• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Bulla564 said:
Better line-up, cheaper price, higher blu-ray adoption, profitable 3rd party games, KILLZONE 2, all this awaits the PS3 in 2009 and beyond...

UGH, all this Killzone WHORING is pushing me away from the game.

Bulla564 said:
Made by Nintendo?
resident-evil-4.jpg
sc2-small.jpg
cover.jpg
cover_small.jpg

Hcoregamer00 said:

You never struck me as the type to get interested in FPSes anyway...

Especially since there's no playable females. Or did I miss someone?

harSon

Banned
Bill_the_Butcher said:
PS3 is winning many territories in PAL except England. If you look at software numbers for Germany and Spain, there are an awful lot of PS3 titles at the top. Throw in Japan... Throw in Korea... I promise it is closer than you think.

To declare "Wrong" is ill informed.

The Playstation 3's sales in Japan for the year don't even compensate for the gap between it and the 360 in this months NPD. Korea isn't relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Bulla564

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Of course, the affect your belief has on the market is but a drop in a barrel. However, what isn't subjective is that thus far consumers have voted with their wallets that they massively prefer the Wii.

Our discussion is about quality of the line-up right? Don't infer that an objective measure of that is what consumers buy a lot, ESPECIALLY on the Wii.

Pureauthor said:
Well, every single month we can see that millions more leave the sidelines and enter the Wii/X360/handheld camp instead. And statistically speaking it is very unlikely for people to own more than one console. So every month until the fabled pricedrop is a loss for Sony.

Sony has seen a gain, year over year, and an electronics manufacturer knows full well the effects of price, competition, and the market. Are you telling me people are not waiting for a $300 PS3 to enjoy the entire generation of exclusives? Are you telling me sales won't increase with a price drop?

Pureauthor said:
'Best selling Blu-Ray player' is hardly something to be proud of. Especially when the 'best-selling Blu-Ray player' doesn't even managed 800K during December.

HURR HURR DURRRR good one.

Pureauthor said:
That's great. This, however, is a Sales-Age thread.

Discussing the viability of the highest priced, subjectively better gaming machine of the generation. This case has never been seen before, and many are ignorant enough to see it all in black and white. It's not doom and gloom for the ast place console, like in past generations.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
And who in blazes is Hyrb?

I think he was calling you a 360 fanboy, referring to 360 PR guy MajorNelson, whose real name is Larry Hryb (not Hyrb, note).

... which is funny, because you don't own a 360 and you don't seem to like consoles all that much, really.

Nocebo

Bulla564 said:
Better line-up, cheaper price, higher blu-ray adoption, profitable 3rd party games, KILLZONE 2, all this awaits the PS3 in 2009 and beyond...

It's not like the GC AT ALL...
I hear this "Killzone 2" thing get thrown around a lot. What is it exactly? Is it a peripheral that somehow turns the ps3 into a wii?

Jaruru

open_mouth_ said:
So are these reasonable estimates (using historical data, extrapolation, and logic) for the end of 2011 for the three systems...?

Wii = 100 million+
360 = 55 million+
PS3 = 40 million+

If so, then I'd say that's the biggest generation of all time and all three systems would have made some money and provided nice entertainment for their owners.

would have made some money? maybe not the Sony PS3. the day to break even their production cost is foreseeable. but definitely not if they minus the loss from making the PS3 from their 'profit from the future'

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:
It's not just about exclusive DLC, it's about big franchises, that's why Microsoft often was paying for exclusive advertising of 3rd party games when it felt it would be good to inform people of their presence. You can ignore it all you want, but first games people play on their HD consoles are Call of Duty or Guitar Hero, not Resistance or Gears of War.

That's not something I'm ignoring at all, it's totally true..both platform holders engage in this activity ('exclusive marketing').

Also, side note, but..360's lead upon PS3's release was only 6m? I thought it was something like 8-10m? Or was I giving MS's numbers too much credit at the time?

What was its lead at year's end last year?

Stumpokapow said:
I think he was calling you a 360 fanboy, referring to 360 PR guy MajorNelson, whose real name is Larry Hryb (not Hyrb, note).

... which is funny, because you don't own a 360 and you don't seem to like consoles all that much, really.

I put up with consoles if they have sufficient games I want. :p

Balb

Nocebo said:
I hear this "Killzone 2" thing get thrown around a lot. What is it exactly? Is it a peripheral that somehow turns the ps3 into a wii?

It's the game Sony refuses to market correctly.

Bulla564 said:
Are you telling me people are not waiting for a $300 PS3 to enjoy the entire generation of exclusives?
Of course there are, but as time goes by they'll lose more and more people who get tired of waiting and decide to grab one of the competition's consoles. People aren't indefinitely patient or loyal.

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
Also, side note, but..360's lead upon PS3's release was only 6m? I thought it was something like 8-10m? Or was I giving MS's numbers too much credit at the time?

What was its lead at year's end last year?
They had shipped 10.4M consoles until January 1st, 2007. However, keep in mind that it's a shipped number, PS3 launched around 10th November 2006 (with 1.1M 360s sold in December 2006) and 360 was likely significantly overstocked as they shipped only 1.2M units in the next six months IIRC. So the actual lead was likely less than 8M consoles.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

While I do feel like the hype for the game is reaching epic proportions, and it will ultimately not live up to the hype for this reason alone, it will still be a FUCK AWESOME game, and you shouldn't choose to not enjoy the game just because lots of people believe it will save the PS3 or anything like that.

The smart ones understand that the PS3 is, and will always be in third place, and are extremely content enjoying the flow of content that is coming to the system in 2009 and beyond (no list here, lol). Just enjoy KZ2, don't let the hyper-s push you away from the game (That's a first though, overhyping pushing people away xD)

WretchedTruman said:
:lol People are insanely excited for the game, grow up and deal with it.

And you picked the right word. We'll see if the sales numbers back up the hype. As I've said before I don't come down on either side of the Killzone 2 argument other than to agree Killzone fans on gaf are pretty annoying.

Bulla564 said:
Our discussion is about quality of the line-up right? Don't infer that an objective measure of that is what consumers buy a lot, ESPECIALLY on the Wii.

No, it's not. It's about the selling power of the games and how likely they are to affect the system's fortunes.

Sony has seen a gain, year over year, and an electronics manufacturer knows full well the effects of price, competition, and the market. Are you telling me people are not waiting for a $300 PS3 to enjoy the entire generation of exclusives? Are you telling me sales won't increase with a price drop?

A 38% increase, translating to an overall increase of approx. 1 million units, is a pathetic gain for almost any console YoY. Especially when you consider the late 2007 pricedrop, which did create a boost in PS3 prices. Until that boost faded, of course, whereupon it started selling worse than the same month of the previous year.

And yes, I am telling you that people are not going to wait for an (insert price here) (insert losing game system) so they can enjoy (insert list of exclusive games here). No generation before worked like that, and there is no call to assume that this generation will.

HURR HURR DURRRR good one.

I take it you cannot refute this point.

Discussing the viability of the highest priced, subjectively better gaming machine of the generation. This case has never been seen before, and many are ignorant enough to see it all in black and white. It's not doom and gloom for the ast place console, like in past generations.

Being 'last place' does not consign you to doom and gloom.

Having crappy hardware sales, middling software sales, and a massively negative perception most certainly does though. The PS3 happens to fit that criteria.

Deku

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
And you picked the right word. We'll see if the sales numbers back up the hype. As I've said before I don't come down on either side of the Killzone 2 argument other than to agree Killzone fans on gaf are pretty annoying.

It won't.

As an aside, I'd comment this sort of far-right divide and conquer style slicing and dicing posters as Sales-Agers who care only about sales, and 'Gamers' who apparently are unrestrained by mere logic and can spew whatever garbage theory they can without having to back any of it up, reflects the steady decline in sanity among some posters here.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Bulla564 said:
j959h0.jpg

It's not like the GC AT ALL...

So this is...the year of PS3?

Bulla564

Banned
Nocebo said:

God forbid...

Of course there are, but as time goes by they'll lose more and more people who get tired of waiting and decide to grab one of the competition's consoles. People aren't indefinitely patient or loyal.

My argument is that PS3's perception of value will increase even more throughout 2009. Unless there is a proportionate price cut for the Wii and X360, the line-up of the PS3 will continue to look better than the competition, and a lower price-point will help it also.

freddy

Banned
WretchedTruman said:
:lol People are insanely excited for the game, grow up and deal with it.
It looks like really good game but I'd rather the 25 mb gifs not infest threads that aren't really relevant to it at the moment.

Deku

Banned
Bulla564 said:
My argument is that PS3's perception of value will increase even more throughout 2009. Unless there is a proportionate price cut for the Wii and X360, the line-up of the PS3 will continue to look better than the competition, and a lower price-point will help it also.

Fantasy console league.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:
They had shipped 10.4M consoles until January 1st, 2007. However, keep in mind that it's a shipped number, PS3 launched around 10th November 2006 (with 1.1M 360s sold in December 2006) and 360 was likely significantly overstocked as they shipped only 1.2M units in the next six months IIRC. So the actual lead was likely less than 8M consoles.

OK, I'm beginning to recall that now..

Do we know where things stood this time last year? What the gap was?

Bulla564 said:

And I always ask when has the "value" of a console based on a hardware feature set ever mattered in consoles.

Bulla564 said:

That's a big unless, and relying on subjectives like a line-up "looking better" especially in comparing the 360 and PS3 is tenuous at best.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Bulla564 said:

Dare I ask... What lineup?? there is a hyped sequel to a disappointing PS2 FPS, and sequels to genres the PS3 is flooded with right now.

Or are people really expecting that FF XIII, GoW 3, FF XIII vs (I don't think this will do well in the US...) and GT5 (now, this is a real system seller, sadly the game will come out too late) to get 2009 releases??

I mean, of those games, the only one I see moving consoles is GT5 and the creator nearly confirmed that it won't see a 2009 release in one of his interviews...

Pureauthor said:
DS. System of the generation, handheld of the forever! BOOYAH

Balb

Pureauthor said:
DS. System of the generation, handheld of the forever! BOOYAH

I think it's pretty close to the GBA. It's a combination of a SNES with its own line of awesome games. Though, if you consider the fact that the DS can play GBA games, it's a powerhouse.

Johann

Bulla564 said:
God forbid...

By any chance, are you the guy from Gamefaqs who said you were 12 (below GFAQs' 13 requirement) and got banned in an absolutely hilarious fashion?

Bulla564

Banned
Pureauthor said:
No, it's not. It's about the selling power of the games and how likely they are to affect the system's fortunes.

It IS about the quality of the line-up, and in the PS3's case, since there is no Wii Sports or Gears, it's about the entire line-up. In quality and blockbusters, my money is on the PS3 for this year, as for announced games so far. The overall line-up has kept this $400 console afloat, and will continue to improve its sales.

Pureauthor said:
A 38% increase, translating to an overall increase of approx. 1 million units, is a pathetic gain for almost any console YoY.

Which means despite the price, people are not all flocking to the Wii/X360. Thanks for providing the actual number for PS3's growth YoY.

Pureauthor said:
And yes, I am telling you that people are not going to wait for an (insert price here) (insert losing game system) so they can enjoy (insert list of exclusive games here). No generation before worked like that, and there is no call to assume that this generation will.

As far as I know till recently a shit ton of people jumped in and bought a PS2... how do you explain that? did they wait for a (insert price here) to get a (insert GREAT game system) so they can enjoy (insert list of exclusive games here)??? No?

Pureauthor said:
I take it you cannot refute this point.

By all means, if you have a good reference point of how much the "best blu-ray player" should be selling at this point in the format's lifetime, indulge us. Until then, your snarky mockery over 800k comes off as idiotic.

Pureauthor said:
Being 'last place' does not consign you to doom and gloom.

Welcome to GAF.

Pureauthor said:
Having crappy hardware sales, middling software sales, and a massively negative perception most certainly does though. The PS3 happens to fit that criteria.

You mean a dwindling negative perception (completely related to price vs the competition), a reliable source of income for 3rd parties, and a better outlook for 2009... sorry kido... we are not in 2006.

Stoney Mason said:
And I always ask when has the "value" of a console based on a hardware feature set ever mattered in consoles.

When a DVD player was included in the PS2.

Esch

Banned
Well, it's time to start getting it together Sony.

An NA KZ2 bundle would probably be a better idea than the rest of their bundled stuff on the market.

Top Bottom