• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
d+pad said:
Can I ask how old you are - and if you have a job (and if you live on your own)?

I love games/gaming and would own every console and handheld if I had the money and the time, but here's the catch: I'm an adult with a huge mortgage and many misc. bills to pay.

To say "it doesn't cost that much" to own 6 gaming systems (if you're including a gaming PC) as well as games for those systems is a complete joke if you aren't still living with your parents...

Yes, job + wife. You can build a gaming PC for pretty cheap although I didn't skimp myself.

edit: for my full thoughts/discussion on this ideal, it's all pretty well explicated here-- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218741

Opiate

Great new information. Some more observations:

1) Prince of Persia did indeed do very poorly. It likely still sold >200k across both platforms, but for Ubisoft's big budget holiday release, that's dramatically below expectations, I'm sure. They have no Assassin's Creed this year.

2) As a side note to the above point, have there been any succesful cel shaded games on the PS3/360 yet? I can't think of one, but I'd be interested to see if someone could find one.

3) Call of Duty Wii and Shaun White Snowboarding enter the top 20 in their second month. Wii games do indeed have legs, and it makes tracking the software sales much more difficult. Things are so much easier when the big games all show up in the top 10 in the first month and do ~50% of their LTD.

4) Only 1 PS3 game in the top 20, and 2 games for the Playstation "family." I agree with GoFreak that this is still better software sales than, say, June, but that's not really the metric Christmas sales go by. It would be a bit like saying Christmas sales are up 40% over August sales: while that is technically an increase, realistically that's a much smaller increase than one would expect for a Holiday month and should be considered very disappointing.

5) Using the top 20 and the information provided by Nintendo's PR, we can deduce that 7 of the 10 games in the 21-30 bracket are on the Wii and DS.

Raw64life

For those who missed it, everything not posted in the OP so far...

December 08:

WII ROCK BAND 2: ~150K
WII WII MUSIC: ~485K

-----

Rough LTDs:

NDS MARIO KART DS: ~4.3 million

WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR: ~1.5 million
WII WII MUSIC: ~865K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR: ~1.1 million

360 LEFT 4 DEAD: ~1.0 million

-----

Hardware LTD:

NDS: ~27.5 million
Wii: ~17.5 million
PSP: ~14.3 million
360: ~13.8 million
PS3: ~6.8 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 23 months in the top 10 and counting:

February 07 - 371K
March 07 - 273K
April 07 - 249K
May 07 - 227K
June 07 - 293K
July 07 - 278K
August 07 - 257K
September 07 - 282K
October 07 - 240K
November 07 - 564K
December 07 - 1.1 million
January 08 - 298K
February 08 - 290K
March 08 - 410K
April 08 - 360K
May 08 - 295K
June 08 - 295K
July 08 - 285K
August 08 - 200K
September 08 - 245K
October 08 - 280K
November 08 - 795K
December 08 - 1.45 million

LTD: ~9.4 million

donny2112

Opiate said:
I agree. I think it's absurd to suggest that the mini-game genre isn't popular on the Wii. Clearly there is a market there. I'm not entirely sure why some people fight so hard to insist it isn't the case.

I, personally, have never read a post where someone claimed that mini-game type compilations don't sell on the Wii. Unless I'm just totally missing these posts, this would be an example of a strawman argument.

Now what I have read is that Wii owners want more than just mini-game compilations. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming in.

FrankT

titiklabingapat said:
I can't believe you even have to ask.

Long Answer: YEsssssssssssssssssssss

Short Answer: Yes.

I'm not so sure about that, but that is only because of the economic conditions. If they had 4 million could they have sold them all, maybe, maybe not. Even NPD went on to say earlier this week if it were not for the recession gaming would have had a much better holiday season no doubt it. That is really the only variable I can reasonably think of however.

John Dunbar said:
There's 13 games on Nintendo platforms in the top 20 and only one PS3 game. If Nintendo's PR is true and there was 20 games on Nintendo systems in the top 30, things are looking pretty gloomy for Sony. 7 games from 21-30 have to be on Nintendo platforms. ruh-roh.

Tis not good. Not good at all, and especially so with the decline of the PS2 as a fallback either.

Branduil

Opiate said:
2) As a side note to the above point, have there been any succesful cel shaded games on the PS3/360 yet? I can't think of one, but I'd be interested to see if someone could find one.
Tales of Vesperia? Eternal Sonata?

Jtyettis said:
Is this the general consensus? They could have pushed 4 million of them if they had them? Or are there any other theories out there?
No, that's pretty much what would have happened. December's numbers are generally twice November's.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good/great sales all around, at least in my opinion! :) And especially amazing that the DS sold over 3 million units in one month! The biggest suprise for me about these numbers is how Left 4 Dead sold. It is great to see that this game increased in sales compared to how it did in November! :)

Raw64life said:
For those who missed it, everything not posted in the OP so far...
I was about to ask about this, thanks! :)

Opiate

donny2112 said:
I, personally, have never read a post where someone claimed that mini-game type compilations don't sell on the Wii. Unless I'm just totally missing these posts, this would be an example of a strawman argument.

Now what I have read is that Wii owners want more than just mini-game compilations. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming in.

I'm not sure I've seen it said in exactly such words, either, but I have seen it implied. For example, people chide Ubisoft for their constant minigame compilations, and consistently point out how poorly they've sold.

A reasonable person can point out that the general attempt by Ubisoft is not a stupid one: these types of games sell on the Wii, and thus they're trying to make more. Furthermore, while Ubisoft's games in particular haven't been extremely succesful on the Wii, they HAVE been on the DS, with their string of Imagine and Training games equaling nearly 2/5 of all their revenue last quarter, doubling any other platform.

Now, if the objection is purely to the quality of these minigame compilations, that is an understandable complaint. That isn't what I've inferred, however.

Edit: And as I said in another post, Donny, I absolutely agree that games other than minigame compilations are warranted. Arguing that minigame compilations have their place does not automatically imply that other games do not have a place. I'm sure some disingenuous people may try to imply as such, but I'd hope you would assume I'm beyond such pettiness. I certainly expect as much from your posts at this point.

FrankT

I doubt we would have seen a second Naruto on 360 by Ubisoft Montreal if the first wasn't semi-successful for them.

Well with Shaun White Wii at 150k+ that sets a nice floorboard for the top 20. Fallout 3 (360) likely close to 1 million in the US now. Does anyone know where Oblivion (360) ended up around in the US?

I wish we could full top 20 numbers this month.

soldat7

Opiate said:
As a side note to the above point, have there been any succesful cel shaded games on the PS3/360 yet? I can't think of one, but I'd be interested to see if someone could find one.

Crackdown on 360

Grecco

Opiate said:

1) Prince of Persia did indeed do very poorly. It likely still sold >200k across both platforms, but for Ubisoft's big budget holiday release, that's dramatically below expectations, I'm sure. They have no Assassin's Creed this year.

they have "I AM ALIVE" this year. A First Person Disaster Survival Game. Which will probably be as successful as Mirrors Edge. (And I love ME :( )

Evlar

Banned
I think the recession is biting into hardware sales but this fact is partially obscured. DS broke the PS2 record for that reason. Wii was hard up against its NA quota as usual, so it's hard to diagnose. 360 did very well but (as far as I know) we don't have a breakdown of sales amongst the SKUs to see if the bulk of sales were at the $199 or $299 price points. Does anyone have a hint of the performance of the 360 Arcade? PS3 is an obvious victim.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Opiate said:

Didn't Crackdown do okay?

Then again, the Halo demo might have had something to do with it.

markatisu

Jtyettis said:
Well with Shaun White Wii at 103 that sets a nice floorboard for the top 20. Fallout 3 (360) likely close to 1 million in the US now.

The 103k for Shaun White Wii was Nov numbers not Dec, in Dec it was higher than the 150k of RB2

Opiate

Grecco said:
they have "I AM ALIVE" this year. A First Person Disaster Survival Game. Which will probably be as successful as Mirrors Edge. (And I love ME :( )

Sorry for the confusion: by "this year" I technically meant "last year," as in 08. Which is to say, Ubisoft had Assassin's Creed for the Holidays in 07, which we know went on to sell more than 6 Million combined at last count. For the Holidays of 08, they may have no game that sells even 1 million combined, and that's quite a steep drop off.

Next year absolutely could be different, I'm not suggesting Ubisoft is in trouble. They are, in fact, one of the most robustly situation western third parties right now. I'm just saying they were relatively unusuccesful in this holiday in particular.

Opiate said:

5) Using the top 20 and the information provided by Nintendo's PR, we can deduce that 7 of the 10 games in the 21-30 bracket are on the Wii and DS.

In which part of the PR? Can you link the source, please?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Opiate said:
I'm not sure I've seen it said in exactly such words, either, but I have seen it implied. For example, people chide Ubisoft for their constant minigame compilations, and consistently point out how poorly they've sold.

A reasonable person can point out that the general attempt by Ubisoft is not a stupid one: these types of games sell on the Wii, and thus they're trying to make more. Furthermore, while Ubisoft's games in particular haven't been extremely succesful on the Wii, they HAVE been on the DS, with their string of Imagine and Training games equaling nearly 2/5 of all their revenue last quarter, doubling any other platform.

Now, if the objection is purely to the quality of these minigame compilations, that is an understandable complaint. That isn't what I've inferred, however.

Edit: And as I said in another post, Donny, I absolutely agree that games other than minigame compilations are warranted. Arguing that minigame compilations have their place does not automatically imply that other games do not have a place. I'm sure some disingenuous people may try to imply as such, but I'd hope you would assume I'm beyond such pettiness. I certainly expect as much from your posts at this point.
well, a large issue i see with the spamming of minigame compilations is that those types of games are typically bought at different rates than other games, as in one minigame fest will last someone dozens of months and still remain fresh, so while these types of games do have a place, they typically have a much smaller place (per gamer capita) than other types of games and therefore is much more prone to oversaturation. this is the primary problem with the idea that all Wii gamers want is minigames and the like. the market oversaturates stupendously and the law of shrinking return goes into full effect. this is why there's only one Mario Party game this generation. this market is already oversaturated. best go to pastures upstream.

FrankT

It was a tough year for Ubi no question with Haze and PoP. 09 is likely to be better if they can get I Am Alive, Splinter Cell Conviction, GRAW and or/RS out. Although some of those are likely 2010.

Opiate

Jtyettis said:
Beyond a success indeed.

Yes, Crackdown was very succesful, was it not? Particularly in comparison to expectations. I had the sense that it was a mid-level game at best, released in the middle of the year, yet it far surpassed a million sales.

Is that correct? As someone who didn't follow the game personally, I'm hoping that someone with more intimate knowledge might fill in the details.

TJ Spyke

Pennywise83 said:

At the bottom, Nintendo says 20 of the top 30 games are Nintendo games (which I assume means Wii/Nintendo DS and not literally published by Nintendo).

The actual PR is somewhere in this thread.

Opitate, Crackdown was released in February 2007.

soldat7

Opiate said:
Yes, Crackdown was very succesful, was it not? Particularly in comparison to expectations. I had the sense that it was a mid-level game at best, released in the middle of the year, yet it far surpassed a million sales.

Is that correct? As someone who didn't follow the game personally, I'm hoping that someone with more intimate knowledge might fill in the details.

I don't have intimate knowledge, but I think it sold around 1.5 million. Clearly, the Halo 3 demo helped but Crackdown became a classic on its own. It is a very well-loved game, especially on GAF.

Evlar

Banned
Pennywise83 said:
Nintendo PR said:
REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Before 2008, no video game system had ever been purchased by ten million Americans in a single year. But according to independent sales data released today by the NPD Group, the Wii™ console from Nintendo did just that, even during these economic times, with 2008 unit sales of 10.17 million. The Nintendo DS™ portable handheld system came in a close second, with 2008 unit sales of 9.95 million. Each of them broke the previous yearly unit sales record set in 2007 by Nintendo DS with sales of 8.52 million.

Consequently, Wii represented 55% of all next generation home console sales in 2008, while Nintendo DS claimed 72% of all portable system sales in 2008.

“Our type of entertainment has now moved to the point where there is no longer a question that if you offer consumers an expanded definition of what a video game can be, and deliver that idea with quality and affordability in mind, millions of new people will start playing video games,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Concepts like Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band never would have seemed feasible just a few years ago, and now they’re driving growth for our the entire industry.”

NPD data released for December and all of 2008 also included the following:

* The industry’s top 4 selling games of 2008 were: Wii Play™ at No. 1, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 2, Wii Fit™ at No.3, and Super Smash Brothers™ Brawl, at No. 4.
* Industry annual revenues jumped 19% in 2008 over 2007, and Nintendo products were responsible for 99% of those additional retail dollars.
* Nintendo DS set another industry record for system sales in any month, with 3.04 million units sold in December.
* Wii broke its own monthly record, set in December 2007, by selling 2.14 million units last month.
* In December, Nintendo titles filled 20 of the top 30 spots on the best-seller list. Six games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10, including Wii Music™ for Wii (No. 9), which has now sold 865,000 units following its launch in October 2008, and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS (No. 7), which has sold a total of 4.3 million units 38 months after launch.
* Activision’s Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock and Guitar Hero® World Tour, and MTV Games/EA’s* Rock Band Special Edition Bundle all sold more units on Nintendo platforms than any other platforms in 2008.
* More 3rd party units were sold for Wii than any other home consoles in December for the 2nd consecutive month.
* For the year, more than 132 million games were sold in America for play on Nintendo systems.
That's the official PR, let me find a link.

EDIT: Here.

Yes Boss!

Jtyettis said:
It was a tough year for Ubi no question with Haze and PoP. 09 is likely to be better if they can get I Am Alive, Splinter Cell Conviction, GRAW and or/RS out. Although some of those are likely 2010.

I am craving a new GRAW. What happened to this franchise? Seems to have disappeared.

FrankT

Yes Boss! said:
I am craving a new GRAW. What happened to this franchise? Seems to have disappeared.

I think what happened was the burn out claims with the second one coming out just a year after the first. Ubi decided to take a refresh break IIRC. Personally I would like to go to back the the Ghost Recon days of the original Xbox. Oh I was so hooked to that with friends online. It's what hooked me into Live really.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Isn't it surprising that R2 sold seemingly much less than LBP this month? If I remember correctly it had much better first month? On the other hand, LBP being outsold by a MK game that's not even in the top 20 (which must have been outsold quite a bit by X360 version of the same game, which also is not in top 20), I wonder just how low those two games have sold.

Yes Boss!

Jtyettis said:
I think what happened was the burn out claims with the second one coming out just a year after the first. Ubi decided to take a refresh break IIRC.

True, second one was a relative letdown...but damn, I really would like a new one this spring. Even if it is re-jiggered. Loved the Co-op maps in them...the only game I used Live for.

Opiate

soldat7 said:
I don't have intimate knowledge, but I think it sold around 1.5 million. Clearly, the Halo 3 demo helped but Crackdown became a classic on its own. It is a very well-loved game, especially on GAF.

I think we can all agree that 1.5 million is sensational for a new IP released in February.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Opiate said:
Prince of Persia did indeed do very poorly. It likely still sold >200k across both platforms, but for Ubisoft's big budget holiday release, that's dramatically below expectations, I'm sure. They have no Assassin's Creed this year.
Don't worry about Ubisoft. Once they release some more female-driven games for the Wii, they'll be swimming in profits!

jibblypop

Banned
Luckyman said:
NERF N STRIKE

To all Wii developers out there. This is what they want.

I bought this game. It's actually pretty damn fun when I have some people over (I don't use the nerf gun.. just 4 perfect shot controllers).. i hope people don't mean games like this when they use the word "shovelware" since it's pretty well made.

Meier

Jtyettis said:
I doubt we would have seen a second Naruto on 360 by Ubisoft Montreal if the first wasn't semi-successful for them.

Well with Shaun White Wii at 150k+ that sets a nice floorboard for the top 20. Fallout 3 (360) likely close to 1 million in the US now. Does anyone know where Oblivion (360) ended up around in the US?

I wish we could full top 20 numbers this month.
When we used to get the top 100+, we'd see 80+ titles doing 100k around this time of year. I have a feeling every game in the top 20 did at least 250k... minimum.

Lord Error said:
Isn't it surprising that R2 sold seemingly much less than LBP this month?

Resistance 2 had a very good first month but then has disappeared. I think its pretty clear at this stage its a decent to good franchise for them but it won't be their Halo like the fandom and Sony sort of tried to position it.

Yes Boss!

Stoney Mason said:
Resistance 2 had a very good first month but then has disappeared. I think its pretty clear at this stage its a decent to good franchise for them but it won't be their Halo like the fandom and Sony sort of tried to position it.

I know as a casual FPS player (Halo, CoD4) I skipped the second and am instead looking forward to Killzone 2.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Luckyman said:
NERF N STRIKE

To all Wii developers out there. This is what they want.
Sadly, it was one of the biggest and most advertised Wii games for the holidays.

And I'm not surprised it sold well. The fact that it also works as a regular Nerf gun is a huge selling point. I know my cousin bought one for his kids because of that.

Top Bottom