• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Kenaras

szaromir said:
IIRC from the article revealing the game, a rather small team was working on preproduction for two years and 120-150 people worked on the actual production for the past twelve months. Still, that must have been a huge budget.

Ubisoft's CFO was quoted projecting 2.5 to 3 million units as "clearly achievable" for Prince of Persia. He also said there would be a "downside factor" if the game only sold 1.5 million units. From the look of things, it's going to sell far less than 1.5 million.

I know the game had flaws, but I still loved it and was hoping for a sequel. This is making me depressed.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/n...illion-suggests-ratings-not-important-/?biz=1

giuliu

Banned
John Dunbar said:
But you got to realize that what's in the past is done and you don't get revenue from old sales. Xbox 360 may have sold more third party software combined so far, but that doesn't change the fact that Wii sold more third party software the past two months.

While past software sales make for good PR about tie ratios, what's more important is where they can sell the most in the future. And considering the rapid growth of Wii's userbase and 20/30 of the top games being on Nintendo systems in December, I'd say there is a good chance Wii will be a lot more attractive to third parties.

Or they might just say it's for girls, whatever.

It did? in the US?
do you mean total or more 3rd party title charted?
Do you realize that chart in question shows nothing about the 3rd party software sales for the 360 for the past year?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
giuliu said:
It did? in the US?
Do you realize that chart in question shows nothing about the 3rd party software sales for the 360 for the past year?

From Nintendo's PR:

* More 3rd party units were sold for Wii than any other home consoles in December for the 2nd consecutive month.

Cipherr

giuliu said:
It did? in the US?

Dude read the thread, yes in the US, and yes the previous 2 months the most important months of the year. And yeah Nintendo consoles and software from 1st and third parties dominated the top 30. By any measurement the Wii won the third party war sales wise Nov and Dec. And its certainly not the first time its happened either. Times have changed.

farnham

Banned
The market is clearly shifting towards the wii.. the thirdparties are finally seeing it with prestige next gen titles like mirrors edge or Prince of Persia doing hohum numbers and relative budget titles like shaun white or nerf N strike rocking the charts..

lets see if this will translate to future support

Chumly

giuliu said:
It did? in the US?
That chart also does not show third party Wii Sales in December or November which would show a large spike. Also Wii third party sales outsold current 360 third party sales for both months.

donny2112

giuliu said:
It did? in the US?

It was in Nintendo's NPD response and has nothing to do with the chart. The Wii sold more third-party units than the 360 for November and December. Microsoft claimed more third-party revenue for the entire generation.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah it's true I'm taking Vicodin because I just had surgery, but it cracked me up that Bulla and Astrolad really made this thread take a nosedive into the Hudson. (too soon?)

donny2112

TheBranca18 said:
(too soon?)

No one died (unless I'm misinformed), so I don't see the problem.

Sadist said:
So wait: three good multiplatform efforts actually sold on Wii?

WII COD:WaW was shellacked in November and offered up as "proof" that third-parties can't sell on Wii, even. :lol

Sadist

donny2112 said:
WII COD:WaW was shellacked in November and offered up as "proof" that third-parties can't sell on Wii, even. :lol
That makes it so funny. :lol But ik makes me wonder though; will the next CoD hit Wii as well?

Busaiku

pgtl_10 said:
Does anybody have Tales of Symphonia 2 and Call of Duty Wii numbers?
Of course it's not exactly a number, but Call of Duty performed better than Rock Band 2, which sold 150k.
Wii Music did 485k for the month, and it's only 2 places above Call of Duty.

pgtl_10

Busaiku said:
Of course it's not exactly a number, but Call of Duty performed better than Rock Band 2, which sold 150k.
Wii Music did 485k for the month, and it's only 2 places above Call of Duty.

Nice also since it's December I wouldn't be surprised if TOS 2 did at least a 100k and perhaps will reach 500k LTD for the whole world which is not bad.(Of course it would sell more if it gets released in Europe.)

Thanks for the info. I asked three times before I got a response.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Well what do you expect? It's a niche game. Hell Persona 4 didn't break the top 10 it's debut month on the PS2 list. Nothing has changed about niche games on current gen tech consoles, just the cost to make them.

And it was Sega's fault for making it exclusive to only one system. With a niche game, you really need the biggest audience you can get.

Grecco

Private Hoffman said:
Still no data for titles outside the top 10?

How long do we have to wait. I'm really curious to see what some other high profile titles like LBP sold.

Top 20 was posted

Fredescu

Balb said:
Well, Banjo is no surprise. Fable II was extremely front loaded, I suppose.
Fable II came out at the start of October, and it's still in the top 10 360 games for December. A million and still selling isn't what I'd call "extremely front loaded".

Private Hoffman said:
Well it seems like LittleBigPlanet is having decent legs, but I wish we could get a raw unit count to see if LBP's LTD is at 500k yet in the US.
I don't understand why more people aren't supremely annoyed with Sony for sacrificing the sales of great games to win a stupid format war. Maybe they are and I haven't been paying attention. Being "unsure" that it has even reached 500k is heartbreaking. The game deserves to have done at least a million by now, and the blame lies entirely on Sony that it hasn't.

Fredescu said:
don't understand why more people aren't supremely annoyed with Sony for sacrificing the sales of great games to win a stupid format war. Maybe they are and I haven't been paying attention. Being "unsure" that it has even reached 500k is heartbreaking. The game deserves to have done at least a million by now, and the blame lies entirely on Sony that it hasn't.

:lol

SONY has nothing to do with LBP not gaining traction. LBP has everything to do with LBP not gaining traction. LBP may be a game you enjoy, but it is not what most consumers have any interest in playing.

For a title Sony was pushing as it's big thing for so long, especially internally, to not even be sure it made the Top 30 in December is really astounding.

Fredescu

TheGrayGhost said:
:lol

SONY has nothing to do with LBP not gaining traction. LBP has everything to do with LBP not gaining traction. LBP may be a game you enjoy, but it is not what most consumers have any interest in playing.
Yes they do. They hamstrung the hardware sales of their platform. You really think if there were more PS3s out there, the sales would have remained static? That's ridiculous. It has over a million users worldwide, so it's not a total bomb. The position of the PS3 in the market is what's holding it back.

Balb

Fredescu said:
Yes they do. They hamstrung the hardware sales of their platform. You really think if there were more PS3s out there, the sales would have remained static? That's ridiculous. It has over a million users worldwide, so it's not a total bomb. The position of the PS3 in the market is what's holding it back.

I wouldn't consider the PS3's position to be a hindrance in this case. If LBP can't even top MKvDC (just the PS3 version) I think there's something wrong with the Sony marketing team.

Fredescu

Perhaps MKvDC is a good game? I have no idea. It was released a month later in any case. Marketing may be responsible for it's relative position among other PS3 titles, but Sony is responsible for the low PS3 userbase and therefore take the blame for the poor performance of all software sales.

pgtl_10

CD:W@W Wii might start to pick sales over the next few months. Guitar Hero 3 started out with low sales but good advertising, word of mouth, and consistent sales made the game a hit with the Wii base.

Zapages

Well the new PoP is doing ok, but nothing like the old PoP games sales wise.

I don't know about reaching 3 million...

#4 for the PS3 and #10 for Xbox 360...

Private Hoffman said:
Depressed to see MotorStorm 2 nowhere on the list. It deserves much better sales.

Many people say that MS2 is better then MS1 so it seems like the only reason MS1 got decent sales was because it came out after the launch drought and was a pack in game.

They really needed to either release MS2 way earlier in the Christmas season or right now during the after Christmas drought.

Link

The Autumn Wind
farnham said:
Survey says?!

8nbfno

Opiate said:
That 40% wasn't intended to represent a legitimate guess at Sony's holiday increase, it was only intended to clarify the point.
Fair enough. My thrust was that reality was far closer to usual November-->December increases than to your hypothetical.

Opiate said:
As to your main point: first, this is essentially a "relative to install base" argument, where one says that the PS3 sold software reasonably well considering its low install base. I'm not a fan of this argument...
It has to be deployed carefully, but it has its place. Relative-to-base numbers aren't how publishers should allocate resources. If you're a PS3 publisher, you can't expect several million copies sold for every title you make; you should budget for lower sales, because that's what you're going to get.

On the other hand, sales relative-to-base do point toward a general health of the platform; the PS3 is selling software pretty much in line with normal console performance. I was mostly arguing against unrealistic statements about how Sony is doing abysmally, or that they're bound to leave the market. To be fair, you're never alarmist like this; I just saw some glimmer of that attitude coming from your comments.

Opiate said:
Second, didn't Donny recently note that good Xbox / Gamecube decembers were ~10 million in software? So even by these low standards, this wasn't a good month for PS3 software.
Depends on which December he's talking about. If it was when they had ~6m units in the U.S., then yes the comparison looks bad.

ZAK

Fredescu said:
Maybe it's also MM's fault for making it for the PS3, then.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fredescu said:
US+UK sales for Shaun White is about 450k by now. Pretty good.

You can't find Shaun White Wii in the UK on the shelves right now, have a look at Amazon marketplace/playtrade or Ebay, the game goes for more than its rrp.

Luckily I preordered the game back then, it's pretty darn good.

The fact that Wii Cod doesn't have any local mp is heartbreaking, that's sad and hopefully ActiBlizz realize they need to step the game up for Modern Warfare 2.
People DO buy this kind of games on Wii, but because it happens to targets such a specific audience on the console, the very same audience which is less prone to let features-are-missing kinda shit slip, developers publishers need to put actual effort into them and to market the game to see sales gaining momentum.

Fredescu

ZAK said:
Maybe it's also MM's fault for making it for the PS3, then.
They signed the deal with Sony before the PS3 was released, so it's hard to blame them for that really. In hindsight they would have been better off being published by someone like EA and making the game multiplatform. Who knows why they didn't.

Dash Kappei said:
You can't find Shaun White Wii in the UK on the shelves right now
Nice. I wonder if it will go gold this month then. That 450k is based off their silver award in November.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
farnham said:
The market is clearly shifting towards the wii.. the thirdparties are finally seeing it with prestige next gen titles like mirrors edge or Prince of Persia doing hohum numbers and relative budget titles like shaun white or nerf N strike rocking the charts..

It sort of has, but not in the way you may be thinking. Instead, it's caused publishers to take the casual genre as a whole much more seriously, even if all their games are not directly on the Wii. For example, EA has historically had one of the weaker line-ups for casual gamers this generation, only having the Hasbro titles and Maxis games to really support them this year. However, let's check out their casual line-up for 2009.

EA's Casual 2009 Line-up:
The Sims 3
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Beatles Game
EA Fitness w/ Oprah's Personal Trainer
EA Tennis
The Littlest Pet Shop
XBLA Hasbro Games
Wii/DS Hasbro Games
Spore Expansions
The Sims Expansions
Andrew Lloyd-Webber Game (Rumor)

And they also have their full array of sports titles which are genuinely seeing significant increases in quality. Even without a single core title they arguably have one of the strongest and potentially best selling line-ups in the industry. Of course they have far from abandoned making core titles as they have announced one of the strongest line-ups there as well, and likely will announce more games throughout the year. However, this much more balanced approach will cause them to not have to bleed money and employees if a few of their core titles bomb like it did this year, and it also shows what I would consider to be a very serious dedication to the audience of the Wii, albeit not with the core title support many here would have hoped for.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'd love to know not only who that 1 guy is, but what store had a new copy of NFL 2K1 lying around, haha.

onipex

Link said:
Survey says?!

8nbfno

I agree.

The Conduit , Mad World and Deadly Creatures can all sell about 3 million each and support would not increase. The excuse for the first two will be that Wii owners see Sega as part of Nintendo so games they publish don't count. Then someone will say that deadly creatures sold well because old people and kids like bugs.

Top Bottom