• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

I talk to a lot of people at work. And A LOT of people haven't upgraded yet. They are still waiting.

In fact: The majority of the people haven't upgraded.

Sony hasn't won this gen yet.

They need games. Good games. And they need them YESTERDAY!

Here we go with the games again.

Man, the May sales chart will be very interesting. Basically no one is going to be buying an XB1 between now and price drop - right?

Can we please stop calling it a price drop? It's a kinect less sku. Big difference! And apparently you need the kinect at this point cause you know the UI was designed around it.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmm is the Xbone really selling more software than the PS4? It's being outsold not only by the PS4 but also PS3 versions of most multiplat games except for the Lego games for some odd reason.

Would be shocked if Yoshi indeed sold more than Infamous, hopefully we'll get some numbers.
Shocked because, I kept hearing how everyone hate that game :lol

Everyone had to buy it to know they hated it

Y8reiVX.jpg

Pain

Banned
As much as I think it was a dumb claim to make for the sake of PR, that chart is showing a lot of people still happy with their 360s as a primary game system. Considering the length of the previous generation, I'm a little surprised.
There's like double the amount of 360s than PS3s in the US. Not everyone upgrades right away. But those that do are upgrading to a PS4.

I talk to a lot of people at work. And A LOT of people haven't upgraded yet. They are still waiting.

Sony already has more games than MS, and one look at Metacritic indicates they have more higher rated games as well. So what exactly is your point?

If it did then Sony should provide some numbers instead of giving them to some random guy on Twitter. (I know he's trusted by some of you.)

Like others have repeatedly told you, it's been their policy for years, whether they had a bad month or a good month. Furthermore, they didn't give numbers to Grubb.

Because honestly this seems like damage control to cover for the fact that ISS dropped completely off the map.

Only reason it didn't chart is because it's only available for a relatively new system. All the other charted games are either available on multiple systems with large install bases, or in Minecraft's case, a last gen system with a large install base.

Tamanon

Banned
It has always driven me crazy that they do not calculate NPD top ten like this. Grouping these titles in to one number provides no real insight for marketing teams, who are the primary target of NPD data. SKU by SKU numbers would be much more helpful in identifying a Consoles primary audience.

Eh, the marketing teams get actual numbers.

And breaking them out to individual SKUs just means you'd be seeing even more CoD Ghosts.

Titanfall sold ~1.1m on Xbox One alone in march.

People should stop talking like the game was a failure. At least in US is not.
As far as MS and the One are concerned, Titanfall did nothing to help the console.

Respawn and EA should be really happy, but for MS it was a failure. It was their biggest game in the year, heavily marketed, bundles all around and it still disn't make the One pass the PS4 for a single month.

Microsoft has done so much right since launch, but damn the long-term damage of the initial announcement(s) is killing them right now. I really believe they have a much better software library atm, which is a shame for them. Phil Spencer surely has his work cut out for him. I'm still on the fence, myself.

Dlacy13g

It's definitely clear that April NPD's were the nail in the coffin for "sticking it out with kinect only offering" for Xbox One. I still think MS should have come in with a Kinectless sku at $379.00 not $399.00. Its a small difference but on the shelf it would have been just that hair more attractive. Sell Kinect on its own at $139.99 and you have that price structure that makes the all in one $499 feel like a better buy if that is what a consumer wants.

Either way... April numbers were the clear pathway to a $399 sku. That price point should have always been there. MS themselves stated back when the 360 launched that $399 was a magic bullet price point.

Oh well.... the table is set...bring on E3.

Sounds like a good tagline for Back To The Future IV : Sony's Adventures In Time

Man, the May sales chart will be very interesting. Basically no one is going to be buying an XB1 between now and price drop - right?

That's what makes it not interesting. One can predict right now the Wii U is going to outsell the Xbone, as absolutely insane as that would have sounded just a week ago.

The only interesting thing to me is if the PS4 gets a bump from MLB and Watch Dogs.

PS4 is demolishing the other next gen platforms, but is anybody else getting the sense that a whole lot of people are feeling like 'nah, I'm fine with my Xbox 360, thanks!'?

Vita is such a mammoth, colossal failure. They might as well just make it a Japan only device. For all the doom and gloom the Wii U gets, the Vita is right up there for the most irrelevant platform released in the West. I mean, I think the 32X and Game Gear had more market penetration. Then again, Sony likes to hang onto dying divisions so I guess they'll keep supporting Vita.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder if 3DS/handhelds are included in that second best hardware count.

Would be shocked if Yoshi indeed sold more than Infamous, hopefully we'll get some numbers.
Shocked because, I kept hearing how everyone hate that game :lol

Me too, and how high these numbers actually are.

Why the fuck is msft still dicking around with a June 9 date for the price drop?

The cat is out of the bag - why let sales erode even further for another month?

It seems they don't pay attention to history.

Palm (The PDA company, remember?) famously fell from grace after announcing the m500 announcement. Like many months before it came out. And that meant NO ONE bought the existing Palm V until it was released.

Guess what? They lost so much money and marketshare that they never recovered.

Top Bottom