• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

I assume this guy is reliable, so here is the answer for those infamous questions

B7HAJMn.png
Can't wait to get this when I finally pick up a PS4.

Tamanon

Banned
I sense the lowish sales for Kinect Sports Rivals also drove the decision to drop Kinect. If having it packed in with each console still didn't sell a tentpole Kinect game, there's no point.

Please provide data that confirms what you are saying. Because I have a quote from the NPD itself. Please show your work otherwise I have no reason to believe you. 95% seems improbable at best. They didn't suddenly cover a new 35% of the market since 2007.

Yes they did.

Here you go:

By the way, in terms of NPD retail marketshare, here is approximately where the major retailers lie:

1) GameStop - 30%

2) Wal-Mart - 25%

3) Target - 15%

4) Best Buy - 12%

5) Amazon - 6%

6) Toys R Us - 1%

7) Kmart / Sears - 1%

8) Others - 10%

So any Best Buy retail insights are quite important as a representative sample of NPD. Amazon is important as well, although not as much.

The reason I ALWAYS say that NPD is 90-95% accurate is because NPD directly tracks point-of-sale information given to them as part of agreements with all of the major retailers:

1) GameStop - 30%
- GameStop / gamestop.com gives NPD their direct POS information for all of their USA-based stores + their website

2) Wal-Mart - 25%
- Wal-Mart / walmart.com + Sam's Club / samsclub.com give NPD their direct POS information for all of their USA-based stores + their websites

3) Target - 15%
- Target / target.com gives NPD their direct POS information for all of their USA-based stores + their website

4) Best Buy - 12%
- Best Buy / bestbuy.com gives NPD their direct POS information for all of their USA-based stores + their website

5) Amazon - 6%
- amazon.com gives NPD their direct POS information for their website

6) Toys R Us - 1%
- Toys R Us / toysrus.com gives NPD their direct POS information for all of their USA-based stores + their website

7) Kmart / Sears - 1%
- Kmart / kmart.com + Sears / sears.com give NPD their direct POS information for all of their USA-based stores + their websites

8) Others - 10%

NPD tracks many other retailers than just the 7 listed ones, but the mere fact that the above seven retailers comprise 90% of the retail market means that, by default, NPD is at least 90% accurate.

The reason I say "90-95%" is because I believe that NPD tracks an extra 5% of the market beyond those 7 retailers, so only 5% of the market is actually estimated.

So whenever websites (like Chartz) claim that NPD is inaccurate or "just an estimate like Chartz," that's based on misinformation. NPD is 90%-95% real data. That's why every major video game company takes NPD data pretty much as fact for the massive sector of the industry it represents (USA physical retail).

Well this certainly clarifies the reason for the new SKU. Kudos to MS for continuing to release the number, ugly as it is.

Yeah, it's refreshing to see a straightforward answer from them. They are acknowledging the sales are bad, but also letting us know what they're doing to fix it.

Amir0x

Banned
AND inFamous outsold Titanfall in its second month? This is a straight thrubbing. The media hyped up Titanfall as the literal next coming of jesus, and the results are clear. They were marketing straight up for an 8.0 game whose balance issues and stability issues made tens of thousands of TF gamers leave its ecosystem already. Even if they genuinely felt the way they did about its quality, the articles and defense they ran for Microsoft whenever they analyzed its upcoming impact deserve serious scrutiny.

The systems issues are far deeper than just its price.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I usually don't pay attention to sales-age, but when was the last time a COD game was not on the top 10 chart?

Sydle

So where is Xbox One tracking compared to PS3 at a similar point in time? Microsoft pretty much has the same exact situation on their hands, so it would be interesting to see if they follow a similar trend, pulling up over the next few years.

TitanFall needed a SP campaign, more modes, more maps, etc. Hopefully it's in better shape this fall to win some players back.

d0nnie

Banned
Price drop?

It would have to be a substantial price drop...below the PS4 threshold.

I mean, at $399 with no Kinect and no games...it's no better than at $450 with a bundled game (and XBL sub in some cases) and the Kinect. The March unofficial price cut didn't really boost up the numbers in comparison to the PS4.

I don't know if MSFT investors will allow the Xbox division to sell XBOs at a loss this early into the cycle (assuming that it's less than $399).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
"Infamous was the best selling next gen game in a month where no one was buying or using their next gen systems"

I assume this guy is reliable, so here is the answer for those infamous questions

B7HAJMn.png

If it did then Sony should provide some numbers instead of giving them to some random guy on Twitter. (I know he's trusted by some of you.)

Because honestly this seems like damage control to cover for the fact that ISS dropped completely off the map.

I have a feeling that I should post a time stamped pic of my copy of the game along with an image of me kissing my PS4 otherwise I'm going to be met with pitchforks and torches for making this statement. :)

Bobb

I usually don't pay attention to sales-age, but when was the last time a COD game was not on the top 10 chart?

Good point. The series kept the industry healthy...I wonder if another genre is going to take over this generation.

Let's do some on-a-napkin calculations.

"PS4 software combined with Xbox One software sales are up over 40 percent compared to sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months.

I presume we can work out a lower bound for PS4 sales off this.

Top Bottom