• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

Ryng_tolu

Banned
“Hardware sales declined 23 percent compared to April 2015, with the majority of the decline due to a 19 percent or $30.4 million decline in console hardware sales,” said Callahan. “Compared to last year, dollar spending for [current-generation] consoles decreased by 15 percent with an over 70 percent decline in [last-generation] consoles. Portables also dropped by $11.3 million in sales over last April.”

This doesn't really say much, all considering, if we don't know the % decrease over last year.

There wasn''t really anything in April but Bravely Second (whose audience would already own a 3DS), and no limited edition console releases like FE in Feb and Zelda in March for fans to buy again. It's also tax season so parents could possibly be holding off buying their kids the device.

I can believe it.

In March to April 2011 3DS is dropped by 51%, and March 2011 was the Launch month of 3DS.

In 2012 March to April 3DS is dropped by 46%, 3DS got nothing in April while March was Kid Icarus month, not a big system seller but bigger than nothing.

In 2013 3DS is dropped by 51%, March 2013 was Luigi Smansion month which sold 415,000 in launch month, April got nothing.

2014 dropped by 33%, and in 2015 dropped by 56%.

No, a drop is of course expect, but a 74% dropped when in March it got literally nothing (outside Hyrule Warriors which has sold less than Bravely Second, so yeah...) just sound crazy.

Even XBox one in March / April 2014 which was Titanfall month (1.08m first month) "only" dropped by 63%, and this was the bigger drop ever March to April this generation.

demigod

Wow, i was going to say give it another month before the price drops but damn! Like what 5 weeks and it dropped 1/3 already?

Shin-chan

Wow, i was going to say give it another month before the price drops but damn! Like what 5 weeks and it dropped 1/3 already?
Didn't Sunet Overdrive get the same treatment as well as a free weekend. I guess you can't do that with QB because most people can see the whole thing in that time.

Maniel

Banned
PS4 (174,600) + XBO (186,800) + Wii U (43,000) + 360 (25,300) + PS3 (28,000) + 3DS (116,000) + PSVTV (2,500) = 576,200

Adding Wii and PSVita (no TV), maybe >580K ?

>580K / 100 * 77 = >446,600 ?

446,600 - PS4 (174,800) = 271,800
271,800 - XBO (167,600) = 104,200
104,200 - Wii U (32,300) = 71,900
71,900 - PS3/360 (16,200) = 55,700
55,700 - PSVTV (>5,000) < 50,700

This should leave something like... 50k or so for PSVita and 3DS COMBINED?

I mean, this can't be right... let's say PSV is 5k or so, this is something like 45k for 3DS, when last month was 170k? that's a freaking -74% MOM drop.

Unless i miss something, but i hard believe it honestly...
The problem is that you are using a revenue drop of 23% and equating it to a 23% drop in unit sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The problem is that you are using a revenue drop of 23% and equating it to a 23% drop in unit sales.

Didn't Welfare said it's hardware sales in unit and not in revenue?

I asked for it and i also precisely separate it. :p maybe Welfare did not understand... so is 23% only for revenue?

LordRaptor

But the revenue per unity of a handheld being so much lower than a home console, that becomes more confusing, as it equates to a bigger hardware drop.

eg assuming an averaged $100 per unit hardware for the 3DS, you're looking at a revenue drop from $17million to $4.5million using Ryng_Tolus numbers, which is significantly more than 23%

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'll be picking it up this fall. Should be at a great price around that time.

That's my game plan.

Besides, I don't think it would do QB any favors to play the game so close to Uncharted 4. All the dust will have cleared by Black Friday and I can give the game a fresh look at that point.

Maniel

Banned

I asked for it and i also precisely separate it. :p maybe Welfare did not understand... so is 23% only for revenue?
I think the confusion comes from Welfare's wording. I'm pretty sure he meant hardware revenue was down 23%, but if he could chime in that would help.

It's dropping further next week...Kinda shocked to see this critically acclaimed mega hit dropping so fast in price...

This week it's $39.99 at Best Buy before GCU...Next week it's $34.99 at Best Buy before GCU...

So if you can wait a week, you can save another $5...

Also, it appears there are more Xbox One deals this month at Best Buy , including getting a free $50 gift card this week, and a free game next week with purchase of Xbox One console...

I looked back on the Venturebeat article. It says: "Hardware: $142.1 million in March 2016 (down 23 percent from $183.7 million)"

The phrase "down 23 percent from $183.7 million" shows that the percentage refers to revenue, not hardware sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I looked back on the Venturebeat article. It says: "Hardware: $142.1 million in March 2016 (down 23 percent from $183.7 million)"

The phrase "down 23 percent from $183.7 million" shows that the percentage refers to revenue, not hardware sales.

Ok, this make much more sense now.

Soooooooo yeah, withouth Cream we won't know 3DS sales this month........ ._.

Shin-Ra

Alan Wake 2 is most certainly happening. But they will probably adjust their budget approach. No more TV tie-in either, probably.
They can always double up on Energizer, Verizon, Nissan and Lumia/Windows 10 product placement.

Most reviews for the game were good though. If I remember correctly, Giant Bomb's ""4 out of 10"" really brought things down from a score in the 80s.

Giant Bomb's score did not bring Quantum Break down from a Meta average "in the 80s" to 77. That's not how it works. At most, it brought the game down from 79 to 77. Likely just from 78 to 77.

pastrami

Giant Bomb's score did not bring Quantum Break down from a Meta average "in the 80s" to 77. That's not how it works. At most, it brought the game down from 79 to 77. Likely just from 78 to 77.

The game has 101 reviews on Metacritic. Someone can check my math, but Giantbomb would have to be weighted 3 times as much as the average score to bring down a game from 79 to 77 with a 4/10 score (and would have to have given it a -3/10 to bring it down those 2 points assuming Giantbomb had equal weight with the other scores).

And to be fair to Bgamer90, if Giantbomb was among the first reviews counted on Metacritic, it very well could have brought down the score from 80s to a 77. But then the assumption would be that every review after Giantbomb also averaged 77.

Like Lumia will even be around by the time Remedy finishes another game.

Well Lumia yes, but Windows Phone will still be around.

BTW, Quantum Break still sold well, not sure what the issue here is in this thread. I mean, it's faster selling than Ryse and SO, and Ryse sold over 1 million in like a bit over a full year right? I mean, rules of elevation apply especially since the game seems to be getting more and more positive expressions as time goes by. The sales will continue to grow, it will likely hit 1 million by August.

Not a chance it's hitting a million by August. This is the biggest market for the game and it had the whole month to sell. Imagine how dire the sales are globally.

Ok, this make much more sense now.

Soooooooo yeah, withouth Cream we won't know 3DS sales this month........ ._.

from NPD direct-

“Hardware sales declined 23 percent compared to April 2015, with the majority of the decline due to a 19 percent or $30.4MM decline in console hardware sales. Compared to last year, dollar spending for 8th generation consoles decreased by 15 percent with an over 70 percent decline in 7th generation consoles. Portables also dropped by $11.3MM in sales over last April.”

“Despite these declines, keep in mind that Xbox One and PS4 are trending over 40 percent higher in cumulative sales after 30 months in the market compared to their predecessors.”

BTW, Quantum Break still sold well, not sure what the issue here is in this thread. I mean, it's faster selling than Ryse and SO, and Ryse sold over 1 million in like a bit over a full year right? I mean, rules of elevation apply especially since the game seems to be getting more and more positive expressions as time goes by. The sales will continue to grow, it will likely hit 1 million by August.

Remember that Ryse at a million sold was still enough of a financial bomb for Crytek that they nearly went bankrupt. Quantum Break likely cost much more to make considering it's lengthy development time and the whole TV show thing they did. 1 million sales for what was supposed to be a blockbuster AAA title, with the amount of marketing it got, would still be a sales failure. If it does get to a million at some point, it'll likely be behind enormous discounts anyway, the game is already being discounted at retailers.

Not a chance it's hitting a million by August. This is the biggest market for the game and it had the whole month to sell. Imagine how dire the sales are globally.

It was released in april and is a new IP.

According to MS it's selling faster than RYSE.

The Pal thread had it charting in EU countries.

The games visibility is increasing as we speaks. Rules of Elevation apply.

I think there's a chance of hitting 1 million by at least sept, and then after a slwodown,t here will be ok Holiday sales, and then from there it'll probably just sell a bit here and there. I don't expect LTD to pass 2 million but it could.

Remember that Ryse at a million sold was still enough of a financial bomb for Crytek that they nearly went bankrupt. Quantum Break likely cost much more to make considering it's lengthy development time and the whole TV show thing they did. 1 million sales for what was supposed to be a blockbuster AAA title, with the amount of marketing it got, would still be a sales failure. If it does get to a million at some point, it'll likely be behind enormous discounts anyway, the game is already being discounted at retailers.

I know you didn't just compare a Cry engine 3 game by a developer that mismanaged resources and money, and producing only a few well selling titles, to a game by Remedy.

We have no idea if 1 million is the goal to reach what MS/Remedy consider a good palce to be so i don't think guessing really helps.

When did QB get "great" reviews?

Didn't say it did, just something people said about QB before release, too. It reviewed OK, though.

The point being these new Microsoft IPs are neither getting "great" reviews (though QB and SO were mostly positive) nor selling well. Maybe Scalebound breaks the mold with the first part, but the second part seems like a long shot given the MS's previous failed attempts to launch a new IP on this box and that Platinum games frequently struggle to sell well.

Post Scalebound, it will be people making the same post about whatever new game Microsoft announces sometime in the next year. And we'll probably be able to snark about how people said the same thing about Scalebound before it disappointed on the market.

demigod

SO metacritic is higher than QB and word of mouth didn't help that game. It was also released close to the holidays where the big games come out. QB had no competition, unless you're desperate and think R&C is, lol. If you can't see the issue with long development, big budget along with marketing, i have nothing else to tell you. QB won't even chart in May.

SO metacritic is higher than QB and word of mouth didn't help that game. It was also released close to the holidays where the big games come out. QB had no competition, unless you're desperate and think R&C is, lol. If you can't see the issue with long development, big budget along with marketing, i have nothing else to tell you. QB won't even chart in May.

Why are you comparsing SO to QB, they are two different games psuhed two, different ways, at 2 different times.

Also i have no idea what MC has to do with anything,.

So was a decently but not heavily advertised game, that was the type of game that a lot of modern gamers aren't attracted too much to, while being used to push the white Xbox which at that point was limited run, and those ran out quick.

QB did have competition, it was a new IP, in a slow month, where multiplatforms always win, speaking of, 3 multiplatform games did better than QB, and 2 did better than R&C, and R&C at $40 is a nice second game incentive to buy a PS4.

You comparing SO send out to die buy 13 games in a frame of a month or something isn't even relatable. If it released this month it may have done worse for all we know. Why do you think they were using SO as an incentive, it couldn't sell by itself.

AniHawk

i'm out of the loop. what's the deal with wanting quantum break to be a mega seller? i thought it was a holdover from microsoft's early xbox one plans that are now essentially buried. whether it was a success or not, i didn't think it was going to be continued just for it being out of its time in 2016.

Why are you comparsing SO to QB, they are two different games psuhed two, different ways, at 2 different times.

So was a decently but not heavily advertised game, that was the type of game that a lot of modern gamers aren't attracted too much to, while being used to push the white Xbox which at that point was limited run, and those ran out quick.

QB did have competition, it was a new IP, in a slow month, where multiplatforms always win, speaking of, 3 multiplatform games did better than QB, and 2 did better than R&C, and R&C at $40 is a nice second game incentive to buy a PS4.

You comparing SO send out to die buy 13 games in a frame of a month or something isn't even relatable. If it released this month it may have done worse for all we know. Why do you think they were using SO as an incentive, it couldn't sell by itself.
Huh?

demigod

The fuck? Im just quoting what you said. You said since QB is getting positive word of mouth, it should continue to sell well. It certainly didn't help SO. QB should've outsold R&C at least. Hell it got outsold by MLB and thats its 2nd month. Don't play that "slow month" card.

i'm out of the loop. what's the deal with wanting quantum break to be a mega seller? i thought it was a holdover from microsoft's early xbox one plans that are now essentially buried. whether it was a success or not, i didn't think it was going to be continued just for it being out of its time in 2016.

2 million LTD isn't a mega seller.

W.S.

It was always going to be a game with tv elements, it just took longer than usual to release.

Fans of the game want the game to succeed to get more games from it's universe.

For an Xbone game? Sure.

Uh no, not even with PS4 is that a monster.

August is 3.5 months away. We know that minimum WW LTD for QB based on the numbers in this thread and estimating it's PAL launch 200k> we don't know where it actually is over that.

That's 800k in 3.5 months. I think that's possible. Especially with the bundles still being pushed.

cilonen

August is 3.5 months away. We know that minimum WW LTD for QB based on the numbers in this thread and estimating it's PAL launch 200k> we don't know where it actually is over that.

That's 800k in 3.5 months. I think that's possible. Especially with the bundles still being pushed.

Unless it hits a Steam sale I think you're crazy.

jaina

that famous flat sales curve. I doubt it, we'll see

That's... That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Top Bottom