• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

farnham

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:
Yup - looks like i was right a few years ago when i would get BLASTED in here for saying the Nintendo Wii would fizzle in a year or two after mom, pop, grandma, grandpa, uncle Leroy and little johnny jumped into the wii fad during its hayday. I would get called a stupid fucker in here for even stating that back then and would get attacked with violent words from the so called Mr. know-it-all's around here that think they know it all and eveyrone else is wrong with their opinion...god thats so freaking annoying to deal with in here some times..and there a few others that felt the same as i did about the big debates that would go on about this back then so i had some guys behind me but for the most part the arrogant SOB's in here would slit your throat for saying such things..hell i even had a mod ban me for saying the wii was just a fad...im sure you neogaf lifers know who this mod was..he was a nintendo fanboy to the fullest and would use his mod powers to ban someone if they said any thing that ruffled up his feathers :lol

This is EXACTLY what i predicted and this is EXACTLY whats happening right now. Man i wish i wasnt so lazy to go sift through those years old threads we debating to shove them in the assholes that got all personal and resorted to the nasty name calling towards anyone that would even mention what i mentioned..i even ues to get pm threats from some of the nintendo fanboys and i wasnt even bashing the damn thing..i just felt it was a fad that would fizzle out. And before fanboys get pissed at what im saying..i have not said at all that the wii is dead..all im saying is that its like a can of soda that has lost is fizzle...simple is that and no one wants to drink that kind of soda ....you dig?

It all comes down to Nintendo skimping out on the hardware and not going HD which pissed me off royally. To this day i bugs me because although what i've said may come off as me being a fanboy of the 360...im truly a gamer that loves all systems, owns all systems and enjoys pc gaming just as much as console gaming. ..although i no longer have my wii..i gave it to my nephew a year or so ago.

By the way..im VERY happy to see the good ps3 numbers as well...i must admit that i been playing more and more ps3 exclusive games lately and with GT5 around the corner...its gonna be one heck of a winter season for me as im loving some of these ps3 exlusives coming out. I can clearly see ps3 developers are utilizing the cell and rsx in tandom with some impressive results indeed. I cant even imagine what Polyphony Digital has done with taking advantage of the ps3's hardware...:D

Nintendo going thirdparty soon. You heard it here first !

Gravijah

farnham said:
Nintendo going thirdparty soon. You heard it here first !

STOP.

GLAMOR TIME

Nail-Art-Decorations-Glitter-Flake-GF-68-.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I call the silver sparkles. I would put that shit all over my Mii, in honor of the fallen NINTENDO brand.

you're not much more sane yourself with those DQ predictions you were throwing around.

I think anything he's posted ever is a good sign of his sanity level.

itxaka

Defeatist
So HD consoles going up and Wii going down.

Does that mean that wii owners/future owners are moving into HD consoles instead, casual owners are no longer buying the wii, or it's not linked?

farnham

Banned
itxaka said:

Does that mean that wii owners/future owners are moving into HD consoles instead, casual owners are no longer buying the wii, or it's not linked?
Well if you dont release anything after May you are going to have trouble in the consecutive months (yes they releases sin and punishment 2 but everybody knows that that one is not a big game).

Still cant believe why they didnt get Wii Party out in June or July. Its a finished game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
itxaka said:

XBOX has a boost from price drop/console revision. If it continues to hold the top spot, we can confirm there is a change in the order of things, but as of now it's too early to expect anything to be different. I honestly can't see Wii "casual" owners buying a PS3 because it has blu ray and head tracking or a 360 because it has full body motion controls. It's been a slow summer for videogame releases and we won't see much real competition until this fall. The final chapter of this gen should be interesting either way.

Future

Who gives a damn about hardware. Wii and DS arent dominating as much, and the Slim has reinvigorated Xbox sales (not to mention upcoming Halo release). The real story is software IMO. Nothin doin too well besides Mario and Madden. Modern Warfare and Wii Fit still on the chart, and NCAA football rounding out the top ten. DAMN. Only the biggest licenses sellin these days

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Future said:
Who gives a damn about hardware. Wii and DS arent dominating as much, and the Slim has reinvigorated Xbox sales (not to mention upcoming Halo release). The real story is software IMO. Nothin doin too well besides Mario and Madden. Modern Warfare and Wii Fit still on the chart, and NCAA football rounding out the top ten. DAMN. Only the biggest licenses sellin these days
It's true, but it's the August NPD's and there really isn't any competition. Madden was the only big seller released.

I was gonna say the new IP's have a chance this fall, but what new IP's even have a chance? All I can think of is Vanquish but LOL. It'll edge out it's rival Quantom Theory but I don't see it breaking the mold of Platinum/Clover underachiever status.

Rad-

Future said:

To be fair, there's nothing that interesting released lately. In retail I mean, plenty of good DD stuff.

KingDizzi said:
Why is that so hard to believe? GT5:p has years after release just passed 1 million shipped in NA, it might not be the full game however does give an indication where the franchise does and does not matter. So yep 1 million first month in NA will be a miracle for GT5, we are talking first month though and the franchise has legs so lifetime 2 million might happen.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

I'm good with GT sales, its the only franchise I give a shit about doing well. ;_;

I do think so too ... as much as I want it to sell huge I don't think it will do with many fanboys think it will at least not in the US. There was no line at PAX for the demo aside the sit down cockpit one and even that line was fairly short. Racing genre is kinda dead at least in the US.

Laguna

Banned
It seems most people got enough of that "blockmaster" of the month scheme and a lot got (again) burnt after the mediocre but hyped to hell and back blockbuster of the month like the recently released Red Dead Redemption. The only sad thing about it is that casual games like Madden still sell.

Laguna

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Why would that be sad? Do more casual gamers not deserve their entertainment? The game even scored fairly well.

It has less to do with casual gamers having fun, than this yearly roster-update for 70$ strategy.

Dabanton

Laguna said:
It has less to do with casual gamers having fun, than this yearly roster-update for 70$ strategy.

Well people buy into it. Me personally i rarely buy sports games for instance which do that it's a cynical but understandable practice. I mean EA even turns off the servers of the previous years game to get people to move on.

KingDizzi

Banned
antiquegamer said:
I do think so too ... as much as I want it to sell huge I don't think it will do with many fanboys think it will at least not in the US. There was no line at PAX for the demo aside the sit down cockpit one and even that line was fairly short. Racing genre is kinda dead at least in the US.

It's ok buddy, we Europeans will ensure the world continues to get big budget GT games :D. It's not like GT is anything to scoff at in NA and Japan, the numbers will still be decent however compared to EU they will just look meh to put it lightly. In terms of NPD the games I am looking forward to is Halo Reach vs Black OPS on just 360 (adding PC and PS3 just makes it unfair) and how well Donkey Kong sells, think that one will pretty much outsell everything released this year in the long run besides maybe Halo, Wii Party or COD. 2D + brand name = $$$

LM4sure

Banned
Future said:

I kind of agree with you. A lot of people are saying it's all doom and gloom for Nintendo now, but wasn't the PS3 in the same position when it first released? Sales were pitiful but once they dropped the price it started selling okay. Nintendo still has a couple of price drops left it can do. And I would bet money the Wii will dominate hardware sales this year.

LM4sure said:
I kind of agree with you. A lot of people are saying it's all doom and gloom for Nintendo now, but wasn't the PS3 in the same position when it first released? Sales were pitiful but once they dropped the price it started selling okay. Nintendo still has a couple of price drops left it can do. And I would bet money the Wii will dominate hardware sales this year.

Except that - as pointed out earlier - because of the strength of the yen against the dollar, Nintendo can't really afford another price cut without causing issues for themselves.

Don't look for price cuts this holiday, look for "value-adds" to the basic package like the new Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort/MotionPlus SKU rolled out a while back.

LM4sure said:
I honestly believe a new Wii revision with HD upscaling would give it a solid boost for another year or two. I'd buy one, at least!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Monty Mole said:
I honestly believe a new Wii revision with HD upscaling would give it a solid boost for another year or two. I'd buy one, at least!

This works only if you assume the reason that people aren't buying the Wii as much as they used to is because of a lack of HD support. I don't think that's the case.

Most people would argue the reason is because of a lack of software support. A "Wii HD" wouldn't change the software support situation, since any new software enabled by the platform would be exclusive to the platform and thus negate any install base advantage the Wii has.

So if you accept these two claims, the Wii HD might provide a boost from people rebuying a Wii HD, or from people who will at some point in the future buy a Wii opting for the more expensive Wii HD SKU instead, but it's not likely to allow for a "tide shift".

HMC

Purely ancedotal, but I'm convinced that hard-casual Madden-only guys, the type of dudes who only dust their console off to play (bet on) Madden...are almost universally transplanted PS2 guys who aren't into gaming enough to actually weigh a console decision, and just rolled with what they know.

Seriously, alot of those guys could give a fuck less about why that's a good or bad decision. I know quite a few of them that don't care about frame rates and exclusives. Just give them a duel shock and a blunt.

Stumpokapow said:
This works only if you assume the reason that people aren't buying the Wii as much as they used to is because of a lack of HD support. I don't think that's the case.

Most people would argue the reason is because of a lack of software support. A "Wii HD" wouldn't change the software support situation, since any new software enabled by the platform would be exclusive to the platform and thus negate any install base advantage the Wii has.

So if you accept these two claims, the Wii HD might provide a boost from people rebuying a Wii HD, or from people who will at some point in the future buy a Wii opting for the more expensive Wii HD SKU instead, but it's not likely to allow for a "tide shift".
Not a tide shift, but we've seen how DS revisions can boost hardware. Not to mention 360/PS3 slim.

It's good to see Nintendo finally making more of an effort with their core franchises. Metroid, SMG2 and games like Kirby, Zelda, DKC on the way. However, I do feel it's too little too late.

KingDizzi said:
It's ok buddy, we Europeans will ensure the world continues to get big budget GT games :D. It's not like GT is anything to scoff at in NA and Japan, the numbers will still be decent however compared to EU they will just look meh to put it lightly. In terms of NPD the games I am looking forward to is Halo Reach vs Black OPS on just 360 (adding PC and PS3 just makes it unfair) and how well Donkey Kong sells, think that one will pretty much outsell everything released this year in the long run besides maybe Halo, Wii Party or COD. 2D + brand name = $$$

Reach and Black Op will be an interesting match up. Despite what people are saying in this thread, Reach will do big numbers. People at my work who are casual gamer (as in they only buy 2-3 games a year max) all waiting for Reach and COD.

As for Donkey Kong, I think it will do great numbers, the response at PAX for Nintendo offering is nothing but positive. The Epic Yarn game should do well also, or I hope it will because it looks awesome (and I am not a Kirby fan at all).

Shiggy

Those Wii sales don't come as a surprise. In fact, I don't see me buying any games for it except for SMG2 (which I already have), Epic Mickey and Wii Party.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Wii is getting close to 3rd place. Nintendo needs the holidays to come soon.

Its hit is saturation point though, you're going to see sales dip a bit with the exception of Nov-Dec.

FrankT

Adam Blade said:
... great numbers all around. The 360 seems to be showing itself to be the dominant console this year in the US.

However, I suspect its numbers to decrease in the following months given the bad news MS has unleashed this past month. 360 numbers should drop once more people are aware of the highway robbery MS pulled with the Live price increase, the seeming mess that is Kinect, and the dearth of any announced exclusives outside of their star Space Marine for the rest of the year.

Call me when these so called declines kick in come November/December. Who makes this kind of call. :lol By far the best 8 month period it has ever had and I suspect the best year overall of the five in the end. I tend to remember Fable 2 doing near 800k in a week and half in 08 so Reach ain’t the only gun this fall. Gears 2 and Fable 2 plus price drop provided the best year end it ever had, and I suspect the same with Reach, and Fable 3 plus new HW. Kinect is a bit of a curveball so who knows, but I tend to think November is going to be very big in both HW and SW. One thing they should improve this year is those holiday bundles like 08. Hint; Live increase isn’t going to do anything this fall and especially so announcing this early, and before Reach. They put the increase in the month of COD so we’ll see how it goes over.

Shiggy said:
Those Wii sales don't come as a surprise. In fact, I don't see me buying any games for it except for SMG2 (which I already have), Epic Mickey and Wii Party.

Hmm, any word on Wii SW declines this month versus the whole?

HMC said:
Seriously, alot of those guys could give a fuck less about why that's a good or bad decision. I know quite a few of them that don't care about frame rates and exclusives. Just give them a duel shock and a blunt.

Puff, puff, pass.

Vic said:
What the hell is coming out for the Wii after Zelda, excluding DQX?

Assuming "Wii Relax" and the Vitality Sensor still exist and are still planned for Wii and not its successor, that is perhaps the only title that could release post-Zelda that we know about.

Third party looks totally barren for 2011, though, and even assuming Nintendo's usual secrecy it does appear that next year is going to be pretty empty.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
OldJadedGamer said:
I see GT5 doing about 650k if that high in it's first month in NPD. 650k high end, 450k low end. GT5P only did 225k it's first month.

You're basing GT5's future performance in the US based on a $40 demo (which was the very first time a Prologue came out in the US)? Not to mention it came out more than two years ago with a lower user base?

Alrighty...

farnham

Banned
Vic said:
Im assuming that they will have some announcements about the Wii when they are doing the big 3DS event. At this point they have nothing for early 2010 and the holiday lineup for 2009 doesnt look that good either.

Laguna

Banned
Vic said:

Last Story, maybe Xenosaga and also Earthseeker looks interesting. And like this year there´ll most likely be new announcements like DKC and Kirby at next years E3.

I have a question about Madden got the Wii version delayed/canned? because it would be to good to be true if Wii´s version bombed that hard after Peter Moores "awesome" changes to sell it to the Wii audience lol.

farnham said:
Im assuming that they will have some announcements about the Wii when they are doing the big 3DS event. At this point they have nothing for early 2010 and the holiday lineup for 2009 doesnt look that good either.

Well, they've still got Sin & Punishment 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, Wii Party and Donkey Kong Country Returns lined up, and they can probably rely on New Super Mario Bros. Wii through the holidays (I still reckon Reggie's going to win that bet!)

farnham

Banned
Laguna said:
Last Story, maybe Xenosaga and also Earthseeker looks interesting. And like this year there´ll most likely be new announcements like DKC and Kirby at next years E3.

I have a question about Madden got the Wii version delayed/canned? because it would be to good to be true if Wii´s version bombed that hard after Peter Moores "awesome" changes to sell it to the Wii audience lol.
Madden never sold anything on the Wii. still got released though

farnham

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Well, they've still got Sin & Punishment 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, Wii Party and Donkey Kong Country Returns lined up, and they can probably rely on New Super Mario Bros. Wii through the holidays (I still reckon Reggie's going to win that bet!)

They also got Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors and Golden Eye that could potentially do some decent numbers.

But yeah overall not that strong. Although i suspect that Nintendo neglected June, July, August and September in favor of October, November and December. They could have released Wii Party in June.

farnham said:
They also got Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors and Golden Eye that could potentially do some decent numbers.

But yeah overall not that strong. Although i suspect that Nintendo neglected June, July, August and September in favor of October, November and December. They could have released Wii Party in June.

...well, I thought it was obvious...

FrankT

Btw, is there any word on if we will see any numbers as far as the Move/Kinect bundles go? Or shall we just expect that to be wrapped in with the revenue numbers?

Jtyettis said:
Btw, is there any word on if we will see any numbers as far as the Move/Kinect bundles go? Or shall we just expect that to be wrapped in with the revenue numbers?
For the bundles which have games... we'll see them if they hit the top 10. Otherwise I'd expect them to be mentioned in the "top accessories" bit that NPD normally do.

farnham

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:

...well, I thought it was obvious...
Well its a old Nintendo strategy that they used to pull back in the gamecube days. The problem is that its hard to get back on track once you are in a sales slump.

like, you know how when a guy doesn't catch something at first it's funny, but then as time goes on and the guy still doesn't catch it, it just kind of gets hard to watch?

Jtyettis said:

I would expect to see numbers if they are worth shouting about and not if they aren't, unless the NPD decide to release them out of the goodness of the..i..r..no, I can't do it.

EDIT:

Oh, dear :lol

operon

Mr.Potato Head said:
Yup - looks like i was right a few years ago when i would get BLASTED in here for saying the Nintendo Wii would fizzle in a year or two after mom, pop, grandma, grandpa, uncle Leroy and little johnny jumped into the wii fad during its hayday. I would get called a stupid fucker in here for even stating that back then and would get attacked with violent words from the so called Mr. know-it-all's around here that think they know it all and eveyrone else is wrong with their opinion...god thats so freaking annoying to deal with in here some times..and there a few others that felt the same as i did about the big debates that would go on about this back then so i had some guys behind me but for the most part the arrogant SOB's in here would slit your throat for saying such things..hell i even had a mod ban me for saying the wii was just a fad...im sure you neogaf lifers know who this mod was..he was a nintendo fanboy to the fullest and would use his mod powers to ban someone if they said any thing that ruffled up his feathers :lol

This is EXACTLY what i predicted and this is EXACTLY whats happening right now. Man i wish i wasnt so lazy to go sift through those years old threads we debating to shove them in the assholes that got all personal and resorted to the nasty name calling towards anyone that would even mention what i mentioned..i even ues to get pm threats from some of the nintendo fanboys and i wasnt even bashing the damn thing..i just felt it was a fad that would fizzle out. And before fanboys get pissed at what im saying..i have not said at all that the wii is dead..all im saying is that its like a can of soda that has lost is fizzle...simple is that and no one wants to drink that kind of soda ....you dig?

It all comes down to Nintendo skimping out on the hardware and not going HD which pissed me off royally. To this day i bugs me because although what i've said may come off as me being a fanboy of the 360...im truly a gamer that loves all systems, owns all systems and enjoys pc gaming just as much as console gaming. ..although i no longer have my wii..i gave it to my nephew a year or so ago.

By the way..im VERY happy to see the good ps3 numbers as well...i must admit that i been playing more and more ps3 exclusive games lately and with GT5 around the corner...its gonna be one heck of a winter season for me as im loving some of these ps3 exlusives coming out. I can clearly see ps3 developers are utilizing the cell and rsx in tandom with some impressive results indeed. I cant even imagine what Polyphony Digital has done with taking advantage of the ps3's hardware...:D

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Segata Sanshiro said:
like, you know how when a guy doesn't catch something at first it's funny, but then as time goes on and the guy still doesn't catch it, it just kind of gets hard to watch?
I fuckin' love you Segata! :lol I dunno if you have been more active lately or just on a roll, but thanks to you the last couple of months on neogaf have been hilarious.

Top Bottom