• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

gulma1

Neo Member
PS4 and Xbox One up YoY which is good but expected as it is the second year.

I think NPD thread is down YoY, what was last years number (post count)?

ethomaz

Banned
[2007] 360: 9120K
[2015] XB1: 11130K (+22% from 360)
This is a pretty good gap.
Can 360 catch Xbone in 2016?

I do believe Xbone will do less than 360 is H1 but maybe H2 will put it ahead for the year.

360 started to sell ganbusters in US in 2010 when it did 6,764,089.

allan-bh

Not but X1 and PS4 should cover those sales rather easy .
It's not like XBX or GC going to add much more to the total amount in the upcoming years .
So yeah you lose some sales but not by a big amount but it does show there has been no growth and more consolidation .

6th gen sales combined are 72.7m. Not an easy mark to surpass.

Mahonay

Banned
I think NPD thread is down YoY, what was last years number (post count)?
Hahah, well there was nothing nearly as exciting as last year when XB1 had two huge wins in a row.

This year the December NPD numbers were very close to what everyone was predicting.

Raist

Banned
Always forgetting to change something! Thanks.

I saw the post and I have that data as well. I started at 2010 for the comparison because 1. I'm lazy to go back that far, and 2. 2010 is the most recent year that December was a better month than November, period, and that years prior to that, imo, should not be used for this type of analysis because the economy was a different situation pre 2009.

Fair enough.

This is a pretty good gap.
Can 360 catch Xbone in 2016?

I do believe Xbone will do less than 360 is H1 but maybe H2 will put it ahead for the year.

360 started to sell ganbusters in US in 2010 when it did 6,764,089.

Impossible in 2016. Unlikely in 2017. Probably 2018.

Welfare

Btw, my numbers are equal to yours, except for Cube that is 6.73m. What's your source?

I actually can't find it now. I usually have a spreadsheet for the original data with a source then a separate one for separate data use. I must've accidentally deleted the original while reorganizing all my files.

This might take a bit to find. What does your GCN LTD end at?

bitbydeath

That's some Olympic-class reaching, right there.

Common sense really, MS clarified that for a machine to be considered as 'active' it just needs to be turned on and connected to the internet.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-sales-have-hit-at-least-18m-units/0161057

Their is no mention of sold/sold through or any usual terminology that it is in the customers hands and obviously the machines must be tested before being shipped so I would not take that 18m figure for something it is not even being said to be.

allan-bh

I actually can't find it now. I usually have a spreadsheet for the original data with a source then a separate one for separate data use. I must've accidentally deleted the original while reorganizing all my files.

This might take a bit to find. What does your GCN LTD end at?

Data I have is from sonycowboy, it's from launch until january 2005, the rest I added.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No because Sony have historical data across a number of different consoles of selling huge numbers.

Wii was a fad due to the nature of who adopted it, mums, grandparents, families etc.

It was the "in" thing for awhile, the "in" thing only lasts for awhile before the next thing comes along.

Accept it, its fact. Against the data of Nintendo home console sales it was an anomaly, the Wii U sits closer to the established trend, a slowly diminishing home console market for Nintendo.

Pretty much this. Motion controls were dropped with the quickness this gen. It was not even a selling point for Sony, and MSFT learned the hard way with Kinect. Not even Nintendo marketed the motion controls as a selling point for the WiiU.

It was a fun 'fad' when it hit, but people since moved on. It was like the 80's dance/pop music of consoles.

NPD packaged goods unit sell-through data is still very relevant for the thousands of stores throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand that sell video games and video game accessories.

It's also the only way for developers, publishers, and industry analysts to understand the broader landscape of the U.S. video game market because Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo do not share internal digital sell-through data from their online stores.

And even though digital shares have risen (to >20%), NPD Group data still captures the good majority of sales from the video game market.

For that reason, it will continue to hold relevance for quite a while. And even when packaged goods data is no longer relevant in a digital future (which I'm not sure is a certainty due to the mass outrage over Microsoft's attempt at it in 2013), there are numerous other sectors which The NPD Group tracks.

Indeed. NPD tracks toys for example. That's why we know Spidey > Batman and Ironman is quickly catching up to Bats.

NPD will be fine even if all consoles are digital only in the future.

Is XB1 going to win a single month this year? Maybe Gears month, maybe....

Don't think Gears is enough. MS needs a price advantage of at least $50 to win a couple of month, like holiday 2014. But with price parity and the PS4's superior games library (and PSVR at some point), I see almost no chance for XBone.

Best chance for MS w/o price parity is May.

How much of a difference do you all think the $350 price point for PS4 will make during the preseason? How much of a bump did the X1 get over 2014 with the $350 price point last year?

To soon to believe that Sony has holiday 2016 on lock. A lot things can happen like price drop, Slim model...

Microsoft won holiday 2014 and until late october no one would bet on that.

Once Sony match MS i don't see them winning.
MS won 2014 thanks to being over 100 dollars cheaper .

N.Domixis

Banned
To soon to believe that Sony has holiday 2016 on lock. A lot things can happen like price drop, Slim model...

Microsoft won holiday 2014 and until late october no one would bet on that.

Sony by default has the next destiny and cod marketing so that should help hen ever they release.
I wouldnt be surprised if gta6 and RDR sequal are also marketed by sony.

Mahonay

Banned
But that isn't a guarantee. It's too far out to call.
I'd say the odds are strongly with Sony that they'd win again next holiday season, just looking at the current trends.

But yeah, Microsoft could pull off a repeat of 2014 if they did another massive price drop or something.

But that isn't a guarantee. It's too far out to call.

I think it's a guarantee after seeing Nov and Dec sales .
Sony will not let MS get a price advantage on them any more .
The same can be said for MS since they match Sony SW bundle price drop.
To many consoles get sold around that time .

Top Bottom