• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Tzeentch said:
The current PS3 marketing direction boggles my mind - these exclusives are GREAT EXCLUSIVES and yet they don't push them into people's minds. A trifecta of MGS (action), FF (RPG), and GT (sports/driving) would be good.

That are all coming out Fall of next year, 2008. That's part of the problem with PS3 you are buying it largely for the games that aren't out yet and what is out for PS3 is kind of lackluster

traveler said:
I didn't say it was Nintendo's fault, but since when does lack of quality validate or invalidate a sales argument? Me not being able to name a third party Wii game I want has nothing to do with whether the games should sell or not. Shit sells; quality fails. If quality determined the numbers, why didn't Okami and Viva Pinata rule the charts last year and Wii Play bomb horribly earlier this year?
It's a question of the quantity of quality. Viva pinata and okami failed but they were exceptions.

Eteric Rice

duketogo88 said:
Oh, which reaction should I give this month? Zomg at low ps3 sales? Zomg wii? Whats in style this month?

Apparently the PS3 is still going to beat the Wii somehow.

Or something, I dunno. This thread is a mess.

P90

Loudninja said:
Can we try not to post dumb shit?

Mr. Bob hit the nail on the head. Unless Sony does something really drastic, the PS3 will be this gen's GCN... or worse: a Dreamcast with no good games.

Though Sony has a history of redesigning their consoles to be cheaper to make and releasing a new version, I'm not sure how they can do make the PS3 much more economical to produce with CELL and BR. Unless Sony can get a larger share of the console pie, third parties are going to reconsider their platform plans. Simple business. MGS4 and FF XIII might end up being this gen's "Capcom Five".

Tzeentch

BenjaminBirdie said:
You can't expect the same excitement for games that are out and available for ones that are not. How is that hard to grasp when the market hammers this truth home month after month after month after month?
?? I'm not a systems war fighter.

I'm not at all arguing against what you say (it's common sense). I'm just agreeing with J-Rzez that they need to be putting a lot more effort into getting the word out about their exclusives now to at least stem their losses this holiday, or its going to get massacred.

EktorPR

traveler said:
I didn't say it was Nintendo's fault, but since when does lack of quality validate or invalidate a sales argument? Me not being able to name a third party Wii game I want has nothing to do with whether the games should sell or not. Shit sells; quality fails. If quality determined the numbers, why didn't Okami and Viva Pinata rule the charts last year and Wii Play bomb horribly earlier this year?

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

C'mon, traveler...you know you want it. :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's really amazing how much GAF has changes in a few short months. The Wii just sold another 400K in the summer and it barely registers a yawn.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
godhandiscen said:
I agree with this post. The 360 looks like a spiritual sucessor to the PS2 (more like a mix of some of the PS2 and the best of the Xbox), and Sony made a huge mistake by losing the monopoly of huge japanese exclusives.

And like I said, the big difference it makes is HERE (even tho some don't seem to understand the importance of the Japanese titles outside of Japan). In Japan those games will still sell on THEIR console, even if some are PS3/360, but they are definitly losing a good chunk of what made the PS2 attractive outside Japan after its price. The big Japanese games will still sell a lot in Japan, and not on 360. That market has not vanished, and since the 360 is doing well outside Japan those games will continue to be produced (but probably almost all multi-platform). Outside Japan Sony has no lead, but with the above taken in consideration they aren't dead.

Basically, the PS2's former EXTREME market share has now been split in more balanced levels. Sony is not going to be profiting as much, but they'll make it through on the home console front. Don't expect a 10 year lifespan tho. PS2 managed to do around 8 years, PS3 can't do as much.

eclipze

Surprised at the fall that the PS3 had. I had really thought the price drop would have more legs than it did. I guess this is an indication of how a price war between the 360 and the PS3 could unfold if the PS3 is the initiator.

_Angelus_

Banned
Odysseus said:
no, it's certainly not the first month. in fact, i don't think psp has ever not sold more.

So its been just that bad then?
Godamn.
I'm seriously worried about my PS3 purchase.
I mean its got games I want ofcourse but their sales need to pick up or its gonna get nasty the longer this goes on. I just hope it doesn't cut the lifespan of the console shorter than expected. I suppose BluRay will help in it over the long run,but still this is looking a little scary right now.

traveler

Not Wario
titiklabingapat said:
It's a question of the quantity of quality. Viva pinata and okami failed but they were exceptions.

Exceptions? Are you guys seriously arguing this? Quality and sales have never been in direct correlation EVER. Quality may have some influence every now and then, but, by and large, it is not the main determining factor. Why the hell are movie ports so popular? What about the tons of quality titles that become niche every year?

Edit: Ektor, I was talking about out now. Yes, I do want Zack and Wiki and I said as much earlier this evening in the new thread on it. (Whether I will be able to get it or not is, unfortunately, a different matter.) I'm also highly interested in the new Vanillaware game and King's Story as well. (Though I don't think ANY of those three will sell, regardless of how quality they turn out- hence my argument)

P90 said:
Mr. Bob hit the nail on the head. Unless Sony does something really drastic, the PS3 will be this gen's GCN... or worse.

Though Sony has a history of redesigning their consoles to be cheaper to make and releasing a new version, I'm not sure how they can do make the PS3 much more economical to produce with CELL and BR. Unless Sony can get a larger share of the console pie, third parties are going to reconsider their platform plans. Simple business. MGS4 and FF XIII might end up being this gen's "Capcom Five".

It may not even matter if they can get it cheaper. MS will have had two plus years of domination in the HD gaming space. So lets say they give Mephisto a call and end up cheaper than the 360 in late 2008. You still have to deal with the people who have already Jumped In. Are there enough who haven't to get past a multi million unit gap?

Tzeentch said:
?? I'm not a systems war fighter.

I'm not at all arguing against what you say (it's common sense). I'm just agreeing with J-Rzez that they need to be putting a lot more effort into getting the word out about their exclusives now to at least stem their losses this holiday, or its going to get massacred.

I didn't necessarily mean it was hard for you to grasp. Sorry about that. But it's a pretty popular idea which has little relevance when you consider that the promise of those games has existed for months now and has not helped the PS3 very much so far.

P90

BenjaminBirdie said:
It may not even matter if they can get it cheaper. MS will have had two plus years of domination in the HD gaming space. So lets say they give Mephisto a call and end up cheaper than the 360 in late 2008. You still have to deal with the people who have already Jumped In. Are there enough who haven't to get past a multi million unit gap?

Maybe it is to that point, but Sony has shown they can be smart in the past. But of late, not so much.

Evlar

Banned
traveler said:
When I hear the "Third party games don't sell on Wii" talking point it's usually closely coupled with assumptions about Wii's audience. Usually they say either third parties don't sell because Wii is dominated by Nintendo fanboys or by casuals that only want to play Wii Sports. Right? Meanwhile all the REAL gamers are off playing on their 360 so OF COURSE they wouldn't buy Wii software. And then the lack of third party sales is used to support this.

But if the games are actually shit, and the reason REAL gamers aren't buying them is because they are shit, then what does that tell us about how REAL gamers would react to good third party games on the Wii? Nothing at all. It's a vacuous argument.

Most third party games on the Wii- like Boogie, or Madden Wii 08, or Carnival Games, or that whole pile of post-launch Ubisoft tripe- don't sell because they aren't worth buying. Attributing their bad sales to the console audience rather than their lack of quality is misleading.

BobLoblaw

Banned
_mo said:
/spin

augustnpd2.jpg

I'm curious as to why there's no "Nintendo Family." :lol

P90 said:
Maybe it is to that point, but Sony has shown they can be smart in the past. But of late, not so much.

It's not a question of "making smart moves". All things considered, the PS3 could be doing even worse. It's the one really terrible decision they made a while ago that has cemented their position.

traveler

Not Wario
The Sphinx said:
When I hear the "Third party games don't sell on Wii" it's usually closely coupled with assumptions about Wii's audience. Usually they say either third parties don't sell because Wii is dominated by Nintendo fanboys or by casuals that only want to play Wii Sports. Right? Meanwhile all the REAL gamers are off playing on their 360 so OF COURSE they wouldn't buy Wii software. And then the lack of third party sales is used to support this.

But if the games are actually shit, and the reason REAL gamers aren't buying them is because they are shit, then what does that tell us about how REAL gamers would react to good third party games on the Wii? Nothing at all. It's a vacuous argument.

Most third party games on the Wii- like Boogie, or Madden Wii 08, or Carnival Games, or that whole pile of post-launch Ubisoft tripe- don't sell because they aren't worth buying. Attributing their bad sales to the console audience rather than their lack of quality is misleading.

Except I'm not using those arguments. I honestly have no idea why they aren't selling, but I do know that thinking quality is the determining factor is foolish.

Eteric Rice

The Sphinx said:
When I hear the "Third party games don't sell on Wii" talking point it's usually closely coupled with assumptions about Wii's audience. Usually they say either third parties don't sell because Wii is dominated by Nintendo fanboys or by casuals that only want to play Wii Sports. Right? Meanwhile all the REAL gamers are off playing on their 360 so OF COURSE they wouldn't buy Wii software. And then the lack of third party sales is used to support this.

Bravo!

*claps*

traveler said:
Exceptions? Are you guys seriously arguing this? Quality and sales have never been in direct correlation EVER. Quality may have some influence every now and then, but, by and large, it is not the main determining factor. Why the hell are movie ports so popular? What about the tons of quality titles that become niche every year?
Ah, but they just released a pseudo study that M rated gamed tend to be of the higher quality and sell alot more than usual.

Besides, the meaning of "quality" that i used meant actual scores and the amount of developer/publusher support. Quality can mean a goty, Madden 360(decent scores, huge marketing push, lead platform), Lair(production value, time and effort) or any combo of the examples. basically, quality support and/or actual quality games.us

P90

The Sphinx said:

Good points. It is like judging the PS2 on games like this: http://www.gameratio.com/ps2/worstgames.php

vilmer_ said:
Some of you guys sound like you are happy that the PS3 is selling poorly... Maybe I'm just drunk

I'm happy that a console that is priced as such sells poorly. That means it will hopefully not happen again.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
traveler said:
Except I'm not using those arguments. I honestly have no idea why they aren't selling, but I do know that thinking quality is the determining factor is foolish.

Quality doesn't always decide what sells, but it's more influential than people think. Notice how the top 10 best selling games for virtually all platforms (and this is for their Ltds, not month to month top 10) are also among the most well made.

If poor quality is the reason that 3rd party Wii games aren't selling, then why are Wii Play and Wii Sports so popular?

Zzoram

BenjaminBirdie said:
I didn't necessarily mean it was hard for you to grasp. Sorry about that. But it's a pretty popular idea which has little relevance when you consider that the promise of those games has existed for months now and has not helped the PS3 very much so far.

Part of the problem with PS3 exclusives saving the system this year is that there are no AAA titles among them, DMC4 went cross platoform, and Lair tanked. Heavenly Sword was also a let down, mostly due to the length of the game. I can't see Warhawk, Ratchet or Uncharted becoming such huge successes that they turn the PS3 around.

P90

vilmer_ said:
Some of you guys sound like you are happy that the PS3 is selling poorly... Maybe I'm just drunk

As long as Sony stock stays high, I'll be happy. (I own stock in all three console companies).

Zzoram

Oblivion said:
Quality doesn't always decide what sells, but it's more influential than people think. Notice how the top 10 best selling games for virtually all platforms (and this is for their Ltds, not month to month top 10) are also among the most well made.

It can also be said that the best made games have the best marketing budgets. Spider-man 3 was a bad game but sold great, riding on the movie's success (even though it was also bad).

Evlar

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
If poor quality is the reason that 3rd party Wii games aren't selling, then why are Wii Play and Wii Sports so popular?
If bagels are breakfast food then why can't pigs fly?

traveler

Not Wario
bigmakstudios said:

Or Mario Party 8 or Pokemon Battle Revolution or etc...

Yes, quality has some bearing on sales, but to think that is the primary reason for them is ridiculous.

beef3483

traveler said:

People are using the sales argument to suggest that third party games won't sell on Wii and that third parties should steer clear from it. The more obvious solution would be for third parties to steer clear from creating shitty software for the Wii.

Okami was too artistic for it's own good and Viva Pinata did not have an audience to cater to and I honestly think that both titles would have sold better on Nintendo platforms. Okami would because of it's resemblance (in game design) to Zelda, and Viva Pinata because of it's Nintendo-like charm. I have always felt that "Ntards" (as many people put them) are the most open-minded gamers (in regards to quality games).

HylianTom

Banned
Oblivion said:

They're also often very well-advertised, which I think people frequently forget.
(I remember getting sick of those Red Steel commercials very quickly, but I also remember how well Red Steel sold..)

stewacide

traveler said:

There are only two logical possibilities in light or steller 1st party sales: either Wii buyers are drawn to the Nintendo name (possible, although I wonder how many know a Nintendo developed/published game from any other), or (2) the specific 3rd party games released simply don't appeal to Wii buyers. I suspect the latter.

P90

bigmakstudios said:

I got my first opportunity to play Wii Sports today. I was impressed. Pure fun. Low, very low production values, but pure fun.

I think Madden Wii sales are something that people should be watching out for. It really shouldn't be that low, with Wii's userbase. It's not like Madden is some hardcore game that really clicks with WHOAMG NEXTGEN.

One would think/hope that Wii was attracting more former PS2 owners than that.

BobLoblaw

Banned
vilmer_ said:

Either they're A) fanboys or B) logical thinkers who believe (like I do) that over pricing a machine with very little good software should lead to failure. Sony's made a ton of mistakes from pricing, to content, to exclusives, to arrogance, etc. infinity. Seeing them end up last shouldn't make people happy, but it shouldn't be unexpected either.

Zzoram said:
Part of the problem with PS3 exclusives saving the system this year is that there are no AAA titles among them, DMC4 went cross platoform, and Lair tanked. Heavenly Sword was also a let down, mostly due to the length of the game. I can't see Warhawk, Ratchet or Uncharted becoming such huge successes that they turn the PS3 around.

Even if they are "huge" successes (Uncharted having the best shot) they'll dropping in months that have room cleaning, floor shattering games like Halo, GHIII, Rock Band, and Mass Effect. They need room to breathe that they just won't get. The multiplatform hits this fall, as Madden has shown, will not be moving PS3s to any significant degree and the fact that there are SO MANY of them this fall (Assassins, COD4, Rock Band, GHIII) is going to make it so hard for those PS3 games to stand out. GT5P will probably have the best shot because regardless of content, it's going to look to your average consumer like a really awesome budget priced game. But will that move consoles? Probably not enough.

Top Bottom