• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

JudgeN

Soneet said:
What nooooo.

First controller-only reveal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMk7dXUJNkU

Look at that. I'd say we got most of the stuff except for the actual stuff that made us GAF gamers say wow. Where are all the top quality shooters, sword games and horror games. It's incredible that the first games actually using that flash light idea has only been just released now.

I even picked up Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods because they looked as fun as in that trailer (well, probably because of Motion+ but that's no excuse now since it's everywhere).

Great games/software gets good rewards and that should be the only logic. Just because I like gamer's games doesn't mean I can't pick up stuff like Wii Fit and EA Sports Active (which I did) and vice versa.

If lots of moms (lol) bought Wii's, then it means they have children (hence: moms). Those children could be of any age. The Wii is everywhere. And there's a lot of types of software missing. From what I've seen, it's the gamer's games. I'm sick of seeing the best efforts are rail shooters. Amazing high budget games... but they're freakin' rail shooters.

The hell, are you just picking random numbers out of thin air to drive a discussion? Zomg.

And uh, what core games? >_>

PS. I think 100% for 360 would be more logical :lol

Can we really call this good logic when great games bomb all the time? Sony would be glad to talk to you about it, if you don't believe me.

rpmurphy

EmCeeGramr said:
shattered memories has nothing to do with the previous silent hill games and plays very differently

reiterate: all y'all
There is a problem with marketing if they wanted to bring a fresh revival to the series and people failed to know about it.

Gwanatu T said:
This is what bugs me the most. It's not like we didn't have amazing games in any of the previous generations, and I think the Wii has shown that, in it's best, it can look better than the original Xbox. Not only that but there have always been awesome/fun games in previous generations, and somehow it seems that developers have lost that when translating to the Wii. It's almost as if they took their skill set and threw it away.
Kind of.

These companies make new hires with new projects a lot and these days when you go to school for video game design, you learn a lot of UE3. Basically, skills that are not applicable to the Wii. The guys that were making great games last generation want to be making great games with the technology to do everything they want within rational limits.

While it may bother a GAFer to see a low-res wall texture stretched across the screen, it bothers a game designer way more.

So you have people that don't want to work on the wii but will if they're ordered to and people that have no idea how to work on the Wii and are probably the ones making the games for it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sadist said:
If there is something that I hate this gen, it's all the terms that were made up by the industry.

And messageboards types like us just copy-paste it. Well, some of us. :p
Seriously, I find the abuse of PR talk in both message boards and gaming sites frightening.

mclem

ShockingAlberto said:
At some point we should sit down and figure out what the hell core is.

"Everything I like".

Which technically means that hot chocolate is core, but coffee is casual. You heard it here first!

obaidr said:
just a small question to all the people who say 3rd parties doing it wrong:

how many of the ~4 Wiis sold this month, were sold to actual gamers who care about games and buy many games per year, like lets say the PS360 owners?

Publicly available data shows that Wii owners buy, on average, exactly the same number of games as Xbox 360 or PS3 owners. So while the answer to your question is unknown, your implication that most of the sales were to people who buy very few games is dead wrong. If there are a lot of Wii owners buying few games, then there are some Wii owners out there who are buying tons of them to average it out.

obaidr said:
almost every core gamer who was really interested in a Wii did already buy one before Dec. 09 because the Wii market just doesnt have such a high entrance barrier

The 360 was cheaper than the Wii for a good portion of the year. If "every core gamer" should have already bought a Wii, then the same should be just as true for the 360. By your own logic, I guess Xbox 360's are being sold to casual buyers who won't buy many games, too.

hednik4am

The Faceless Master said:
i know it when i see it!

its like when they tried to pin down what a RPG was on retronauts....

i think im a core gamer but i only play 4-5 games a year... so am i still core

In my heart I am I guess

farnham

Banned
obaidr said:
just a small question to all the people who say 3rd parties doing it wrong:

how many of the ~4 Wiis sold this month, were sold to actual gamers who care about games and buy many games per year, like lets say the PS360 owners?

All those Big 3rd party devs like Rockstar, EA, Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom etc. make gamer games like Ubisoft said.
Now i don't think many gamers bought a Wii basically because they know there is not much announced to look forward for. So if you are a company like one of those and make core games and you know the core gamers are on the PS360 platforms, why should you care how much Nintendo is selling? My these is that almost every core gamer who was really interested in a Wii did already buy one before Dec. 09 because the Wii market just doesnt have such a high entrance barrier.

Even if the Wii would have sold 10 million systems this month but the core gamers were still on the other two platforms, the 3rd parties would not care because they dont (probably can't) make the right products, which is not core games like we already see in x cases, for the Wii audience.
Okay so next december Wii will probably take 4 to 6 out of the top 10 once again.. all nintendo of course.. and those publishers will fight over the remaining 3 or 4 spots (since there will be some DS games that sell too..)

seems to be a fair deal for third parties to me

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mclem said:
"Everything I like".

Which technically means that hot chocolate is core, but coffee is casual. You heard it here first!
Hey, I love coffee.

ShinNL

JudgeN said:
Can we really call this good logic when great games bomb all the time? Sony would be glad to talk to you about it, if you don't believe me.
Okay, maybe it shouldn't be the only logic in general, but people haven't been applying this logic to Wii games much.

mclem said:
"Everything I like".

But I like coffee and hate warm&sweet stuff...

Oh wait, did you just call me a casual!? Insult! Oh wait, is it an insult? Ehm...

ShockingAlberto said:
I have a theory, backed up a little bit with things I've heard, that internal politics at Konami killed Shattered Memories' ad campaign.

Some people were completely convinced that the odd take on Silent Hill, especially on the Wii, was going to completely fail, so any marketing money was going to be wasted on it. This went back and forth, with banner ads being purchased then rescinded, commercials being planned and then canned, even a viral marketing messaging service that sounded really cool where you give a friend's phone number and they get a voice mail from Cheryl, all of it was killed off.

Some people at Konami really believed in the game and others saw it as a waste of time and money. Eventually the latter won out when the game saw release. I think Dead Space Extraction did more to kill the Silent Hill ad campaign than anything else.
That's really too bad. I think they could have stolen Capcom's thunder in a lot of ways ("fuck those guys, they're just giving you some crappy rail shooters, check out this awesome scary game")

sonicmj1

jay said:
Let's turn this around. You're an actual gamer who cares about games and buys many games per year. Which third party Wii games did you buy this holiday season?
If I only had a Wii, I would have purchased New Super Mario Bros, Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob, and possibly Silent Hill.

Instead, I got Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Now, even with deflated prices for a number of the aforementioned Wii titles, there's a good chance I will never purchase any of them.

Generally, there's a good chance I would have enjoyed those games as much as a number of the other titles I bought (probably not Demon's Souls, but anything else), but they still were further from my radar than corresponding 360/PS3 games, and so I didn't value them as highly. Now, I've moved on to a bunch of PC games I got for very cheap during Steam's Holiday Sale and Bayonetta, and by the time I'm done with those, Q1 is going to heat up even more.

People keep saying, "We want quality games for Wii!" but with rare exception, when those games do come out (like Little King's Story or Silent Hill), they can barely manage five-digit sales. I feel pretty comfortable saying that third-parties have squandered core mindshare on the Wii, and now few people there are really looking to the platform for releases. There may have been a hungry audience in 2007 or 2008, but by now, the "hardcore" herds have moved to greener pastures. The remaining market is pretty small.

Any third party who, at this stage, chooses to release a mythical full-budget big-team third-party Wii exclusive title would probably have found greater success on the HD platforms.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Soneet said:
JudgeN said:
Okay, maybe it shouldn't be the only logic in general, but people haven't been applying this logic to Wii games much.
I hate how everyone ignores my posts on the matter :(

ShockingAlberto said:
But will it sell?
If it's really casual, it damn better should.

sonicmj1 said:
If I only had a Wii, I would have purchased New Super Mario Bros, Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob, and possibly Silent Hill.

Instead, I got Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Now, even with deflated prices for a number of the aforementioned Wii titles, there's a good chance I will never purchase any of them.

Generally, there's a good chance I would have enjoyed those games as much as a number of the other titles I bought (probably not Demon's Souls, but anything else), but they still were further from my radar than corresponding 360/PS3 games, and so I didn't value them as highly. Now, I've moved on to a bunch of PC games I got for very cheap during Steam's Holiday Sale and Bayonetta, and by the time I'm done with those, Q1 is going to heat up even more.

People keep saying, "We want quality games for Wii!" but with rare exception, when those games do come out (like Little King's Story or Silent Hill), they can barely manage five-digit sales. I feel pretty comfortable saying that third-parties have squandered core mindshare on the Wii, and now few people there are really looking to the platform for releases. There may have been a hungry audience in 2007 or 2008, but by now, the "hardcore" herds have moved to greener pastures. The remaining market is pretty small.

Any third party who, at this stage, chooses to release a mythical full-budget big-team third-party Wii exclusive title would probably have found greater success on the HD platforms.
True.

Sadist

Jocchan said:
Seriously, I find the abuse of PR talk in both message boards and gaming sites frightening.
Indeed.

That's why I fucking hate the discussion from both sides when we're talking about "core" games. It's a stupid discussion anyway. "Core" is just a word anyway. But it's in our nature I guess. We create are own labels.

Evlar

Banned
Opiate said:
Very much agreed. I used an analogy some time ago: let's say I'm a professional Football player. As such, it should be absolutely fair to say that I am good at sports. Now, let's say that Football suddenly falls entirely out of fashion, and I'm forced to quit playing sports or play Basketball. Does anyone seriously think I can simply wake up one day and be incredible at Basketball? I'm good at sports, it should be easy! And yet, despite both careers falling under the monicker of "sport," and despite everyone agreeing that I'm very good at sports, I'm not actually suited to compete in Basketball at the highest levels. It requires slightly different physical characteristics (i.e. taller) and a different skill set that I need to cultivate over years of play.

Similarly, it should be fairly apparent by now that the Wii has a slightly different audience.They still fall under the category of "game," but it's different enough that a large company that's supposed to be "good at making games" may not actually be very good in this case, because it requires a different skill set.

Nintendo faithful don't like to hear this, because it sounds like I'm suggesting that the major third parties focus on the PS3/360 -- and I am, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. It's what they're good at, so stick with it. However, HD faithful don't seem to like the suggestion that these companies have failed on the Wii because they aren't skilled enough, because it implies it's a failing of the companies, rather than of the Wii system. And it is a failling of these companies, but it's a totally understandable one. It's like saying, "You are not highly skilled at everything" as a character flaw. Of course companies are going to be stronger at certain skills and weaker at others. Because the "traditional" gamer market has been gradually evolving for 30 years, virtually every major 3rd party in existance built their empires by honing just this set of skills.
I think your analysis is on the mark when applied to certain third parties. As I understand your argument, developers are paid to do what they do because they express certain talents (like football stars are paid to play football because they have talents and skills that are useful in competing in professional football games). Game development, being a collaborative endeavor, makes the analogy fit better if we describe a given development studio as comparable to an entire football team, but otherwise your conclusions appear sound. Take a stellar development studio belonging to a small company: Valve, for instance (the studio and the company are nearly identical). They are clearly specialized at making first-person viewpoint games, chiefly shooters. They excel at it. Asking them to adapt to making games of another type with restrictions they aren't typically confined to may not be expected to work. Exactly as you say, forcing Valve to make a point-and-click adventure or a Bejewelled puzzler would be as sensible as forcing the Indianapolis Colts to play cricket.

However.

This logic cannot extend to the larger corporate third-party production houses: EA, Activision, Ubisoft, or Capcom. These are not game design studios. They are instead bands of men and women with very large quantities of investors' money at their disposal whose job it is to purchase pools of talent for the purpose of delivering gaming products to sell on the market. The pools of talent are studios, like Valve, who will each individually specialize in particular things. Take Electronic Arts. They make Madden and other sports games. However, it is not sensible to say that Electronic Arts, as a whole, specializes in sports games. They clearly are capable of making many other things, and they do. EA has studios that make nothing but sports games, and it would clearly be madness to ask the Madden teams to make The Sims or shooters or port Monopoly to the iPhone. Nevertheless, EA does accomplish all of these things by having multiple pools of talent each with specific capabilities: the Sims team, the FPS teams, the mobile gaming teams, and so forth.

When presented with a new design challenge a small studio like Valve has certain decisions to make, chiefly: can we make a new game of Type X without fundamentally altering our capabilities to make the games we're already successful at: Type A, Type B, Type C, and so forth? If the change is small or otherwise compatible with their current talent pool they may say "yes". Thus Valve made Portal, a non-shooter puzzle game with parkour elements. It's different from anything they made before, however it also shared obvious similarities with their other products: first-person perspective, similar controls, strong atmosphere with innovative storytelling methods, physics-based challenges, and so forth. It was a stretch for their capabilities but they were able to cope without radically altering the team's design sensibility. If presented with a completely different project- say, a 2D fighter- I would expect Valve would reject the project out of hand because the effort and time spent on developing the necessary tools and skills for building that kind of game is too burdensome compared to doing things with their existing skillset.

But when an Electronic Arts is presented with a new design challenge such as a new type of game they don't currently produce they have other options. They can re-purpose existing teams to the new game type, and they have the monetary resources to accomplish the necessary retooling and retraining. This may be a good idea for "pools of talent" whose specialties are no longer profitable- retraining the flight sim guys to make FPS, for instance. Or they can make new hires out of school and allow them to tackle a new design challenge, essentially building a new talent pool from scratch. Or they can follow the most obvious route and buy pre-packaged talent: buy smaller design studios.

All of these take some measure of investment but they obviously pay off. When the Guitar Hero phenomenon went nuclear with the gigantic sales of GH2, Electronic Arts and Activision didn't hesitate to make substantial investments to become competitive in the emerging market. EA partnered with MTV Games who had recently acquired the talent pool called Harmonix. Activision took the more direct route and purchased RedOctane and the Guitar Hero brand. I doubt anyone would suggest this was a bad move on the part of either corporation.

So now turning to the Wii: Where is the problem? I cannot accept that the difficulty is in finding pools of talent who can make compelling games for the system. These large corporations have solved many previous problems of emerging systems or genres through the judicious application of cash: besides the plastic instrument genre, obvious examples are in the bloom of games following big successes in the suspense horror genre, the console shooter genres (single and multiplayer), the GTA-style open world genre, the 2D and 3D fighter genres, the 2D and 3D platforming genres, and so forth. Are we truly willing to claim that breaking into the Wii- not even in specific genres, just in building a hit of any type- is more difficult than any of those accomplishments? The theory is outrageous.

I contend that the problem is not with the Wii but with the industry overall as it exists today. The big corporate publishers have become risk-adverse AND simultaneously risk blind. They do not want to invest money into a new venture unless the chance of success is high by their comprehension of the problem, and unless the amount of money to be invested is small. This results in self-fulfilling expectations of failure as they commit much smaller budgets to conquering portions of the vast Wii market compared to the vast resources they commit to cutting out a slice of the pie on the other consoles... despite the customers on the Wii side being under-served, the competition on the HD side fiercer, and the Wii pie being larger (worldwide) overall.

Nearly all the third-party wounds in their battle for the Wii are self-inflicted. They could have found success with reasonable investment either in new design teams or retooling old teams, giving them adequate budgets, and supporting them with first-rate marketing. Their failure to do that is nothing other than a disorder of corporate strategy.

jay

sonicmj1 said:

Can you explain what you mean by further from your radar? Is that in reference to advertising, or general hype? For the record I also bought Demons Souls over Muramasa and a Boy and His Blob. Had a long, deep, well reviewed single player RPG come out on Wii against those others you listed I'd probably have bought it (though maybe not over DS).

ShockingAlberto said:
At some point we should sit down and figure out what the hell core is.

For the sake of the current discussion (buyers of yearly or iterative sequels), it would generally be game consumer who pre-orders a game due to hype/demo/Game Informer cover/world of mouth/reviews, completes it as soon as possible, tosses it aside/sells it to Gamestop, and immediately demands more (in a month's time if it's SP, in 6-12 months if it has decent multi, longer if it has great multi and nothing comes out to take its place).

It is in this way that you get the "one month" hits that sell a million at full price and quickly fade. For some companies, this model works.

3rd parties would prefer all core consumers to be like the CoD fanbase. Or even, the Pokemon fanbase. Not only do they continue playing the games well into the new year, which allows for strong sales of add-on DLC in CoD's case, they STILL buy the iterative sequels (which to non-fans, look like minor upgrades) despite being content with the current offerings.

Why? Simply because it's more content, they have money to burn, they have time to waste. And they line up in droves to buy the next version as long as the game is fun to play.

Opiate

BowieZ said:
This analogy doesn't seem very accurate. Developers aren't good at making good quality games on a slightly graphically inferior system? Where were these people for the past 20 years? And what games did they enjoy playing??

No, that's too facile an analogy. It's not about the technology specs: it's about the philosophies the Wii espouses. One of those philosophies happens to be "Better technology does not make better games." Most major developers today have built their careers in no small part on their ability to produce striking graphics and visuals. A system which suggests that this skill is entirely or mostly useless essentially negates one of their most fundamental skills.

Again, using my analogy from before, a Football player (I'm talking about Soccer for Americans) needs agile, extremely coordinated feet. One might even call it the dominant characteristic of succesful Soccer players. If I make the switch to basketball, I wouldn't say that this skill is completely meaningless, but certainly it's profoundly less important. You need to rely far more on hand coordination, a skill which Soccer players would have little reason to cultivate.

Here's another example: consider Mario Kart. One of the primary complaints reviewers had about the game is that it is too luck based, that people in the back can get extremely potent power ups that rocket them to the front, without any real skill involved. They view this as a down side. However, I think it's very clear that most Mario Kart purchasers view this exact same quality as a good thing, because it facilitates playing together. People who stink can play with people who are great and still have some chance of winning. In other words, the precise qualities that "core" gamers and developers would dislike and avoid are qualities that many Wii gamers actively seek out. You can imagine the difficulty in reconciling such a dilemma.

So, the characteristics that make a good developer on the Wii are different (such as the high end grahpics example) and the qualities that make a good game are different on the Wii (such as Mario Kart's luck). This is like a very tall basketball player moving to Soccer: his innate physical characteristics are no longer advantageous -- in fact, it's probably better to be stout in Soccer -- and the extremely specific hand coordination skills he's spent decades developing are completely meaningless.

Dorrin

Leondexter said:
Publicly available data shows that Wii owners buy, on average, exactly the same number of games as Xbox 360 or PS3 owners. So while the answer to your question is unknown, your implication that most of the sales were to people who buy very few games is dead wrong. If there are a lot of Wii owners buying few games, then there are some Wii owners out there who are buying tons of them to average it out.

Can you provide some more info on this. Is this 'same average number of games' taking into account the larger Wii install base, meaning if the base for Wii is double that of the 360are they selling twice as many games? Also is there a breakdown of 3rd party vs 1st party? Wii owners(like myself) might be buying games true but its not going to do 3rd party developers much good or spur them into action if they are all 1st party Nintendo titles.

°°ToMmY°° said:
how much did shattered memories sell? i keep seeing it mentioned here, but this thread is too long (14 pages x 100 posts each) to look at it.

Under 50k, apparently. While obviously disappointing, consider the LTD sales of Silent Hill: Homecoming leaked earlier this year after around 3-4 months on the market:

360 - 73k
PS3 - 84k

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Evlar said:
I think your analysis is on the mark when applied to certain third parties. As I understand your argument, developers are paid to do what they do because they express certain talents (like football stars are paid to play football because they have talents and skills that are useful in competing in professional football games). Game development, being a collaborative endeavor, makes the analogy fit better if we describe a given development studio as comparable to an entire football team, but otherwise your conclusions appear sound. Take a stellar development studio belonging to a small company: Valve, for instance (the studio and the company are nearly identical). They are clearly specialized at making first-person viewpoint games, chiefly shooters. They excel at it. Asking them to adapt to making games of another type with restrictions they aren't typically confined to may not be expected to work. Exactly as you say, forcing Valve to make a point-and-click adventure or a Bejewelled puzzler would be as sensible as forcing the Indianapolis Colts to play cricket.

However.

This logic cannot extend to the larger corporate third-party production houses: EA, Activision, Ubisoft, or Capcom. These are not game design studios. They are instead bands of men and women with very large quantities of investors' money at their disposal whose job it is to purchase pools of talent for the purpose of delivering gaming products to sell on the market. The pools of talent are studios, like Valve, who will each individually specialize in particular things. Take Electronic Arts. They make Madden and other sports games. However, it is not sensible to say that Electronic Arts, as a whole, specializes in sports games. They clearly are capable of making many other things, and they do. EA has studios that make nothing but sports games, and it would clearly be madness to ask the Madden teams to make The Sims or shooters or port Monopoly to the iPhone. Nevertheless, EA does accomplish all of these things by having multiple pools of talent each with specific capabilities: the Sims team, the FPS teams, the mobile gaming teams, and so forth.

When presented with a new design challenge a small studio like Valve has certain decisions to make, chiefly: can we make a new game of Type X without fundamentally altering our capabilities to make the games we're already successful at: Type A, Type B, Type C, and so forth? If the change is small or otherwise compatible with their current talent pool they may say "yes". Thus Valve made Portal, a non-shooter puzzle game with parkour elements. It's different from anything they made before, however it also shared obvious similarities with their other products: first-person perspective, similar controls, strong atmosphere with innovative storytelling methods, physics-based challenges, and so forth. It was a stretch for their capabilities but they were able to cope without radically altering the team's design sensibility. If presented with a completely different project- say, a 2D fighter- I would expect Valve would reject the project out of hand because the effort and time spent on developing the necessary tools and skills for building that kind of game is too burdensome compared to doing things with their existing skillset.

But when an Electronic Arts is presented with a new design challenge such as a new type of game they don't currently produce they have other options. They can re-purpose existing teams to the new game type, and they have the monetary resources to accomplish the necessary retooling and retraining. This may be a good idea for "pools of talent" whose specialties are no longer profitable- retraining the flight sim guys to make FPS, for instance. Or they can make new hires out of school and allow them to tackle a new design challenge, essentially building a new talent pool from scratch. Or they can follow the most obvious route and buy pre-packaged talent: buy smaller design studios.

All of these take some measure of investment but they obviously pay off. When the Guitar Hero phenomenon went nuclear with the gigantic sales of GH2, Electronic Arts and Activision didn't hesitate to make substantial investments to become competitive in the emerging market. EA partnered with MTV Games who had recently acquired the talent pool called Harmonix. Activision took the more direct route and purchased RedOctane and the Guitar Hero brand. I doubt anyone would suggest this was a bad move on the part of either corporation.

So now turning to the Wii: Where is the problem? I cannot accept that the difficulty is in finding pools of talent who can make compelling games for the system. These large corporations have solved many previous problems of emerging systems or genres through the judicious application of cash: besides the plastic instrument genre, obvious examples are in the bloom of games following big successes in the suspense horror genre, the console shooter genres (single and multiplayer), the GTA-style open world genre, the 2D and 3D fighter genres, the 2D and 3D platforming genres, and so forth. Are we truly willing to claim that breaking into the Wii- not even in specific genres, just in building a hit of any type- is more difficult than any of those accomplishments? The theory is outrageous.

I contend that the problem is not with the Wii but with the industry overall as it exists today. The big corporate publishers have become risk-adverse AND simultaneously risk blind. They do not want to invest money into a new venture unless the chance of success is high by their comprehension of the problem, and unless the amount of money to be invested is small. This results in self-fulfilling expectations of failure as they commit much smaller budgets to conquering portions of the vast Wii market compared to the vast resources they commit to cutting out a slice of the pie on the other consoles... despite the customers on the Wii side being under-served, the competition on the HD side fiercer, and the Wii pie being larger (worldwide) overall.

Nearly all the third-party wounds in their battle for the Wii are self-inflicted. They could have found success with reasonable investment either in new design teams or retooling old teams, giving them adequate budgets, and supporting them with first-rate marketing. Their failure to do that is nothing other than a disorder of corporate strategy.
This is a very good post.

°°ToMmY°° said:
how much did shattered memories sell? i keep seeing it mentioned here, but this thread is too long (14 pages x 100 posts each) to look at it.
We know no exact figure, but it sold <50k.

Although this is completely irrelevant and has a HIGH probability of not being released this year, I hope Zelda Wii sells like no tomorrow when it's released :D

zelda-wii-2010.jpg

sonicmj1

jay said:
Can you explain what you mean by further from your radar? Is that in reference to advertising, or general hype? For the record I also bought Demons Souls over Muramasa and a Boy and His Blob. Had a long, deep, well reviewed single player RPG come out on Wii against those others you listed I'd probably have bought it (though maybe not over DS).

Probably general hype. I don't see and interact with a lot of advertising, and instead hear about most games through GAF. That is, for instance, how I heard lots of really striking impressions about Little King's Story before it came out in the US, and how I wound up preordering the game.

With the exception of Demon's Souls, I got all those games after their release date. One only needs to look as far as the Game of the Year awards on the top of these boards to see which set of titles received more recognition. So that's one example.

But I also feel like, in a way, I'm not really looking for games on the Wii. I mean, I had played New Super Mario Bros, and had very positive hands-on multiplayer impressions of the game. But I only own one Wiimote, because I don't use the Wii very much. I felt like I wouldn't have the opportunity to get as much out of that game as I'd like if I bought it, so I didn't. That is largely a consequence of how little I already use the console.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Opiate said:
No, that's too facile an analogy. It's not about the technology specs: it's about the philosophies the Wii espouses. One of those philosophies happens to be "Better technology does not make better games." Most major developers today have built their careers in no small part on their ability to produce striking graphics and visuals. A system which suggests that this skill doesn't matter essentially negates one of their most fundamental skills.

Well, yes. But to extend it a bit - most major developers today have built their careers in no small part on their ability to produce striking graphics and visuals on systems with no more graphical prowess than the Wii has.

The philosophy on the Wii is not that graphics power does not matter at all - it is that it doesn't matter so much that a massive jump in resolution - with all the polygons and shaders and processor power and things that go with it - is justified in the minds of the consumer who wants to play a game.

'Graphics don't matter' is a travesty of the Wii's philosophy as much as 'casuals don't buy games' is of the audience.

EDIT - putting it another way, it is not whether your graphics are better than your competitors, but whether they are good enough for the game, that counts.

ShinNL

Opiate, I think it's slightly different. Just like during the PS2 era people weren't comparing the graphics with the Xbox or the PC, I think Wii gamers are easily wow'd if they get games with good graphics. Take a look at Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 for example. Those games probably look like it's easily done on the HD consoles with some shaders here and there. But because it's on the Wii, it's impressive. It's probably the same for the PSP and DS. People won't compare the games to stuff that's not on the same console.

The same programmers who push graphics can do it just as well on the Wii and see success in what they do.

I'm a flash programmer and when I push graphics (maximizing visual effects with minimal system requirements) for the web it's impressive for the client and customers of that client as well, because you get to see stuff you think it's not possible on that kind of platform.

The difference is probably this: you have to look at things as "does this look good?" and not "does this look like a 360/PS3 game"? You can't achieve anything good with the latter question, but the first question will take you very far on the Wii.

Kosma

Banned
gamergirly said:
Although this is completely irrelevant and has a HIGH probability of not being released this year, I hope Zelda Wii sells like no tomorrow when it's released :D

zelda-wii-2010.jpg

2 million tops.

Haunted

Wii is the absolute dominant system this gen. Just look how completely Wii discussion has this thread in its grip.

Unstoppable.

Kosma said:
2 million tops.
How much has TP sold in the US? I know it's at about 6.8 million WW.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sooo did we get Shattered Memories sales, and if not will we?

scitek

The "Core/Casual" thing is SO STUPID. What the FUCK qualifies a game into which category? Even the industry doesn't know!

vrg1h1.jpg

jay

sonicmj1 said:
Probably general hype. I don't see and interact with a lot of advertising, and instead hear about most games through GAF. That is, for instance, how I heard lots of really striking impressions about Little King's Story before it came out in the US, and how I wound up preordering the game.

With the exception of Demon's Souls, I got all those games after their release date. One only needs to look as far as the Game of the Year awards on the top of these boards to see which set of titles received more recognition. So that's one example.

But I also feel like, in a way, I'm not really looking for games on the Wii. I mean, I had played New Super Mario Bros, and had very positive hands-on multiplayer impressions of the game. But I only own one Wiimote, because I don't use the Wii very much. I felt like I wouldn't have the opportunity to get as much out of that game as I'd like if I bought it, so I didn't. That is largely a consequence of how little I already use the console.

Thanks for the answer. I think it can be looked at two ways. The first way would suggest my idea of "build it and they will come" is incorrect - people have certain views of consoles by now and those views determine largely how they and how the overall community perceive a system's games .

I do think that can probably turned on its head, though. If you saw hype and praise for a dozen Wii games that looked interesting and not much for HD games your perspective may shift. Similarly, your feelings on the Wii have been partially shaped by the community you are a part of and if the feelings in the overall community shifted yours may as well. In theory, at least, games should be able to create such a shit.

The question is how malleable are people perceptions of systems.

Talamius

scitek said:
The "Core/Casual" thing is SO STUPID. What the FUCK qualifies a game into which category? Even the industry doesn't know!

funnylist.jpg

Man, have I had the Sims wrong this entire time...

Just for fun edit: The only games on this list I'd consider core, or hardcore, or whatever the fuck it's called this month are Rome: Total War and Civilization IV.

Opiate said:
Very much agreed. I used an analogy some time ago: let's say I'm a professional Football player. As such, it should be absolutely fair to say that I am good at sports. Now, let's say that Football suddenly falls entirely out of fashion, and I'm forced to quit playing sports or play Basketball. Does anyone seriously think I can simply wake up one day and be incredible at Basketball? I'm good at sports, it should be easy! And yet, despite both careers falling under the monicker of "sport," and despite everyone agreeing that I'm very good at sports, I'm not actually suited to compete in Basketball at the highest levels. It requires slightly different physical characteristics (i.e. taller) and a different skill set that I need to cultivate over years of play.

Similarly, it should be fairly apparent by now that the Wii has a slightly different audience.They still fall under the category of "game," but it's different enough that a large company that's supposed to be "good at making games" may not actually be very good in this case, because it requires a different skill set.

Nintendo faithful don't like to hear this, because it sounds like I'm suggesting that the major third parties focus on the PS3/360 -- and I am, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. It's what they're good at, so stick with it. However, HD faithful don't seem to like the suggestion that these companies have failed on the Wii because they aren't skilled enough, because it implies it's a failing of the companies, rather than of the Wii system. And it is a failling of these companies, but it's a totally understandable one. It's like saying, "You are not highly skilled at everything" as a character flaw. Of course companies are going to be stronger at certain skills and weaker at others. Because the "traditional" gamer market has been gradually evolving for 30 years, virtually every major 3rd party in existance built their empires by honing just this set of skills.
this seems to have some truth to it... these devs just aren't good at making wii games.

Dorrin said:
Can you provide some more info on this. Is this 'same average number of games' taking into account the larger Wii install base, meaning if the base for Wii is double that of the 360are they selling twice as many games? Also is there a breakdown of 3rd party vs 1st party? Wii owners(like myself) might be buying games true but its not going to do 3rd party developers much good or spur them into action if they are all 1st party Nintendo titles.

I'd love to dig up the hard numbers for you, but I'm at work. Maybe someone else can. JoshuaJSlone did the analysis, based on total hardware and total software unit sales, which is data that's available from time to time. I believe it was in the NPD thread two months ago, if you'd like to look for it.

Yes, it takes into account the installed base. The stat is, if I remember correctly, that on average, every owner of a console is buying .01 games per month--so 1 game every ten weeks. It was astounding how close the numbers were between all 3 consoles, almost exactly the same number.

No, it didn't account for 1st party vs 3rd party. But honestly, that's a useless stat most of the time. Let say for a moment that 80% of the sales on the 360 were 3rd party games. But 90% of those sales were from Activision and EA. How is that any better for say, Konami or Atlus than 75% of Wii sales going to Nintendo? You're always going to have to deal with the big players, whether it's Nintendo or someone else. Activision and EA might not be used to getting overshadowed, but everyone else should be used to it.

Also, see my post earlier in reference to 3rd party performance on the Wii. They've earned their low numbers. I only feel sorry for the few teams who found success on the Wii and had it ruined by the flood of shit that drove people toward Nintendo's consistent quality.

botticus

Haunted said:
Over 3 million, Wii+GC.

I think the wrong publisher is listed for Scribblenauts. But wow, that game is doing extremely well for itself.

The Faceless Master said:
and oh snap is that a succesful 3rd party Wii game? from Ubisoft? :lol :lol :lol
I'm sure the game's mediocre, but you can't lose with MC Hammer commercial soundtracks.

farnham

Banned
Haunted said:
Wii is the absolute dominant system this gen. Just look how completely Wii discussion has this thread in its grip.

Unstoppable.

dont forget the GC version

it sold over 1 million units in NA alone

JADS

Wow at Scriblenauts being in the top 20 O_O

Edit: Nine out of twenty games are being published by Nintendo :lol

farnham

Banned
jvm said:
oh wow hard time for thirdparties that banked on 360 and PS3.. even the Top20 doesnt look any better.. and :lol :lol @ sega and mario and sonic sales :lol :lol @ Ubisoft claiming Wii software doesnt sell.. yet their thrown together game (just dance) nearly sells as well as their prestige game

Top Bottom