• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Didn't someone say that xbox360 was gonna sell over 500k this month or something.

That price drop sure helped! It's back up to its pre-summer numbers!

Sharp

sp0rsk said:
Didn't someone say that xbox360 was gonna sell over 500k this month or something.

Better than Xbox in the same time period though.

AniHawk

AltogetherAndrews said:
Foster's, that's by the guy who created the Powerpuff Girls right?

Yes. There are several references to it in the first season. Craig McCracken worked on 2 Stupid Dogs and Dexter's Laboratory before that. He's also friends with Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone Wars).

sp0rsk said:

And someone said the PSP would sell 100000000000 the world is full of nutters

ksamedi

unomas said:
The top selling 360 game (Madden) outsold all Wii top 20 software combined. This is a pretty interesting console race. You've got the graphical limitations of the Wii and a lack of decent 3rd party software sales (Madden/Tiger Woods 08) yet it continues to plow through the hardware sales month after month. I guess people are just buying for Wii sports or the traditional Nintendo titles because that is all that's selling on the console. I'll stick by the point I made months ago, it's just selling to Nintendo fans and casuals the proof is in the software sales. The same types of games that sold well on Gamecube are selling on the Wii.

Madden sales on PS3 were 3x that of Wii with a much smaller userbase. So how long will Wii sales continue to flourish? What about all the userbase=software sales arguments? Where are those people now?

You say Wiisports, if you count that in, the top 5 Wii does exceed Madden.

I think we need to redefine 'casuals' for the case of the Wii

Casuals used to mean the crowd that bought GTA, HALO, Madden etc

In my experience the people buying the Wii aren't these sorts of casuals, in fact they are hardly gamers at all, they are treating the Wii more like a board game which they get out when they have friends round.

I think we should call them Wiisuals or Wagglers any other suggestions???

ksamedi

mr_bishiuk said:
I think we need to redefine 'casuals' for the case of the Wii

Casuals used to mean the crowd that bought GTA, HALO, Madden etc

In my experience the people buying the Wii aren't these sorts of casuals, in fact they are hardly gamers at all, they are treating the Wii more like a board game which they get out when they have friends round.

I think we should call them Wiisuals or Wagglers any other suggestions???

Nintendo calls them non-gamers.

C4Lukins said:
I will have to give it a shot. I am one of those who hates the Prime series because I loved the 2d console games, but when I get some time after the holidays I will pick it up. Actually my brother owns it, I will bum it off of him and if I like it then I will buy it.
At first, it will actually feel very jittery(on advanced), that's how sensitive the wiimote pointer is. I say, contrary to GAF concensus, start with normal and move up to advanced once you're comfortable.

Rolf NB

ksamedi said:
You say Wiisports, if you count that in, the top 5 Wii does exceed Madden.
No.
The top five Wii games in that chart amount to at most 887.7k. "At most" because I don't know the number for Madden Wii, but that is at most 127.1k, the sales figure for that Guitar Hero thing that ended up two places above it.

... and that's less than Madden 360's 896.6k.

edit: Oh what the hell, I fail at things! Teh pack-inned Sportzens!

pswii60 said:
Well, everyone counts frickin' Wii Play, why not count Wii Sports too.

Its a joke that Wii play counts as a game but what can you do? Does the Xbox live vision camara count as a game as it comes with some crappy Live title?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'll be interested to see how much hardware the AAA's move this year for all three systems. Especially on Wii, those Metroid numbers make me think that there are still a lot of gamers out there who havent picked one up yet.

J-Rzez

Luckyman said:
Holy shit..

Wii Madden not even close to PS3 sku for some reason. Outsold by Xbox sku. :lol

There's a reason for that, which many have guessed at before, it's a reflection of the userbase... A game like Madden is just one game that'd show that though... Need more experiments!!! :p

Jokeropia

MobiusPigeon said:
not as well as and not with the legs of 360 software. again wii is outselling 360 2 or 3 to 1 CONSISTANTLY. its not like those buyers dont have good choices in software. zelda, mario, trauma center, EA sports, i mean a NICE WELL ROUNDED SELECTION of titles and what sells? wii sports and wii play. everything else shows up as a blip and fades into bolivian :D 360 has consistantly sold software even tho it sells half as many systems. how can so many people ignore that?
You really have absolutely no clue. Zelda, Mario, Trauma Center AND EA Sports titles (Tiger Woods in particular) have all sold well on Wii.

Wii dominates the software charts outside of USA and that it can keep up and occasionally beat 360 even here (which it did three months in the summer) despite the significant difference in userbase is actually very impressive.

ziran

Wii sales are incredible. Consistently selling 100K per week in the slow summer months is remarkable! Going forward I expect Wii to have outsold 360's US LTD by the middle of next year, earlier if supplies allow.

Decent increase for 360. It's a system which is still being defined by relatively narrow tastes, and imo will be unable to break into the PS2 type mass market arena. Still, it will continue to be a healthy system in NA.

PS3 sales are disappointing. The system is floundering and the idea old, declining PS2 franchises are going to revive it is nonsense. As far as Japanese developers are concerned, the systems they need to concentrate on are made by Nintendo. PSP and PS3 have lost the key advantage the Playstation brand had, success for 3rd parties across the board.

I think it's going to prove misleading to tout the revenue increase as the health of this industry because of the ridiculous cost of development. I see Lair as the beginning of a line of several mega-budget mega-bombs coming for PS3 and 360. PS3 is self explanatory, but even the 360 with its high attach rates simply doesn't have the installed base to create profit for all its big budget games, especially given the focus of its audience. Putting Wii as a low priority is another factor which is going to bring trouble for 3rd parties. They don't realise the care, effort and talent that went into making Wii Sports such an amazing game and so popular. There are going to be some massive developer and publisher casualties this gen, which is going to be sad to see.

szaromir

Banned
Anyone could give me a link to NPD numbers archive? I would like to make predictions for the rest of the year, but I've got to know past trends.

waru

Excuse me all !
I lost all my favourite because my PC crash and I want to retrieve a website, with a lot of charts, I found on this forum. This is not VG chart but a website with complete and setious chart !
Can someone please help me ?
PM me if you don't want to spam this topic.
Thanks

waru said:
Excuse me all !
I lost all my favourite because my PC crash and I want to retrieve a website, with a lot of charts, I found on this forum. This is not VG chart but a website with complete and setious chart !
Can someone please help me ?
PM me if you don't want to spam this topic.
Thanks
Moor angel's site?

Hexic is the earliest selling next-gen game ever!

PS where's my damn avatar bet. By January NPD 360 Rock Band > 360 Guitar Hero counting all possible SKUs. Other console owners can't be trusted to have good judgment. I seriously doubt we won't get numbers for the greatest thing to happen to modern gaming, but if we don't then default to the ranking of bundles? Errr, NPD hasn't seperated SKUs since it changed from $$ has it?

ziran said:
Decent increase for 360. It's a system which is still being defined by relatively narrow tastes, and imo will be unable to break into the PS2 type mass market arena. Still, it will continue to be a healthy system in NA.

I think it will be possible for the 360 to break into the mass market area but the premium model needs to get to $299 or less and PS2 support would need to start drying up.

Sony need to keep the PS2 well supported until the PS3 gets to $299 or the mass market could very well move to the Xbox if it isn't starting too already.

The 360 sold 270k units last month and i'm willing to bet that the vast majority of those buyers were not Xbox 1 owners and if PS3 third party support starts drying up because of poor sales then the likleyhood of people migrating to the 360 further increase.

Raist

Banned
Hmmm 58k for Warhawk...

When was it released again, the 29th ?

Not bad at all. I wonder if more copies were sold on the PSN.

stuff said:
The 360 is not even dominating as much as the PS2 becausr of the Wii, and this consequently means that Nintendo's software takes a much larger, if not the largest, share of the pie.

Great. The two biggest 360 sellers (one that came out mid-month and the other late-month) sold almost 1.4 million units of software. I doubt EA and Take 2 are going, "WOW let's divert our resources to Wii...we have no reason to believe it will mean a heap of crap, but what the hell!" Every thread was "I bet Boogie/Madden will be HUGE, those are popular with the casuals" and then bam, brick wall. Why is it when a third party game doesn't sell, its quality is blamed? Quality sells? Mario Party and Wii Play are absolute CRAP but they dominate the sales charts.

I see a lot of butt-hurt people in here becase Wii sales are to the moon but third parties still don't care about it. And why should they?

EktorPR

Joust Williams said:
Great. The two biggest 360 sellers (one that came out mid-month and the other late-month) sold almost 1.4 million units of software. I doubt EA and Take 2 are going, "WOW let's divert our resources to Wii...we have no reason to believe it will mean a heap of crap, but what the hell!" Every thread was "I bet Boogie/Madden will be HUGE, those are popular with the casuals" and then bam, brick wall. Why is it when a third party game doesn't sell, its quality is blamed? Quality sells? Mario Party and Wii Play are absolute CRAP but they dominate the sales charts.

Tsk tsk. Don't know if he got the memo...

ksamedi

Joust Williams said:

Wiiplay is a remote with a 10 dollar game, its not crap by any means. Mario Party is a long time Nintendo franchise wich always sold well because of the party aspect. MP8 still succeeds in that and is called crap because the series has grown old for the gaming media. You cant really call a Nintendo system thats selling faster than the PS2 a Nintendo fanboy exclusive console. There aren't that many Nintendo fans you know.

AniHawk

Joust Williams said:
I see a lot of butt-hurt people in here becase Wii sales are to the moon but third parties still don't care about it. And why should they?

Well they haven't really made anything interesting for it yet. Sega and EA have given a decent effort, and a well-done port/update from Capcom has done well, but there really haven't been any games that are worth buying from third-parties post launch.

Joust Williams said:

Wii Play isn't even a full game really... it's more like a pack of demos that come with a remote, marketed as a game. That's why it sells, because this thing is a multiplayer machine and people want more remotes.

I'm sick and tired of Mario Party, but apparently some people love it.

Boogie, although potentially a great idea, turned out to be bona fide shit though... and Madden is the worst version. I don't know how you could argue otherwise. Go read some reviews. People aren't stupid. Everything on that Top 20 actually deserves to be there.

I do think EA Sports titles are going to sell less on the Wii though. All generation. As long as Wii Sports is packed in, that game is draining the incentive to buy other sports games. Unless they really put some differentiating features in -- Wii owners are going to see that they're getting versions of games with worse graphics and worse online features. It's Gamecube syndrome really. Even if it's the only system they own, some people simply aren't going to buy the worst / least featured versions of multiplatform games.

Aquanox

chris0701 said:
http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/

Playstation Brand Dominates August U.S. NPD Charts

augustnpd2.jpg

wow at SDF, I even assume it was set to spread negative reputation about Sony gamers.

lol

I bet Sony themselves hate SDF for being a PR Nightmare. :lol

Farmboy

AniHawk said:
Well they haven't really made anything interesting for it yet. Sega and EA have given a decent effort, and a well-done port/update from Capcom has done well, but there really haven't been any games that are worth buying from third-parties post launch.

At this point the poor quality > poor sales > poor quality cycle is something of a chicken-or-egg thing. Sales are poor, so publishers lower their Wii budgets or put their 'B-teams' on Wii development, which results in poor sales, which hardly motivates publishers to do their best.

Resident Evil 4 did reasonably well, but until there's a breakout third party title that shows quality can sell on Wii even without a Nintendo logo on the box, I'm afraid all we'll see are B-quality titles from these publishers -- which, in turn, means that the cycle won't be broken and that breakout title will never appear.

The precedent set by the DS isn't particularly encouraging either: great third party games exist, but they're the exception rather than the rule -- and more often than not, their sales are nothing to write home about.

rs7k

Odysseus said:
my pc had a ati radeon 9800 pro until folding@home destroyed it. now it has something of a lesser variety from nvidia. it might be within 5 years, though.

i use my pc to play geometry wars. with a 360 controller.

i don't think geometry wars counted on npd, though.

Speaking of F@H, I'm suspecting it killed my previous PC. It would always sound different (fans, etc) after I would quit the program.

.dmc

Banned
Farmboy said:
Resident Evil 4 did reasonably well, but until there's a breakout third party title that shows quality can sell on Wii even without a Nintendo logo on the box, I'm afraid all we'll see are B-quality titles from these publishers -- which, in turn, means that the cycle won't be broken and that breakout title will never appear.

Like Red Steel/Rayman? Or Dragon Quest: Swords?

The precedent set by the DS isn't particularly encouraging either: great third party games exist, but they're the exception rather than the rule -- and more often than not, they're sales are nothing to write home about.

How'd you get here from the year 2006?

Potentially the 360 could outsell the PS2 and the PS3 next month combined, they were only 56,000 units away from doing it this month, that would be a megaton!!!

szaromir

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm disappointed by Bioshock, because it is REALLY a great game. But maybe it will have legs (if Halo 3 will not overshadow it)
The publisher is really happy with sales, how comes you are disappointed?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm disappointed by Bioshock, because it is REALLY a great game. But maybe it will have legs (if Halo 3 will not overshadow it)

A brand new IP that sold 500k units in 10 days in the US alone???

I think it will prove to be a slow burner, as it was not on many people's radar, plus everyone I have showed it to went out and bought the game straight away so I think that it will burn for a while if, as I suspect that, reaction is replicated elsewhere.

Top Bottom