• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

Hex

Banned
Good month and good for Until Dawn.
Infinity only had 2 days, or was it three...still would have liked to see it up there.
But all and all good ramp up to TGS
cWTZBwY.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And how could I forget to give props to Minecraft. That is the definition of printing money. I am curious about the individual sales for GTA V and Minecraft. Especially on last gen.

SpotAnime

Lol just because it charted doesn't mean it did well. #7 probably ain't so great.

4-5 days though.

And that's just a handful of days in August. It ain't even October yet, when I imagine UD to do well around Halloween because it's a new horror game. The Let's Play videos are only going to continue to give great grassroots promotion.

It's going to have some legs, I predict. Great job, Supermassive.

Maybe not in the U.S., but worldwide I think it does now. Uncharted 4 will outsell Halo 5.

We also don't know how much damage has been done to the Halo franchise from Halo 4 and MCC, while Naughty Dog just came off of a game that was massively praised. I think Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 in America will be closer than some people think, and I do think it is a possibility that it is in favor of Uncharted 4. Then on top of all that the PS4 is actually ahead of the Xbox One in sales in the US, while the 360 was ahead of the PS3.
Time will tell, but I don't think we can say which will do better with any certainty right now.

Lucreto

Uncharted has no where near the popularity of Halo.

That's true. Halo 4 sold more copy that there are Xbox One consoles so it will be a long burning title but I am not expecting to sell millions by itself. Far more former 360 owners didn't play Uncharted so that can be a factor.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Nirolak- Here is Sony PR for the OP

“We would like to thank our fans and partners for their ongoing support of PlayStation and for making PS4 the top-selling console and No. 1 in software sales in North America in August,” Sony Computer Entertainment America said in a statement. “We continue to demonstrate our commitment to delivering the best content line-up with the launch of first-party exclusives like Until Dawn and third-party titles like Madden NFL 16, which sold more on PS4 than any other platform. In August we also saw the most successful beta in PS4 history with Call of Duty: Black Ops III, marking a significant milestone in our new partnership with Activision. We look forward to furthering momentum with the launch of Destiny: The Taken King next week.”

That's true. Halo 4 sold more copy that there are Xbox One consoles so it will be a long burning title but I am not expecting to sell millions by itself. Far more former 360 owners didn't play Uncharted so that can be a factor.

Do you have any proof of this? We have no numbers for Halo 4 that I know of.

stryke

It's traditionally had stronger sales than uncharted, but the 360 lead in console sales for that gen also.
It'll be interesting to see how sales compare to previous installments.
With the change to 343i, then MCC issues, and releasing on the #2 platform.

It should still win. New game vs remasters. But the numbers will be interesting.

Install base size doesn't matter as much in that Halo often achieves a high attach rate. The install base is already big enough to comfortably facilitate a multimillion seller of their most popular IP. I could see it being down from Halo 4 for the reasons you listed but yes, it'll be much higher than Uncharted.

Jigorath

Banned
No hint of the actual PS4 sales yet?

We wait for cream.

Install base size doesn't matter as much in that Halo often achieves a high attach rate. The install base is already big enough to comfortably facilitate a multimillion seller of their most popular IP. I could see it being down from Halo 4 for the reasons you listed but yes, it'll be much higher than Uncharted.

Yeah, the Halo franchise has a Nintendo-like attach rate. It'll definitely sell more than Uncharted 4 in the US. Worldwide will be more... well you know the word.

kswiston

We also don't know how much damage has been done to the Halo franchise from Halo 4 and MCC, while Naughty Dog just came off of a game that was massively praised. I think Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 in America will be closer than some people think, and I do think it is a possibility that it is in favor of Uncharted 4. Then on top of all that the PS4 is actually ahead of the Xbox One in sales in the US, while the 360 was ahead of the PS3.
Time will tell, but I don't think we can say which will do better with any certainty right now.

If we are not counting bundled software and software given away for free as part of PS+, I don't think there is much chance at all that Uncharted 4 will outsell Halo 5 in the US.

Uncharted 3 sold around 700k in its first month. Halo 4 did 3.2M.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The XBO, TV deal....wow. Imagine if there was no deal like that, it may have been under 200k if the estimates hold up.

I saw it as either getting the XBO or the TV at a discount..not just getting the XBO at a discount. I wanted to get in on that deal too. Wish I could have...because I need a new TV.

Just to clear you are talking about Uncharted Collection and not Uncharted 4? I don't think any one expects a remaster collection to outsell Halo 5.

Relative to the same period last generation, I believe the following is true:

The best selling system YTD for this generation is selling less well than the third place system YTD last generation

The second best selling system YTD this generation is selling ~70% as well as the last placee system YTD last generation

The third best selling system YTD this generation doesn't even really make the map last generation (< 50% the sales of the third place system last generation).

Am I looking at that correctly?

I think you need to look at it in the context of the MSRP. Microsoft isn't doing so well, but the PS4 will easily catch up once they finally reduce the price.

hawk2025

The XBO, TV deal....wow. Imagine if there was no deal like that, it may have been under 200k if the estimates hold up.

I saw it as either getting the XBO or the TV at a discount..not just getting the XBO at a discount. I wanted to get in on that deal too. Wish I could have...because I need a new TV.

And Madden bundle, and Gears bundle.

I feel like those are more relevant than a more limited deal, no?

Lucreto

Do you have any proof of this? We have no numbers for Halo 4 that I know of.

No official numbers which it odd. I went by Halo 3 numbers for 12.5 million copies and when Halo 4 came out with a further expanded userbase I estimate around 15 million.

Microsoft being quiet on the numbers after they announced Halo 3 figures makes me think it sold less.

It certainly won't do Halo 3 numbers 3 million in 12 days.

Good results

Xbox One sales are 202,000 for the month (estimated)

PlayStation 4 sold higher and remains the cumulative sales leader.

Good to see Until Dawn doing well with just 4 days of tracking and more so Gears of War Ultimate Edition.

Splatoon now has over 600,000 LTD sales and Amiibo sell through is over 7 million.

"Next month will be interesting".
Why will next month be interesting?

kswiston

I think you need to look at it in the context of the MSRP. Microsoft isn't doing so well, but the PS4 will easily catch up once they finally reduce the price.

If the goal is passing the PS3's 2008, PS4 doesn't have to do anything.

Here are NPD sales for PS3 in the last 4 months of 2008

Sept - 232k
Oct - 190k
Nov - 378k
Dec - 726k

Sarobi

Banned
I think Uncharted 4 could outsell Halo 5. I know Halo has a good track record of doing amazing, but this gen has been weird for Microsoft so far, and I believe it is completely fair to put this in the "anything can happen" section.

Jigorath

Banned
If the goal is passing the PS3's 2008, PS4 doesn't have to do anything.

Here are NPD sales for PS3 in the last 4 months of 2008

Sept - 232k
Oct - 190k
Nov - 378k
Dec - 726k

Jesus Christ PS3 sold like complete shit during the holidays. Yeah PS4 will pass it lol.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Halo 3 launched in September 2007 to an Xbox 360 install base of 6.7 million in the USA.

In the USA the game sold 3.3 million units to end users during the first month and by the end of the year the game had been purchased by over 4.85 million customers in the US. By the end of 2008 the game had sold 5.77 million units in the USA and to date has sold more than 7 million units including all editions + re-releases.

Halo 3: ODST launched September 2009 to an Xbox 360 install base of 16.2 million in the USA.

In the USA it sold 1.52 million units to end users during the first month and has sold through more than 2.5 million units as of 2010. As a spin off game, lower sales were to be expected.

Halo Reach launched September 2010 to an Xbox 360 install base of 22 million in the USA.

In the USA Halo Reach sales matched launch sales of Halo 3 with more than 3.3 million being sold through during the first month. By the end of the year Halo Reach sales had reached over 4 million sold through in the USA. It's estimated that Halo Reach sold better than ODST but has not been able to match 3 sales in the USA.

Halo 4 launched November 2012 to an Xbox 360 install base of 36.6 million in the USA.

In the USA Halo 4 sold an estimated 3.2 million units to end customers during its launch month and by the end of the year had sold through more than 4.5 million units.

Perhaps someone who actually follows Halo or has additional software sales data can fill in the gaps.

Halo 5 will launch to an install base of over 8 million in the USA (Xbox One) and can be expected to sell over 3 million units during month 1 in order to be a success.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
People severely underestimating Uncharted 4. Xbox isn't dominating the U.S. like last generation(against PS3). Attach rate is nothing nothing but speculation. 3:1 is a pipe dream.

On November 2011, with OVER 18,000,000 playstation 3 sold, Uncharted 4 sold only 700,000 in a intere month... and was November... with Black Friday...

Uncharted 4 coming in March, and will chart 3 weeks.
PS4 will be lucky to be at 13 million sold ( so, less than PS3 during Uncharted release ).

Halo usually sell over 3 million in the first month.

Seriusly guys, deal with it, Halo in the US is just too strong for Uncharted.

Hoje0308

Banned
On November 2011, with OVER 18,000,000 playstation 3 sold, Uncharted 4 sold only 700,000 in a intere month... and was November... with Black Friday...

PS4 will be lucky to be at 13 million sold ( so, less than PS3 during Uncharted release ).

It's not going 3:1

kswiston

Halo will win by a landslide, but PS4 is past the point where install base matters that much. especially when we are talking post Holiday 2015.

So you are sticking with your 3:1 prediction? Care to wager on it?

Hoje0308

Banned
I don't think it's necessary for me to preface the geographical relevancy of my point in an NPD thread.

The member you addressed that to was also talking about worldwide, so yeah, it would've helped.
Edit: I should be clear and say the last post I saw from that person was made regarding worldwide numbers.

2.5:1 absolutely best scenario.

Uncharted as a series is on a upward trajectory though, which is not really the case with Halo. Halo 5 will most likely outsold UC4 in the US but not by 3:1 or even 2.5:1

allan-bh

People severely underestimating Uncharted 4. Xbox isn't dominating the U.S. like last generation(against PS3). Attach rate is nothing nothing but speculation. 3:1 is a pipe dream. This isn't 2007.

Original Xbox is miles behind 360 in US and Halo sold incredible on the system.

Attach rate for Halo 5 will be big as always, so 3:1 could be a pipe dream, but 2:1 is almost guarantee.

Top Bottom