• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

watdaeff4

I'm most interested in Halo 5s legs. Unless the game is legit as fuck its going to fall off hard. November is just too stacked right after it. You have Black Ops 3, Fallout 4, and Battlefront hitting right after it

Yep. Fallout 4 won't eat into it's sales nearly as much as Black Ops3/Battlefront. People excited for Halo itself will pick it up early, but once the competition comes out........well, most people aren't going to plunk down $100 - $180 to have Halo, BO3 and Battlefield or 2 out of those 3

I have a problem, I have all 3 pre-ordered

kswiston

It was a full fledged remake of the most beloved game in the franchise. And it was bundled with three other Halo titles, with all their multiplayer modes intact. The game was marketed as the killer exclusive to get for the Xbone that holiday. It was definitely a high profile release for the series.

Look at Halo 3 ODST, that was nothing more than a 6 hour campaign with Halo 3's multiplayer mode thrown in. Yet it opened well over a million. MCC's opening wasn't BAD, it was just disappointing.

The game was broken. >600k is more than it deserved in that state.

Kill3r7

I'm most interested in Halo 5s legs. Unless the game is legit as fuck its going to fall off hard. November is just too stacked right after it. You have Black Ops 3, Fallout 4, and Battlefront hitting right after it

MS should have released Halo 5 in early October. Even if it turns out to be the best Halo game ever its sales will be impacted by those other 3 games. They are all potentially 1+ million sellers. Add to that TR and they will cannibalize each other's sales. People do not have limitless income.

Jigorath

Banned
I really wish people would stop predicting massive sales for Remakes and ports of console games in the west. Unless the port is within a year, it's not going to happen.

Halo 5 will sell massively better than MCC, because 1) it's a new game, and 2) MCC's multi was a disaster.

I really wish you wouldn't put words into my mouth.

A. I never predicted "massive" sales for the game. More in line with what ODST did.

B. I've never used MCC to prove that Halo 5 will sell poorly.

C. I've said the opposite as I expect Halo 5 to sell extremely well.

D. I consider MCC's debut disappointing for reasons I've already outlined above.

More than 1 million for 2014 in NPD it's a "pretty big disappointment" ?

Huh? Where did you get that million figure?

The game was broken. >600k is more than it deserved in that state.

Right. The broken multiplayer definitely hurt sales.

MS should have released Halo 5 in early October. Even if it turns out to be the best Halo game ever its sales will be impacted by those other 3 games. They are all potentially 1+ million sellers. Add to TR and they will cannibalize each other's sales. People do not have limitless income.

More likely they all do 2+ million November. COD will be like 6 million or more or something crazy. Early October would have been a mich better launch date. Give the game some room to breath.

I bet UC4 outsells Halo 5 globally in the long run though

Purest 78

I think Naughty Dog are the golden boys at this point and time. I just don't think halo is as relevant as it use to be. I think UC4 and Halo5 sells will be really close.

Faustek

sexy is it not?

Usually I would say yes. He has some sort of quality, a rugged wild sexyness to him but that picture you're sporting. One of the few that just makes him look bad :/ Perhaps the sunglasses?

EDIT: ahh he is to thin! That's it.

GTA V still in the Top 5 every month it seems....

must be, what, 60m now? if we ever get a DLC expansion pack, and then the first holidays where the game is more heavily discounted, probably gonna push 70m on current gen

then, GTA SA has got, what, an extra 5m or more just from cheap iOS and PS2 to PS3/Steam port sales... seems like it grew over 5m LTD over the last 5 years or so, mostly because of $5 ports or whatever I suppose

so eventually, with at least ports 5 years from now, GTA V should easily pass 75m if it doesn't just purely as a current-gen title

djkeem

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of gran turismo, i'm still shocked with how much it sales.
Growing up here in southern california none of my friends would ever talk about nascar, f1, or anything racing. It was mostly basketball (lakers), football and other sports.
So when you tell me a car game can peak at around 10 million in sales it just blows my mind lol.
I guess it's just a different culture. Racing must be huge across europe.
Honestly the way it sells makes me want to check it out even though im not that into cars lol.

statham

MS should have released Halo 5 in early October. Even if it turns out to be the best Halo game ever its sales will be impacted by those other 3 games. They are all potentially 1+ million sellers. Add to that TR and they will cannibalize each other's sales. People do not have limitless income.

agree with this, MS has too many games this fall.

allan-bh

I don't think so, Advanced Warfare sold 4.7 million last year... i see a Zhuge tweet where he said the Black Ops III pre orders was bigger... can you confirmed Zhuge?

Advanced Warfare pre-orders was bigger than Ghosts too according to Activision.

CoD entered in a downward spiral, maybe the Black Ops name can stop that.

kswiston

I don't think so, Advanced Warfare sold 4.7 million last year... i see a Zhuge tweet where he said the Black Ops III pre orders was bigger... can you confirmed Zhuge?

I didn't really pay attention to COD sales last year, but that seems super low compared to where the series was 2-3 years ago. What was Ghosts' debut?

ZhugeEX

Banned
GTA V still in the Top 5 every month it seems....

must be, what, 55-60m now? if we ever get a DLC expansion pack, and then the first holidays where the game is more heavily discounted, probably gonna push 75m

then, GTA SA has got, what, an extra 5m or more just from cheap iOS and PS2 to PS3/Steam port sales... seems like it grew over 5m LTD over the last 5 years or so, mostly because of $5 ports or whatever I suppose

so eventually, with at least ports 5 years from now, GTA V should easily pass 75m if it doesn't just purely as a current-gen title

54 million.

Should get to 60 million in the end. (excluding other re-releases)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I didn't really pay attention to COD sales last year, but that seems super low compared to where the series was 2-3 years ago. What was Ghosts' debut?

11887830_118953368451724_1677402631977141722_n.jpg

kswiston

54 million.

Should get to 60 million in the end. (excluding other re-releases)

I think it will be higher than that. The Steam version is just shy of 3M now and it has more or less never been on sale. I think the PC version alone will hit 10M within the next 3-4 years, similar to what we saw with Skyrim.

I really wish you wouldn't put words into my mouth.

A. I never predicted "massive" sales for the game. More in line with what ODST did.

B. I've never used MCC to prove that Halo 5 will sell poorly.

C. I've said the opposite as I expect Halo 5 to sell extremely well.

D. I consider MCC's debut disappointing for reasons I've already outlined above.

Huh? Where did you get that million figure?

Right. The broken multiplayer definitely hurt sales.

ODST was an expansion of the actually most popular Halo game + a new and well received multiplayer mode + a map pack for Halo 3, which was still one of the top played games on XBL.

MCC despite its problems is still one of the fastest selling Remakes on console. There is simply no precedent to suggest it could have done better.

nib95

Banned
More than 1 million for 2014 in NPD it's a "pretty big disappointment" ?

How does MCC sales compare to that of past Halo's? I know it's not directly comparable because this it's a set of Remasters rather than a new release, but the value proposition was certainly very high.

Welfare

The competition with Halo 5 and Battlefront can hurt launch sales in some level.

True, but I think the name of Black Ops alone will do a lot for initial sales. A whole bunch of people are still on the 360 and PS3 just playing the Black Ops games that will make the jump for a next gen sequel.

Cornbread78

Hopefully, Lost Song will do well, too.

That should be a bar graph, not a line graph.

Hopefully, since it is getting a physical release this time as well. It won't chart, but hopefully, sells good. If nothing else more people should watch the first 15 episodes of the anime yo understand the backstory, lol

Jigorath

Banned
ODST was an expansion of the actually most popular Halo game + a new and well received multiplayer mode + a map pack for Halo 3, which was still one of the top played games on XBL.

MCC despite its problems is still one of the fastest selling Remakes on console. There is simply no precedent to suggest it could have done better.

I don't see why ODST is a high profile release but a Halo 2 remake isn't. Most fans consider it the best in the series. Firefight was neat but didn't have any matchmaking. The campaign was a short spinoff. The new map pack was, well, a map pack.

Papacheeks

Banned
I will take this bet, do you want to avatar bet or something? talkin NPD, even through PS4 has a huge advantage.

Yea, I'll take an avatar bet. And to be clear we are talking retail not bundles.

And we are talking US, and how long for sales? As in how long do we measure sales for each? 1 Month from release?

True, but I think the name of Black Ops alone will do a lot for initial sales. A whole bunch of people are still on the 360 and PS3 just playing the Black Ops games that will make the jump for a next gen sequel.

The Black Ops brand is a monster.

I mean in NPD in this month in 2015 Black Ops on last gen outsold combined AW sales for the month and also Batman on curremt gen which is only 2 months old.

Think about that. Crazy

ZhugeEX

Banned
Btw, if you guys want to know MW LTD sales in the USA.

>9.5m

SW Only.

Was the game that ultimately led to CoD becoming massive. All other games released after (Numbered/series) have outsold it.

allan-bh

yeah, I think Black Ops it's a powerful name for at least go back at Ghosts level. But I'm feeling that people are getting tired of Call of Duty.

allan-bh

I don't see why ODST is a high profile release but a Halo 2 remake isn't. Most fans consider it the best in the series. Firefight was neat but didn't have any matchmaking. The campaign was a short spinoff. The new map pack was, well, a map pack.

OSDT it's a new game, Halo 2 don't.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The Black Ops brand is a monster.

I mean in NPD in this month in 2015 Black Ops on last gen outsold combined AW sales for the month and also Batman on curremt gen which is only 2 months old.

Think about that. Crazy

That's true, though, will never top the crazy level of Modern Warfare 3... the sales of this game was really unbelievable...

Top Bottom