot the lessons Sega learned in the 90s.

It is an OPTIONAL alternate controller. Very few games would support it.

Sega's peripheral problems were add-ons like the CD drive . . . not a controller included with a game.

Deku said:
The closest you'll get is an eyetoy style device. Same difference.

Exactly . . . and the eyetoy was a huge success. A PS3/360 waggle-wand would be just like the eyetoy . . . it would be sold with a game and most games would not support it.

The point of this waggle-wand is not to wipe the Wii off the face of the earth. The point is to get customers who are trying to decide between a high-powered HD console & a fun waggle-box to pick the one that can do both. The Wii would still get plenty of sales for people totally into waggle and want Nintendo 1st party IP.

speculawyer said:

Besides, even if they have waggle, they don't have/or will have a very hard time coming up with a Wii Sports/Wii interface equivalent. Many have tried to topple Apple, including Sony and Microsoft, but neither can come up with an iTunes-like software capable of pulling the crowds away from the iPod+iTunes combo.

Sony is already trying with the High Velocity Wii Bowling clone and the best they could come up with is distribute is using an overly complicated download service.

Tristam said:
speculawyer said:
A waggle game with waggle-wand included could be sold for $50 for the PS3 or 360. Want proof? . . . Wii Play.
Wii Play is bundled with a controller that is used for every other game on the system. More proof plz.

The Wii-mote can be used with other games . . . so that means the PS3 & 360 could not produce a waggle-mote & game? That makes no sense.

speculawyer said:

Sega's peripheral problems were add-ons like the CD drive . . . not a controller included with a game.

Exactly . . . and the eyetoy was a huge success. A PS3/360 waggle-wand would be just like the eyetoy . . . it would be sold with a game and most games would not support it.

The point of this waggle-wand is not to wipe the Wii off the face of the earth. The point is to get customers who are trying to decide between a high-powered HD console & a fun waggle-box to pick the one that can do both. The Wii would still get plenty of sales for people totally into waggle and want Nintendo 1st party IP.

you sir are an idiot

jarrod

Banned
Interface add-ons or changes *can* be done successfully (Genesis 6 button, Dual Shock, Rumble Pak, etc) but the longer Microsoft waits, the harder it'll be. Plus, it's not like Sixaxis seems to be helping PS3 any, the press and the mainstream see it more as derivative copycating... if Microsoft did the same it'd come off as a bit desperate.

I'd rather they work on getting a HDD into every 360 first honestly. Save waggle for the next round, it's not going to be doing 360 any appreciable favors most likely.

Garcia

DantesWrath said:
I hope those numbers will make Sony realize that $600 is just too much for the average gamer.

Oh no...Unfortunately they won't... An even if they realized that by now, what good could come out of it?

I'm amazed by those numbers. Nintendo did it, and they did it pretty well.

Tristam

speculawyer said:
The Wii-mote can be used with other games . . . so that means the PS3 & 360 could not produce a waggle-mote & game? That makes no sense.

Huh? People buy Wii Play because it's a $10 game packaged with the default system controller, one which is used for every other game on the system. It is NOT a "side" peripheral.

jarrod said:
Interface add-ons or changes *can* be done successfully (Genesis 6 button, Dual Shock, Rumble Pak, etc) but the longer Microsoft waits, the harder it'll be. Plus, it's not like Sixaxis seems to be helping PS3 any, the press and the mainstream see it more as derivative copycating... if Microsoft did the same it'd come off as a bit desperate.

I'd rather they work on getting a HDD into every 360 first honestly. Save waggle for the next round, it's not going to be doing 360 any appreciable favors most likely.

See "there's a big difference between upgrading from SIXAXIS to true waggle wand and upgrading from PS controller to Dualshock."

itsme

Banned
Tristam said:
Since 360 and PS3 Wii Sports clones would be inherently superior (the HD difference), then, by inference (since waggle is all Nintendo has going for it, amirite?) it would spell doom for Nintendo.

Take your pick: a peripheral that few games support and fails to gain any sort of mainstream popularity or a default waggle wand (again, the latter needs no further explanation).

EDIT: I don't know how I can make it any plainer. A waggle wand for 360 or PS3 simply will_not_gain_traction.

It's pretty clear from the above statements that you have no clue what's going on. It's more than "waggle wand" that made Wii as successful as it enjoys now. If you truely believe that all it takes for sony and ms to run over nintendo is to release the "waggle wand", you can't be any further from truth.

Flesh Into Gear said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo could of implmented HD without having to spend much.

Yeah . . . OK . . . they'll just release a magic HD chip that you can slide into the SDRAM slot.

And even though Nintendo can sell a waggle-mote with game for $50, it would be impossible for Microsoft or Sony to do so even though their systems have flexible wireless controller interfaces that have already been used to implement other controllers such as disc player remotes, steering wheels, headsets, etc.

Clearly I'm wasting my time here.

speculawyer said:

You are wrong. Such a move will have no impact whatsoever.

The problem with your reasoning is to think that the remote is what set aparts wii from other consoles. No no and no...

What is making Wii successfull is it overall strategy and it flawless execution. In any case Sony would need to copy the whole Nintendo strategy and execute it flawlessly too.

Deku

Banned
speculawyer said:

Then its an eyetoy.

I already pointed out was a success (way ahead of you) but it was also pointed out it has no real meaningful software support, especially from third parties.

I also mused neither 360 nor PS3 would enjoy the sheer size and demographic variety the PS2 enjoyed to support such a peripheral to great success and neither platform will ever achieve those heights.

In short if they try it now or next year, expect it bomb harder than the 32X and confuse even more consumers. Sega peripheralitis part 2, here we come and if you thought Elite was a mistake...

Tristam

itsme said:
It's pretty clear from the above statements that you have no clue what's going on. It's more than "waggle wand" that made Wii as successful as it enjoys now. If you truely believe that all it takes for sony and ms to run over nintendo is to release the "waggle wand", you can't be any further from truth.

Tristam said:
I don't know how I can make it any plainer. A waggle wand for 360 or PS3 simply will_not_gain_traction.

zallaaa

that's the point. why should I buy a periferal I can use with a game only while on the other hand there's a low-priced console that makes its existence on the waggling? also, I think that at this point games that needs "exaggerated" waggling (like wiisports) are immediately associated with the wii and vice versa.

why are people comparing waggle to HD? do you think the typical consumer really cares about HD at all? theres a reason why the PS3 and elite are bombas.

also, wii has already in this short span established itself as waggle central; the place for casuals to go. 360 can easily copy it but it will never take off. i dont need to explain why. you should know and if you dont youre stupid.

the momentum has been set for nintendomination, theres nothing that can really stop it now unless it turns out the wii really is just a fad that will die within a year. sony can cut PS3's price and MS can rip off the wiimote and get a ridiculous amount of hardcore AAA games, but it wont change anything.

now stop the silly arguing and make with more gifs

Deku

Banned
scottnak said:
Yes well... there are a total of 161 people who picked. Pachter just rounded up the top 25 (~Top 16%)

Ah this explains it, i thought he was the bottom of the list. This makes my GAF powers less godly.

We get on PS3 gamers, with the whole "what are you playing to justify the cost"

My question to Wii owners, What are you playing to justify positive word of mouth, and having your friends buy this console as well?

Xbox 360 is the better buy, why is it losing 2 to 1, to any console

pickwick

Canadian numbers (npd)

Wii : 42.100
Ds : 34.900
PS2:18.000
X360:12.800
PSP:12.100
GBA:7.900
PS3:7.200

(thanks to http://www.jeux-france.com/blog_Otsuka)

Though I don't know march numbers for Canada, I can say that wii sold around 212k to date. (80k in december + 34k in january + 28 in february + 28 in march (?) + 42 in april)

So Wii sold @ 2,66 millions in NA to date. (2450k (usa) + 212k (canada))

Not bad....

Garcia

Earthstrike said:
Can someone please summarize any meltdowns I may have missed?

Well, the most recent comes from a young gamer who now has quit playing videogames for the sake of brand loyalty.

Xeke

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . OK . . . they'll just release a magic HD chip that you can slide into the SDRAM slot.

And even though Nintendo can sell a waggle-mote with game for $50, it would be impossible for Microsoft or Sony to do so even though their systems have flexible wireless controller interfaces that have already been used to implement other controllers such as disc player remotes, steering wheels, headsets, etc.

Clearly I'm wasting my time here.

Yea...Cause Sony and MS just have them developed and ready to go.

Peripherals don't sell consoles. Neither do cheap knock offs.

Top Bottom