• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Fdkn

I assume this guy is reliable, so here is the answer for those infamous questions

B7HAJMn.png

I now officially can't wait till the June and July NPDs. If the new SKU doesn't start to tip the scale... WOW!

Good luck MS. Good luck Sony!

Also... Where are the bar, line, and pie charts?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
By their own admission the NPD group only covers 60% of the US market.

"The NPD Group’s total US numbers are based on reports from around 60 percent of US retailers."

Taken from one of their own PR statements.
Using quotes from 2007 is very relevant in May 2014.

Why would someone ban him for giving his opinion?
It's not an opinion being expressed when you're talking numbers in a NPD thread the way they are being stated here.

It was immediately suspicious when Sony hardware dropped off the map, and it happened just as the Wii and the 360 were starting to rival the PS3 in North America.

So I'm sure you can see why I feel as I do.

Say what now? The Wii and 360 never "started to rival" the PS3 here, they brutalized it from Day 1.

NPD has been cracking down on information leaks, and giving out less information publicly for years. And if you want an explanation for the PR (or lack thereof), you'd be better off looking at personnel and policy changes within Sony, instead of some crackpot conspiracy theory about data that every video game company accepts as accurate.

Flo_Evans

Question:

How long can the NPD group continue to not track digital sales and still remain relevant?

"The NPD Group’s total US numbers are based on reports from around 60 percent of US retailers."

So how long before NPD starts providing digital sales numbers? And how would that work? Would they have to partner with the various content providers? Would they simply provide estimates?

They are relevant to retailers...

They just released something that said digital is growing but it is still <25% or retail.

Proponent

Banned
Someone who knows the actual number said under 200K. I believe him or her.

Ahh. Yeah then my original guesses were both pretty spot on with 100k and 200k.

PS4 might be at 185k then. I'd be off by 15k on both respectively.

I know here in Austin, TX- PS4 sales have dramatically slowed. They have been stocked up everywhere for the better part over a month now. Wal-Mart, Target etc. I see them there every time I drop in.

Does anyone know or have Infamous SS lifetime to date sales? For curiosity.

Kysen

Sony needs to drop the PS4 price in the US only by another $50-$70 just to put the knife in. Gotta be pure panic mode up at Redmond.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
3DS numbers are bad as usual. Smash on 3DS will be one of the more interesting sales age stories to watch. I've been on the side that it won't do as well as the Wii U version in the west, and will fail to do that much as the local mp is so important.

XB1 was advertised as second best-selling console; don't MS PR usually exclude handhelds in that thinking?

Question:

How long can the NPD group continue to not track digital sales and still remain relevant?

So how long before NPD starts providing digital sales numbers? And how would that work? Would they have to partner with the various content providers? Would they simply provide estimates?
For software? Probably another three years, max, before they stop publishing software charts due to the digital stores refusing to provide numbers.

For hardware? Well, you can't download a PS4, so all eternity.

Kiote

Question:

60% is well above the necessary sample size to reduce the margin to 1 or 2 percentage points. It is highly unlikely that any one console is favoring digital purchases over another by more than a few points.

You don't know the numbers.

And Opus not being banned even though a mod is here gives credence to what is said.
What is Opus an insider? See I don't know that. But I do know it doesn't make sense to say "almost 2:1" of 115K if the actual number's under 200k. That'd be a bad way to phrase it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From IGN

Interestingly, if software sales data was counted on a by-SKU basis -- meaning that game sales were tabulated per-console instead of combined, Yoshi's New Island (3DS), Infamous: Second Son (PS4), MLB 14: The Show (PS3), Kinect Sports Rival (Xbox One), and Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox One) all would have charted.

CLEEK

Microsoft must be shitting themselves.

How did they let things get this bad?

If anything, the sales of the Xbone are much higher than they could have been, and they've done a lot in a short time to improve its desirability.

Had they released the Xbox with the original plan of DRM, always online, no used game, mandatory Kinect, the charts could very well have seen it being sold each month by Ouya or Nvidia Shield.

Their #1 problem has always been that the Xbone isn't a good value proposition. Even with the unbundling of Kinect and the price drop, you're still paying the same price as a PS4 for a much, much weaker console.

They need to undercut the PS4 by a noticeable amount. They people will buy the Xbone. PS4 owners would be more likely to get one just for exclusives. But not at current prices.

Foshy

I assume this guy is reliable, so here is the answer for those infamous questions

B7HAJMn.png
I can't believe this.

I can't.

In the first month, maybe I could. But a month after launch? Titanfall should have better legs as a MP game, goddamn.

Question:

EXTREMELY wrong. NPD covers 90-95% of the market.

Top Bottom