• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

For someone who doesn't follow sales age too much. Can someone tell me how much GT5 was expected to sell in order to not be a failure? Was it supposed to sell like 2 million or something? Its getting beat up pretty bad in here.

notworksafe

yellowjacket25 said:
For someone who doesn't follow sales age too much. Can someone tell me how much GT5 was expected to sell in order to not be a failure? Was it supposed to sell like 2 million or something? Its getting beat up pretty bad in here.
I thought I had read that Prologue basically paid for most, if not all, of the development costs of GT5. If that is true, probably doesn't have to blow up super huge to make money...

evolution

Too bad for GT5. If PS3 was as successful as the PS2 it would probably be a different story. I'm sure other publishers are looking at that figure and are adjusting their expectations for their next racing sims.

C4Lukins

So as far as my biggest surprises.

Epic Mickey. I thought that if it had been universally praised that it could be a smash hit, but with the mediocre reviews I was expecting a total bomb. The marketing was great on it though. Gran Turismo 5 is the other big one, but on the opposite side. Not a bomb by any means, but well below what you would expect from the franchise. It is still going to do just fine worldwide, but it does seem that there is some sim racer fatigue out there now that they there are at least a couple of viable alternatives on consoles. Other then that it is all about what I expected outside of NBA2K. It is showing some legs, and EA fucking up so bad has really benefited the series.

Dead Man

I'm kind of glad GT5 was not super successful, maybe it will motivate PD to look at some games that have come out in the last 5 years to see what they are missing, and to hire more staff if they want to model cars with such fidelity.

Cipherr

scitek said:
Congrats to Criterion on cracking the top ten and bringing Hot Pursuit back. It's so pretty I made a video of it.

This doesnt seem to be being discussed much but Im so impressed by this also. Pursuit is kicking fucking ass. I expected much less, what with Blur bricking and all.

Kusagari said:
Those Disney games didn't have the same budget and marketing onslaught Epic Mickey did.

It doesnt matter what kind of qualifiers you try to throw at it. Marketing 'onslaught', whatever, 1.32 million in a single month means big fucking bucks that will bring about some major profit regardless of any marketing budget, and major games are SUPPOSED to get marketing pushes. Kinect got a push too, and its paid off.

apana said:
Epic Mickey does badly: "Told you it was gonna do badly. LOL 3rd party Wii game".
Epic Mickey does well: "It's fucking Mickey Mouse, of course kids will buy it".

Pretty much.

Vinci said:
It's amazing they're replacing the DS. Damn thing contines to sell over 2 million every Christmas and it's being replaced. Unreal.

Yeah its kind of mind blowing. The numbers its doing, and its getting replaced in a few months.

The_Technomancer said:
Honestly if they do bungle the 3DS pricing I think we'll continue to see the DS chart long after this. It might have a shot at the PS2 afterall.

Wait, are we assuming that the DS hasnt nearly equalled or surpassed the PS2 in EU already? Keep the rollover in mind from the DS in Japan and now North America. I think it has passed the PS2 WW LTD by now.

Little Green Yoda said:
So only 11 million before Wii2? :lol
yeah, yeah arbitrary numbers from PR speak

2011 E3 reveal, 2012 release is more and more likely

be interesting to see how MS and Sony react if Nintendo does act first

Honestly, what, 5.5 next year, 4.5 or 4m in 2012, with the successor launching Nov of 2012, the Wii could be damn near at or even achieve the 45 million just as its successor launches if they got with a 2012 release which seems like it would be the sweet spot. One thing for sure, they WILL hit the 45 eventually. Its definitely going to happen.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So Warren Spector, Rare, and Retro finally made it (back) to the top with mascot platformers and waggle. Somehow, I'm okay with that.

Indeed, totally at ease with it, and very happy to see rare have some success, been a while.

soldat7 said:
I'm pretty sure it had more to do with Mickey Mouse than anything the publishers did or didn't do.

Never change GAF.

Atomski

ZZMitch said:
Need for Speed outsolde Gran Turismo?

That is the funniest thing I have seen all day :lol

Don't see how its funny, I figured it was a given. For one its Need for Speed and second.. its on almost every platform.

Gravijah

Atomski said:
Don't see how its funny, I figured it was a given. For one its Need for Speed and second.. its on almost every platform.

Need for Speed is a bigger brand name than Gran Turismo now? Huh.

GloveSlap

Racing game just are not that big in the US anymore, especially simulation ones. Gran Turismo isn't going to change that all by itself even if they didn't mess up the development every step of the way.

tass0

Banned
Remember when I predicted GT5 would sell just about 5 million copies in its lifetime?

Where are the haters now, eh?!

damn. so GT5 is going to fail to reach the numbers of past GT games?

sales seem low, and no, I haven't read the thread (apologies if that's been beaten to death).

All the systems seem to do okay. everyone in their usual position.

markatisu

Damn Sony's pr is just sad. We have a game and its rated good?!?!

I am guessing their basic failure in this gen compared to their competitors must have them baffled from month to month.

Hawk269

WoW. Impressive MS....I work retail and the final 2 weeks of December we were pretty much sold out of all Xbox Hardware...local retailers were in the same boat and it was challenging to find Xbox Hardware in the final week b4 Xmas. I cant imagine how many more they would of sold if they had supply in retail like the PS3 did.

As for GT5...Ummm WOW. Never thought I would see that it would bomb as hard as it is. Dont get me wrong, the numbers are still good overall, but no where close to what Sony was expecting it to be.

Busaiku

Epic Mickey apparently sold more than what either Deus Ex and Invisible War have shipped.
Would that not make it Warren Spector's biggest game ever already?

postaboy

tass0 said:
Remember when I predicted GT5 would sell just about 5 million copies in its lifetime?

Where are the haters now, eh?!

Remember when you predicted Alan Wakes and Too Human would do 3 million + sales?

seady

Surprise at how well the 3rd party Wii games are selling.

Just Dance 2 and Epic Mickey are both good games that are sadly hated by the hardcores.

DR2K

Banned
I like how some people are saying Epic Mickey is a good game because it sold well. Game is awful in every sense of the word.

Zoe

farnham said:
well with the epic mickey money spector might be able to work on games similar to deus ex or thief.

Not if Disney's new direction has anything to say about it.

Top PlayStation Highlights
- LittleBigPlanet 2 currently has a Metacritic score of 94, which makes it one of the Top 10 PS3 games of all times.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/littlebigplanet-2

ib2zpm.gif

L O L

Jonsoncao

Banned
Hawk269 said:
WoW. Impressive MS....I work retail and the final 2 weeks of December we were pretty much sold out of all Xbox Hardware...local retailers were in the same boat and it was challenging to find Xbox Hardware in the final week b4 Xmas. I cant imagine how many more they would of sold if they had supply in retail like the PS3 did.

As for GT5...Ummm WOW. Never thought I would see that it would bomb as hard as it is. Dont get me wrong, the numbers are still good overall, but no where close to what Sony was expecting it to be.

You sure? I had been seeing 1 or 2 xboxes at my local Walmart all the time during the break

seady said:
Surprise at how well the 3rd party Wii games are selling.

Just Dance 2 and Epic Mickey are both good games that are sadly hated by the hardcores.

At least Just Dance 2 is supposed to be good for what it is.

kitch9

Banned
Shurs said:
Keep in mind that they shipped 1.25 million copies to North America and Latin American countries. They sold 960k in the US alone.

They sent 550k copies to Japan and sold 510k in two weeks.

They shipped a total of 5.5 million copies out worldwide, I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'll sell all those copies.

Its fair to say GT5 project did ok when you think Prologue pretty much paid for development.

Is 5.5 Mill bad for GT5 I don't wtf people are on about? Won't PD have made a fortune from that?

The US just doesn't like racing sims it appears of any flavour it appears, which is maybe understandable as they don't tend to follow as many different types of racing as other parts of the world...

Koomaster

DR2K said:
I like how some people are saying Epic Mickey is a good game because it sold well. Game is awful in every sense of the word.
Seriously, it's pretty horrible. Not surprised it sold well, but that doesn't make it a good game. I've been telling everyone I know to avoid it.

Edit: I should mention I got it free as a christmas gift, and I still feel ripped off. I don't even want people to buy this used or when it drops in price. It's just bad.

farnham

Banned
Zoe said:
Not if Disney's new direction has anything to say about it.
at least those sales mean that junction point wont be dissolved any time soon and spector will have chances to make new games

better then the whole ionstorm situation where he made good games but all of them bombed

Top Bottom