• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

Dr. Light

farnham said:
Well its a old Nintendo strategy that they used to pull back in the gamecube days. The problem is that its hard to get back on track once you are in a sales slump.

Look at the years on your post.

Laguna

Banned
farnham said:
Madden never sold anything on the Wii. still got released though

Wrong, the first and only normal Madden on Wii sold nearly 1million. Since then Peter Moores grand plans for the Wii (by gimping them and awesome boxarts) versions set in.

Gwanatu T

truly101 said:
Wii is getting close to 3rd place. Nintendo needs the holidays to come soon.

Its hit is saturation point though, you're going to see sales dip a bit with the exception of Nov-Dec.

What it needs are some blockbuster titles to encourage people to still buy the thing. Nintendo has been very lackluster in it's 1st party performance this gen if you ask me. Sure we're getting 4 big titles this year, but that's in an entire year, where are the rest of the games? Regardless though, the Wii is still considerably higher in actual amount of systems sold, so the others have quite a bit of catching up to do, unless you consider PS360 one giant HD monster.

Vinci

Danish
I always enjoy reading people post about the Wii's demise, or fall from grace, when it's in 1/3rd of all US households. What Nintendo really needs is to get more sold in Japan and Europe - I think the States are pretty much done with the exception of holiday purchases.

Gwanatu T said:
What it needs are some blockbuster titles to encourage people to still buy the thing. Nintendo has been very lackluster in it's 1st party performance this gen if you ask me. Sure we're getting 4 big titles this year, but that's in an entire year, where are the rest of the games? Regardless though, the Wii is still considerably higher in actual amount of systems sold, so the others have quite a bit of catching up to do, unless you consider PS360 one giant HD monster.

Short of Epic Mickey, DKCR, or Wii Party doing unexpectedly huge things for the console's sales, I don't think there's much else they can really do. They'll sputter their way through another 10 million or so, but it's not going to grow by leaps and bounds any further. The most interesting thing will be next generation. Nintendo's going to have a helluva warchest.

farnham

Banned
Laguna said:
Wrong, the first and only normal Madden on Wii sold nearly 1million. Since then Peter Moores grand plans for the Wii (by gimping them and awesome boxarts) versions set in.
i dont think he gimped it

actually last years version had pointing controls that worked quite similar to Pro Evolution Soccer which was a great move imo

2009 was the horrible one as far as i know

NewFresh

Vinci said:
I always enjoy reading people post about the Wii's demise, or fall from grace, when it's in 1/3rd of all US households. What Nintendo really needs is to get more sold in Japan and Europe - I think the States are pretty much done with the exception of holiday purchases.

Short of Epic Mickey, DKCR, or Wii Party doing unexpectedly huge things for the console's sales, I don't think there's much else they can really do. They'll sputter their way through another 10 million or so, but it's not going to grow by leaps and bounds any further. The most interesting thing will be next generation. Nintendo's going to have a helluva warchest.

By warchest do you mean a built in audience who has already purchased the Wii? or a back catolog of games?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm in the camp that doesn't believe the holidays will help the Wii that much.

FrankT

Plinko said:

In the camp that is 50/50. They did the price drop last year I just can't see them doing another one so quickly, but who knows perhaps the SW and the holidays will hold it up.

Neo C.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
By warchest do you mean a built in audience who has already purchased the Wii? or a back catolog of games?
No, warchest usually means money ready to spend for the console race.

Vinci

Danish
EmmanuelMunoz said:

I mean money. They have been ridiculously, stupidly profitable this generation. Applying that money - of course not all of it; Nintendo believes in sustainability after all - towards next generation should result in something interesting at the very least.

farnham

Banned
Jtyettis said:
In the camp that is 50/50. They did the price drop last year I just can't see them doing another one so quickly, but who knows perhaps the SW and the holidays will hold it up.
They actually had another pricedrop this year by including WSR into the 200 dollar bundle.

Cornbread78

"Sales of this year's game were about 6% higher than last year's in its debut month, but interestingly, all of the gains occurred on the PS3 platform, reflecting the impact of the hardware sales momentum on corresponding software sales."

Sounds good for the PS3. Software sales have been pretty strong this year, thus far.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Plinko said:

I think the Wii will still be tough to beat this holiday. Regardless of the Yen, I don't think Nintendo will sit ideally by without making a change in Wii hardware bundles. Either a new game included or a $50 price drop. If Nintendo drops to $150 on the Wii, that will be huge and it would make the Kinect look like a complete fucking joke.

I think people are really sleeping on Wii Party and some other upcoming games on the systems. I believe The Sims 3 will be big on the system (more so than on the other systems), Just Dance 2 will be very popular, Epic Mickey, Donkey Kong and Kirby will be high quality, easy to recommend titles as well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Plinko said:
Even if Move and Kinect crater I think their combined marketing efforts would draw enough attention away from Nintendo's offerings to put a dent in their sales.

LM4sure

Banned
Plinko said:

I'm pretty confident the Wii will have a good holiday season. Definitely not as good as the past few years, but lets face it, those numbers were ridiculous. We'll see some nice numbers for November and December though...especially if they announce a price cut

Momo

Banned
Vinci said:
The most interesting thing will be next generation. Nintendo's going to have a helluva warchest.
Nintendo lost my patronage during this generation. I'm not inclined to buy any of their (hardware)* products again in a hurry.

*would still buy their software for emulation purposes etc.

NewFresh

Vinci said:
I mean money. They have been ridiculously, stupidly profitable this generation. Applying that money - of course not all of it; Nintendo believes in sustainability after all - towards next generation should result in something interesting at the very least.

I totally agree with you there. I can not find the article a the moment, but I remember reading that the Wii, back in early 2009, was only costing Nintendo around $70 to manufacture (somewhere around $150 at launch). With that amount of profit and with Nintendo's business model the next gen will be fun to watch.

Gwanatu T

Momo said:
Nintendo lost my patronage during this generation. I'm not inclined to buy any of their (hardware)* products again in a hurry.

3DS doesn't interest you?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gwanatu T said:
3DS doesn't interest you?
I, like most people, still haven't seen one in real life. Without seeing the 3d there is zero reason to be excited about it. They will have to focus MASSIVE effort into building kiosks so people can see why it's awesome. Unlike the Wii, it has no compelling interesting feature until you see it in the flesh, so to speak.

Somnid

I don't understand why people could think Wii is done. We did this back when PS3 got its second wind from a redesign too. The funny thing is that all this extra momentum in both systems comes from a card Nintendo has yet to play.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I, like most people, still haven't seen one in real life. Without seeing the 3d there is zero reason to be excited about it. They will have to focus MASSIVE effort into building kiosks so people can see why it's awesome. Unlike the Wii, it has no compelling interesting feature until you see it in the flesh, so to speak.

To my mind, a 3D display on a handheld gaming device is just as compelling (though obviously in a different way) hook as motion control on a home console, and just as hard to sell without seeing it in person.

Bizzyb

Banned
Gwanatu T said:

Ain't gonna happen.

I seriously think Wii is on its last legs. 3rd parties have all but jumped ship asides from a few licensed games and games that have been in the works so long they have no choice but to release. But don't expect many newly announced projects,

After Epic Mickey, Goldeneye and Conduit 2 don't expect much in the line of significant third party support. The system is basically floating in the water without a paddle at this point. I almost expect SE to announce that Dragon Quest X has now been pushed to 3DS or Wii2. Does anyone here actually still expect SE to launch this game on Wii?? I'm half expecting HVS to have pushed The Grinder back as well. They would have more to gain by working on better hardware (visuals and online) and releasing at Wii 2 launch than at this point in the Wiis life cycle.

I'm telling you guys now

3DS Holiday 2010
Wii 2 Holiday 2011

Quote me on that

I seriously don't know how Nintendo is going to sludge through 2011 with only Zelda and Conduit 2 but it's going to be one of the most brutal years ever seen for a Nintendo console. Hopefully E3 will bring some positive light back into Nintendo's corner once they unveil the next Wii with improved EVERYTHING and hopefully by then developers will have faith and back them up

SapientWolf said:
Even if Move and Kinect crater I think their combined marketing efforts would draw enough attention away from Nintendo's offerings to put a dent in their sales.

I agree and I also see the Move and Kinect creating a stronger aura of "gimmick" when it comes to motion controls and public perception. Nothing makes the public more tired of something than oversaturation.

God I sound like James Cameron with that mentality.

Stinkles

Cosmonaut X said:
To my mind, a 3D display on a handheld gaming device is just as compelling (though obviously in a different way) hook as motion control on a home console, and just as hard to sell without seeing it in person.
I could see people playing wii golf and get it. Without even seeing the screen. In fact, many shots were from the TVs perspective. With 3DS I still haven't even read an adequate text description of the effect and video is meaningless. I will have to see the real thing.

Stinkles

jett said:
I think it's about time you stopped making predictions about GT5.
GT5 is going to be a sales beast. It is the only ps3 game I am planning to play this year, and it is going to sell a lot of steering wheels, but I think Che (as an independent and fair minded observer of the gran turismo franchise) simply means that the audience of GT fans who can wait five years between versions, that haven't picked up a PS3 yet, may not be all that big. Maybe in Europe. In fact I could easily see that in Europe.

If America was serious about GT, it would not have staffed US Top Gear with clown farts and pretty boys.

Gwanatu T

OuterWorldVoice said:

I disagree. With the catalog of games that not only Nintendo, but every single major 3rd party out there has announced for it, the support for this thing is beyond anything I've ever seen, and that includes the PS2. When they just kept announcing more and more and more titles for the thing at E3 I nearly died, it's like everyone got together and wanted to make a super system, and this is what came of it. Besides even if the 3D isn't something you like, you can just turn it off. The major draw here for me isn't necessarily 3D, although that's mind-blowingly amazing if it looks as good as everyone said it did at E3 (or better even), but the software catalog.

Momo said:
Not particularly no. I'll need to see it for myself, see how JRPG's fare on the system and take it from there.

Fair enough, everyone has their niches.

Bizzyb said:
Ain't gonna happen.

I seriously think Wii is on its last legs. 3rd parties have all but jumped ship asides from a few licensed games and games that have been in the works so long they have no choice but to release. But don't expect many newly announced projects,

After Epic Mickey, Goldeneye and Conduit 2 don't expect much in the line of significant third party support. The system is basically floating in the water without a paddle at this point. I almost expect SE to announce that Dragon Quest X has now been pushed to 3DS or Wii2. Does anyone here actually still expect SE to launch this game on Wii?? I'm half expecting HVS to have pushed The Grinder back as well. They would have more to gain by working on better hardware (visuals and online) and releasing at Wii 2 launch than at this point in the Wiis life cycle.

I'm telling you guys now

3DS Holiday 2010
Wii 2 Holiday 2011

Quote me on that

I seriously don't know how Nintendo is going to sludge through 2011 with only Zelda and Conduit 2 but it's going to be one of the most brutal years ever seen for a Nintendo console. Hopefully E3 will bring some positive light back into Nintendo's corner once they unveil the next Wii with improved EVERYTHING and hopefully by then developers will have faith and back them up

I don't disagree with you at all, which is why I said what I said earlier. I'll be glad to see the Wii hardware die anyway, 10 year old tech can only be so good.

LosDaddie

Banned
Xbox360 owns again! :D

Once again, the hardcore gamers on forums don't understand why Madden is so popular. There's a reason Sony (and MS in the past) are more than happy to pay to advertise the game. There's a reason why EA threw money at the NFL for exclusive rights.

Happy to see NCAA 11 chart too. IT's a great game....best in series, in fact. Same goes for MW2. Great game. I'm also happy to see the Mario platformers continue to chart.

I expect to see the X360 on top next month too. REACH is going to be amazing and it should move consoles too.

duk said:
this should be a relatively quiet NPD thread since 360 won

Yup.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
npdcomvic1.gif

Always a classic. <3 Mama's GIFs

LM4sure

Banned
Bizzyb said:
Ain't gonna happen.

I'm telling you guys now

3DS Holiday 2010
Wii 2 Holiday 2011

Quote me on that

I too think we'll see the 3DS this year and Wii 2 next year, but I'm not so sure about your prediction that there are no other heavy hitters in the pipeline for 2011 other than Zelda and Conduit 2 (lol). Nintendo tends to hold their titles close to their vest, so it might be a little early to proclaim 2011 worst Wii year ever.

I disagree. With the catalog of games that not only Nintendo, but every single major 3rd party out there has announced for it, the support for this thing is beyond anything I've ever seen, and that includes the PS2. When they just kept announcing more and more and more titles for the thing at E3 I nearly died, it's like everyone got together and wanted to make a super system, and this is what came of it. Besides even if the 3D isn't something you like, you can just turn it off. The major draw here for me isn't necessarily 3D, although that's mind-blowingly amazing if it looks as good as everyone said it did at E3 (or better even), but the software catalog.

Exactly. The amount of support for the 3ds is amazing. I haven't seen one in person so I'm extremely excited for the thing. Of course having kiosks set up will help, but I don't think it's key to getting people to buy into it. People are obviously interested in 3d, but as the recent Nielsen article reported, people aren't so thrilled about the 3d glasses they're forced to wear. If Nintendo releases the first glasses-free 3d device, that'll be HUGE. I think it's more important that Nintendo work with content providers to get a wide variety of 3d programming and movies available on the 3ds.

farnham

Banned
LM4sure said:
I too think we'll see the 3DS this year and Wii 2 next year, but I'm not so sure about your prediction that there are no other heavy hitters in the pipeline for 2011 other than Zelda and Conduit 2 (lol). Nintendo tends to hold their titles close to their vest, so it might be a little early to proclaim 2011 worst Wii year ever.
maybe he has intel that we dont have ?

Bizzyb said:
Dragon Quest ain't moving anywhere unless another system picks up, fast, and the Wii drops equally fast. The game goes to the living system with the highest userbase, full-stop. If the Wii is dead-dead-dead by the time they project to finish the game, they might move it, but unless the 3DS and Wii 2 tear out like banshees, it won't be to either one of them.

I'm not sure why people don't understand this rule with regards to DQ. It's very simply stated and always followed, and SE can't change it even if they wanted to.

Vinci

Danish
Momo said:

It's a good thing, then, that Nintendo isn't solely depending on your patronage. That said, time will tell whether your patronage can be regained.

Bizzyb

Banned
LM4sure said:

Based on the fact they are pumping out The rest of their major franchises in late 2010
(Metroid, Kirby, DK),
and sometime in 2011 with Zelda
AND they already released a Mario sequel (which they NEVER do), I don't see what else they could release that's just as significant for Wii. Not when it's so late in it's console life cycle. Seriously, Zelda WILL be the Swan Song. What better game can you open or close a consoles life with? I'm almost expecting them to play that part up, i.e. "We opened this chapter with Zelda, and now sadly we will close this chapter with Zelda"

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dragon Quest ain't moving anywhere unless another system picks up, fast, and the Wii drops equally fast. The game goes to the living system with the highest userbase, full-stop. If the Wii is dead-dead-dead by the time they project to finish the game, they might move it, but unless the 3DS and Wii 2 tear out like banshees, it won't be to either one of them.

I'm not sure why people don't understand this rule with regards to DQ. It's very simply stated and always followed, and SE can't change it even if they wanted to.

SE can do whatever the hell they want. If they think Wii is a dying platform and that they will not be able to recoup their money spent if released on Wii why they hell would they put it on Wii?? We have already seen time and time again that the Wiis userbase numbers doesn't mean JackSHIT unless your name is Mario. They could easily put on the brakes and use all of the art assets and main designs and just move them to a different platform. It's been done before with Starfox Adventures and many other games.

Momo

Banned
Vinci said:
It's a good thing, then, that Nintendo isn't solely depending on your patronage. That said, time will tell whether your patronage can be regained.
Nintendo's moved on, so have I. There may still be moments of passion in the future, but I see them as an ex-lover at this point.

evangd007

farnham said:
Madden never sold anything on the Wii. still got released though

EA is contractually obligated to release Madden on every major gaming system. Why do you think they still make a PSP version?

SapientWolf said:

Of course the marketing effort (and product) that will steal all the attention is the 3DS.

Vinci

Danish
Momo said:
Nintendo's moved on, so have I. I see them as an ex-lover at this point

Expanding is not the same as moving on, but I'm not going to attempt to adjust your feelings on the matter. You've a right to them. As long as you're enjoying yourself, it doesn't matter which company is helping to make that happen.

farnham

Banned
Bizzyb said:
Based on the fact they are pumping out The rest of their major franchises in late 2010
(Metroid, Kirby, DK),
AND they already released a Mario sequel (which they NEVER do), I don't see what else they could release that's just as significant for Wii. Not when it's so late in it's console life cycle. Seriously, Zelda WILL be the Swan Song. What better game can you open or close a consoles life with? I'm almost expecting them to play that part up, i.e. "We opened this chapter with Zelda, and now sadly we will close this chapter with Zelda"
hmm so nintendo releasing games is the proof that they are shutting the system down. i believe normally you would expect the opposite.

what can nintendo release in the future ?

we dont know. they have not shown anything. wii relax and pikmin 3 are kinda confirmed but anything beyond that is not clear.

evangd007 said:
EA is contractually obligated to release Madden on every major gaming system. Why do you think they still make a PSP version?

that must suck for them :lol :lol i bet they would love to cut the wii version as its wasted development money

Vinci

Danish
farnham said:
that must suck for them :lol :lol i bet they would love to cut the wii version as its wasted development money

Considering their Wii versions were sub-part products that likely wasted many people's investment, I can't say that I care if EA wasted development money.

Bizzyb said:
SE can do whatever the hell they want. If they think Wii is a dying platform and that they will not be able to recoup their money spent if released on Wii why they hell would they put it on Wii?? We have already seen time and time again that the Wiis userbase numbers doesn't mean JackSHIT unless your name is Mario. They could easily put on the brakes and use all of the art assets and main designs and just move them to a different platform. It's been done before with Starfox Adventures and many other games.
No, SE can't. Educate yourself before you run off your mouth. SE gets to give their input. They can make suggestions. They can ask nicely. But ultimately? Yuji Horii makes the decision, and Yuji Horii cares far more about having the bigger userbase than going after the new hotness.

And you are underestimating Dragon Quest's influence in Japan. There is literally nothing in the entire world that compares to when a new DQ releases here.

AniHawk

Bizzyb said:
(Metroid, Kirby, DK),

Pikmin 3 is probably a 2011 title, and if Wii Relax wasn't shelved (it was pretty damn absent from E3), it should be a relatively big title. Unless they start bringing stuff over like Reginliev, Xenoblade, and The Last Story as well, 2011 is going to be extremely barren and 2012 is going to be even worse. 2006 for the Gamecube was Odama, Chibi-Robo, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Twilight Princess (with 3 other games shown off at E3 and eventually moved to the next system). Somehow, I don't see something like that happening this time.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
evangd007 said:

Of course the marketing effort (and product) that will steal all the attention is the 3DS.
Well, that's in a different space altogether. It's not really a living room device. If anything, the 3DS is going to be competing with the new iPod Touch.

Top Bottom