• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

NPD data released for December and all of 2008 also included the following:

* The industry’s top 4 selling games of 2008 were: Wii Play™ at No. 1, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 2, Wii Fit™ at No.3, and Super Smash Brothers™ Brawl, at No. 4.
* Industry annual revenues jumped 19% in 2008 over 2007, and Nintendo products were responsible for 99% of those additional retail dollars.
* Nintendo DS set another industry record for system sales in any month, with 3.04 million units sold in December.
* Wii broke its own monthly record, set in December 2007, by selling 2.14 million units last month.
* In December, Nintendo titles filled 20 of the top 30 spots on the best-seller list. Six games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10, including Wii Music™ for Wii (No. 9), which has now sold 865,000 units following its launch in October 2008, and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS (No. 7), which has sold a total of 4.3 million units 38 months after launch.
* Activision’s Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock and Guitar Hero® World Tour, and MTV Games/EA’s* Rock Band Special Edition Bundle all sold more units on Nintendo platforms than any other platforms in 2008.
* More 3rd party units were sold for Wii than any other home consoles in December for the 2nd consecutive month.
* For the year, more than 132 million games were sold in America for play on Nintendo systems.

Sadly, this still won't stop the same trolls from saying wii games don't sell and wii owners (aka soccer moms and senior citizens) never buy 3rd party games

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't get it. If the PS3 is selling half as much at twice the price, that means that 360 is selling double the amount at half the price. So, when the PS3 is at $300 selling 1 million in December, the 360 (Arcade) will be at $150 selling 2. In what reality can the PS3 ever catch up? If/when it ever gets to the 360 price, the install base will be too disparate.

Playstation brand something something everybody is waiting for the PS3 price to drop something something Playstation means videogames something something 10 year life cycle something something Blu-ray replaces DVD PS3 ready something something

HylianTom said:
Dec_NPD_Chart.jpg
where-is-your-god-now-preview.jpg

CrazzyMan said:
FY* == Sony** ====== Nintendo ===== Microsoft
1998 = 974,000,000 === 629,000,000
1999 = 1,130,000,000 == 645,000,000
2000 = 730,000,000 === 421,000,000
2001 = -409,000,000 === 726,000,000
2002 = 623,000,000 === 800,000,000 == -750,000,000
2003 = 939,000,000 === 560,000,000 == -1,191,000,000
2004 = 650,000,000 === 316,000,000 == -1,215,000,000
2005 = 404,000,000 === 777,000,000 == -485,000,000
2006 = 75,000,000 ==== 894,000,000 == -1,262,000,000
2007 = -1,969,000,000 = 1,489,000,000 = -1,892,000,000
2008 = -1,265,000,000 = 2,480,000,000 = 426,000,000
2009 = 51,000,000 ==== 1,026,000,000 = 178,000,000
Totals 1,953,000,000 = 10,762,000,000 = -6,191,000,000

are these wrong numbers?
And it`s not like Sony is not going to get a profit from PS3/PSN/PSP/PS2/Home. =)

Those are slightly outdated numbers. Even so you can see that the total profit for Sony's game division are less that those from just adding 1998 and 1999, 2 years that come from before the PS2 launch.

AwRy108 said:
Excuse me? So relatively new users can't contribute their opinions without being ridiculed? A what point did my brief comment hurt your feelings enough to make you lash out?

Apparently you just can't handle the fact that your not the only forum user who gets to partake in free speech.
Pretty much. Welcome to GAF.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Playstation brand something something everybody is waiting for the PS3 price to drop something something Playstation means videogames something something 10 year life cycle something something Blu-ray replaces DVD PS3 ready something something
I don't see BR saving the PS3, there are too many other options for veiwing films and they are all a lot cheaper than $23-29.99.

AwRy108

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't get it. If the PS3 is selling half as much at twice the price, that means that 360 is selling double the amount at half the price. So, when the PS3 is at $300 selling 1 million in December, the 360 (Arcade) will be at $150 selling 2. In what reality can the PS3 ever catch up? If/when it ever gets to the 360 price, the install base will be too disparate.

Your response is definitely logical. However, why does it matter which system is selling the most? The original XBox and the GameCube were way behind in sales compared to the PS2, but both were great systems with some truly strong points.

I'd say that the only "place" that matters is the position that Nintendo holds with the Wii: they're crushing the competition, but most of their loyal fans are unhappy with the software.

Jag22

Banned
How much 3rd party software that is being sold on the Wii shovelware?

When I go to Best Buy I see dozens of games I've never heard of priced between $9.99 and 19.99.

AwRy108 said:
Excuse me? So relatively new users can't contribute their opinions without being ridiculed? A what point did my brief comment hurt your feelings enough to make you lash out?

Apparently you just can't handle the fact that your not the only forum user who gets to partake in free speech.

A.) That was hardly a "lashout"
B.) Note I won't whine about your post like you whined about mine. I'm free to repsond to your posts and your free to respond to my posts.
C.) There is a curious trend of low post PS3 backers saying relativley foolish things that seems to dovetail nicely as certain prolific ps3 posters get banned.

AwRy108 said:
However, why does it matter which system is selling the most

Perhaps because this is an NPD sales thread.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
AwRy108 said:
I'd say that the only "place" that matters is the position that Nintendo holds with the Wii: they're crushing the competition, but most of their loyal fans are unhappy with the software.
You got numbers to back up that assertion?

Balb

Jag22 said:
How much 3rd party software that is being sold on the Wii shovelware?

When I go to Best Buy I see dozens of games I've never heard of priced between $9.99 and 19.99.

How many third party Wii games aren't shovelware?

AwRy108

Stoney Mason said:

Wow, you're like a cranky old man who hates his wife and has ran out of Wild Turkey. Methinks you need to get outdoors a bit more and live a little.

That older games continue to sell on Nintendo platforms is fascinating. Almost four years after its release, Mario Kart DS places on the top ten. Meanwhile, New Super Mario Brothers, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Yoshi's Island, etc. hang around the top 20 and 30, years after their respective releases.

Pretty awesome.

They must have SHIT-TON of games in the pipeline.

this is the first month I have ever though to myself "Those wii numbers look a bit low." Guess they chose to have a great november at the expense of an even greater december.

Also, woohoo at Brawl being 4th best selling game of year

Gotchaye

This may well have been pointed out already, but Nintendo's pie chart is somewhat disingenuous. The industry grew by some amount of money, and Nintendo's revenues grew by 99% of that, but other companies could also have seen revenue growths that were significant percentages of the industry total.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AwRy108 said:
Wow, you're like a cranky old man who hates his wife and has ran out of Wild Turkey. Methinks you need to get outdoors a bit more and live a little.

Yeah, you're not going to last long here

AwRy108 said:
Your response is definitely logical. However, why does it matter which system is selling the most? The original XBox and the GameCube were way behind in sales compared to the PS2, but both were great systems with some truly strong points.

You are clearly new.

You can see it clearly in this forum, that most of their loyal fans are pretty happy with the system (personally, I don't know how). Even if it's true that there a few little number of people who are clearly unhappy aka his Wii is collecting dust.

And yeah, Xbox360 and PS3 are great systems, but this is a sales thread, so it matters, yeah, and, you were the first commenting about how awesome PS3 sales will be when the price drop hits! So I don't know where are you getting with that comment.

FrankT

Sony:

PlayStation by the Numbers - December 2008

PlayStation Brand Staged for Continued Momentum in 2009

Total 2008 PS3 Hardware Sales Up 40% and PS3 Software Sales Up 115% in the U.S.

PLAYSTATION 3

The PlayStation® brand delivered continued sales momentum throughout 2008 with a total of 3.6 million PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) units sold in the U.S. by the end of 2008, an increase of 40% from the previous year. In December, 726,005 PS3 hardware units were sold, representing an increase of 92% from November.

PS3 also generated one of its strongest months in software unit sales in the U.S., with almost 6 million units sold in December. For the calendar year, PS3 software unit sales increased 116%.

* Top-selling games for PS3 in December included exclusive hits Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet, as well as third-party blockbusters, such as Activision’s Call of Duty: World at War, Midway Games’ Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Ubisoft’s Price of Persia.
* Top-selling games for PS3 in 2008 included Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty: World at War and the exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

PlayStation Network
With more than 17 million PlayStation®Network users worldwide and a total of 330 million pieces of content downloaded to date, the PlayStation Network continued to be a destination of choice during the holidays for interactive entertainment content.

* Top three most downloaded games in December included Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Soldner-X: Himmelssturmer and Linger in Shadows.
* Top three most downloaded movies in December included The Dark Knight, Step Brothers, and GetSmart.

PlayStation Portable
PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack continued to be popular choices in the U.S. for on-the-go entertainment in December, with more than 1 million hardware units sold, an increase of 143% from November. In December, more than 3.7 million software units were sold for PSP, including popular hits such as Madden NFL 09, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 and Lego Batman: The Videogame.

* The PSP exclusive titles Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and God of War: Chains of Olympus, which both launched in March, were the top two most popular titles of 2008 and sold a combined 1,313,893 units in 2008.

PlayStation 2
PlayStation®2 (PS2) and the LEGO Batman: The Videogame PS2 Entertainment Pack delivered another month of solid sales in December, with a 99% increase in hardware units and 124% lift in software units from the previous month.

* The Guitar Hero franchise sold over 3 million units on the PS2 in 2008.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

In 2008, the PlayStation brand generated more than $6.4 billion in revenue in the U.S.

* PlayStation’s hardware unit revenue generated more than $2.5 billion in 2008.
* PlayStation’s software unit revenue totaled more than $3.2 billion in 2008.

Executive Perspective

“The PlayStation brand has had a solid calendar year with total PS3 hardware sales up 40% and total PS3 software sales up 115%. We remain confident in our momentum into 2009 as we continue to deliver to our consumers the best entertainment content and technology out there. And we delivered on that promise this past year with one of the best software line-ups in the industry, a dramatically expanded PlayStation Network with the launch of the video delivery service and the beta of PlayStation Home, as well as extended hardware offerings with the PSP 3000 and Uncharted 160GB PS3 bundle. We also hit a remarkable milestone for the PlayStation 2 platform in North America with 50 million units sold. It’s truly an amazing testament to the power and legacy of our brand.”

— Peter Dille, Senior Vice President of Marketing and PlayStation® Network, Sony Computer Entertainment America

http://kotaku.com/5132280/sony-responds-to-december-npd-sales-seems-pleased

Heh, ya got to love the pic Kotaku picked out with it.

jeremy1456

Jag22 said:
Cry? it's a serious question.

No one is curious?

The term 'shovelware' is subjective, and it's thrown around far too often.

I've seen everything from Super Mario Galaxy to Mario Kart Wii labeled as such on these boards.

Gotchaye said:
This may well have been pointed out already, but Nintendo's pie chart is somewhat disingenuous. The industry grew by some amount of money, and Nintendo's revenues grew by 99% of that, but other companies could also have seen revenue growths that were significant percentages of the industry total.

It's called spinning.

Balb

AwRy108 said:

Some people simply like to watch football, others like to watch football while knowing player stats too.

Gotchaye

That older games continue to sell on Nintendo platforms is fascinating. Almost four years after its release, Mario Kart DS places on the top ten. Meanwhile, New Super Mario Brothers, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Yoshi's Island, etc. hang around the top 20 and 30, years after their respective releases.
I read this, and the strength of first party games in general, as evidence that third parties are really missing the market with the Wii (and, to a lesser extent, the DS). They're doing something very wrong when first party titles that are often many months (and sometimes years) old can still consistently outsell them in the year's biggest months.

jeremy1456

Relaxed Muscle said:
You are clearly new.

You can see it clearly in this forum, that most of their loyal fans are pretty happy with the system (personally, I don't know how). Even if it's true that there a few little number of people who are clearly unhappy aka his Wii is collecting dust.

And yeah, Xbox360 and PS3 are great systems, but this is a sales thread, so it matters, yeah, and, you were the first commenting about how awesome PS3 sales will be when the price drop hits! So I don't know where are you getting with that comment.

I've been happy with mine in the past (No More Heroes, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, etc.) but there has been a pretty good drought. The thing is that the drought has only been going on since fall - most people just have really short term memories because the Wii had a good year until the final months.

2009 looks to be a big improvement though, so I'm not particularly upset.

I think that's how most rational owners see it.

Arde5643

Gotchaye said:
Nintendo's chart was based on this bullet point:
* Industry annual revenues jumped 19% in 2008 over 2007, and Nintendo products were responsible for 99% of those additional retail dollars.

It's definitely disingenuous and total wankery by Ninty. :lol

Gotchaye

Perfectchaos - obviously, but some may not have realized how the spin was misleading. I'm not saying that Nintendo is evil for doing it; it's a good move on their part.

PlayStation by the Numbers - December 2008

PlayStation Brand Staged for Continued Momentum in 2009

Total 2008 PS3 Hardware Sales Up 40% and PS3 Software Sales Up 115% in the U.S.

PLAYSTATION 3

The PlayStation® brand delivered continued sales momentum throughout 2008 with a total of 3.6 million PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) units sold in the U.S. by the end of 2008, an increase of 40% from the previous year. In December, 726,005 PS3 hardware units were sold, representing an increase of 92% from November.

PS3 also generated one of its strongest months in software unit sales in the U.S., with almost 6 million units sold in December. For the calendar year, PS3 software unit sales increased 116%.

* Top-selling games for PS3 in December included exclusive hits Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet, as well as third-party blockbusters, such as Activision’s Call of Duty: World at War, Midway Games’ Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Ubisoft’s Price of Persia.
* Top-selling games for PS3 in 2008 included Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty: World at War and the exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

PlayStation Network
With more than 17 million PlayStation®Network users worldwide and a total of 330 million pieces of content downloaded to date, the PlayStation Network continued to be a destination of choice during the holidays for interactive entertainment content.

* Top three most downloaded games in December included Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Soldner-X: Himmelssturmer and Linger in Shadows.
* Top three most downloaded movies in December included The Dark Knight, Step Brothers, and GetSmart.

PlayStation Portable
PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack continued to be popular choices in the U.S. for on-the-go entertainment in December, with more than 1 million hardware units sold, an increase of 143% from November. In December, more than 3.7 million software units were sold for PSP, including popular hits such as Madden NFL 09, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 and Lego Batman: The Videogame.

* The PSP exclusive titles Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and God of War: Chains of Olympus, which both launched in March, were the top two most popular titles of 2008 and sold a combined 1,313,893 units in 2008.

PlayStation 2
PlayStation®2 (PS2) and the LEGO Batman: The Videogame PS2 Entertainment Pack delivered another month of solid sales in December, with a 99% increase in hardware units and 124% lift in software units from the previous month.

* The Guitar Hero franchise sold over 3 million units on the PS2 in 2008.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

In 2008, the PlayStation brand generated more than $6.4 billion in revenue in the U.S.

* PlayStation’s hardware unit revenue generated more than $2.5 billion in 2008.
* PlayStation’s software unit revenue totaled more than $3.2 billion in 2008.

Executive Perspective

“The PlayStation brand has had a solid calendar year with total PS3 hardware sales up 40% and total PS3 software sales up 115%. We remain confident in our momentum into 2009 as we continue to deliver to our consumers the best entertainment content and technology out there. And we delivered on that promise this past year with one of the best software line-ups in the industry, a dramatically expanded PlayStation Network with the launch of the video delivery service and the beta of PlayStation Home, as well as extended hardware offerings with the PSP 3000 and Uncharted 160GB PS3 bundle. We also hit a remarkable milestone for the PlayStation 2 platform in North America with 50 million units sold. It’s truly an amazing testament to the power and legacy of our brand.”

— Peter Dille, Senior Vice President of Marketing and PlayStation® Network, Sony Computer Entertainment America

51lne4e6QqL_SL500_.jpg

Arde5643

cvxfreak said:
I think PSP hardware sales are respectable.

*runs*
Sony PR should've used all of its processing power on inflating PSP hardware sales.

That was probably the only good thing happening to Sony this month.

The PSP exclusive titles Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and God of War: Chains of Olympus, which both launched in March, were the top two most popular titles of 2008 and sold a combined 1,313,893 units in 2008.

The two best selling PSP titles combined for 1.3 mil? Wow, that's bad.

Stoney Mason said:

secret PS3 game

Crazy numbers in general. It really bothers me that the top selling games were all Nintendo shovelware (yeah I said it!) or rehashes and the top 3 were packed with peripherals!!

Strange that the DS sold 3 mil and not one DS game in the top 10. What are people playing on it? Or is the love spread around to all that Babyz and shit?

Top Bottom