• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh I know. I just thought it was an interesting conversation to have, re: the evolution of "availability" with the onset of DLC.

I don't think it's a significant enough issue yet. And it's one that's being artificially prompted, not by the market.

As I edited in my post above, if anything it's reflective of the levelling of the third party field, going both ways. Actual full third party exclusives are becoming so rare for both companies now that this is what they're beginning to come to - exclusive demos, exclusive ads, exclusive dlc, exclusive cross promo deals, exclusive bundles etc.

yurinka

omg rite said:
:lol :lol @ that Wii thread.

In all honesty, can the PS3 even survive at this point. I can't imagine sales going up in 2009 and they CAN'T go down. They just can't. That would be very bad.

With 360 now always being less expensive than PS3, looking like the better console in many consumer's eyes, and the Wii crushing everyone. With PS3 doing poorly in Japan and 360 even selling better now in Europe and the console just bleeding money.

I really have a hard time seeing this thing continue as a viable platform after 2009. :\
Looking at full 2008 vs full 2007 NPD numbers, PS3 sold more than a million more than the previous year, and 360 raised like 100k even it had the price drop.

In Japan PS3 in 2008 like the previous years did better numbers than 360.

In Europe MS said 360 they sold 1 million more than PS3, but Sony said PS3 sold 300k more than 360 in PAL territories (PAL territories = Europe + Africa + Oceania + other little territories like Middle East).

PS3 still has a "expensive" price, the 360 is cheaper than a Wii. I doubt Sony loose so much money with every PS3 sold compared to the 360.

It's hard to see a 360 price cut in 2009, but not a PS3 price cut. Price cuts means to boost sales.

Both consoles have a strong 2009 game schedule, but only the PS3 has some strong exclusive franchises announced to debut in the console this year: Final Fantasy XIII -Japan only in 2009-, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2...

gofreak said:
I don't think it's a significant enough issue yet. And it's one that's being artificially prompted, not by the market.

As I edited in my post above, if anything it's reflective of the levelling of the third party field, going both ways. Actual full third party exclusives are becoming so rare for both companies now that this is what they're beginning to come to - exclusive demos, exclusive ads, exclusive dlc, exclusive cross promo deals, exclusive bundles etc.

It's mind share, though. It's how "Playstation" became another way to say "console". Like I said, three people on Earth are going to buy a 360 for Project: Anchorage, but the more MS positions the 360 as the "best" ("most complete"?) place to play high profile titles like Fallout and GTA, the better it is for their brand.

Bulla564

Banned
omg WRONG said:
In all honesty, can the PS3 even survive at this point. I can't imagine sales going up in 2009 and they CAN'T go down. They just can't. That would be very bad.

With 360 now always being less expensive than PS3, looking like the better console in many consumer's eyes, and the Wii crushing everyone. With PS3 doing poorly in Japan and 360 even selling better now in Europe and the console just bleeding money.

I really have a hard time seeing this thing continue as a viable platform after 2009. :\

j959h0.jpg

Better line-up, cheaper price, higher blu-ray adoption, profitable 3rd party games, KILLZONE 2, all this awaits the PS3 in 2009 and beyond...

It's not like the GC AT ALL...

omg rite said:

And ....... back to bailing out of this shithole thread.

Grecco

Bulla564 said:
KILLZONE 2, all this awaits the PS3 in 2009 and beyond...

Ill take some slack for this but people are overestimating the effect KZ will have on PS3 sales. Its a month from going on sale and there's no adds for this. This is the game Sony should be pimping to the masses. And they haven't.

Grecco said:
Ill take some slack for this but people are overestimating the effect KZ will have on PS3 sales. Its a month from going on sale and there's no adds for this. This is the game Sony should be pimping to the masses. And they haven't.

Oh shit, it kind of is. Maybe they'll have a Super Bowl spot for it. I remember MS released that early Gears trailer (the one with the poem) a few months before release. Sony should definitely do something like that.

Bulla564 said:
Better line-up

Entirely subjective. And to date the lineup already for the PS3 doesn't seem to have attracted a large groundswell of support. What's coming out that isn't more of the same?

cheaper price

Cheaper compared to what? Obviously not the Gamecube. Obviously not the Wii or the X360 either. Cheaper compared to itself? But the Gamecube (and every other system) could claim to have that too.

higher blu-ray adoption

PS3 is no longer the cheapest or best Blu-Ray player on the market. Anyone who gets a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player needs to be interested in the interactive portion of the system first.

profitable 3rd party games

Isn't this already covered by the 'better lineup'? Nevermind that games on the system making a profit has relatively little correlation with the actual system's fortunes. The Cube, for example, had some very profitable games.

KILLZONE 2

Once again, doesn't this deal with the 'better lineup'? And even if it sells on the level of GTAIV or Halo 3 one game is not going to turn the system around.

Yeah, the Cube at least had the N64's moderate failures to prep Nintendo fans for the Gamecube's catastrophic failure (not that they actually seemed to deal with it very well at all, mind you.). Sony fans, by contrast, are being tossed into the deep end of the pool.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
It's mind share, though. It's how "Playstation" became another way to say "console". Like I said, three people on Earth are going to buy a 360 for Project: Anchorage, but the more MS positions the 360 as the "best" ("most complete"?) place to play high profile titles like Fallout and GTA, the better it is for their brand.

Well, of course, if they can do that, it helps them. But I wonder how easy it is to communicate that value compared to when you actually have a title exclusively, properly...it's a much less powerful argument than those that used to be at the disposal of an exclusive-rich platform holder.

The HD market is being split into two fairly sizeable chunks..trying to pull third parties one way or the other seems like it's only going to yield marginal added value (like exclusive DLC..which itself is rare anyway, thusfar). I think they'd be better off focussing on games that are actually exclusive that have a chance to make a difference on the market.

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, the Cube at least had the N64's moderate failures to prep Nintendo fans for the Gamecube's catastrophic failure (not that they actually seemed to deal with it very well at all, mind you.). Sony fans, by contrast, are being tossed into the deep end of the pool.

A pool full of wonderful, wonderful games :p

I think most reasonably thinking people can see where GC analogies fall apart. They're situations - mostly because of the overall situation - are very different.

Bulla564

Banned
Grecco said:

It might even flop in the charts (despite the hype since 2005) but it will be FUCKAWWWSOMMMEE!!

botticus

radjago said:
True, but when was the last time you saw a DS game in the top 10? I don't believe it's as prevalent as it is with PSP, but I've noticed more DS flash carts around than I ever had with GBA.
Yesterday.

I think the problem (if you want to call it that) is the DS userbase is extremely broad, leading to significant off-chart growth as lots of people buy lots of different games. Just look at MK DS, even though it's one of the more exceptional titles (it has been in the top 20 pretty frequently). December was its first appearance in the top 10 this year, but it sold 1.1 million copies between January and November.

Sydle

yurinka said:
Looking at full 2008 vs full 2007 NPD numbers, PS3 sold more than a million more than the previous year, and 360 raised like 100k even it had the price drop.

In Japan PS3 in 2008 like the previous years did better numbers than 360.

In Europe MS said 360 they sold 1 million more than PS3, but Sony said PS3 sold 300k more than 360 in PAL territories (PAL territories = Europe + Africa + Oceania + other little territories like Middle East).

PS3 still has a "expensive" price, the 360 is cheaper than a Wii. I doubt Sony loose so much money with every PS3 sold compared to the 360.

It's hard to see a 360 price cut in 2009, but not a PS3 price cut. Price cuts means to boost sales.

Both consoles have a strong 2009 game schedule, but only the PS3 has some strong exclusive franchises announced to debut in the console this year: Final Fantasy XIII -Japan only in 2009-, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2...

You know PS3 had a price drop right before 2008, right?

gofreak said:
I think they'd be better off focussing on games that are actually exclusive that have a chance to make a difference on the market.

But they seem to have enough money to do both. A lot of MS' casual outings have flopped, but they're certainly putting money into their development. And this holiday Gears and Fable delivered tremendously and L4D, whatever the nature of that deal was (if there even was one), turned out to be a surprising coup for the console. And they still had the money/resources to secure those content deals. I don't see much evidence that they've chosen one over the other.

xbhaskarx

Bulla564 said:
Better line-up, cheaper price, higher blu-ray adoption, profitable 3rd party games, KILLZONE 2, all this awaits the PS3 in 2009 and beyond...

In 2009 the PS3 will be cheaper than the GC was?

Posted a write up over at niceskybox.com. Reading through the thread, I don't think I've said any thing revolutionary, but probably a nice sum up.

Graphs:

Text:
As has been the case all year long, Nintendo’s Wii and NDS took the historically busy month of December. Continuing the momentum generated by Microsoft’s September price drop, Xbox 360 turned in a solid performance with modest gains over 2007. Sony’s platforms, on the other hand, had a tough month, as each of them posed smaller totals than December 2007.

NoE recently announced 2008 sales numbers for NDS and Wii in Europe, and similarly to US returns, both platforms had record years. Wii sales for the year totaled over 8.3 million units, making it the largest year for a home console in Europe ever. Not to be outdone, NDS sold 11.2 million units during 2008, making it the largest year for any console in European history. The LTD (lifetime to date) sales of Wii and NDS in Europe are 14.2 million and 31 million units respectively.

The most impressive aspect of Nintendo’s success thus far is that they have left themselves with a number of ways to maintain (and perhaps further propel) consumer demand in the future. On the NDS side of things, the hardware remains at $129.99 – its original launch price. While the most logical means of maintaining demand would be for Nintendo to drop the price of the handheld as warranted, it looks like the company might go in a different direction. The DSi, an NDS hardware refresh that was released in Japan during Fall 2008, is rumored to release in North America in April this year at $179.

Nintendo has managed Wii’s success in a similar manner. Its current MSRP ($249) is the same as its launch price, and with each unit reportedly being sold at a handsome profit, Nintendo will have no problems dropping the price as demand wanes. Further, it has been customary in past generations for Nintendo to periodically release their consoles in new colors and with unique designs, but they have yet to find a reason to reach into this bag of tricks with Wii. Expect to see new colors at some point in 2009.

Whichever way you slice it, Nintendo is sitting pretty on the success of Wii and NDS. They have this generation wrapped up from a numbers perspective, and it will be interesting to see how the company leverages their current dominance throughout the next few years and into their next product releases.

Microsoft continues to ride the wave of momentum generated from their September price cuts. Sales have continued to climb, and though their November and December 2008 results are only marginally better than their 2007 returns, you won’t hear them complaining in the face of Nintendo’s sales monsoon and a shaky economy.

Still, there’s definitely something to be said for the fact that 360 was not able to more prominently outpace last year’s totals for November and December. The console is significantly cheaper than it was last year, and while it’s hard to compare 2007’s and 2008’s respective lineups from an objective basis, 2008’s slate, at the least, had some heavy hitters. I think the economy might be pointed to as some means of explanation, but it’s worth noting that Wii showed a marked improvement over 2007 (and might have done better had there been a more robust supply) despite any issues with the economy. That’s not to say that Microsoft should be concerned with their returns, but I’ll be interested to see how the next few months unfold.

Microsoft’s success is more apparent in contrast to Sony’s lagging sales. As in November, all of Sony’s platforms saw a year over year decrease in sales in December – not exactly the positive trend that the company was no doubt hoping for. Still, it’s not as if this decrease in sales has been unexpected. Especially in the face of Microsoft’s price drop, it was clear in September that there was little Sony could do this year to reverse the stagnation.

Don’t expect the situation to improve for Sony in the short term. As I mentioned in last month’s analysis, the PS3’s Blu-ray capability is no longer a compelling part of the console’s feature set since there are now a number of players retailing for ~$150. Further, it seems as if Sony is in no hurry to drop the price – Dan Reeves of SCEE recently commented, “The most important thing for us as a company in the very short term is for us to start making money.”

That’s not to say that the game is over completely. With the manufacturing costs of PS3 dropping consistently, it won’t be long before Sony does start making a slight profit on unit sales. The only question is whether or not that milestone will immediately spur a price drop (as Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter thinks will happen). I can’t imagine that Sony can afford (ironic?) to wait for too long for a price slash of some kind, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

markatisu

True, but when was the last time you saw a DS game in the top 10? I don't believe it's as prevalent as it is with PSP, but I've noticed more DS flash carts around than I ever had with GBA.

Lego Indiana Jones was Top 10 on DS in June (it was #9), Guitar Hero On Tour for the DS was in the Top 10 for 3 months (June-Aug), along with Mario Kart DS in Dec that is 4 months out of the last 7.

Before that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was #7 and #8 in the April NPD, and #9 and #10 in the May NPD which would mean 6 out of the last 9 months had a Top 10 DS entry

If we had a Top 20 it would be represented every month, a majority of DS games sell just outside the Top 10 often but sell a lot longer from total LTD sales. Kirby DS for example sold in the Top 15 for September and October NPD, Pokemon Ranger was in the Top 15 for November NPD

What was the last PSP game to chart in the Top 10? Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core both debuted in the March 08 NPD, since then....

Even in expanded Top 20 listings (we dont get accurate sales numbers but we do get placement) the PSP games rarely chart

Bulla564

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Entirely subjective. And to date the lineup already for the PS3 doesn't seem to have attracted a large groundswell of support. What's coming out that isn't more of the same?

Of course it is subjective, and without resorting to liztz warzz you can tell me YOUR opinion on which system has a better 2009 lineup as of now. By far, I believe it is the PS3, based on upcoming blockbusters alone.

Pureauthor said:
Cheaper compared to what? Obviously not the Gamecube. Obviously not the Wii or the X360 either. Cheaper compared to itself? But the Gamecube (and every other system) could claim to have that too.

DUUUHHHH of course cheaper compared to itself. I'll use "less expensive" if it tickles your fancy. Amid strong competition, a price of $400 is very elastic, and a drop will boost sales a lot (i.e. it was beating the X360 monthly after a price drop). Many people, including Wii and X360 owners are waiting on the sidelines for that sweetspot price for them. Might be $350, $300, $250, whatever...

Pureauthor said:
PS3 is no longer the cheapest or best Blu-Ray player on the market. Anyone who gets a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player needs to be interested in the interactive portion of the system first.

How about being interested in BOTH the blu-ray player and the "interactive portion of the system"? It's why the PS3 has remained the best selling blu-ray player out there, and its attractiveness will remain in 2009.

Pureauthor said:
The Cube, for example, had some very profitable games.

Made by Nintendo?

Pureauthor said:

If you are a Sales-Age Sony fanatic, then yeah, you are going through some rough as times. If you are a gamer, you are actually enjoying a line-up that is equal or BETTER than what Sony has offered before in the same lifespan of a console.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
But they seem to have enough money to do both. A lot of MS' casual outings have flopped, but they're certainly putting money into their development. And this holiday Gears and Fable delivered tremendously and L4D, whatever the nature of that deal was (if there even was one), turned out to be a surprising coup for the console. And they still had the money/resources to secure those content deals. I don't see much evidence that they've chosen one over the other.

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest they weren't also providing their own fully exclusive games! I just think those games are a bigger deal, that's where they should spotlight. And I think it is..the DLC stuff is only a handful of cases.

Pureauthor said:
Why do so many writeups completely ignore handhelds?

:(

Yeah, it's a good question, to be honest. For me, at least, I think the issue is two-fold. On one hand, the handheld situation has been pretty consistent over the past year or two. PSP has sold relatively well from a hardware perspective and NDS has sold excellently from a hardware perspective. That hasn't really changed in quite some time. On the other hand, it's hard to really get a grasp on the software situation on both platforms. I think that it's okay to make the jump that NDS has better sofware sales than PSP, but I'm wary of extending far beyond that point simply because we have such little data to analyze.

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
I think they'd be better off focussing on games that are actually exclusive that have a chance to make a difference on the market.
But so far Sony made zero games on PS3 that really mattered and Microsoft made perhaps two that were important to some extent... Both companies have to rethink their publishing strategies so that there is some universal quality about them (it doesn't mean they have to be all the same), that people instantly assosiate with them and want - Nintendo sells their consoles on their games not on hardware features (which is the only weapon Sony has at the moment).

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest they weren't also providing their own fully exclusive games! I just think those games are a bigger deal, that's where they should spotlight.
Putting largely popular 3rd party franchises in spotlight is not a bad idea when your own games lack in popularity.

Grecco

Bill_the_Butcher said:
I really don't understand the PS3 gloom and doom. Does anyone have worldwide sales? Consoles are sold in more than just the United States.

You do realize this is sales for the US?

Why do people keep bringing in Non US Sales on a US Sales thread?

Bill_the_Butcher said:
I really don't understand the PS3 gloom and doom. Does anyone have worldwide sales? Consoles are sold in more than just the United States.
Not sure what difference that would make to be honest.

Bill_the_Butcher said:
Yes but this is a NPD thread so it's about the US.

Also, I don't believe the PS3 is significantly selling a lot more than the 360 if we sum up all regions, and since MS has a solid lead, it's hard for the PS3 to catch up.

Bulla564 said:
Of course it is subjective, and without resorting to liztz warzz you can tell me YOUR opinion on which system has a better 2009 lineup as of now. By far, I believe it is the PS3, based on upcoming blockbusters alone.

Of course, the affect your belief has on the market is but a drop in a barrel. However, what isn't subjective is that thus far consumers have voted with their wallets that they massively prefer the Wii.

Hence my question - what's coming out that will make consumers sit up and take notice of the PS3 over the Wii, or even the X360?

DUUUHHHH of course cheaper compared to itself. I'll use "less expensive" if it tickles your fancy. Amid strong competition, a price of $400 is very elastic, and a drop will boost sales a lot (i.e. it was beating the X360 monthly after a price drop). Many people, including Wii and X360 owners are waiting on the sidelines for that sweetspot price for them. Might be $350, $300, $250, whatever...

Well, every single month we can see that millions more leave the sidelines and enter the Wii/X360/handheld camp instead. And statistically speaking it is very unlikely for people to own more than one console. So every month until the fabled pricedrop is a loss for Sony.

How about being interested in BOTH the blu-ray player and the "interactive portion of the system"? It's why the PS3 has remained the best selling blu-ray player out there, and its attractiveness will remain in 2009.

'Best selling Blu-Ray player' is hardly something to be proud of. Especially when the 'best-selling Blu-Ray player' doesn't even managed 800K during December.

Made by Nintendo?

Yes, made by Nintendo - I fail to see whether a profitable game's effect on a system's fortune differ as to whether its 1st or 3rd party. Actually, scratch that - 3rd party games are likely have less of an effect due to the greater likelihood of it being multiplatform. Like the X360/PS3 scenario for instance.

If you are a Sales-Age Sony fanatic, then yeah, you are going through some rough as times. If you are a gamer, you are actually enjoying a line-up that is equal or BETTER than what Sony has offered before in the same lifespan of a console.

That's great. This, however, is a Sales-Age thread.

xbhaskarx

Grecco said:

I don't bother to read Japan sales threads, do Xbox fans make similar comments in those?

"5k 360s sold is not bad... and don't forget about the US!"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:
But so far Sony made zero games on PS3 that really mattered and Microsoft made perhaps two that were important to some extent... Both companies have to rethink their publishing strategies so that there is some universal quality about them (it doesn't mean they have to be all the same), that people instantly assosiate with them and want - Nintendo sells their consoles on their games not on hardware features (which is the only weapon Sony has at the moment).

This is true..they both need to forge obviously distinct identities. I can see distinctions, but the general market, whether they can..

szaromir said:
Putting largely popular 3rd party franchises in spotlight is not a bad idea when your own games lack in popularity.

Perhaps, but I think when it comes to platform choice for a consumer, I'm not sure how much of an impact that makes in most cases compared to 100% exclusives. GTA might be an exception, I don't know..but I can't see too many people thinking 'oh, i have to get the 360 for tomb raider or fallout dlc'..I don't see that being the tipping point for a lot of people. It's no harm, can only help, but I wouldn't pivot a content strategy on it (and AGAIN, I know MS is not doing so!).

I could be very wrong though :p Maybe there are enough people who think like that.

Grecco said:

Because people are acting like because of these sales the Sony should board up the windows and close up shop. It's just not the case. It's fanboy garbage. It's very likely that the PS3 equaled or outsold the 360 is 2008 worldwide, yet by reading this thread you would think the console war is over. I do realize that this is sales for the US, hence my post, I think it is other people that don't realize that NPD's only reflect 1 territory; why don't you go bark up their tree?

xbhaskarx said:
I don't bother to read Japan sales threads, do Xbox fans make similar comments in those?

"5k 360s sold is not bad... and don't forget about the US!"

That's not what my comment was about, don't twist it. My comment was directed at the people declaring that Sony will no longer be able to recover. I am just pointing out that consoles are sold in more than just the US.

Balb

gofreak said:
This is true..they both need to forge obviously distinct identities. I can see distinctions, but the general market, whether they can..

Perhaps, but I think when it comes to platform choice for a consumer, I'm not sure how much of an impact that makes in most cases compared to 100% exclusives. GTA might be an exception, I don't know..but I can't see too many people thinking 'oh, i have to get the 360 for tomb raider or fallout dlc'..I don't see that being the tipping point for a lot of people. It's no harm, can only help, but I wouldn't pivot a content strategy on it (and AGAIN, I know MS is not doing so!).

I could be very wrong though :p Maybe there are enough people who think like that.

I don't think anybody will buy a 360 just for exclusive Fallout DLC, but it affects people who pay attention to gaming. When they constantly see exclusive games. dlc and to a much lesser extent, demos, they'll most likely go for the 360 over the PS3.

Bill_the_Butcher said:
Because people are acting like because of these sales the Sony should board up the windows and close up shop. It's just not the case. It's fanboy garbage. It's very likely that the PS3 equaled or outsold the 360 is 2008 worldwide, yet by reading this thread you would think the console war is over. I do realize that this is sales for the US, hence my post, I think it is other people that don't realize that NPD's only reflect 1 territory; why don't you go bark up their tree?

Wrong. Assuming equal sales in Europe (actually, they're more likely to be in X360's favour given the sales we do know, but whatevers), the X360 has beaten the PS3 in 2008, and in LTD has widened their WW lead to 8 million instead of the initial 6 million when the PS3 launched.

That's not what my comment was about, don't twist it. My comment was directed at the people declaring that Sony will no longer be able to recover. I am just pointing out that consoles are sold in more than just the US.

See, the problem here is that your two statements aren't causally related to each other. Sony will most likely recover (but not the PS3, of course, the system's an abysmal failure), but that has nothing to do with consoles being sold worldwide.

Bulla564 said:
j959h0.jpg

Cheaper bluray players are already on the market now with equal if not better performance of the ps3 so that isnt really a big selling point anymore.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
So are these reasonable estimates (using historical data, extrapolation, and logic) for the end of 2011 for the three systems...?

Wii = 100 million+
360 = 55 million+
PS3 = 40 million+

If so, then I'd say that's the biggest generation of all time and all three systems would have made some money and provided nice entertainment for their owners.

Pureauthor said:
Wrong. Assuming equal sales in Europe (actually, they're more likely to be in X360's favour given the sales we do know, but whatevers), the X360 has beaten the PS3 in 2008, and in LTD has widened their WW lead to 8 million instead of the initial 6 million when the PS3 launched.

Exactly. These assumptions seem to be rooted in a hypothetical in which the 360's Year Lead of several million does not exist. Every market assumption is predicated on that lead. The PS3 can not afford to even perform "just as well" as the 360, much less worse. It is coming from behind from a massive preloaded gap in sales.

Pureauthor said:

PS3 is winning many territories in PAL except England. If you look at software numbers for Germany and Spain, there are an awful lot of PS3 titles at the top. Throw in Japan... Throw in Korea... I promise it is closer than you think.

To declare "Wrong" is ill informed.

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:

It's not just about exclusive DLC, it's about big franchises, that's why Microsoft often was paying for exclusive advertising of 3rd party games when it felt it would be good to inform people of their presence. You can ignore it all you want, but first games people play on their HD consoles are Call of Duty or Guitar Hero, not Resistance or Gears of War.

Pureauthor said:
See, the problem here is that your two statements aren't causally related to each other. Sony will most likely recover (but not the PS3, of course, the system's an abysmal failure), but that has nothing to do with consoles being sold worldwide.

My god, your head is so far up Hyrb's rear you can probably tell me what he ate for lunch. If you want me to be more specific, the PS3 can recover. I'm not saying it will, I'm saying that the people in the thread claiming that it's doom and gloom for the PS3 have no clue what they're talking about. Like I said NPD's only report 1 territory. Just 1. That's all.

Bill_the_Butcher said:
PS3 is winning many territories in PAL except England. If you look at software numbers for Germany and Spain, there are an awful lot of PS3 titles at the top. Throw in Japan... Throw in Korea... I promise it is closer than you think.

To declare "Wrong" is ill informed.

What the heck is Korea doing in there? That place is PC-land. Any console sales there will be done by the hardcore gamers and thus will barely register.

Secondly - England comprises a very large number of total console sales for Europe, not least of which is because mainland Europe far prefers PC gaming to console gaming. Therefore, winning UK is significant.

Secondly, high software sales do not mean high hardware sales. To do that look no further than the X360 in USA itself - the first few years of its life it had phenomenal software sales but middling-to-atrocious hardware sales.

My god, your head is so far up Hyrb's rear you can probably tell me what he ate for lunch. If you want me to be more specific, the PS3 can recover. I'm not saying it will, I'm saying that the people in the thread claiming that it's doom and gloom for the PS3 have no clue what they're talking about. Like I said NPD's only report 1 territory. Just 1. That's all.

Yes, it is possible for the PS3 to recover. It is also possible I own a magic pink unicorn whose horn can shoot out candy.

More importantly, like I said earlier, the fact that NPDs report only one territory is utterly irrelevant to the PS3's chances of recovery. It is performing awful worldwide.

And who in blazes is Hyrb?

open_mouth_ said:
So are these reasonable estimates (using historical data, extrapolation, and logic) for the end of 2011 for the three systems...?

Wii = 100 million+
360 = 55 million+
PS3 = 40 million+
I think you might be a little high on the 360 and a little low on the PS3... but I do think that the Wii will top 100m when all is said and done.

FrankT

open_mouth_ said:

Wii = 100 million+
360 = 55 million+
PS3 = 40 million+

If so, then I'd say that's the biggest generation of all time and all three systems would have made some money and provided nice entertainment for their owners.

Not bad, could be a little higher on both the 360 and PS3. I see a very long cycle this gen. Ah 2011, it could be around there maybe.

Hellraizer said:
As long as they are close, nothing will change, thanks to the lead that MS already has.

I keep saying this as well. I don't get how squabbling about how close the PS3 may or may not be in Annual WW sales helps the console's case even remotely.

Top Bottom