• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

Striek

The Evil Within is possibly another 3M+ seller. It'll be close either way.

I'm not concerned with the future of single player, transaction-less games. I think we're past peak oil here with the MMO-lites, the consumables craze and the future will be a return to the past, with retail being left behind.

Perspective, most of the games, studios and ideas filtering to retail that have fallen out the bottom of the industry were garbage making up the numbers and embittering careless consumers who chanced upon them. The golden age of gaming is an empty husk of jank, poor ideas and worse execution.

Upside, digital development and the internet era. Indie games of today are bigger, bolder, better and more numerous than the retail trash of yesteryears. Every genre is flooded with singleplayer hits, with production values and gameplay polish that retail games of 10-15 years ago could only dream of. More importantly, its easier to reward quality and avoid crap today.

"What about the AAA singleplayer productions", you might ask. Well first of all, the bar between indie and AAA is rapidly blurring because the success stories of the indie scene are carving out new territory on the corpses of the former mid-tier publishers. They're doing it leaner, with more information, better tech, reasonable expectations, and no nasty "HD-era" jumps coming their way to put their margins into a death spiral. Secondly, the quality retail titles are still being handsomely rewarded. Its hard to think of a single example, outside the Wii U (a dead system), of an unambiguously good single player title not finding success. We're not going to take Quantum Break, a divisive title with mediocre reception, as some sort of litmus test, are we?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I don't understand this. Are you asking for YTD sales, and for what exactly?

Total hardware sales (PS4 / XBO / Wii U / 3DS ecc) in April 2016 VS total hardware sales in April 2015 (PS4 / XBO / Wii U / 3DS ecc) , cause i saw 23%, 21%, 19% ecc and i still don't get it.

QaaQer

The Evil Within is possibly another 3M+ seller. It'll be close either way.

I'm not concerned with the future of single player, transaction-less games. I think we're past peak oil here with the MMO-lites, the consumables craze and the future will be a return to the past, with retail being left behind.

Perspective, most of the games, studios and ideas filtering to retail that have fallen out the bottom of the industry were garbage making up the numbers and embittering careless consumers who chanced upon them. The golden age of gaming is an empty husk of jank, poor ideas and worse execution.

Upside, digital development and the internet era. Indie games of today are bigger, bolder, better and more numerous than the retail trash of yesteryears. Every genre is flooded with singleplayer hits, with production values and gameplay polish that retail games of 10-15 years ago could only dream of. More importantly, its easier to reward quality and avoid crap today.

"What about the AAA singleplayer productions", you might ask. Well first of all, the bar between indie and AAA is rapidly blurring because the success stories of the indie scene are carving out new territory on the corpses of the former mid-tier publishers. They're doing it leaner, with more information, better tech, reasonable expectations, and no nasty "HD-era" jumps coming their way to put their margins into a death spiral. Secondly, the quality retail titles are still being handsomely rewarded. Its hard to think of a single example, outside the Wii U (a dead system), of an unambiguously good single player title not finding success. We're not going to take Quantum Break, a divisive title with mediocre reception, as some sort of litmus test, are we?

You are a great wordsmith, bravo. <--Not sarcasm

I don't agree with all of it, but it was a pleasure to read.

Scalebound won't bomb if it gets great reviews. I think it will be the first new Microsoft IP that actually hits home this generation.

Hah. Platinum games usually get great review but bomb. The only successful game in term of sales is MGR which relies on MG name. If QB bombs then I don't think Scalebound has any chance at all

Quantum Break didn't receive critical acclaim. That being said, I don't think great reviews will be enough for Scalebound to be a hit.

I'm buying the hell out of it on release day though.

It's just the standard cycle at this point. When Scalebound likely sells about as well as a Platinum game usually sells, it will be "New Microsoft Game X won't bomb as long as it reviews well." How the games actually end up reviewing seems irrelevant at this point.

This is all subject to change if MS announces anything else that actually seems like it will be memorable to the market, but even then I'm not so sure.

I actually think we're getting several single player sequels with non-open world/big online component that sell between 1 to 3 million. XCOM 2 was very well received, and sold 800k...I think you gotta put that in the success column for a PC-only challenging turn based tactics game. HITMAN is good, even though its not really "out" until 2017...hope that shit works out for them. Usually that series sells like 1, 2 million tops. Dishonored 2/Deus Ex Mankind Divided are both from that Harvey Smith school of open ended emergent game systems/interactive narrative/awesome art direction, coming off two successful 2.5m selling versions from a few years ago. Gotta think they can hit 2m this year as a reasonable expectation.

DOOM has a traaaaaaaash multiplayer component that tried to sell, but the single player is actually quite good with obviously a lot of attention paid to make that a fulfilling experience. Its on a level a shooter hasn't been since the last Bethsada published FPS, Wolfenstein: The New Order. It deserves a much better fate than its terrible marketing has granted it.

I suppose the $40 price tag has worked out well for Ratchet & Clank. This is a franchise where Tools of Destruction opened up on NPD to 74K, which is 19k more than the last entry on PS2, Deadlocked. Outside the first game's 3 million, most of them sell about a million copies at the most. So, if they take a hit on the selling price and get this franchise to a million again(a franchise that has weathered half a decade of mediocre spin-offs), then that's gotta be considered a viable single player AAA franchise they can continue into the future. It hasnt lost that much viability from its heyday as one of Sony's premiere PS2/3 franchises, if we look at the history of the series.

Im probably forgetting a couple things like 2014's Wolfenstein the New Order and Evil Within which sold over a million and we're considered successful, but the point is I dont think its THAT bleak for people looking for meaty single player retail games that arent open world RPG always online vending machines. If they budget accordingly, if they have realistic 1-3 million expectations, if they get a good buzz, you can still do them in today's market. I dont think Quantum Break should wipe away all the successes the above franchises have had.

It was always gonna be hard for a new IP like that on Xbone, tho. I dont think a tacked-on multiplayer or season passes was gonna help Quantum Break. Frankly, it just never looked very interesting to me at any point, and it seemed the core audience felt the same way.

edit: and hey, Dark Souls 3 and Uncharted 4 are very good, polished, 15 hour AAA single player games that arent UbiSoft Open World RPG Thing #37. I mean yea they got multiplayer, but I dont think they or the Last of Us sold all those millions cuz of the MP component, ya know? And even then, that doest invalidate the quality single player experiences they provided. Two of the best of the year, IMO.

I suppose the $40 price tag has worked out well for Ratchet & Clank. This is a franchise where Tools of Destruction opened up on NPD to 74K, which is 19k more than the last entry on PS2, Deadlocked. Outside the first game's 3 million, most of them sell about a million copies at the most. So, if they take a hit on the selling price and get this franchise to a million again(a franchise that has weathered half a decade of mediocre spin-offs), then that's gotta be considered a viable single player AAA franchise they can continue into the future. It hasnt lost that much viability from its heyday as one of Sony's premiere PS2/3 franchises, if we look at the history of the series.

Yes. Price is the one important here. I really wish Sony and MS reduced license fee for $40 games since 3rd party games won't receive much from that price if they keep license fee the same as $60 games.

Square2015

7G3XGHm.png

MS made a rod for their own back with that 2014 Christmas price drop. They probably had to do it, but they picked up a lot of casual gamers that Christmas who aren't going to buy games like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break or that crazy-looking headphone guy with dragon game.

freefornow

Has there been any sales PR re: Uncharted 4 since launch? Eg: Fastest selling UC or largest day one sales etc? I realise it wasn't part of April NPD, but didn't know where else to ask (and there are too many UC threads to read through).
Thought we heard something about R&C within a day or two of release.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hey will Uncharted 4 show up in NPD under video games or DVD? Seems to be more movie than game.

Don't hurt me.

Well, if The Order 1886 was considered a game, why shouldn't Uncharted 4? *trolling intensifies*

jelly

I don't think single player games mean a failure, QB just didn't excite people. It would be sad if they took the wrong view on it's failure only being lack of multiplayer.

madmackem

As much as I love my PS4 and Xbox One, I would hate to be in charge of Sony and MS.
I have no,idea how they will manage to take these divisions forward. Console gaming does not have a great future.
Yeah how can Sony sleep when there console is only the fastest selling console to date.

It would be a lie if I said I paid 60 bucks just for U4 singleplayer. While I enjoyed U4 SP, MP is where I will spent most of the time and I see no reason to sell or trade it in near future. It's really hard to sell only SP games these days if they don't offer some kind of MP, replayable modes like Mercenary, Raid mode in Resident Evil or they're just short on content.

It would be a lie if I said I paid 60 bucks just for U4 singleplayer. While I enjoyed U4 SP, MP is where I will spent most of the time and I see no reason to sell or trade it in near future. It's really hard to sell only SP games these days if they don't offer some kind of MP, replayable modes like Mercenary, Raid mode in Resident Evil or they're just short on content.

And then there's people like me who say these games are only SP. The (typically poor) MP element is just a way to sell these great SP games to the MP audience.

Has there been any sales PR re: Uncharted 4 since launch? Eg: Fastest selling UC or largest day one sales etc? I realise it wasn't part of April NPD, but didn't know where else to ask (and there are too many UC threads to read through).
Thought we heard something about R&C within a day or two of release.

Not that I'm aware of. Though we may here something tomorrow. Certainly from the UK.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I think the real number is 23%. 21% was an error.

PS4 (174,600) + XBO (186,800) + Wii U (43,000) + 360 (25,300) + PS3 (28,000) + 3DS (116,000) + PSVTV (2,500) = 576,200

Adding Wii and PSVita (no TV), maybe >580K ?

>580K / 100 * 77 = >446,600 ?

446,600 - PS4 (174,800) = 271,800
271,800 - XBO (167,600) = 104,200
104,200 - Wii U (32,300) = 71,900
71,900 - PS3/360 (16,200) = 55,700
55,700 - PSVTV (>5,000) < 50,700

This should leave something like... 50k or so for PSVita and 3DS COMBINED?

I mean, this can't be right... let's say PSV is 5k or so, this is something like 45k for 3DS, when last month was 170k? that's a freaking -74% MOM drop.

Unless i miss something, but i hard believe it honestly...

lmao...

transparent as all hell

A) It's an already established franchise that sold 4.5 million units.
B) Horror games are in right now, much more so than they ever were when Alan Wake was released.
C) God is good.

What are you talking about?
Harson you seem to be the kind of guy that puts more stock in hopes and dreams than reality. I agree its more fun but it doesn't always pan out.

It's selling about the same as The Order correct? Just look how that turned out. It would be shocking to me if they contracted another game with Remedy.

So about that retail shelf space...
Word on the street is that the announcement came as a surprise to retail and even the products' own salespeople. Generally big retail doesn't like these kinds of surprises, so it's difficult to figure out what's going on right now. That store pic, could be a lot of things. Could be sell outs, could be a corp directive to pull, could just be an overzealous department manager. Interesting times.

I thought my joke was funny. :(

That one went flying about 30,000 feet over my head lol. I figured it was probably funny. But I didn't understand it. I suck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Word on the street is that the announcement came as a surprise to retail and even the products' own salespeople. Generally big retail doesn't like these kinds of surprises, so it's difficult to figure out what's going on right now. That store pic, could be a lot of things. Could be sell outs, could be a corp directive to pull, could just be an overzealous department manager. Interesting times.

That one went flying about 30,000 feet over my head lol. I figured it was probably funny. But I didn't understand it. I suck.

I was implying this is your computer

TI_SpeakSpell_no_shadow.jpg

DAMNIT ITS RUINED

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I botched it anyway. I said Quiz Whiz and I should have said speak and spell. F YOU ALL

ALAN WAKE IS BAD

Purest 78

Most reviews for the game were good though. If I remember correctly, Giant Bomb's ""4 out of 10"" really brought things down from a score in the 80s.

QB had the same review process as any other game. It's a 77 metacritic That's definitely not critical acclaim.

Any idea how UC4 MP player count is going?

Given just how linear the SP campaign is, and knowing that month 1 sales are going to be very strong, wondering if June will bring a 90%+ sales decay rate for it?

Kev.... I'm so lost lol. Is that some kind of ET reference?

heidern

I mean, this can't be right... let's say PSV is 5k or so, this is something like 45k for 3DS, when last month was 170k? that's a freaking -74% MOM drop.

“Hardware sales declined 23 percent compared to April 2015, with the majority of the decline due to a 19 percent or $30.4 million decline in console hardware sales,” said Callahan. “Compared to last year, dollar spending for [current-generation] consoles decreased by 15 percent with an over 70 percent decline in [last-generation] consoles. Portables also dropped by $11.3 million in sales over last April.”

Any idea how UC4 MP player count is going?

Given just how linear the SP campaign is, and knowing that month 1 sales are going to be very strong, wondering if June will bring a 90%+ sales decay rate for it?

Kev.... I'm so lost lol. Is that some kind of ET reference?

Phone home bro

zeromcd73

PS4 (174,600) + XBO (186,800) + Wii U (43,000) + 360 (25,300) + PS3 (28,000) + 3DS (116,000) + PSVTV (2,500) = 576,200

Adding Wii and PSVita (no TV), maybe >580K ?

>580K / 100 * 77 = >446,600 ?

446,600 - PS4 (174,800) = 271,800
271,800 - XBO (167,600) = 104,200
104,200 - Wii U (32,300) = 71,900
71,900 - PS3/360 (16,200) = 55,700
55,700 - PSVTV (>5,000) < 50,700

This should leave something like... 50k or so for PSVita and 3DS COMBINED?

There wasn''t really anything in April but Bravely Second (whose audience would already own a 3DS), and no limited edition console releases like FE in Feb and Zelda in March for fans to buy again. It's also tax season so parents could possibly be holding off buying their kids the device.

I can believe it.

Top Bottom