• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 is demolishing the other next gen platforms, but is anybody else getting the sense that a whole lot of people are feeling like 'nah, I'm fine with my Xbox 360, thanks!'?

That's definitley the case in the us. The console war here will really heat up this fall and beyond as more next gen games roll out and more of them start taking the plunge.

Kusagari

yea by like 300k? titanfall was hyped as the next cod mw by media and MS. it outsold infamous close to 2-1 last month so yes it is surprising that the game doesn't have as much legs and got outsold by infamous this month.

Unless Sony included bundles in that number, which I doubt, it's not surprising at all. Any early adapter who was going to buy Titanfall on the bone likely did it last month and the new system buyers probably got the Titanfall bundle.

Microsoft has done so much right since launch, but damn the long-term damage of the initial announcement(s) is killing them right now. I really believe they have a much better software library atm, which is a shame for them. Phil Spencer surely has his work cut out for him. I'm still on the fence, myself.

It's a good system. If they bring the games along with a reasonable price point they will be alright in my opinion

Why the fuck is msft still dicking around with a June 9 date for the price drop?

The cat is out of the bag - why let sales erode even further for another month?

Given they've been channel stuffing (didn't sell through launch allocation and then the Titanfall bundle SKU) they have stacks of Xbones out there that won't work without Kinect and will need patching.

They're going to have to create a new SKU with whatever software update allows Kinect to be removed pre-applied.

someday

Banned
I can't believe this.

I can't.

In the first month, maybe I could. But a month after launch? Titanfall should have better legs as a MP game, goddamn.

Not having a single-player mode turned off a lot of people. I would have bought it for my 360 if it had one (not that that helps X1 sales). I might have gotten an X1 if it had a great single-player though and I would have stayed for the multi. Hell, I won't buy Titanfall2 if it's multi only either.

FDC1

Stop guys with the Under 5K Vita thing, there is zero source about that for the moment (not saying the final result will be far away but still)

EL CUCO

Vita is such a mammoth, colossal failure. They might as well just make it a Japan only device. For all the doom and gloom the Wii U gets, the Vita is right up there for the most irrelevant platform released in the West. I mean, I think the 32X and Game Gear had more market penetration. Then again, Sony likes to hang onto dying divisions so I guess they'll keep supporting Vita.

Hyperbole, how does it work?

An Infamous title beating a highly marketed, highly rated FPS on an Xbox console void of new software? Yeah, noone expected that this soon.

I really expected Titanfall to boost X1 sales for many months but to see it get that kick for only 1 month and then fall completely flat the next? Surprising, very surprising.

This summer is going to be brutal if the price drop doesn't do anything. I've been surprised pretty much this whole gen so it would not shock me anymore if it didnt.

Sony may as well dump the Vita. It's obvious that PS4 owners aren't buying it for remote play in any great numbers and that was really its last hope.

I'm surprised some people consider Titanfall a flop given that it's been number 1 for 2 straight months and it's been number 1/2 in the UK charts pretty much every week since it launched.

Welp Infamous fell pretty quick but it sold better than its previous entries right? Guess it did its job.

I'd say so. The top 10 software list is full of multiplats with the exception of that-which-will-never-die (Minecraft). I'd still like to hear how many units, digital and otherwise, that SS sold; I assume Sony or Sucker Punch will put those numbers out soon enough considering they're going with the "best selling next gen game in April" line.

coldone

Wild guess. As NPD says the total hardware sales is $192M

Xbone - 115K@$500 - $57.5M
360 - 71k@$250 - $17.7M
3DS-XL - 100K@$175 - $17.5M
PS3 - 50K@$250 - $12.5M
PS4 - 215K@$400 - $86M
Total = $192M

That's definitley the case in the us. The console war here will really heat up this fall and beyond as more next gen games roll out and more of them start taking the plunge.
Pretty much. The core gamers waiting for next gen already updated. Remember last gen was slow until 2008.
Having a 10 year console life was not unreasonable. I doubt you will see past 20 mil sold the end of 2015.

mclem

Interesting to see the different orders of platform priority on the three Lego games. I'd expect them to tap into the same audiences, yet there's quite a bit of variance as to who purchases what.

bishopp35

It was fun to watch Microsoft backtrack from all those shitty plans they had for the Xbox One . Now, I'm worried that they might not be able to compete on a level that will make Microsoft comfortable making another console.

Prelude.

There should be a note in the OP regarding Vita's stock until the 2k bundle, at least we wouldn't have hundreds of "lolz Vita is dead" or "whyyyy" throughout the thread.

Learning to read would also help.

Top Bottom