• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Cipherr

legend166 said:
RPGs are inherently better on limited hardware because they can't get ruined by long cutscenes and bad VA.

DS and SNES wins.

:lol :lol :lol

Accident said:
http://kotaku.com/5177033/wii-fit-officially-topples-halo-3-in-sales
Npd Group
Wii Fit Officially Topples Halo 3 in Sales

By Brian Crecente, 3:00 PM on Fri Mar 20 2009, 7,628 views

Yesterday's news that Wii Fit continued to ride high on the U.S. video game sales chart last month told only half the story.

I just confirmed with the NPD Group that the fitness title's lifetime sales has topped Halo 3's. As of the end of February Wii Fit has sold 6 million copies in the U.S. while Xbox 360 goliath has moved 5.9 million copies in its life time.

Keep in mind that the $90 Wii Fit launched in the U.S. on May 21 of last year, while Halo 3 hit the Xbox 360 on Sept. 25 of 2007.

With 6 million balance boards out there and a legion of Wii owners, there's got to be an incoming wave of games developed for the new peripheral.

5zdh634.jpg

raYne

Grecco said:
The first one actually sold really well. Mind you 50 was really popular then

Maybe this one should have had Kanye West in it or something
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, the first one *was* a pretty big hit. Somehow.
The irony of course being, that is one is supposedly "good".

Poor 50.. he must be rolling in his money pool.

Don't usually post in these, but SO4's unfortunate (but inevitable) failure brought me in.

It's a shame, really.

I'd like to know what business logic Wada is relying upon to justify not going multiplatform at launch on the past 3 fairly large projects of theirs in this climate.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't know if Wii Fit is as strong as the Halo brand, despite it eclipsing Halo 3 sales. I think people like the idea of losing weight effortlessly more than the actual product (which does require effort). If Nintendo tracked the top 10 most played games it would be interesting to see where Wii Fit would stand. I also wonder if Wii Fit 2: The Fittening would sell as much as the original.

Kenaras

I've heard that the battle system and core gameplay of SO4 are top-notch. I've also heard you can skip the cutscenes, and it will provide you with a summary of what happened in the cutscene so you don't miss anything important. I was considering picking it up when the price dropped, but that video that was posted... holy crap. Even with the ability to skip cutscenes I don't think I could play that.

Aren't private actions the unlockable strange extra cutscenes in SO4? I was under the impression that they weren't part of the main story / game.

Balb

SapientWolf said:
I don't know if Wii Fit is as strong as the Halo brand, despite it eclipsing Halo 3 sales. I think people like the idea of losing weight effortlessly more than the actual product (which does require effort). If Nintendo tracked the top 10 most played games it would be interesting to see where Wii Fit would stand. I also wonder if Wii Fit 2: The Fittening would sell as much as the original.

Wii Fit isn't even meant to be played for more than 30-45 minutes a day. It even explicitly states that I believe.

donny2112

SapientWolf said:
I also wonder if Wii Fit 2: The Fittening would sell as much as the original.

"More Wii Fit"

I don't think they'd turn people off by giving it a number. "More" let's people know that this isn't a replacement for Wii Fit but rather an expansion.

Balb said:
Wii Fit isn't even meant to be played for more than 30-45 minutes a day. It even explicitly states that I believe.

It tells you to take a break after an hour (usually ~45 minutes of clocked time). I think 30 minutes of clocked time is usually best per night to not get burnt out on it. I love the game where you roll the Mii balls around different shaped cutouts to get them to fall to the next level. *so fun* I usually finish off a session with that game. :D

donny2112 said:
"More Wii Fit"

I don't think they'd turn people off by giving it a number. "More" let's people know that this isn't a replacement for Wii Fit but rather an expansion.

It tells you to take a break after an hour (usually ~45 minutes of clocked time). I think 30 minutes of clocked time is usually best per night to not get burnt out on it. I love the game where you roll the Mii balls around different shaped cutouts to get them to fall to the next level. *so fun* I usually finish off a session with that game. :D
I'm thinking "Wii Fit: Aerobics", "Wii Fit: Abs", "Wii Fit: Glutes", and so on.

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm thinking "Wii Fit: Aerobics", "Wii Fit: Abs", "Wii Fit: Glutes", and so on.

They could do that as WiiWare. A retail game should be more well-rounded, in my opinion. The original covered a lot of different areas, so I think a follow-on should attempt to do something similar. Nice ideas! :)

mj1108

SapientWolf said:

WiiFit currently has legs that every publisher wishes their titles had.

Pachael

GreyMatter said:
Don't usually post in these, but SO4's unfortunate (but inevitable) failure brought me in.

It's a shame, really.

I'd like to know what business logic Wada is relying upon to justify not going multiplatform at launch on the past 3 fairly large projects of theirs in this climate.

In the last three games of the series Star Ocean hasn't gone multiplatform (save for the remakes on the PSP), so it's nothing new.

Lightning

Banned
SO4 bombed? :lol

Pretty expected sales all round. I am glad that Sony has stuck to their guns regarding price, despite the sales situation.

GreyMatter said:

Ten-gallon cowboy hats made of money.

mj1108 said:
WiiFit currently has legs that every publisher wishes their titles had.

This is true. However even WiiFit has to admire the legs on MK DS and NSMB.

Also WiiFit has to be crushing Halo 3 world wide if it has already beat it out in the US.

Maybe Nintendo should see if anyone wants to make WiiFit branded Gatorade or similar. :lol

jeremy1456

I secretly wish that for just one month SO4 could have pulled in Wiifit's numbers.

Sigh.

What's next up for JRPGs on the 360? FFXIII?

Lightning said:
SO4 bombed? :lol

Pretty expected sales all round. I am glad that Sony has stuck to their guns regarding price, despite the sales situation.

When your losing money hand over fist it's not exactly a brave move nor do they have many options unless they want to lose even more money.

jeremy1456

Segata Sanshiro said:
If it demonstrates the off-chart legs that the series usually shows (and that SEGA's lightgun games on the Wii have shown), it should end up with a pretty nice total.

I would be surprised if it didn't.

I personally expect 150k in the US when all is said and done. Depending on whether or not the game is released in Japan I predict the game to reach a WW total of around 350k. That would be pretty decent.

AniHawk

jeremy1456 said:

I personally expect 150k in the US when all is said and done. Depending on whether or not the game is released in Japan I predict the game to reach a WW total of around 350k. That would be pretty decent.

150k for Overkill is actually kinda low. I'd say somewhere around 200k for the low end, somewhere around 400k for the high end (in the US only).

MarkusRJR

AniHawk said:
Well, that aint good. Lightgun games have had long games in the past, though, and not just on the Wii. I think Overkill might be too expensive at $50 though. $40's probably the sweet spot.
It's $60 in Canada. :(

botticus

jeremy1456 said:

I think 150k would be the worst selling light gun game on the Wii. I'd expect it to end up somewhere in the high end of Anihawk's range.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Accident said:
http://kotaku.com/5177033/wii-fit-officially-topples-halo-3-in-sales
Npd Group
Wii Fit Officially Topples Halo 3 in Sales

By Brian Crecente, 3:00 PM on Fri Mar 20 2009, 7,628 views

Yesterday's news that Wii Fit continued to ride high on the U.S. video game sales chart last month told only half the story.

I just confirmed with the NPD Group that the fitness title's lifetime sales has topped Halo 3's. As of the end of February Wii Fit has sold 6 million copies in the U.S. while Xbox 360 goliath has moved 5.9 million copies in its life time.

Keep in mind that the $90 Wii Fit launched in the U.S. on May 21 of last year, while Halo 3 hit the Xbox 360 on Sept. 25 of 2007.

With 6 million balance boards out there and a legion of Wii owners, there's got to be an incoming wave of games developed for the new peripheral.
awwwwweessssoooome

jeremy1456

AniHawk said:
150k for Overkill is actually kinda low. I'd say somewhere around 200k for the low end, somewhere around 400k for the high end (in the US only).

What would you predict worldwide? Is the game even being released in Japan?

jeremy1456

Rhazer Fusion said:
Of course. When will Japanese developers get it through their head that X360 gamers do not care for JRPG's? How many bombas will it take?

Mumble mumble
Lost Odyssey
mumble.

Yeah, I realize that was the exception to the rule. I wonder why that is though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jeremy1456 said:
Mumble mumble
Lost Odyssey
mumble.

Yeah, I realize that was the exception to the rule. I wonder why that is though.

It featured some of the best writing in an RPG to date.

jeremy1456

Agent Icebeezy said:
It featured some of the best writing in an RPG to date.

Unfortunately the writing only really shined in the text based portions of the game (Thousand Year Dreams).

I imagine it had more to do with the realistic art style than anything else. Maybe developers SHOULD put JRPGs on the 360, but only dark ones with more realistic designs.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
JRPGs that aren't called Final Fantasy are a niche market in the states and I don't think there's anything that will change that. If they really want to make an RPG that appeals to a bigger audience they need to make changes to the formula.

Firestorm

Did people actually think SO4 would hit top 10? Odd. I'd still like to know how it did though. Could whoever writes the article for Gamasutra or Edge-Online tell us?

Zek said:
JRPGs that aren't called Final Fantasy are a niche market in the states and I don't think there's anything that will change that. If they really want to make an RPG that appeals to a bigger audience they need to make changes to the formula.
Don't forget the JRPGs called Pokeymans and Kingdom Hearts.

jeremy1456

Zek said:

There are several JRPGs that were successful besides Final Fantasy though. Plus there is no single 'formula' anymore.

jeremy1456

Firestorm said:
Did people actually think SO4 would hit top 10? Odd. I'd still like to know how it did though. Could whoever writes the article for Gamasutra or Edge-Online tell us?

I didn't think the overall top 10, but I was sure it would make an appearance on the 360 only top ten.

Who cares? Halo 3 is small fish. That's the past. The competition now is Brain Age, Nintendogs, and NSMB. If all Wii software can do is "best" Halo 3, than Wii is a failure.

jeremy1456 said:
Mumble mumble
Lost Odyssey
mumble.

Fairly large marketing campaign from Microsoft, some great trailers and TV ads, giant FROM THE MAKER OF FINAL FANTASY, THATS RIGHT FINAL FANTASY text on the box, and a damn good game to boot.

Square should start putting from the makers of final fantasy on everything they release even when it's from different teams and just the same publisher, they'd shift more copies.

Firestorm

jeremy1456 said:
I didn't think the overall top 10, but I was sure it would make an appearance on the 360 only top ten.
Yeah, I just saw that we got those numbers. That is a little disappointing. Anyone know if Vesperia hit 360 Top 10? Then again, it only hit about 35k in its first month with another 35k next month iirc. Better than the PS2 Tales titles unlike Star Ocean =/

jeremy1456

APZonerunner said:
Fairly large marketing campaign from Microsoft, some great trailers and TV ads, giant FROM THE MAKER OF FINAL FANTASY, THATS RIGHT FINAL FANTASY text on the box, and a damn good game to boot.

Square should start putting from the makers of final fantasy on everything they release even when it's from different teams and just the same publisher, they'd shift more copies.

Star Ocean 4 has seen a pretty comprehensive ad campaign too.

Did it really say 'from the makers of Final Fantasy' on Lost Odyssey? Really? If so I must have completely overlooked it.

jeremy1456 said:
Star Ocean 4 has seen a pretty comprehensive ad campaign too.

Did it really say 'from the makers of Final Fantasy' on Lost Odyssey? Really? If so I must have completely overlooked it.

Oooh. Not in the US, my mistake. Only in Europe.

lostodyssey.jpg

Top Bottom