• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Vinci

Danish
mujun said:
how can they defend sfiv or mgs4?

gameplay is your answer, pretty obvious imo.

Um ... I'm trying to make this comment make sense in my head and it's simply not happening. Please explain.

You know, saying that SO4 would have done better if it was multiplat is incredibly insulting to PS3 owners. There are so many things freaking wrong with the way SO4 presents itself, xbots should be proud it bombed.

Although I'm sure it didn't actually bomb, but whatever. I'm so disappointed in that game. Star Ocean is fucking cool. The idea behind it is cool. The uncanny valley doll crap with horrendous animation and those freakish voices is not.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow. True Star Ocean Bomba.

Hope Wada learns his lesson and multi-plays this, TLR, and future HD products, and gives the Wii some love.

Loudninja

Son of Godzilla said:
You know, saying that SO4 would have done better if it was multiplat is incredibly insulting to PS3 owners. There are so many things freaking wrong with the way SO4 presents itself, xbots should be proud it bombed.

Although I'm sure it didn't actually bomb, but whatever. I'm so disappointed in that game. Star Ocean is fucking cool. The idea behind it is cool. The uncanny valley doll crap with horrendous animation and those freakish voices is not.

I love the SO game, even SO3 ,so it cant be that bad can it?

Vinci

Danish
Son of Godzilla said:

There's a reason why I seriously love Fire Emblem. Talking portraits annoy me far less than seeing hideous shit like that.

hc2

mujun said:
how can they defend sfiv or mgs4?

gameplay is your answer, pretty obvious imo.

I don't care how good the gameplay is, if a game makes me feel I'm a member of Barney's Playhouse, I'm not buying it. And watching that video made me feel like my testosterone level had dropped by 1/3.
I want a decent story, mature characters, and a good gameplay- like Killzone2, Halo 3, Fallout 3, and so on. If they had put bare breasts in that game, I might play with those. Any hentai games around?

Narcosis

Vinci said:
There's a reason why I seriously love Fire Emblem. Talking portraits annoy me far less than seeing hideous shit like that.

The sad part is, for all the production and promo efforts put into SO4, the best home console JRPG of recent times features those type of talking portraits you mentioned and was low budget enough to be successful without coming anywhere near an NPD chart. And it's VA was 100X better than SO4.

Persona 4: better than any JRPG released on succeeding generation platforms

Vinci

Danish
Narcosis said:
The sad part is, for all the production and promo efforts put into SO4, the best home console JRPG of recent times features those type of talking portraits you mentioned and was low budget enough to be successful without coming anywhere near an NPD chart. And it's VA was 100X better than SO4.

Persona 4: better than any JRPG released on succeeding generation platforms

I'm still trying to find time to be able to buy that damn game and play it. My backlog is enormous at this point. =(

Though I honestly prefer FE games to Persona ones, which might explain why I'm simultaneously playing through Shadow Dragon and Radiant Dawn. :lol

Narcosis

cryptic said:
No, actually, it had all of those. Can you give me your PSN ID so I can see how far you got in it?

wut

People have to post their online tags to prove they played a game they criticize?

:lol

cryptic said:
No, actually, it had all of those. Can you give me your PSN ID so I can see how far you got in it?
Sure: http://www.killzone.com/kz/performance_singleplayerstats.psml?kz_user_id=Textuality (Everything done up to Radec on elite basically)

Good story and mature characters... yeah right. If by mature you mean swearing every two seconds, two forgettable main characters, an utterly hateable one and your character who is utterly devoid of personality. As for the story, give me a break... it's good at the intro and at the end. Complete waste of an excellent universe.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want to argue about it. It's completely off topic for this thread.

mujun

Vinci said:
Um ... I'm trying to make this comment make sense in my head and it's simply not happening. Please explain.

even if a game has a "bad" story it can be worth playing.

i recently played through white knight story and quite a lot of halo wars, in both instances the story had no value to me.

antiloop

Psychotext said:
Sure: http://www.killzone.com/kz/performance_singleplayerstats.psml?kz_user_id=Textuality

Good story and mature characters... yeah right. If by mature you mean swearing every two seconds, two forgettable main characters, an utterly hateable one and your character who is utterly devoid of personality. As for the story, give me a break... it's good at the intro and at the end. Complete waste of an excellent universe.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want to argue about it. It's completely off topic for this thread.

Oscar worthy just like every other shooter out there.

markatisu

Puncture said:
Ok that really does kind of explain the resurgence of TW Wii.

But can anyone explain what the fuck Lego Star Wars is doing there? And so high on the chart? The hell? Its a year old.

Lego Star Wars Wii is $19.99 and constantly sold out at Target and Toys R Us

All the Lego series sell best on Wii (with the exception of Lego Indy which is bundled w/360)

and people who played NASCAR Kart Racing know it's a quality game and it's priced @ $39, VERY smart by EA!

Dirtbag

mujun said:

i recently played through white knight story and quite a lot of halo wars, in both instances the story had no value to me.

I personally don't play games for the story. It's basically a bonus if it has a good one.

My agenda goes:
1).Gameplay (MP 1st), prefer games with some depth
2).Graphics/Atmosphere
3).Uniqueness/Innovation
4)."The Universe"
5).Story

Vinci

Danish
mujun said:

Depends on how much of the game is taken up by the story and how much is dedicated to gameplay. I'll never touch a MGS game again - haven't since the second one - but the majority of its playerbase exists because of its story, not its gameplay. Which is frankly not that damned good.

Street Fighter IV is part of the fighter genre. Most of the time, they needn't have a story at all and people don't really go into them expecting one.

RPGs, however, tend to be story-heavy, with cinematics and the like. If the story blows and takes up a lot of my playtime, I won't ever touch the damn thing even if its gameplay is a gift from the gods.

Of course I'm not everyone. People have different tastes. Just explaining my viewpoint.

Paracelsus

mujun said:

It's because of this way of thinking that Jrpgs are going down. If I want a game with just a good action-based gameplay and nothing else, I get an action game indeed. If they don't know how to provide a decent experience as a whole, they should just stop making arpgs and try making action games, a genre that doesn't require character development, an amazing plot or oscar-worthy cutscenes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cryptic said:
PSN ID: R_e_z

It had one of those. It's story wasn't bad, just not particularly compelling. Saying that KZ2 had mature characters is absurd.

Luckily, it is a military FPS. It didn't strive for anything more than that, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Accident

http://kotaku.com/5177033/wii-fit-officially-topples-halo-3-in-sales
Npd Group
Wii Fit Officially Topples Halo 3 in Sales

By Brian Crecente, 3:00 PM on Fri Mar 20 2009, 7,628 views

Yesterday's news that Wii Fit continued to ride high on the U.S. video game sales chart last month told only half the story.

I just confirmed with the NPD Group that the fitness title's lifetime sales has topped Halo 3's. As of the end of February Wii Fit has sold 6 million copies in the U.S. while Xbox 360 goliath has moved 5.9 million copies in its life time.

Keep in mind that the $90 Wii Fit launched in the U.S. on May 21 of last year, while Halo 3 hit the Xbox 360 on Sept. 25 of 2007.

With 6 million balance boards out there and a legion of Wii owners, there's got to be an incoming wave of games developed for the new peripheral.

Vinci

Danish
Accident said:
Npd Group

Yesterday's news that Wii Fit continued to ride high on the U.S. video game sales chart last month told only half the story.

I just confirmed with the NPD Group that the fitness title's lifetime sales has topped Halo 3's. As of the end of February Wii Fit has sold 6 million copies in the U.S. while Xbox 360 goliath has moved 5.9 million copies in its life time.

Keep in mind that the $90 Wii Fit launched in the U.S. on May 21 of last year, while Halo 3 hit the Xbox 360 on Sept. 25 of 2007.

With 6 million balance boards out there and a legion of Wii owners, there's got to be an incoming wave of games developed for the new peripheral.

Wow. That's ... dayum.

Dirtbag

Accident said:
Npd Group

Dayumn, that needs it own thread.

Dirtbag

I knew Wiifit would be a hit when I saw the reveal, but I really never thought a game with it's own peripheral could do so well

mujun

Vinci said:
Depends on how much of the game is taken up by the story and how much is dedicated to gameplay. I'll never touch a MGS game again - haven't since the second one - but the majority of its playerbase exists because of its story, not its gameplay. Which is frankly not that damned good.

Street Fighter IV is part of the fighter genre. Most of the time, they needn't have a story at all and people don't really go into them expecting one.

RPGs, however, tend to be story-heavy, with cinematics and the like. If the story blows and takes up a lot of my playtime, I won't ever touch the damn thing even if its gameplay is a gift from the gods.

Of course I'm not everyone. People have different tastes. Just explaining my viewpoint.

i hated the story of so4 (and wks while im at it) but both of them (so4 more than wks) had enough gameplay wise to keep me going, im not sure why, maybe it was the mood i was in, maybe it was something else.

eternal sonata on the other hand, i found the story in it so stupid that i gave up after about 10 hours.

Vinci

Danish
mujun said:
i hated the story of so4 (and wks while im at it) but both of them (so4 more than wks) had enough gameplay wise to keep me going, im not sure why, maybe it was the mood i was in, maybe it was something else.

eternal sonata on the other hand, i found the story in it so stupid that i gave up after about 10 hours.

I can respect that; it's just alien to my thinking, which is why I questioned the original comment. To me, games are about gameplay first and foremost - but if the gameplay is mitigated via extensive cutscenes (particularly ones that are utterly horrible), no amount of awesome gameplay can save the game for me. Meanwhile a game with a great story and horrid gameplay will be immediately ignored by me.

I don't play games to watch them, is basically my feeling. Though obviously, there are some who are okay with that.

jeremy1456

Kagari said:
:lol Oh Square...

I didn't think SO4 would have bombed as hard as it did with the amount of ads in print and on TV and the amount of hype it was getting here, heh.

So much for the game selling more in the US than it did in Japan like SO3 did. Maybe if it was multiplat, and had dual audio so people wouldn't have to hear the terrible VA as well as a better marketing push it could have done better... too late for that now though. Square is failing with HD development and releases this generation, that's for sure.

You honestly think dual audio would help sell this game?

:lol

raYne said:
"2 4 days of sales!"

Kidding aside, people expected good sales?

This is America right? :D

Dirtbag said:
I knew Wiifit would be a hit when I saw the reveal, but I really never thought a game with it's own peripheral could do so well

I brought this up a while ago but the moment I realized that we were entering the apocalypse is when I went to help my 65+ year old neighbour move some furniture and she had the Wii fit all set up and ready to go and next to wii fit a tennis racket that she told me was to "help" her swing for wii sports.

jeremy1456

jvm said:
In terms of units, there is a more than factor 4 difference. In terms of dollars, it's even higher.

I almost hate to ask this, but is the PSP software selling 4 times better than the GBA or vice versa?

Nothing would surprise me.

jvm

Gamasutra.
jeremy1456 said:
I almost hate to ask this, but is the PSP software selling 4 times better than the GBA or vice versa?

Nothing would surprise me.
PSP > GBA.

Look, we all know the GBA was a strong system, but at this point it's not even a contest between that and the PSP. As poor as the PSP is doing, it is still moving units.

Dirtbag

BruceLeeRoy said:
This is America right? :D

I brought this up a while ago but the moment I realized that we were entering the apocalypse is when I went to help my 65+ year old neighbour move some furniture and she had the Wii fit all set up and ready to go and next to wii fit a tennis racket that she told me was to "help" her swing for wii sports.

Gaming will seriously never be the same.
This is a defining moment for me.

jeremy1456

jvm said:
PSP > GBA.

Look, we all know the GBA was a strong system, but at this point it's not even a contest between that and the PSP. As poor as the PSP is doing, it is still moving units.

Yeah but you've also got to factor in that the DS plays pretty much all GBA games. Were that not the case then I wouldn't even question PSP sales being stronger.

Grecco

raYne said:
"2 4 days of sales!"

Kidding aside, people expected good sales?

The first one actually sold really well. Mind you 50 was really popular then

Maybe this one should have had Kanye West in it or something

Top Bottom