• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

*Note: Bundled sales are not reflected in the platform rankings.

Always read the fine print.

It still means in terms of established install bases, PS4 being (much?) higher, Star Wars still sold better on Xbox One, which doesn't have to be just ignored. People love to then throw at you "oh, so bundle sales don't count for reasons" argument, which is not even what I'm saying. SW may've sold more on PS4 ultimately in December, and I'm not denying that may be true, but selling better on Xbox One in terms of established install bases is still a fact that you can look at and think about.

Who's Toad? Do you mean

blnvfu4.jpg

I was so tempted to say Todd. Oh so tempted . . .

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
2m Bloodborne seems very reasonable.

Other question I have though... so all these 3DS HW units. Are these just all replacement New 3DS units to old 3DS owners? Sure doesn't seem that all this new 3DS HW is generating much in terms of SW. Or has digital share on 3DS skyrocketed?

Thinking it's the former. Tough to tell.

I don't think it's a dumb question. Nintendo may have marketed it that way, but there are plenty of stories of people desperately trying to find charging cables because they never had a 3DS.

I kind of have to assume they're buying some of the older games (Smash, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon XY & ORAS, etc.) or is that not even happening?

bigedole

Yes like always.

MS PR

"Thanks to our fans, continued support for the most critically-acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history made December 2015 the best month yet for Xbox Live global engagement and Xbox One sales in the U.S. The total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide nearly doubled compared to December 2014 and Xbox One exclusive game sales in the U.S. between July and December 2015 were up 61 percent compared to the same period in 2014. Revenue from Xbox Store's Countdown, the biggest Xbox Store sale ever, broke records with 69 percent growth year-over-year when compared to results from last year's sale. Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015."

They do PR every month... they released it yesterday when the NPD TOP10 arrived.

Just realised how close we got to an epic "Xbox family consoles win NPD" PR from them!

Sterok

2m Bloodborne seems very reasonable.

Other question I have though... so all these 3DS HW units. Are these just all replacement New 3DS units to old 3DS owners? Sure doesn't seem that all this new 3DS HW is generating much in terms of SW. Or has digital share on 3DS skyrocketed?

Thinking it's the former. Tough to tell.
I mean, what are 3DS owners supposed to buy this year? Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter sokd well, but there was nothing big for the rest of the year. Steam bombed, but that's an unappealing game. Yokai and Happy Home Designer might have underperformed, but I wouldn't call them terrible results.

Now if Fire Emblem underperforms, then I'll just give up and admit the 3DS is basically done. But I think it has a bit of life left in it.

I doubt digital sales are great, but yeah we have no way of knowing.

Alrus

Not too bad, I guess. Not great, but considering the type of game and the system it was on... Not sure what they were expecting or wanting.

Opening at over 200k not counting digital (and bundles if there were some in the US, not sure) for a JRPG on the Wii U is pretty amazing these days tbh.

e-gamer

It still means in terms of established install bases, PS4 being (much?) higher, Star Wars still sold better on Xbox One, which doesn't have to be just ignored. People love to then throw at you "oh, so bundle sales don't count for reasons" argument, which is not even what I'm saying. SW may've sold more on PS4 ultimately in December, and I'm not denying that may be true, but selling better on Xbox One in terms of established install bases is still a fact that you can look at and think about.

And there are digital sales on EA Access...

pastrami

Yes like always.

MS PR

"Thanks to our fans, continued support for the most critically-acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history made December 2015 the best month yet for Xbox Live global engagement and Xbox One sales in the U.S. The total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide nearly doubled compared to December 2014 and Xbox One exclusive game sales in the U.S. between July and December 2015 were up 61 percent compared to the same period in 2014. Revenue from Xbox Store's Countdown, the biggest Xbox Store sale ever, broke records with 69 percent growth year-over-year when compared to results from last year's sale. Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015."

They do PR every month... they released it yesterday when the NPD TOP10 arrived.

Is it weird that my eyes just glaze over when reading Microsoft PR now? So many words for so many metrics and caveats for anything and everything that showed signs of growth.

Welfare

Makes me wonder if xbox1 has already peaked.

There was a price drop last year with insane deals with no competition, while this year had less than stellar deals and was price competitive with the PS4 this time around, which had CoD and BF bundles.

Pretty good showing so far. If 2016 has a Slim + $299 SKU for the Xbox One, I think that'll be the peak year.

Granted. So why are so many people buying new 3DS-s?

are they really though? it's down YoY even despite the surge around the New 3DS launch

speaking of which I should put the finishing touches on this:

Monthly 3DS vs PSP comparison chart
Code:
             3DS 2015  PSP 2009  NDS 2009  3DS 2014
     January       74       172       510        97
     February     395       199       588       153
     March        265       168       563       159
     April        116       116      1040       106
     May           97       100       633        97
     June         124*      163       766       152
     July         104       123       539       108
     August        77       140       552        91
     September    123       190       524       140
     October      110*      174       457       138
     November     350       293      1700       515
     December     580       654      3310       810
     Total       2415      2492     11182      2566

3DS finishes down against itself YoY and the PSP

Unknown?

There was a price drop last year with insane deals with no competition, while this year had less than stellar deals and was price competitive with the PS4 this time around, which had CoD and BF bundles.

Pretty good showing so far. If 2016 has a Slim + $299 SKU for the Xbox One, I think that'll be the peak year.
I think Sony will hold off on a slim until MS makes theirs, it would pretty much take all of the wind out of X1's sails if PS4 also gets a new model at the same price.

KingWool

Banned
are they really though? it's down YoY even despite the surge around the New 3DS launch

Code:

One month of DS is higher than the total year of 3DS. Insane

Code:

Right, but when you look at the SW trend, there's really nothing SW propping up to get to that slightly down 2015 number. So it really does look like replacement 3DS' to the established client base, what many people were expecting.

Makes one wonder just how big the decline would have been without the new refresh.

Shenmue

Banned
I think people arguing about TR are neglecting something very important. 1 mil for a game's sales WW in only 2 months would generally be considered a success (less so if the game is a big budget game) in a vacuum. The problem here is due to the long delay, PS4 sales that would have easily doubled that number (probably more like 2-3x the Xbox one numbers) were lost in the present.

By the time ROTTR releases on PS4 it will likely have what, triple the xbox one install base right now? But because of the long delay I'd be surprised if the PS4 ROTTR numbers were even equal to the xbox launch numbers with 1/3 of the install base.

That's why ROTTR needed to overperform on the Xbox One to make up for all of those lost sales. PC I'm not worried about because PC sales performance rarely seem to be affected by release date and its coming out only a couple months after the xbox version.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think Sony will hold off on a slim until MS makes theirs, it would pretty much take all of the wind out of X1's sails if PS4 also gets a new model at the same price.
I would rather think that Sony is waiting for 14nm to be viable with the AMD APU they have, which could be happening now that GlobalFoundries is able to get there via Samsungs Electronics, rather than reacting to something that both of them are investigating regardless because reducing cost is in both their interest.

Welfare

Right, but when you look at the SW trend, there's really nothing SW propping up to get to that slightly down 2015 number. So it really does look like replacement 3DS' to the established client base, what many people were expecting.

Makes one wonder just how big the decline would have been without the new refresh.

We'll see in 2016 I think. After February, the 3DS will be massively behind compared to 2015.

How do Uncharted games do in NA/NPD? I know it puts up amazing numbers WW, but I just want to know if the franchise has any pull here in the states.

Does anyone have a set of data?

allan-bh

I think that Nintendo business in portable arena will basically collapse outside of Japan with NX. Demand for this type of device is falling fast.

I think that Nintendo business in portable arena will basically collapse outside of Japan with NX. Demand for this type of device is falling fast.

Well, if they intended the New 3DS to be a bridge to cover a big gap year between the start of the decline of 3DS and the launch of the NX then mission accomplished perhaps.

But if true it does make it clear that all the enhancements of the New 3DS weren't actually designed to be developed for.

I guess that is one way of looking at it. I mean it is not like the developer of a game can influence mindshare/sales. Right?

With how good H5 is I really just think people are over Halo for the most part. I don't mean to imply it won't still be a viable success but its days of being a titan on the gaming landscape seem to be over. The MP is probably the best its been since H3 for me and even then I find myself playing other stuff and easily forgetting about it.

War has changed.

Bioshocker

I'll give you Halo 5; even though it did underperform for a Halo game, it still did nice numbers. RoTTR though? Its numbers are very low for a big AAA game.

They've sold about the same, haven't they? I'd say they both underperformed. They're both good games as far as I am concerned (especially RotTR) but I think people are tired of Halo , and the holiday exclusivity definately hurt RotTR.

Or gaining marketshare. Nintendo is going to have a problem getting people to buy their console if they can't sell a hype at a reasonable (low) price. Wiiu userbase at current prices is a joke and I would think there are a good amount of displeased customers too.

How do Uncharted games do in NA/NPD? I know it puts up amazing numbers WW, but I just want to know if the franchise has any pull here in the states.

Does anyone have a set of data?

First month sales NPD no bundles .
UC1 117 000
UC2 537,000
UC3 700 000
TLOU 985 000 ( not to certain about this number) .

From Zhuge.

EL75RnA.jpg

This is revenue for physical and digital.

Physical software only (2015):

US: $5.2 billion - [?? units]
Japan: $1.63 billion (190.910 billion yen) - [37 million units]
UK: $1.32 billion (928 million pounds) - [28 million units]

Would be nice if we can get total software units figure for US.

ethomaz

Banned
For these that asked about Sony exclusives sales.

Killzone: Shadow Fall: ~270k debut (November 2013) * ~450k including December 2013
Knack: ~100k debut (November 2013) * ~200k including December 2013
Infamous: Second Son ّ~500k debut (March 2014)
Bloodborne: ~400k debut (March 2015)
MLB 15: The Show: ~250k debut (March 2015)
Until Dawn: ~90k debut (August 2015)

Any other game?

I'm sure LTD sales only Until Dawn tracked below Tomb Raider.

Edit - Added MLB 15: The Show.

RoKKeR

With how good H5 is I really just think people are over Halo for the most part. I don't mean to imply it won't still be a viable success but its days of being a titan on the gaming landscape seem to be over. The MP is probably the best its been since H3 for me and even then I find myself playing other stuff and easily forgetting about it.

War has changed.

Indeed it has. To be fair, the last time Halo dominated the conversation as you'd say I think was in 2007. Yes Reach and 4 were large events and were commercially successful, nothing could quite top Halo 3's level of influence on mindshare. Back then there just weren't as many big franchises vying for attention, and the state of gameplay conventions/norms was different then.

Like you said, the franchise still has a place and can still be a good seller, but it's just not the titan it used to be.

Elfstruck

But the difference between Xbox and PS4 in the U.S is not that big, about ~1.3 million if I'm correct. Besides, shooters always sell better on Xbox, except BOIII I guess.

It feels like 3DS is selling more hardware than software. (has no games).
Replacement could be a reason, maybe also "family sharing", multiple kids, a collection/pool of games, one console per kid.

It just can't be that a Nintendo console has a high digital ratio.

Loudninja

For these that asked about Sony exclusives sales.

Killzone: Shadow Fall: ~270k debut (November 2013)
Knack: ~100k debut (November 2013)
Infamous: Second Son ّ~500k debut (March 2014)
Bloodborne: ~400k debut (March 2015)
Until Dawn: ~90k debut (August 2015)

Any other game?

I'm sure LTD sales only Until Dawn tracked below Tomb Raider.
MLB 15.

Fess

I don't know, I'm surprised to see that the 3DS has done so well, it was a doomed device from day 1 according to most people since the Vita was so much better technically, but Nintendo still managed to turn it around somehow with great software. If the NX handheld can somehow be like the Vita technically while still have all the Nintendo 1st party games that makes 3DS sell so much then I don't see why it would fail. Judging by how Sony just left Vita to die for no reason they won't release a Vita 2 anytime soon either so unless MS steps in the game instead Nintendo will have that market for themselves.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't have the exact number (maybe it was not leaked or I missed) but it was over 200k and less than 270k.

NPD March 2015

1. Battlefield: Hardline > 1 million
2. Bloodborne ~400k
3. Grand Theft Auto V
4. Mario Party 10 < 270k
5. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
6. MLB 15: The Show
7. Minecraft
8. NBA 2K15
9. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
10. Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD > 200k

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Do we have sales of Wii + 360 + PS3 hardware for the same time period of WiiU + XBO + PS4? It should be interesting to see how much of a dropoff there's been, if any.

Top Bottom