• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

RBH

Pokeylongo said:
gbasskicking.gif

:lol

TJ Spyke

Battersea, based on my numbers (which I use at Wikipedia), the Wii is at about 7.26 million (2.745 million North America, 2.424 million Japan, 2 million Europe, 86K Australia/New Zealand).

santouras

crbowen said:
Wii360 owner here. I have to disagree with you. After playing last gen on a shitty 27'' tube tv, I upgraded to a 42'' plasma. Playing Metroid Prime, Zelda WW, Pikmin 2 and F-Zero GX in 480p on the Wii blew me away. As did Zelda TP.

I'm prefectly satisfied with how the Wii looks on my tv, no regrets.
yeah when I got my LCD and some component cables I was floored by how gorgous wind waker and metroid where.

sonycowboy said:
April 2007

Nintendo DS 471k
Wii 360k
PlayStation 2 194k
PlayStation Portable 183k
Xbox 360 174k
Game Boy Advance 84k
PlayStation 3 82k
GameCube 13k

Nintendo DS 500k
Playstation 2 250k
Wii 285k
360 290k
Playstation Portable 150k
GBA 130k
PS3 100k
Gamecube 13,000
Xbox (why do people still include this?)

Not bad, not great. lol ps3. thats crazy.

:lol at the GIFs. Classic.

Why are the "next gen elitists" so bitter about this anyway? Companies are going to stop making Gears of War and Halo and Splinter Cell and Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden and GTA now?

There's still enough userbase between the 360 + PS3 + PC to get those types of projects greenlit ad nauseum. If anything the "splintering" of this hardcore market into 3 now will force 3rd parties to develop these bigger projects across all three platforms. Do you really want to pay $600 for MGS4 when you could pay perhaps $300 next year? What good did Sony's "backroom politics" in securing most major 3rd party exclusives really do for the gamer? It killed a perfectly good system in the Dreamcast and drove Sega out of the market .... uh ... yeah .... that sure was awesome.

The Wii is just a more lighthearted, mass appeal type of alternative that's expanding the draw of gaming and easing a lot of those anti-social stereotypes that cling to the game industry like a plague. On top of being pretty fun and bringing some new types of control to the table (long overdue anyway).

What's the problem really? Without the Wii I bet projects like NiGHTS 2, Rygar, and Ghost Squad wouldn't be coming to any console period. It's opened up a nice option for these types of franchises that publishers might otherwise send out to pasture or relegate to the handheld or arcade market.

legend166 said:
Where's Luke Smith when you need someone to laugh at?
I'm sure he's been lurking...it's NPD day, after all...but since he's on one side of the fence, professionally, I think he's discouraged from being able to express himself on the subject in public. I've a feeling that he's laughed at the Sony numbers, though.

GhaleonEB

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm sure he's been lurking...it's NPD day, after all...but since he's on one side of the fence, professionally, I think he's discouraged from being able to express himself on the subject in public. I've a feeling that he's laughed at the Sony numbers, though.
As have we all.

MightyHedgehog said:

well he posted once in this thread...somewhere. And of course he laughed at the Sony numbers, its hard not to.

Dr.zs

Banned
soundwave05 said:
:lol at the GIFs. Classic.

Why are the "next gen elitists" so bitter about this anyway? Companies are going to stop making Gears of War and Halo and Splinter Cell and Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden and GTA now?

There's still enough userbase between the 360 + PS3 + PC to get those types of projects greenlit ad nauseum. If anything the "splintering" of this hardcore market into 3 now will force 3rd parties to develop these bigger projects across all three platforms. Do you really want to pay $600 for MGS4 when you could pay perhaps $300 next year?

The Wii is just a more lighthearted, mass appeal type of alternative that's expanding the draw of gaming and easing a lot of those anti-social stereotypes that cling to the game industry like a plague. On top of being pretty fun and bringing some new types of control to the table (long overdue anyway).

What's the problem really? Without the Wii I bet projects like NiGHTS 2, Rygar, and Ghost Squad wouldn't be coming to any console period. It's opened up a nice option for these types of franchises that publishers might otherwise send out to pasture or relegate to the handheld or arcade market.

I could not have said it better myself.

I had a fried egg and a pot of coffee, myself. Breakfast rules.

Edit - Sorry, I apologize. Obviously breakfast is only important if Luke Smith is the one eating it, even if it's the most important meal of the day.

GhaleonEB said:
As have we all.
Yes, true. It's just not quite as satisfying anymore since Sony's like that guy you might know with Tourette syndrome...you might stifle a laugh here and there, but you kinda feel bad afterward. Sony's gonna need a Rocky IV-like montage...and then get into the ring by Fall if they wanna have a chance.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Grecco said:
Make fun of him if you want. But doubt he cares.
I'm not making fun of him, in fact I have great respect for him. I'm laughing about how much GAF obsesses over the guy. Give him some respite.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
gketter said:
well he posted once in this thread...somewhere. And of course he laughed at the Sony numbers, its hard not to.

He's sure not laughing at the Wii numbers.

WII IS A FAD
WII IS A FAD
WII IS A FAD
WII IS A FAD

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Still catching up on this thread in the early pages so I dunno if this has been posted yet, but I had to do it:

ouendan_s.gif

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
OH MY GAWD :lol Does the PS3 even have any major releases going into the summer? How low can it possibly go?

AtreyU

Neo Member
so April 410,000 for wii for NA confirmed?

is there a table for monthly launch totals for NA ( CAN + US + MEX? ) for all consoles/handhelds combined?

Krowley

MightyHedgehog said:

If i close my eyes and concentrate, i can hear what he would be saying on the 1up podcast and it's pretty funny, so it's all good.

Luke Smiths commentary still exists in my memories.

traficant1lh7.jpg

scottnak said:
So... cue the "I was bored..." preface explanation for doing something nerdy...
I did the number crunching for the predictions...
(161 players)
Code:
R  Player             Abs Diff
------------------------------
1  BuzzJive 		109
2  Tf53 	  	122*
3  Dimmuxx 		123
4  speculawyer 		128
5  apujanta 		129
6  Mallika 	 	138
7  DayShallCome	 	143*
8  donny2112	 	155
9  argon	 	156
10 Parl		 	158
11 Clever Pun	 	163
12 sonycowboy	 	165
13 Giddeon	 	166*
14 Pope Benedict XVI 	168
15 F#A#Oo	 	169*
16 Xabora	 	171*
17 chibicicylist 	173*  
17 corez		173*
19 Branduil	 	174
20 perfectchaos007	176
21 John Dunbar		180
22 Orgen	 	186
23 PhoenixDark	 	193*
24 Barf_The_Mog	 	194*
25 PACHTER	 	202*

* +13 penalty added for not guessing for Gamecube numbers.
So there you go.

Not that it matters, but Xbox and GC predictions have not been considered as part of the prediction competition. This stemmed from the fact that there have been some months where we didn't receive Xbox or GC numbers from NPD. I only move up a spot (maybe), but there could be a change of first place.

Tristam said:
Question: why the HELL do people think that Microsoft and Sony can release their own "waggle wands" that suddenly spell doom for Nintendo?

Why the HELL do people misquote others? Who said that it would 'suddenly spell doom' for Nintendo? It wouldn't. Nintendo has great first party IP. But waggle-wands for the 360 and/or PS3 means they could do Wii Sports clones & such . . . in HDTV. This would take away some of Nintendo's waggle-novelty.

Grecco

speculawyer said:
Why the HELL do people misquote others? Who said that it would 'suddenly spell doom' for Nintendo? It wouldn't. Nintendo has great first party IP. But waggle-wands for the 360 and/or PS3 means they could do Wii Sports clones & such . . . in HDTV. This would take away some of Nintendo's waggle-novelty.

Except it wouldnt? the fact that every game has waggle is kind of a selling point.. Its not just "wii sports" ...

all that would do is, pretty much coonfirm Nintendo was right all along... It doesnt make sense At all.

Top Bottom