• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

MS has indeed some great games showcased over the years as you mentioned above. Recore had it's fair share of fans - including yourself, I still can't figure out why. There's little to be excited about based on what they showed, cause they showed very little so far - including zero gameplay. Despite what you said about Recore, all I saw was a pretty cool teaser trailer. Too early or little to judge or be excited about, IMO.

As for the insecurity thing, I guess it's for those who went nuts over the game being an exclusive to their platform of choice having known almost nothing about the game.

Speaking of recore, it's been a year I think? Hopefully MS shows something cool at the conference. Would be nice for Armature to have their first big hit.

I already told you why people might be excited… can you not think of a single game that you are interested in that has been announced with only cgi/pre-rendered trailer (no gameplay), I'm sure if you do you will find something and it'll come together.

The year long thing is a different matter, it's been a while for sure, we'll see what they've got at e3.

I'm Inclined to think games should get the benefit of the doubt to be good and worth being interested in until given something to think otherwise.

demigod

Im not sure what insecurity has to do with anything either?

The teaser was interesting with some cool ideas and possibilities, its not really the sort of game i'd necessarily expect from MS which is nice (story heavy it seems). Armature devs did good work at Nintendo for a lot of people and they talked about the story, the robots and how you can change the core and put it in other ones to do different things, dynamic weather which will open things up, Joe Staten (who was a writer at Bungie for Halo) is leading the narrative side of it for MS, Inafune has been involved in some good things - although probably a blessing he isnt entirely in charge of the project too.

Is it open-world or just hub-based? How deep does the robot stuff go? Im sure there are other common features in there which will appeal to people too

They put a teaser out there to get people interested, people are interested. Its hardly rocket science, is it? Lots of people are excited for other games which get CGI trailers and teasers in new brands, previous works of the developer etc. Insecurity has nothing to do with it. People buy a box, MS publish a game on the box from a developer with a decent (if less so lately) track record, probably got a good budget and a cool idea.

Unless you're saying that pretty much every consumer is insecure over their "favourite brand" because reasons

You seem to have a huge boner for that CGI. Thats a lot of "what ifs" you got there. If QB didnt appeal to people, Recore and Scalebound certainly won't. Those two and sea of thieves are going to bomb even worse than QB.

The only guarantee seller MS have is Gears and maybe Crackdown.

W.S.

MS has indeed some great games showcased over the years as you mentioned above. Recore had it's fair share of fans - including yourself, I still can't figure out why. There's little to be excited about based on what they showed, cause they showed very little so far - including zero gameplay. Despite what you said about Recore, all I saw was a pretty cool teaser trailer. Too early or little to judge or be excited about, IMO.

As for the insecurity thing, I guess it's for those who went nuts over the game being an exclusive to their platform of choice having known almost nothing about the game.

Speaking of recore, it's been a year I think? Hopefully MS shows something cool at the conference. Would be nice for Armature to have their first big hit.
Well it's a new MS owned IP and the trailer showed some neat concepts/art direction. For people like myself who want to see MS branch out of their usual stuff I think that's enough to at least get a little excited about.

However it is irritating to see that a CG trailer is all we have of a game that's supposedly coming out this year which I very much doubt.

Not only was it not the best selling exclusive title but it was even lower than H4 and sold less that internal estimates from retail outlets like Gamestop were projecting and that was after the abysmal launch of MCC. The real disconcerting thing about H5 though is its the best MP that franchise has had since 3 and its a wasteland compared to other games on the platform.

MS really made a mistake not investing in new exciting properties back when the 360 was selling so well and now they have gone all in with franchises that have reached a saturation point and are declining.

Those indie titles you listed are great but by no means pulling in the competitors demographic. Instead MS is selling to the same core group that has since broadened out.
What do you mean by "it's a wasteland"?

Plenty of reasons, Inafune, the setting, ex retro dev, more importantly the MS hype machine is strong on this one (just like QB).

Is Inafune really a selling point on a platform that notoriously avoids Japanese games like the plague?

As for the MS Hype Machine, someone over there needs to fix it because it hasn't been working. Their first party IP's just have not hit the mark sales wise this gen. We just had Quantum Break, despite years of hype and a huge marketing budget, debut to meh sales.

giphy.gif

Did Splatoon outsell Halo 5 in North America?

You seem to have a huge boner for that CGI. Thats a lot of "what ifs" you got there. If QB didnt appeal to people, Recore and Scalebound certainly won't. Those two and sea of thieves are going to bomb even worse than QB.

The only guarantee seller MS have is Gears and maybe Crackdown.

Lol, I presented a well thought out reply of why your insecurity point was ridiculous, why people are interested in a game and your best reply was "you have a huge boner for a cgi trailer".

I'm interested in it, we'll see what they got. Maybe it'll turn out to be a moba and then Ill have zero interest in it. A lot of what I mentioned above came from the interviews they did over e3 or otherwise.

I didn't say it was going to be good, I still don't think it's very hard to see where interest comes from in games though.

Also scalebound is fairly irrelevant to my point, I also never said It would sell

W.S.

Is Inafune really a selling point on a platform that notoriously avoids Japanese games like the plague?

As for the MS Hype Machine, someone over there needs to fix it because it hasn't been working. Their first party IP's just have not hit the mark sales wise this gen. We just had Quantum Break, despite years of hype and a huge marketing budget, debut to meh sales.

The hype machine can only do so much on a console that's not seen as widely popular so I don't think that's been the issue.

Well it's a new MS owned IP and the trailer showed some neat concepts/art direction. For people like myself who want to see MS branch out of their usual stuff I think that's enough to at least get a little excited about.

However it is irritating to see that a CG trailer is all we have of a game that's supposedly coming out this year which I very much doubt.

Only when compared to other mp games on the console

Bgamer90

Banned
Not only was it not the best selling exclusive title...

I was referring to North America. Isn't Halo 5 the reason why it was possible for MS to state their "only console with the top 10 selling 2015 games"- line?

..but it was even lower than H4

Wasn't this inevitable though considering the difference in the user base of the 360 in 2012 (late last gen) -vs.- the Xbox One in 2015 (probably not the middle point of this gen)?

The real disconcerting thing about H5 though is its the best MP that franchise has had since 3 and its a wasteland compared to other games on the platform.

I would also say that this isn't surprising with how many popular shooters there are to choose from now. I was really worried about Halo 5's release date -- it was too close to Call of Duty in my opinion.

MS really made a mistake not investing in new exciting properties back when the 360 was selling so well and now they have gone all in with franchises that have reached a saturation point and are declining.

There were new IPs when the 360 was selling well -- it's just that many of them simply didn't do well and came at a time in which the "third party multiplatform game takeover" was happening. And again, they are declining largely due to the system not doing as well as its successor.

Playstation franchises faced similar issues from PS2 -> PS3 and now they have made a comeback with the PS4 doing really well (e.g.: Ratchet and Clank).

Those indie titles you listed are great but by no means pulling in the competitors demographic. Instead MS is selling to the same core group that has since broadened out.

Of course, since again -- people are buying consoles mainly for multiplatform games. The digital titles I mentioned though will help the Xbox's game lineup if and/or when the brand comes back to being as dominate as it was during the previous gaming gen.

The exclusives that came out during the PS3's life didn't greatly help the system's situation in North America either but they helped build a base for that system's successor. These exclusive franchises are now greatly benefiting from people buying the PS4 to mainly play third party titles.

I definitely think the same is possible for Xbox One -> the Xbox One's successor... the only difference is that it's far more riskier to release experimental exclusive new IPs in retail now in comparison to 5+ years ago; Hence, the reason for me talking about new console exclusive IPs starting as digital only titles and then growing from there in my previous post.

Fady K

I already told you why people might be excited… can you not think of a single game that you are interested in that has been announced with only cgi/pre-rendered trailer (no gameplay), I'm sure if you do you will find something and it'll come together.

The year long thing is a different matter, it's been a while for sure, we'll see what they've got at e3.

I'm Inclined to think games should get the benefit of the doubt to be good and worth being interested in until given something to think otherwise.

I can think of a few games, sure. For some reason though ReCore didn't do much for me. Especially since these days we get less CGI teasers than we used to I feel. Don't get me wrong though, it's cool you're excited for it and hopefully it delivers for all of us. At least it's a new IP, let's see how it goes.

Hopefully they can show gameplay snippets since it's been a year and maybe a release date for this fall or Q1 2017.

It's certainly the biggest game Armature has worked on yet so all the best to them.

Fair enough, that makes sense. It's good to see a new IP at least. It was set for Spring 2016 previously I recall? I never believed it. Let's see some (hopefully) cool gameplay first.

W.S.

Well, from a sales sense, it looks like they were perhaps wrong.

It is what it is, I doubt any amount of multiplayer would have boosted sales for the title since there are other factors in play.

I'm personally not convinced it was a complete sales failure but I'm sure if they make a sequel it won't be as budget heavy as this one probably was.

Saty

Thing is, i would have been very surprised if QB on Steam wouldn't have at least matched these numbers for the same time period. MS sacrificed the game on UWP's alter. Moreover, it's best selling point is as technological and graphical showcase yet they released the PC version broken and using the reconstruction technique they had to use for the XB1 version.

Conduit

Banned
Wasn't this inevitable though considering the difference in the user base of the 360 in 2012 (late last gen) -vs.- the Xbox One in 2015 (probably not the middle point of this gen)?

Isn't the X360 userbase were smaller for Halo 3 than Xbone userbase for Halo 5?

Lots of "living, breathing worlds" and those kinds of pitches.

So pretty much everything always online. Yeah. No thanks.

Still that's the way the industry is going whether people like me like it or not.

Pretty much the only games I feel has done it in a way that I like is the souls series and honestly can't see how you can monetize that outside of selling costumes and emotes.

Bgamer90

Banned
Wasn't the X360 userbase smaller for Halo 3 than Xbone userbase for Halo 5?

Yep. Xbox 360's user base with Halo 4 was still far larger than both.

Xbox 360's userbase in 2012 (70 million) is far greater than the 360's in 2007 and Xbox One's in 2015 combined.

Chris1

I think people are writing Sea of Thieves off too early. It's a shared world game, which is the big thing this gen. It's also got pirates, AC4 everyone loved. It could be a big hit if MS can get it into peoples hands via a beta or the game preview and Rare get the gameplay right.

The art style is a problem, but a good beta can fix that. Look at Overwatch, that has a similarish art style (cartoony) and is no doubt going to be a huge hit.

It is what it is, I doubt any amount of multiplayer would have boosted sales for the title since there are other factors in play.

I'm personally not convinced it was a complete sales failure but I'm sure if they make a sequel it won't be as budget heavy as this one probably was.

It was a sales failure. I would be shocked if MS made another exclusive with Remedy

I was referring to North America. Isn't Halo 5 the reason why it was possible for MS to state their "only console with the top 10 selling 2015 games"- line?

I would also say that this isn't surprising with how many popular shooters there are to choose from now. I was really worried about Halo 5's release date -- it was too close to Call of Duty in my opinion.

There were new IPs when the 360 was selling well -- it's just that many of them simply didn't do well and came at a time in which the "third party multiplatform game takeover" was happening. And again, they are declining largely due to the system not doing as well as its successor.

Playstation franchises faced similar issues from PS2 -> PS3 and now they have made a comeback with the PS4 doing really well (e.g.: Ratchet and Clank).

Of course, since again -- people are buying consoles mainly for multiplatform games. The digital titles I mentioned though will help the Xbox's game lineup if and/or when the brand comes back to being as dominate as it was during the previous gaming gen.

The exclusives that came out during the PS3's life didn't greatly help the system's situation in North America either but they helped build a base for that system's successor. These exclusive franchises are now greatly benefiting from people buying the PS4 to mainly play third party titles.

I definitely think the same is possible for Xbox One -> the Xbox One's successor... the only difference is that it's far more riskier to release experimental exclusive new IPs in retail now in comparison to 5+ years ago; Hence, the reason for me talking about new console exclusive IPs starting as digital only titles and then growing from there in my previous post.

Good points I agree with a lot of that

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
so basically dont make any new IPs unless they're open world multiplayer with RPG elements, got it

And even then, Scalebound still gon bomb smh
Or budget them appropriately? Could work for Sony and Microsoft. Hard to make it work given opportunity cost at the major publishers.

Gaming is kinda screwed. I mean there's obviously a yearning in the core for titles reminiscent of yesteryear. Ratchet shows that. So does the outpouring of support for games like bloodstained, mn9, and Shenmue. But even ratchet...let's say it sells 1mm globally, meaning it still has a long way to go.

Is that profitable?

What games in particular?

I've never particularly had an issue finding a match on the MP portion of Halo 5 and it's updates have been keeping it lively as far as I've been on it.

I don't have an issue either but it's behind every other shooter - COD, BF, R6...

If I recall from an old episode of podcast Beyond, Gears 3 outsold every single PlayStation first party game combined the year it came out. This included Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Socom 4, Infamous 2, Killzone 3, Little Big Planet 2 and Motorstorm: Apocalypse. Let's see if Gears 4 can do the same lol.

W.S.

It was a sales failure. I would be shocked if MS made another exclusive with Remedy
I wouldn't be that shocked, they have the Northlight engine up and running so there's less of an uphill battle in having to develop a whole new engine on top of a tv show and hollywood talent.

I don't have an issue either but it's behind every other shooter - COD, BF, R6...
Okay...but how is Halo 5's online a wasteland?

sackninja

If I recall from an old episode of podcast Beyond, Gears 3 outsold every single PlayStation first party game combined the year it came out. This included Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Socom 4, Infamous 2, Killzone 3, Little Big Planet 2 and Motorstorm: Apocalypse. Let's see if Gears 4 can do the same lol.

Yeah I can almost 100 percent guarantee that isnt true.

Moreche

As much as I love my PS4 and Xbox One, I would hate to be in charge of Sony and MS.
I have no,idea how they will manage to take these divisions forward. Console gaming does not have a great future.

synce

Hardware sales are down, well I suppose that's going to be happening every month now that everyone knows the current consoles will be obsolete later this year.

ps3ud0

Who props up Remedy if its not MS? I cant imagine the way they develop games makes them appealing to third party publishers and without megahits like R* someone like Take Two wouldnt even consider building their whole company around.

We always hear about the side projects Platinum and Insomniac and the like are taking. Does Remedys size just makes those ends meet?

ps3ud0 8)

DayEnder

Alan Wake 2 is most certainly happening. But they will probably adjust their budget approach. No more TV tie-in either, probably.

I'd prefer a new IP to going back to Alan Wake again (especially since I really didn't like American Nightmare).
Also, they would be missing out on some serious Surface and Windows Phone product placement potential if they remove the TV tie-in though. /s

That's not true either, since all of those games perform better on PS4.

The XB1 doesn't have a "user base" any more. Exclusives, multiplatform. They sell to nobody.

And that's kind of sad.

The moment activation announced that Sony would get the CoD exclusive DLC last year, coupled with Battlefront's exclusive DLC I knew the Xbox brand was in serious jeopardy.

DayEnder

lmao...

transparent as all hell

A) It's an already established franchise that sold 4.5 million units.
B) Horror games are in right now, much more so than they ever were when Alan Wake was released.
C) God is good.

Alan Wake was considered a horror game? It definitely wasn't scary.

Maybe I'm just tough as nails?
*looks at self in mirror*
Nope that isn't it.

It was action heavy and that created some tension, but horror would be a stretch. Amnesia on the other hand, that's some serious horror.

Edit: Wiki page has horror mentioned too...I just don't see it.

Welfare

That's not true either, since all of those games perform better on PS4.

The XB1 doesn't have a "user base" any more. Exclusives, multiplatform. They sell to nobody.

And that's kind of sad.

Not selling best /= selling to nobody.

That might be the most hyperbolic post in this thread.

Guys, sorry, but i don't understand a think.

How much the total hardware sales is declined YOY?

I mean hardware sales, not hardware revenues.

I don't understand this. Are you asking for YTD sales, and for what exactly?

If you take that 70% number of 504k together with the SteamSpy estimates for DS3 for April (and the estimates for the US share of that) then the total split in the US for DS3 in April would be ~20% XB1, ~35% PC and ~45% PS4.

Wow. Bloodbourne really pulled a lot of Souls fans to Playstation.

What is the split in DS2?

DS2 on PS3/360 was 51%/49%

DS2: Scholar of the First Sin on PS4/One was 51%/42% (360+PS3 were the other 7%, with 360 leading.)

That split. I think I read somewhere in the thread that the split for DS3 is 70%/30% on PS4/XB1. That's huge for Sony before and after BB. I wouldn't be surprised of if they already approached From to develop a sequel to BB.

How about sales of DS2 on PC vs consoles?

Top Bottom