• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Evlar said:
So now turning to the Wii: Where is the problem? I cannot accept that the difficulty is in finding pools of talent who can make compelling games for the system. These large corporations have solved many previous problems of emerging systems or genres through the judicious application of cash: besides the plastic instrument genre, obvious examples are in the bloom of games following big successes in the suspense horror genre, the console shooter genres (single and multiplayer), the GTA-style open world genre, the 2D and 3D fighter genres, the 2D and 3D platforming genres, and so forth. Are we truly willing to claim that breaking into the Wii- not even in specific genres, just in building a hit of any type- is more difficult than any of those accomplishments? The theory is outrageous.

It may not be as outrageous as you think. I think there's more dynamics going on in the Wii market to make accommodation for than some of the other bandwagons pubs have successfully jumped on. Warning: speculative stuff ahead.

For example, the oft cited aversion of large swathes of the market to anything that's not got the Nintendo name on it. If this is true - I'm not sure if it is, but if it is - that's a big big problem for third parties. We can examine the reasons for it and whose to blame for it, but if that's how the situation is now, that's how it is, the blame for it doesn't really matter. It remains a problem that could be very costly (both in monetary and time investment) to try to correct.

Marketing spend may be another issue. It may be more costly to reach the Wii audience. Being risk averse themselves, this audience may need the 'reassurance' of large high-profile marketing campaigns as Nintendo has weaned them to expect. Now, we can of course argue that the rewards are potentially very rich and they can make that money back and then some. But it may be another extra risk factor...

If I were to characterize the typical constituent of this blue ocean, it seems to me that games are a relatively small part of their lives. They're faddish and quite fickle. They're not looking for big time sinks. They won't 'come to you' looking for stuff. You have to go to them - practically scream at them to get their attention and motivate them to come buy your stuff (as Nintendo does with its heavy marketing). They're aware of the ocean of shit content available and they ignore it, and it's led to a 'dependence' if you like on the Nintendo brand - reinforced also by that Nintendo marketing which I think a lot of owners have come to depend on to inform them about what's worth picking up, what the next 'thing' to buy is. The market - as with the HD market too - has a strong herd mentality, and in Wii's case, its centre of gravity is 'Nintendo', rather than around specific game brands that might come from a variety of publishers.

All of these factors, and probably more, weigh on third party entries in terms of cost/risk/difficulty and so on in trying to engage with this market IMO. They're dynamics, also, that they've probably not got a lot of experience with.

As you rightly point out pubs are quite risk averse. Too averse. That is a fault of the pubs, but I think there are perhaps more risk factors at play here than one might first appreciate. It doesn't mean with the right scale of investment a third party couldn't weather these issues and come out the other side smelling like roses, but I'm just saying there may be more challenges there beyond just re-orientating their approach to the content itself. It's a bigger marketing challenge too.

Evlar said:
despite the customers on the Wii side being under-served, the competition on the HD side fiercer

Two things here.

1) I dunno how underserved this audience is. If it were underserved I doubt the platform would continue to enjoy the success it has.

WE might think looking in 'omg, lol, how can they deal with it', but THEY seem content.

If YOU feel underserved (a general you, not 'you' you Evlar), then it seems you're in a minority that isn't going to be catered to any time soon.

2) Competition in one way is fiercer on the HD systems, but on the other, competition is also fierce on Wii for reasons outlined above. Third parties largely compete amongst themselves on the HD systems for the attention of people who are much more 'engaged' with what's going on in games. On Wii you have to compete with 1) Nintendo, who is so predominant on the platform and so synonymous with the 'wii' identity people hooked onto, 2) stigma re. third party 'shit' (whoever's fault that is, 3) the marketing relationship between Nintendo and the audience and 4) the difficulty/expense of reaching that audience who aren't nearly as engaged or interested in hearing what you have to say unless you ram it down their throats with a high profile campaign. As is, for now, third parties seem happier with the competitive environment of the former (HD) systems rather than the latter kind of environment.

Deku

Banned
jvm said:
Top 20 is up!
top-20-dec-09.png

That's a pretty homogeneous list on the publisher side... excluding Nintendo.

scitek

Leondexter said:
Also, see my post earlier in reference to 3rd party performance on the Wii. They've earned their low numbers. I only feel sorry for the few teams who found success on the Wii and had it ruined by the flood of shit that drove people toward Nintendo's consistent quality.

I remember how stoked I was for Ubisoft's early support of the Wii. Far Cry, Splinter Cell were two of my favorite franchises last generation, and Red Steel looked cool, and I remember feeling so burned when I played them. Red Steel should have been so much better, and the other two were just...yeah. I haven't bought a Ubi game on the Wii since.

EDIT: Should say a Ubi developed game. I did buy No Moe Heroes, and will buy its sequel.:D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Talamius said:
Nintendo is just better. Whining and crying aside they simply own the market.
It's time to form an alliance to fight this many-headed monster before it's too late.

Opiate

Evlar said:
Good post

I don't really disagree with any of this, but it's probably worth pointing out that I intended my analogy to apply to both developers and publishers. Let me elaborate.

Looking at my example plucked from EEDAR, we can see that heavy sequalization on the Wii doesn't seem to be nearly as succesful as it is on the PS3 or 360.

As a well established publisher, this is a problem. EA built their vast empire on yearly sequalization -- Need for Speed, Madden, Fifa, and Medal of Honor are great examples. Which is to say, the exact strategy that built their empire is now hurting them.

That's a very powerful problem: that which is now hurting you was once your strongest trait. People, and organizations like major publishers, are reluctant to change in general. You can imagine how difficult it is to abandon the quality that made you strong in the first place. Even if it's killing you.

I'm not at all exaggerating when I say entire civilizations have died out because of this natural human tendency. So really, I agree that most of these wounds for third parties are self inflicted, but I'd argue that these wounds are also entirely understandable. It's simply very hard to suddenly start thinking differently up and down the entire production process (publishing, development, etc).

scitek

EatChildren said:
A shame, but not a surprising one. Fingers crossed for legs.

Yeah, it is a shame, but it's not a total disappointment, I don't think. It's actually doing close to the same as Homecoming.

Cosmonaut X said:
Under 50k, apparently. While obviously disappointing, consider the LTD sales of Silent Hill: Homecoming leaked earlier this year after around 3-4 months on the market:

360 - 73k
PS3 - 84k

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Leondexter said:
I'd love to dig up the hard numbers for you, but I'm at work. Maybe someone else can. JoshuaJSlone did the analysis, based on total hardware and total software unit sales, which is data that's available from time to time. I believe it was in the NPD thread two months ago, if you'd like to look for it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1957

JoshuaJSlone said:
X360: 0.091 games per week
Wii: 0.091 games per week
PS3: 0.092 games per week

gerg

jvm said:
New image is already being uploaded (I hope!)

EDIT: Aaaaaaand...fixed!

It also seems that you miscounted how many titles Nintendo had in the top 20. You reported seven, but I counted nine.

farnham

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
damn!

3rd parties better get good at making Wii/DS games...
they wont... most of the people said that last year too.. but the third parties just ignored 2008s holidays.. they will ignore 2009 holidays as well..

good for nintendo..though.. they have a near monopoly on the software market on the wii..

scitek

Opiate said:
As a well established publisher, this is a problem. EA built their vast empire on yearly sequalization -- Need for Speed, Madden, Fifa, and Medal of Honor are great examples. Which is to say, the exact strategy that built their empire is now hurting them.

Yeah, I think that's a BIG thing with the Wii audience. If they have one racing game, they don't really see the need for another until a huge difference is shown. It looks to me like, on the Wii--and most likely its successors--publishers need to think about releasing sequels generationally instead of annually like Nintendo does. I know this hurts their bottom line for the time being, and it won't happen because of that, but I honestly think that's the key to succeeding on the Wii. You have to really try hard to introduce something new or else the average newcomer will just see the same thing they already have.

EDIT: I should have said that even though it would hurt their bottom line initially, they would most likely be able to keep their titles at the $50 price point for longer, and less production of new titles would save them money, so they would likely come out ahead after not too long. It's just that a complete change in philosophy's gotta happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
scitek said:
Yeah, it is a shame, but it's not a total disappointment, I don't think. It's actually doing close to the same as Homecoming.
I don't understand how this can be considered a mark against the Wii's ability to sell 'core' games, when the 'core' console focused version did about the same.
The Metacritic scores are only 6 points apart so arguing quality is dubious.
Metacritic
SH:H (360/PS3) 71.5
SH:SM (Wii/PS2?) 77

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jvm said:

Wow, Nintendo took an even bigger dump on everyone else than I thought. I mean, New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart DS came back to kick people's ass. Mario Kart is 4-5 years old and it came back to join the party and whup some ass.

No Sony 1st party games to be found. No GTA: Episodes, no Brutal Legend, no Halo ODST, no Need for Speed Shift, no Dragon Age...goddamn ass whuppin'.

scitek

poppabk said:
I don't understand how this can be considered a mark against the Wii's ability to sell 'core' games, when the 'core' console focused version did about the same.
The Metacritic scores are only 6 points apart so arguing quality is dubious.
Metacritic
SH:H (360/PS3) 71.5
SH:SM (Wii/PS2?) 77

I wasn't saying it was a mark against the Wii's ability to sell Silent Hill games, I was saying it's a mark against Silent Hill's ability to sell Silent Hill games.

obaidr

Banned
coming back to the core-casual discussion. I have read someone saying Halo, GTA IV and MW2 are casual games because they sell to a very big number of consumers. This argument is the same which calls every number #1 artist a popartist making pop music, no matter if it is Eminem, Britney or the Slayers. No these games are absolute core and hardcore games, no matter how many people buy them. Casual games are games which do not need any special gaming experience in my eyes. The games for little kids, soccer moms and grand parents like Wii Sports, Wii Fit or Bejewled. Games which are very simpel and can be played be anyone are casual games in my eyes. How many soccer moms, grandmas or what ever could even handle a FPS with controller? How the hell can Halo or MW2 be a casual game then?

Kintaro said:
Wow, Nintendo took an even bigger dump on everyone else than I thought. I mean, New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart DS came back to kick people's ass. Mario Kart is 4-5 years old and it came back to join the party and whup some ass.

No Sony 1st party games to be found. No GTA: Episodes, no Brutal Legend, no Halo ODST, no Need for Speed Shift, no Dragon Age...goddamn ass whuppin'.

To turn the meme on its head, without numbers for the top 20, I don't think it's safe to say everything outside of the top 20 bombed. There's a world of difference if Just Dance is at 300k vs 100k.

botticus

obaidr said:
coming back to the core-casual discussion. I have read someone saying Halo, GTA IV and MW2 are casual games because they sell to a very big number of consumers. This argument is the same which calls every number #1 artist a popartist making pop music, no matter if it is Eminem, Britney or the Slayers. No these games are absolute core and hardcore games, no matter how many people buy them. Casual games are games which do not need any special gaming experience in my eyes. The games for little kids, soccer moms and grand parents like Wii Sports, Wii Fit or Bejewled. Games which are very simpel and can be played be anyone are casual games in my eyes. How many soccer moms, grandmas or what ever could even handle a FPS with controller? How the hell can Halo or MW2 be a casual game then?
Because back in the day, Madden and Halo players were referred to as casual as that's all they tended to play. They've been upgraded since the Wii brought those players' parents into the mix.

Sipowicz

Banned
i'd just like to point out that silent hill shattered memories was a game released a week before christmas with little fanfare, no web advertisements or "developer diaries" and it's not even exclusive yet it managed to sell 5 times as much as dead space extraction in its opening month

seems to be me people dont like their survival horros turning into arcade games. also konami never threateneded to cut off support, nor did they lie when it came to describing the game.

Cromat

My opinion one the Wii 3rd party games issue is that there aren't many good 3rd party games on Wii because developers don't want to develop for the Wii.
The different economic arguments for and against (3rd party games don't sell well on Wii, Wii has the largest userbase by far) are second place to that.

The teams that made Assasin's Creed/Fallout 3/MW2 didn't make those games for the Wii because they didn't want to, because they want their games to utilize the benefits of the HD consoles (better graphics/sound/physics, larger worlds, better online) and value those benefits over the motion controls of the Wii, in terms of the vision for the game they are making. Since there is still a healthy market on the HD systems, the publishers allow developers to act on their wishes and make their AAA games on the HD systems, and that's how we come to this situation. The Wii at best gets a 2nd grade port or spinoff, that obviously doesn't compare to the 'true' game and so has dissppointing sales.

farnham

Banned
obaidr said:
i think its easier shooting some grunts in Halo then doing a two hour work out in wii fit plus or getting 12 strikes in a row in wii bowling or hitting the food items in wii sports resort archery..

Talamius

farnham said:
i think its easier shooting some grunts in Halo then doing a two hour work out in wii fit plus or getting 12 strikes in a row in wii bowling or hitting the food items in wii sports resort archery..

I'd second this argument and add Wii Music to the mix as possibly the toughest "game" of the generation so far.

farnham

Banned
Cromat said:
My opinion one the Wii 3rd party games issue is that there aren't many good 3rd party games on Wii because developers don't want to develop for the Wii.
The different economic arguments for and against (3rd party games don't sell well on Wii, Wii has the largest userbase by far) are second place to that.

The teams that made Assasin's Creed/Fallout 3/MW2 didn't make those games for the Wii because they didn't want to, because they want their games to utilize the benefits of the HD consoles (better graphics/sound/physics, larger worlds, better online) and value those benefits over the motion controls of the Wii, in terms of the vision for the game they are making. Since there is still a healthy market on the HD systems, the publishers allow developers to act on their wishes and make their AAA games on the HD systems, and that's how we come to this situation. The Wii at best gets a 2nd grade port or spinoff, that obviously doesn't compare to the 'true' game and so has dissppointing sales.
its okay that some teams want to make artistic games on high spec consoles...

but shouldnt UBI or Activision look at ways to get other grunt teams to port some high profile games over or something...? i cant imagine how much ubi and activision in particular lost because they didnt considered assassins creed 2 the wii version (i mean they have a PSP port for christs sake) or modern warfare 2 wii edition..

As said above, I do think there a lot of the software quality discrepancy from third parties boils down to the fact that the more talented teams at these companies want to make 360/PS3 games and not Wii games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sho_Nuff82 said:
To turn the meme on its head, without numbers for the top 20, I don't think it's safe to say everything outside of the top 20 bombed. There's a world of difference if Just Dance is at 300k vs 100k.

Yeah, true. But the fact that Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros DS just Zombie Walked into the Top 20 is wild to me. I'm just having fun.

However, I hate to be "that guy" but perhaps Microsoft and Sony should start talking to each other going into the next console cycle. If all three companies go their own ways next time out (whenever it is), it is going to be bloodshed for both 3rd and 1st parties.

farnham

Banned
Talamius said:
I'd second this argument and add Wii Music to the mix as possibly the toughest "game" of the generation so far.
oh dont come with wii music.. you will get irrational hate..
i love that game.. despite its shortcommings

GitarooMan said:
As said above, I do think there a lot of the software quality discrepancy from third parties boils down to the fact that the more talented teams at these companies want to make 360/PS3 games and not Wii games.

i would argue the quality discrepancy

there were a wide array of great wii games on this year

boy and his blob
rune factory
little king story
house of the dead overkill
arguably madworld
muramasa

are some examples... its just that the publishers had no faith in those games and did not invest in marketing... or the publishers were just too damn small.. but once again.. its stunning how big time publishers completely dropped the ball in picking some of these gems up.. especially ubisoft since they saw reasonable success with no more heroes..

Evlar

Banned
Opiate said:
I don't really disagree with any of this, but it's probably worth pointing out that I intended my analogy to apply to both developers and publishers. Let me elaborate.

Looking at my example plucked from EEDAR, we can see that heavy sequalization on the Wii doesn't seem to be nearly as succesful as it is on the PS3 or 360.

That's a very powerful problem: that which is now hurting you was once your strongest trait. People, and organizations like major publishers, are reluctant to change in general. You can imagine how difficult it is to abandon the quality that made you strong in the first place. Even if it's killing you.

I'm not at all exaggerating when I say entire civilizations have died out because of this natural human tendency. So really, I agree that most of these wounds for third parties are self inflicted, but I'd argue that these wounds are also entirely understandable. It's simply very hard to suddenly start thinking differently up and down the entire production process (publishing, development, etc).
This is a very good point, and illuminates something that I would have liked to discuss in a follow-up post. I do think the third party failures on Wii are largely "disorders of corporate strategy", but that's not the end of the story. It's interesting and informative to determine what those disorders are, and my previous post said nothing about that topic. I had in mind a few possible theories. I hadn't thought of the one you mention, to be honest. It seems plausible and if true has very interesting implications.

Unfortunately I can't carry on the conversation for the next few hours. I'd like to hear more ideas about how the sequel model has conflicted with the Wii market.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Cosmonaut X said:
Under 50k, apparently. While obviously disappointing, consider the LTD sales of Silent Hill: Homecoming leaked earlier this year after around 3-4 months on the market:

360 - 73k
PS3 - 84k

oh wow those are terribly low LTDs for homecoming...

IF SH: SM > dead space extraction then at least that is a small victory haha. :lol

Brofist

farnham said:
Well yeah getting some perfect score or high achievement might be difficult, but are you really going to say Halo is easier to pick up and play for someone who doesn't play video games than Wii Sports?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Leondexter said:
I'd love to dig up the hard numbers for you, but I'm at work. Maybe someone else can. JoshuaJSlone did the analysis, based on total hardware and total software unit sales, which is data that's available from time to time. I believe it was in the NPD thread two months ago, if you'd like to look for it.

Yes, it takes into account the installed base. The stat is, if I remember correctly, that on average, every owner of a console is buying .01 games per month--so 1 game every ten weeks. It was astounding how close the numbers were between all 3 consoles, almost exactly the same number.

No, it didn't account for 1st party vs 3rd party. But honestly, that's a useless stat most of the time. Let say for a moment that 80% of the sales on the 360 were 3rd party games. But 90% of those sales were from Activision and EA. How is that any better for say, Konami or Atlus than 75% of Wii sales going to Nintendo? You're always going to have to deal with the big players, whether it's Nintendo or someone else. Activision and EA might not be used to getting overshadowed, but everyone else should be used to it.

Also, see my post earlier in reference to 3rd party performance on the Wii. They've earned their low numbers. I only feel sorry for the few teams who found success on the Wii and had it ruined by the flood of shit that drove people toward Nintendo's consistent quality.

I've done the same sort of analysis every six months since Wii launch until I got fed up because the answer was always the same.

The method I used was to take:
- Total software units sold in the period, divided by
- mean console ownership over that period in months (which more-or-less comes to the LTD console sales half-way through the period, unless you are doing a calendar year, in which case it approximates to the September figures because of the Christmas uplift ... times the number of months in the period)

You'd get slightly different answers by taking hardware figures at the end of a period, and these would tend to understate the purchasing rate/overstate the gap between purchases, which may be why I get about 9 weeks while Joshua gets about 10.

The answer was always, within margins of error, one game sold per two-and-a-bit months per console. Same for all consoles. It wobbles up and down a bit around Christmas each year but is otherwise remarkably consistent over time as well.

So on average Wii owners buy just as many games for their consoles as do PS3 and 360 owners.

There's just the one caveat I'd add to that. Since (I guess) most Wiis have more than one person playing them, it is possible that each Wii *player* buys fewer games, but that it adds up to the same amount per console.

It seems likely that the constraint on games purchasing is something like disposable income, or available gaming time - rather than the number or quality of games available.

Sipowicz

Banned
one thing to note about casual friendly games wwhich EEDAR pointed out was that the sequels sell like shit compared to the originals, but third parties are too dumb to realise this. see darkside chronicles, raving rabbits, mario and sonic at the olympic games, game party, boom blox etc

motherfuckers dont need more than one of these games. mario kart will never get a sequel on wii as with many others. wii sports only got a sequel because of motion plus.

Cromat

farnham said:
its okay that some teams want to make artistic games on high spec consoles...

but shouldnt UBI or Activision look at ways to get other grunt teams to port some high profile games over or something...? i cant imagine how much ubi and activision in particular lost because they didnt considered assassins creed 2 the wii version (i mean they have a PSP port for christs sake) or modern warfare 2 wii edition..

The grunt teams as you put it will make a second-grade game (just like the PSP Assasin's Creed, or the Wii Call of Duty games) when compared to the 'primary' version of the HD. The game would then sell disappointingly, as it did in the past.

That's the answer to the question "PS2/GC/Xbox had many amazing games, why doesn't the Wii have many?". Back then, the leading, non-grunt teams worked on those systems, the same teams that now work on the HD systems.

No matter how much Nintendo wants it, the Wii does NOT exist in a vacuum. Its games are compared to the games of the HD systems, if not in the eyes of consumers then definately in the eyes of developers. Making PS2 games didn't feel outdated, making Wii games does.

farnham

Banned
kpop100 said:
Well yeah getting some perfect score or high achievement might be difficult, but are you really going to say Halo is easier to pick up and play for someone who doesn't play video games than Wii Sports?

im saying it depends.. nintendo games are usually easier to pick up and play but are harder to master...(not only wii sports but also mario (except the original mario and lost levels), zelda and metroid..)

but that only means that the games are well designed...

Cromat said:
The grunt teams as you put it will make a second-grade game (just like the PSP Assasin's Creed, or the Wii Call of Duty games) when compared to the 'primary' version of the HD. The game would then sell disappointingly, as it did in the past.

That's the answer to the question "PS2/GC/Xbox had many amazing games, why doesn't the Wii have many?". Back then, the leading, non-grunt teams worked on those systems, the same teams that now work on the HD systems.

No matter how much Nintendo wants it, the Wii does NOT exist in a vacuum. Its games are compared to the games of the HD systems, if not in the eyes of consumers then definately in the eyes of developers. Making PS2 games didn't feel outdated, making Wii games does.

the PSP assassins creed game did not score well but many people said that its a good effort.. the wii call of duty games scored very highly.. (reflex got something over 80 in most of the publications and world at war got almost the same score as the HD counterparts) i wouldnt call the latter a second grade game at all..

and uh.. the wii has many amazing games.. many of the leading teams of last gen are working on it.. they are called nintendo EAD, nintendo tokyo, intelligent system and retro

Cromat said:

I don't disagree with any of that, BUT, the same publishers that are having their best teams work on HD games are also publishing low quality Wii games, and then publicly complaining about poor sales, and drawing illogical (ie. stupid) conclusions about Wii owners, etc. That is the problem. I don't care about companies who don't make Wii games. That's their choice. But don't serve up shit on a platter, call it fine cuisine, and then yell at me for eating a Nintendoburger instead of your offering.

Top Bottom