• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

tbm24

It seems they don't pay attention to history.

Palm (The PDA company, remember?) famously fell from grace after announcing the m500 announcement. Like many months before it came out. And that meant NO ONE bought the existing Palm V until it was released.

Guess what? They lost so much money and marketshare that they never recovered.

Well June 9th isn't many months away and they need to package and get the consoles out to retailers everywhere which can take some time. Can't just announce a new sku and have it ready the next day.

So I'm not seeing how what happened to Palm is in any way relevant to the Xbox.

Elios83

Marketing sometimes is irrelevant if the platform the game is available for is getting dragged through a ditch.

Infact that's the point.
This time even the same powerful marketing machine which turned games like Halo and Gears of War into major commercial successes, crashed into the wall of a console which was badly conceived and simply not well received.
But that wasn't a given, otherwise they wouldn't have wasted so much money in first place.
Games that can change the fortunes of a system exist, Titanfall just wasn't strong enough to become one of them....or probably the challenge with the XB1 was understimated.

Proponent

Banned
Sony already has more games than MS, and one look at Metacritic indicates they have more higher rated games as well. So what exactly is your point?

Less then 200k this month. People I talk to at work and in town aren't buying.

Connect the dots, you have stagnation.

Sony may as well dump the Vita. It's obvious that PS4 owners aren't buying it for remote play in any great numbers and that was really its last hope.

What they need to dump is the price or, better yet, the proprietary memory cards. I'd say a PS4/PSV bundled set for the holidays would do wonders as well.

PS4 is demolishing the other next gen platforms, but is anybody else getting the sense that a whole lot of people are feeling like 'nah, I'm fine with my Xbox 360, thanks!'?

Of course they are. Last gen is still getting a lot of the same games and everyone has their value on things and will jump in when they are ready. For a lot of people that's when it hits 299 and 199 and for others it's when the new big exclusives land. This gen has just started and on the whole it's got off to an amazing start. But it's still lacking content and priced too highly for those millions of last gen owners.

Titanfall: Haze 2013.

Now that's just.

They have no clue what they are doing, they deserve 2nd place.

They are scrambling, that's for sure. But the brand is struggling not because they haven't a clue, more like the direction they wanted to go was totally opposite of what consumers want. Now they're desperate and have started stripping once integral components out. It's quite a disaster on many fronts.

Sony hasn't won this gen yet.

They need games. Good games. And they need them YESTERDAY!

Sony can win this gen without many good games. That's how bad this gen is for MS. I predict only a small bump when the price drops.

JaggedSac

It was fun to watch Microsoft backtrack from all those shitty plans they had for the Xbox One . Now, I'm worried that they might not be able to compete on a level that will make Microsoft comfortable making another console.

DonMattrick_GDCCanada2009screen.jpg

pswii60

Given they've been channel stuffing (didn't sell through launch allocation and then the Titanfall bundle SKU) they have stacks of Xbones out there that won't work without Kinect and will need patching.

They're going to have to create a new SKU with whatever software update allows Kinect to be removed pre-applied.
Xbone already works without Kinect.

PS4 is demolishing the other next gen platforms, but is anybody else getting the sense that a whole lot of people are feeling like 'nah, I'm fine with my Xbox 360, thanks!'?

I know plenty of people myself who are saying they're still waiting it out a couple more years. The question is, how many people have left the Microsoft camp for the other side so far? Also, the 360 and PS3 are still viable platforms and will likely remain so for the next 3-4 years.

Games like Infamous:SS and Ryse are very impressive visually, but I think we need that "Fight Night Moment" like we got last-gen, where there was a massive jump in overall IQ over the previous generation. I think whenever that game arrives, be it multiplatform or exclusive, there will be a mass exodus of players still on the previous-gen consoles.

Maligna

Banned
Vita is such a mammoth, colossal failure. They might as well just make it a Japan only device. For all the doom and gloom the Wii U gets, the Vita is right up there for the most irrelevant platform released in the West. I mean, I think the 32X and Game Gear had more market penetration. Then again, Sony likes to hang onto dying divisions so I guess they'll keep supporting Vita.

Spoken like someone who doesn't own a Vita. The thing is as darling to gamers as the Dreamcast was. Those who have it, love it. Shame the rest of the world doesn't jump in on it too.

If the PS4 is only around 200k, then it looks like everything is trailing off for the consoles. I wondered if we'd have another Wii U situation: a bang out of the gate and then losing steam once all the dedicated had picked up theirs.

DNAbro

Vita sales are likely lower than average cause of the slim coming out in May. Should see a bump, but who knows how big.

GameSeeker

I assume this guy is reliable, so here is the answer for those infamous questions

B7HAJMn.png

This is more surprising than Xbox One only selling 115k.

Titanfall had 1 good month on Xbox One (March), after that it's falling rapidly with Infamous:SS beating it. Who would have guessed that? Titanfall wasn't a system seller in any way - low HW sales for XBox One in Mar and Apr compared to PS4. (Sales of Titanfall on 360 are good for EA/Respawn but don't help MS in the next-gen fight).

Gorillaz

Well nothing real major this month came out but hopefully watch doggies next month and MK8 should get the sales going again hardware wise

JaggedSac

This is more surprising than Xbox One only selling 115k.

Titanfall had 1 good month on Xbox One (March), after that it's falling rapidly with Infamous:SS beating it. Who would have guessed that? Titanfall wasn't a system seller in any way - low HW sales for XBox One in Mar and Apr compared to PS4. (Sales of Titanfall on 360 are good for EA/Respawn but don't help MS in the next-gen fight).

What are the userbase sizes for PS4 and Bone in US?

GamerJM

Banned
There should be a note in the OP regarding Vita's stock until the 2k bundle, at least we wouldn't have hundreds of "lolz Vita is dead" or "whyyyy" throughout the thread.

Supply constrained or not, the fact that any platform sold literally less than 5000 units within a single month in the entire US is pretty crazy, even if it's not necessarily wholly indicative of how well it's doing in general.

Eusis

It's been going for quite a while.

The trick is that when kids grow up, new kids come in to replace them.
Not only that, but the series is effectively 10 years old now.

If it was going to collapse as a short term fad it would've done so by now, at worst releasing this many games won't be as viable in a few years but will do enough to justify developing at least one a year. Hell, I almost expect we're seeing as many as we do half because of the generational shift, ahlf because it's easy to recycle stuff to build another game quickly.

Top Bottom