• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

AniHawk

rhfb said:
So what does the ps4 need to do to get back to ps2+ levels? Its obvious sony screwed up big time this go around, but I believe they can turn it around, just don't know exactly what they have to do :/

pagan rituals like nintendo did

DMeisterJ said:
Now back to the question at hand, why does it matter if the game charts considering it already charted, and the bottom game of the top 10 sold 900k? What does the chart position have to matter when the sales are that high?

You honestly think you could tell me with a straight face that GT5's sales in the US thus far are not underwhelming?

rhfb said:
So what does the ps4 need to do to get back to ps2+ levels? Its obvious sony screwed up big time this go around, but I believe they can turn it around, just don't know exactly what they have to do :/

The game has changed so much that I have no idea. I'd hate to be Sony right now. They really should be in 360's seat from "hardcore" success to bringing the next generation of camera gaming but instead...well, we all know their story.

I just think they should drop PS3's price, get some better Move games and advertise the fuck out of their amazing 2011 lineup. Then hope this generation lasts a long time because it's not clear what the next step should be at all.

FrankT

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
What were the total sales for the Wii in 2010 for NPD? I think someone posted earlier that it sold 7.1m total for the year, is that right?

ICallItFutile said:
For realz this time guys.

2010 vs 2009

DS 8,557,500 (-23%)
360 6,764,089 (+42%)
PS3 4,33,500 (-.1%) :lol
Wii 7,019,900 (-27%)

PS3 is the only one not rounded.

LTD

DS 47,284,258
360 25,395,075
PS3 15,462,196
Wii 34,154,281

DMeisterJ

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
You honestly think you could tell me with a straight face that GT5's sales in the US thus far are not underwhelming?

Where have I ever said that they aren't underwhelming?

Fredescu said:
True, I probably could have just picked one at random.

Yeah, I'm sure you could just go into your bookmarks folder full of posts from me and have a ball.

gdt

rhfb said:

So odd you put a sad face at the end :lol.

DMeisterJ

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
You said the game has sold well. When considering how big a franchise GT is for Sony, these sales do not reflect that.

The game has sold well... For a GT game it hasn't. I've said that before in this thread.

DMeisterJ said:
No, my two posts contradict each other because in the one I quoted, I said that GT games sold over time, so it could chart again, but I'd wait and see. In the one the other guy quoted, I said I'd be surprised, but then I said who knows if the game can chart again. Both statements didn't say either way whether I expected it to chart again or not. (which is why I didn't answer).

Now back to the question at hand, why does it matter if the game charts considering it already charted, and the bottom game of the top 10 sold 900k? What does the chart position have to matter when the sales are that high?

Then I feel sad that you need to google search my posts to prove someone wrong on the internet :/
why are you pretending like i'm saying something crazy when you yourself said you'd be 'truly surprised' if it didn't chart this month?

WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? why did you mention chart positions if they don't matter?

go back in time and argue with yourself. if you can't make up your mind i don't see why i should debate whichever point you think you're making at this moment in time. you'll probably join my side of the debate five minutes later.

plasmasd

rhfb said:

Pack in as much power as possible for $299, good launch titles, and no increase in retail game pricing. Probably will have to subsidize console pricing with paid online service. Seems to be working fine for MS, though I personally would not subscribe to either service.

GT5 numbers are at least 25% lower than I hoped. :(

DMeisterJ said:
The game has sold well... For a GT game it hasn't. I've said that before in this thread.

But that's just it. It's all relative. It hasn't sold well for a GT game. And unlike other games it barely increased in December.

Imagine if a new Mario game was released these holidays and sold 500K in December. People would say it didn't sell well. And they'd be right. Same with GT5, and GT5's development budget is substantially bigger.

Your posts keep indicating that nothing is wrong with these sales, when in fact they're notably underwhelming. You keep saying "why does it matter if it didn't chart?" but that's exactly it - it didn't chart because it didn't sell well. And it should be charting because this is Sony's big shot.

Souldriver said:
I'm not saying the above is true, it's just how I perceive things. GT5 underperforms, but it is not a total bomb. Gaf has no mercy for the sales numbers and the people who defend it, because the expectations were build up too high.
not even Sony have tried to put a positive spin on the sales... let's not forget that.

i think people would be best served to bite their tongues about anything other than the series having long legs, and if the game slowly walks its way to GT4 sales figures over time, then they can come back and say i told you so.

so far it has underperformed. Sony know it. NPD know it. deep in their hearts the people defending its performance know it. it might show legs (GT games often do) and go on to great sales... but why the need to put forth a defence that even Sony doesn't attempt... that i don't get.

DMeisterJ said:
Then I feel sad that you need to google search my posts to prove someone wrong on the internet :/
Don't act as if you're too good to argue on the internet and that the people who are serious about it are sad.

You're pretty deeply involved in this thread (26 posts already) which leads me to believe you truly care about sales figures and especially the ones of Sony. You really don't want me to dig up your comments on sales age in the Kinect thread do you? Because even back then they struck me as pretty ironic. But given your posts in this thread, they become truly hilarious.

Sorry to go so hard on you, but your acting as if you don't care and neither should anyone else, fools no one.

Besides that, I do think people are unfairly piling up on you because you don't see GT5 as a total failure, with people digging up old quotes from you and demanding a clarification. Bit too much...

DMeisterJ said:
Where have I ever said that they aren't underwhelming?

Yeah, I'm sure you could just go into your bookmarks folder full of posts from me and have a ball.
Are you for real? I could understand if he dug up posts from years ago or something - but a quick search for you in last NPDs thread when he is directly debating with you is hardly strange, creepy or worthy of insult at all. In fact, I'd say posters who are willing to go so far (far being the negligible effort to google search) make the discussion forum a lot better as it prevents shitty contributors from posting something and then ignoring their previous statements or opinions (not saying that is what you did, I can see what you said in your older posts and see your point). To ridicule on that basis is bullshit and no better than mocking a poster regardless of their argument on the basis of their member status or post count - he made a good point and called you out on some arguably contradictory opinions - suck it up and reply accordingly or ignore the thread/discussion altogether, but don't act like using easy to find evidence in a debate on a discussion forum is in anyway strange.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really glad to see DKCR do so well, deserves each sale it gets.

Metalmurphy said:
Is it just me or did GAF loose it's smilies faces?

ib2zpm.gif

Rainier

_Alkaline_ said:
Your posts keep indicating that nothing is wrong with these sales, when in fact they're notably underwhelming. You keep saying "why does it matter if it didn't chart?" but that's exactly it - it didn't chart because it didn't sell well. And it should be charting because this is Sony's big shot.
Geez man, just let it go, DMeisterJ is actually one of the more reasonable ones over on the Sony side. He's not going to have a meltdown that ends in a ban. Most of those are already on 'vacation'.

Rainier said:
Geez man, just let it go, DMeisterJ is actually one of the more reasonable ones over on the Sony side. He's not going to have a meltdown that ends in a ban. Most of those are already on 'vacation'.

Sorry for bringing logical discussion into the equation.

Rainier said:
Pretty much. DmeisterJ isn't in total denial or anything. He's also saying it underperformed. Whether how much exactly is imho up to personal interpretation.

Souldriver said:
Besides that, I do think people are unfairly piling up on you because you don't see GT5 as a total failure, with people digging up old quotes from you and demanding a clarification. Bit too much...
i don't see it as a total failure. i just don't understand how anyone can claim with a straight face that they don't understand why people think it has underperformed.

I don't understand how someone can say 'I didn't say whether or not I thought it would chart, I'd just said I'd be truly surprised if it didn't,' and expect anyone to think it makes a jot of sense.

when my expectation was something that he himself said he'd be surprised should it not happen, how can he argue with that expectation?

if i'm ridiculing him it's because of that, not because he doesn't think GT5 was a flop, because i don't think it was a flop.

Originally Posted by Sony PR:
Top PlayStation Highlights
- LittleBigPlanet 2 currently has a Metacritic score of 94, which makes it one of the Top 10 PS3 games of all times.
Highlights . . . uh . . . we have game that is coming out that is real good!

Ouch.

Chris R

plasmasd said:
Pack in as much power as possible for $299, good launch titles, and no increase in retail game pricing. Probably will have to subsidize console pricing with paid online service. Seems to be working fine for MS, though I personally would not subscribe to either service.

GT5 numbers are at least 25% lower than I hoped. :(
$299 is too much I think. Make the PS4 just 2x as powerful as the PS3 I say, add in extra memory and whatever flaws make the PS3 that much inferior to the 360 when it comes to multiplat games, make it as big as the wii is now but make it look good, and put it out the door for $199, or $249 with move+games stuff included.

Also make sure that they have a future proof online platform EVERY single game has to meet kinda like the 360 had from the start. Demos for everything, still free basic online but crossgame chat + video chat + full backwards compatibility with every sony console to date, including PSP2.

I guess???

boiled goose

good with gravy
Holy crap are metalmurphy, djmeister, and cakefoo butthurt. Just let it go. Sony's biggest franchise (and one of the biggest franchises for the last two gens and ever) sold less than a lot of new IPs and than other racing games. That is simply disappointing no matter how you slice it. It essentially means this franchise has very little pull outside of the sony loyal fans, which is terrible news for sony.

Metalmurphy said:
It also had a little thing in the title called "Need for Speed".

I really hope this is a joke.

MrDaravon

ShockingAlberto said:
That Sony PR statement is actually kind of depressing.

I just sort of felt bad for the guy that had to write it.

Seriously.

For some reason I'm surprised that Epic Mickey and Donkey Kong did so well, but I guess I shouldn't have been. I am glad to see Need for Speed and Assassin's Creed do so well though, it seemed like they might underperform a bit based on last month. Obligatory lol at GT5, holy christ I don't know what Sony needs to do but they seriously need to do it fast.

Gravijah said:
He sucks at his job. Fire the man!

The gaiety derived from your post exceeded my self-control tolerances, good sir! You are to be applauded for your efforts!

Even the best bullshitters need something to work with. I can only imagine his mentality, sitting at his desk frazzled and hopeless. "Fuck it! LBP got some good reviews. Let's just talk about that and the fact that some Move games exist!"

DarkPanda

rhfb said:

Moneyhat every 3rd party game possible. Ever since MS entered the race, that's the only way to win.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ShockingAlberto said:
That Sony PR statement is actually kind of depressing.

I just sort of felt bad for the guy that had to write it.
Well LBP is looking to be on the top 10 highest rated PS3 games on metacritic.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'll be honest, the DKCR position surprises me, especially with the sales that entails. A lot of people were saying it would be a holiday hit, but I was skeptical. Its definitely close to, if not past 2 million by this point though.

The_Technomancer said:
I'll be honest, the DKCR position surprises me, especially with the sales that entails. A lot of people were saying it would be a holiday hit, but I was skeptical.

In all modesty, I always thought it would be huge. Nintendo just got retro reboots this generation. With NSMB they struck the exact right balance between appealing to nostalgia and keeping things from feeling like a retread. Whilst certainly DK isn't on the same popularity tier as Mario, I just couldn't see it not doing well. People loved Donkey Kong Country.

Mindlog

There are quite a few amusing tidbits in the PR.
Sony said:
The combination of innovative hardware and a relentless line up of blockbuster titles is why the PS3 is perhaps the only console that grows more valuable over time
Really bristling with confidence there. MS is flirting with, 'Year of the 360.' That's never a good move.

Why isn't Microsoft crowing about the ASP? These are the numbers that I need to know.

Top Bottom