• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Basileus777 said:
This trend makes the death of splitscreen gaming on HD consoles even more egregious. There is still a huge market for local multiplayer, no multiplayer game should be released without it.

Like all of us were crowed around our 30" or < TVs playing GoldenEye and getting 9 FPS with all the explosions. Or multi-player/co-op Twisted Metal was the shiznit.

Arde5643

amtentori said:
Top 10 Wii Games

1. WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
5. WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK* NINTENDO OF AMERICA
6. WII WII MUSIC NINTENDO OF AMERICA
7. WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING NINTENDO OF AMERICA ??
8. WII CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
9. WII SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING: ROAD TRIP UBISOFT
10. WII NERF N STRIKE ELECTRONIC ARTS

nice....

cod waw on wii is decent... even online is pretty fun... it just sucks that they removed features like local multi
They removed the zombie minigame and regular CTF mode though which really sucks as that would've added longevity for the MP portion.

Weisheit

Balb said:
Top 10 PSP Games

1. PSP MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
2. PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
3. PSP LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
4. PSP MIDNIGHT CLUB: LA REMIX TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
5. PSP STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS
6. PSP IRON MAN SEGA OF AMERICA
7. PSP NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. PSP NBA LIVE 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE

Wow...that's just...
Handheld gaming ghetto.:lol

markatisu

Balb said:
Top 10 PSP Games

1. PSP MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
2. PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
3. PSP LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
4. PSP MIDNIGHT CLUB: LA REMIX TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
5. PSP STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS
6. PSP IRON MAN SEGA OF AMERICA
7. PSP NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. PSP NBA LIVE 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE

Wow...that's just...

Wow, no Crisis Core, no Chains of Olympus, those are the games that actually charted in NPD Overall Top 10 earlier this year.

Arde5643

John Dunbar said:
Call of Duty. :p
Hardcore'st of the hardcore games, thus proving that PS3 is a perfect stable for hardcore games since the hardcore base can exclusively sustain the hardcore base.

Hardcore'r and more hardcore'st and all.

Tom Penny

I just figured out why the PS3 isn't selling. Sony's not worried

"The PS3 is still in its early adopter phase, tech-oriented consumer... they're interested in the multi-functionality of the system."

Arde5643 said:
You're confusing game quality with budget. Budget != quality.

PoP costs a lot to make due to several reasons - most likely because of (from the most expensive to the least):
1) Team of artists for the beautiful graphics
2) Marketing expenditure
3) Time spent developing the game

I'll agree with you on the first two, but I don't think there was much time spent developing the game. The game required almost no new programming after the first level was done.

CrisKre

It is kind of ironic how wii trolls can simultaneously comment on how third party games dont sell on wii and in the same breath utter there is no significant amount of games that interests them on wii from third parties.

One leads to another. Third party companies are taking a LONG time to release games with even decent level of effort put into them content wise and marketing wise. And titles in the system ARE selling IN SPITE of this fact. It doesnt seem far fetched to assume that once those titles with more support and resources put behind them do emerge they will sell.

2009 seems like a change of the tides in that direction.

Balb

CrisKre said:
It is kind of ironic how wii trolls can simultaneously comment on how third party games dont sell on wii and in the same breath utter there is no significant amount of games that interests them on wii from third parties.

One leads to another. Third party companies are taking a LONG time to release games with even decent level of effort put into them content wise and marketing wise. And titles in the system ARE selling IN SPITE of this fact. It doesnt seem far fetched to assume that once those titles with more support and resources put behind them do emerge they will sell.

Let's hope so.

Opiate said:
4) Only 1 PS3 game in the top 20, and 2 games for the Playstation "family." I agree with GoFreak that this is still better software sales than, say, June, but that's not really the metric Christmas sales go by. It would be a bit like saying Christmas sales are up 40% over August sales: while that is technically an increase, realistically that's a much smaller increase than one would expect for a Holiday month and should be considered very disappointing.
Surely this doesn't mean anything like you say, at least for PS3. A "top sales" chart is always going to be biased extremely strongly toward the highest installed base. A Wii or 360 title only has to appeal to half as many potential consumers as a PS3 title in order to beat it in the charts (since PS3 has less than half the installed base of either competitor). The only reasonable expectation is for zero PS3 titles to appear in any given month, unless

a) There aren't many big releases on other platforms that month; since video games are extremely front-loaded a first-month PS3 title might best a slate of older games on other platforms;
or
b) The PS3 title is a top-of-the-industry smash (COD, GTA, etc.)

Furthermore, we know how much PS3 software sales increased. According to their November PR, they did 3.5m units. According to their December PR, they did "almost six million"; let's assume a reasonable 5.8m units figure. So we're not talking +40% compared to August, but +66% compared to November. That's certainly not world-beating, but it's not nearly as gloomy as you seem to imply.

All this applies to the PS3 only. I agree that with the PSP's installed base, it should be seeing higher results.

Opiate

gofreak said:
I mean..360+PS3+PC...the spread of platforms one can put 'HD' games on.

Not quite as respectable as my misreading of that chart suggested :)lol), but still, I would say - particularly overall globally - respectable enough to hold publisher's attentions. Particularly as port-costs decrease and relative market share might increase (as PS3's did in 08..at the end of 07 360 had about twice the userbase PS3 had..? By now it's proportionately not nearly so much bigger..about 40% of the HD machines out there now are PS3s..360 has about a 40% lead in userbase vs perhaps 100% or more 12 months earlier*).

* I can't remember exactly where the two stood at the end of 07, but I vaguely recall 360 userbase was about twice PS3's then?

Gofreak is correct. Let's use an extreme example that makes the argument clear. Let's imagine the gap of 6 million users remains exactly constant.

If the PS3 has a 2 million install base and the 360 has an 8 million install base, then the market split is 20/80 in favor of the 360.

If the PS3 has a 96 million install base and the 360 has a 104 million install base, then the market split is 48/52 in favor of the 360.

In both cases, the absolute disparity between the install bases remain the same, but the market share narrows dramatically, to the point where there is effectively no difference between the two once numbers get large.

This is why, in a way, maintaining a consistent gap between the PS3 and 360 is a good thing for Sony. Of course, in a way, it's also bad, but the reasons why it's bad have been covered ad nauseum. I'm only trying to emphasize what Gofreak is saying. If the PS3 continues to increase its "HD End" market share, it makes it increasingly likely that games will remain multiplatform, not less likely, as Microsoft recently claimed.

Balb

Liabe Brave said:
Surely this doesn't mean anything like you say, at least for PS3. A "top sales" chart is always going to be biased extremely strongly toward the highest installed base. A Wii or 360 title only has to appeal to half as many potential consumers as a PS3 title in order to beat it in the charts (since PS3 has less than half the installed base of either competitor). The only reasonable expectation is for zero PS3 titles to appear in any given month, unless

a) There aren't many big releases on other platforms that month; since video games are extremely front-loaded a first-month PS3 title might best a slate of older games on other platforms;
or

Furthermore, we know how much PS3 software sales increased. According to their November PR, they did 3.5m units. According to their December PR, they did "almost six million"; let's assume a reasonable 5.8m units figure. So we're not talking +40% compared to August, but +66% compared to November. That's certainly not world-beating, but it's not nearly as gloomy as you seem to imply.

All this applies to the PS3 only. I agree that with the PSP's installed base, it should be seeing higher results.

Great post.

CrisKre

also in terms of the wii top ten for the month:

Top 20 Games of December 2008

1. WII PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
3. WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. MARIO KART WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
5. GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* WII ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6. GEARS OF WAR 2* 360 MICROSOFT
7. LEFT 4 DEAD 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. MARIO KART NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
9. CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
10. ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
11. WII MUSIC WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
12. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
13. PERSONAL TRAINER: COOKING NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
14. FALLOUT 3* 360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
15. CLUB PENGUIN: ELITE PENGUIN FORCE NDS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
16. LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
17. GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* PS2 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
18. MADDEN NFL 09* 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS
19. CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR WII ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
20. SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING: ROAD TRIP WII UBISOFT

Top 10 Wii Games

7. WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING NINTENDO OF AMERICA

given that we know wii music sold around 480 k and Rock Band 2 sold around 150k for the month, 7, 8, 9 and 10 on that list sold between at least 151k and up to 480k

Not to shabby for those 3rd party titles.

Opiate

Liabe Brave said:

or

That 40% wasn't intended to represent a legitimate guess at Sony's holiday increase, it was only intended to clarify the point. I thought that was made clear by using the phrase "for example," but if you suspected I was implying that 40% might actually be the August to December increase, I wasn't. It genuinely was a simple example for the purpose of clarity.

As to your main point: first, this is essentially a "relative to install base" argument, where one says that the PS3 sold software reasonably well considering its low install base. I'm not a fan of this argument, particularly because it creates a situation where one hand washes the other: we excuse the game sales because the install base isn't large enough, and we excuse the install base size because publishers aren't focusing on putting out more games on the platform. Furthermore, this argument could theoretically lead one to argue that selling 1 copy of a game to an install base of 3 people is a solid ROI, when it obviously wouldn't be, by modern publisher standards. Second, didn't Donny recently note that good Xbox / Gamecube decembers were ~10 million in software? So even by these low standards, this wasn't a good month for PS3 software. Or PSP software, as you noted.

Leon S. Kennedy said:
I'll agree with you on the first two, but I don't think there was much time spent developing the game. The game required almost no new programming after the first level was done.
PoP marketing still probably cost about half the entire development budget for Red Steel.:lol

szaromir

Banned
CrisKre said:
Not to shabby for those 3rd party titles.
Wii sold the most 3rd party games in December (in November too), though possibly not the most in total revenues. Of course these numbers aren't shabby.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
szaromir said:
Wii sold the most 3rd party games in December (in November too), though possibly not the most in total revenues. Of course these numbers aren't shabby.

But see, now it doesn't count because Wii has so many third party games.

Chumly

Spiegel said:
December:

Psp sold 3.7+ million software units
PS3 sold almost 6 million software units

Is this old?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-confident-following-40-per-cent-rise-in-ps3-sales
Holy crap that is bad. The PSP figure is just outright embarrassing and the PS3 figure isnt much better. From what donny said the PS3 cant even manage XBOX/GC software numbers it seems.

Also the top 10 software for Wii combined outsold every single game on the PS3 combined in december :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Sony should be thankful that 360 games sell so well while being so costly, otherwise they'd be in real trouble.

Ding

A tiny aside: Crackdown is not cel-shaded. It has a cartoony color palette, hand drawn (rather than photo-realistic) textures, and most objects have a thin black outline. No actual toon shading, however. (They were going for a "graphic novel" look.)

Please continue arguing.

Narcosis

Interesting, I was under the impression based on this chart:

p35.gif

that all 3 of the home consoles were selling pretty healthy 3rd party software numbers relative to install base.

I would agree that PSP software seems abysmal by all available information

Kifimbo

About Nerf N-Strike and shovelware: how many of you actually played the game ? I haven't, but the game was done by EA (we are not talking about Crave or Zoo Games here) and the two reviews I can find (IGN and GameDaily) actually gave the game a decent score (7.0 and 7.1).

Link

The Autumn Wind
I played N-Strike with my cousins and it's actually pretty fun. The real value, though, is the fact that you can also use it as a regular Nerf gun, or for other light gun games.

Arde5643

Kifimbo said:
About Nerf N-Strike and shovelware: how many of you actually played the game ? I haven't, but the game was done by EA (we are not talking about Crave or Zoo Games here) and the two reviews I can find (IGN and GameDaily) actually gave the game a decent score (7.0 and 7.1).
I think most of us see the games as we view WiiFit or WiiPlay, unless you have someone* who want to play it or like this type of games, we generally dismiss them.

*Someone can be friends, girlfriends, kids, grandpa/mas who's into Wii.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ding said:
A tiny aside: Crackdown is not cel-shaded. It has a cartoony color palette, hand drawn (rather than photo-realistic) textures, and most objects have a thin black outline. No actual toon shading, however. (They were going for a "graphic novel" look.)

Please continue arguing.

Well if you're going to cite Wikipedia, you should check to see if Crackdown is listed on its list of cel-shaded games.
It is.

Zihark

CrisKre said:

Most of them don't actually want devs ''wasting'' resources on wii games. Basically more paranoia from the hardly core.

szaromir

Banned
Arde5643 said:
You're confusing game quality with budget. Budget != quality.

PoP costs a lot to make due to several reasons - most likely because of (from the most expensive to the least):
1) Team of artists for the beautiful graphics
2) Marketing expenditure
3) Time spent developing the game
IIRC from the article revealing the game, a rather small team was working on preproduction for two years and 120-150 people worked on the actual production for the past twelve months. Still, that must have been a huge budget.

Bastion

What type of gamer is buying PS3's? Obviously the Wii has the mainstream and the 360 has the hardcore.

This is why 360 games and Wii games sell so well. But what about the PS3? It has to be mainstream people that buy two games a year--Madden and Call of Duty. Any other guesses?

I have all three systems and the PS3 is by far the best maching(quality wise).

Sony really looked past the importance of launching first--you get the hardcore gamers and the developers supporting your system.

Arde5643

Ding said:

Please continue arguing.

Adumaha said:
Well if you're going to cite Wikipedia, you should check to see if Crackdown is listed on its list of cel-shaded games.
It is.

oh_snap_flowchart_sm.jpg

Snap!

giuliu

Banned
Narcosis said:
Interesting, I was under the impression based on this chart:

p35.gif

that all 3 of the home consoles were selling pretty healthy 3rd party software numbers relative to install base.

I would agree that PSP software seems abysmal by all available information

That's not really healthy for the wii at all when they're comparing to the 360's number from a year ago.

The wii install base today almost doubles the 360's base from a year ago. Yet the 3rd party software sales is only slightly above. If you read MS's pr, they claim that the total 3rd party sotware sales this generation in the US for the 360 is more than those of the wii and ps3 combined.

Not sure if there is any truth to that.

Arde5643

giuliu said:
That's not really healthy for the wii at all when they're comparing to the 360's number from a year ago.

The wii install base today almost doubles the 360's base from a year ago. Yet the 3rd party software sales is only slightly above. If you read MS's pr, they claim that the total 3rd party sotware sales this generation in the US for the 360 is more than those of the wii and ps3 combined.

360 has been using revenue in their current PR releases though while Ninty uses units sold.

Bulla564 said:
Hey look... industry experts agree with everything I have said in this thread. Can't wait for the next round of doom and gloomers.
Yes, obviously industry experts have been right all along about the gaming industry, credit card/banks and loans businesses, as well as other financial institutions.

Because they were so right in their analysis, obviously none of the industries I mentioned are having any problems at all right now, none whatsoever.

giuliu said:

That's still besides the point.

The chart aims to show that despite the Nintendo titles taking 40% of the software buying install base, third parties still sell better in thier ecosystem as a whole just by sheer size of userbase alone.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
giuliu said:

But you got to realize that what's in the past is done and you don't get revenue from old sales. Xbox 360 may have sold more third party software combined so far, but that doesn't change the fact that Wii sold more third party software the past two months.

While past software sales make for good PR about tie ratios, what's more important is where they can sell the most in the future. And considering the rapid growth of Wii's userbase and 20/30 of the top games being on Nintendo systems in December, I'd say there is a good chance Wii will be a lot more attractive to third parties.

Or they might just say it's for girls, whatever.

farnham

Banned
Was Nstrike ever reviewed by any hardcore gaming site.. like at all..

i mean its like one of the best selling EA games and yet nobody ever saw it..? :lol :lol

szaromir

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Because they were so right in their analysis, obviously none of the industries I mentioned are having any problems at all right now, none whatsoever.
Not to mention how many times specifically the analysts from that article already made statements predicted Wii slowdown, PS3 outpacing 360 etc. only to repeat the same stuff some time later with added "this time it for realz". These peole might have huge knowledge regaring various companies' condition and assets, but they proved once and once again that they do not understand general market and reasons driving console sales.

Link

The Autumn Wind
John Dunbar said:
But you got to realize that what's in the past is done and you don't get revenue from old sales. Xbox 360 may have sold more third party software combined so far, but that doesn't change the fact that Wii sold more third party software the past two months.

While past software sales make for good PR about tie ratios, what's more important is where they can sell the most in the future. And considering the rapid growth of Wii's userbase and 20/30 of the top games being on Nintendo systems in December, I'd say there is a good chance Wii will be a lot more attractive to third parties.
That's very sound logic. However...

Or they might just say it's for girls, whatever.
This.

7. WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING NINTENDO OF AMERICA

Nearly half of these games are third party. And most are of quality as well. It really does seem that third parties are learning.

RSTEIN said:
Only one PS3 game in the top 20????

:O

Wow...just wow.

Evlar said:
Valkyria Chronicles vanished without a ripple. Shame.

Well what do you expect? It's a niche game. Hell Persona 4 didn't break the top 10 it's debut month on the PS2 list. Nothing has changed about niche games on current gen tech consoles, just the cost to make them.

Top 10 PlayStation 2 Games

1. PS2 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
3. PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS RE: CHAIN OF MEMORIES SQUARE ENIX INC
4. PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
5. PS2 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
6. PS2 ACTION/ADVENTURE BUNDLE MULTIPLE VIDEO GAME MANUFACTURER
7. PS2 SONIC UNLEASHED SEGA OF AMERICA
8. PS2 LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
9. PS2 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR FINAL FRONTS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
10. PS2 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

I mean I know the game is niche and all but I really don't like the fact that Guitar Hero: Aerosmith outsold Persona 4.

Jag22 said:
I don't see how someone can look at this and say "the Wii audience doesn't want mini-game compilations". Because they obviously do.

I think what most people are trying to get across is that Wii owners want more then mini-games.

Relaxed Muscle said:
PS3 can't compare either with the GC or N64, there are many significative differences, the most notable one is the third party support is way better on PS3.

N64 = Strong First Party Support, Moderate Exclusive Support, Weak Third Party Support

PS3 = Strong Third Party Support, Weak Exclusive Support, Weak First Party Support

Top Bottom