• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Why are people surprised about Star Ocean? The last one sold like 1.3 million on system with 5 times the install base

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:
You guys really think Star Ocean bombed because of goofy designs?

I think we were simply making fun of it. What you said next -

360 gamers don't care about JRPGs. Get that in your head and shit will be easier to swallow.

- is pretty obvious, at least for me.

Luckyman

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Why are people surprised about Star Ocean? The last one sold like 1.3 million on system with 5 times the install base

Umm

After system has a certain base the numbers don't grow linearily.

raYne

brain_stew said:
Good. How in the hell can people defend this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlN4E-1I80Q

Really now, if the game bombing means ridiculous shit like that is forever left out of games then we should all breath a sigh of relief.
Yea, that VA isn't annoying as hell at all..

DeaconKnowledge said:

360 gamers don't care about JRPGs. Get that in your head and shit will be easier to swallow.
This is the truth and for good reason.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Luckyman said:
Umm

After system has a certain base the numbers don't grow linearily.

The point still stands that the series has never had a history of doing fantastic numbers. This one is no different.

Cipherr

DeaconKnowledge said:
Golf season (read: Tiger) is back. Stands to reason It would do well.

Ok that really does kind of explain the resurgence of TW Wii.

But can anyone explain what the fuck Lego Star Wars is doing there? And so high on the chart? The hell? Its a year old.

Vinci

Danish
Donos said:
:0

this game was on my "need to play 2009" list but... how often does she speak like this ? thats really unbeareble for me.

She tells you about her entire family lineage. Think the Bible with all sorts of 'begets' tossed in, with a mixture of giggles every time she does it.

I know jack-shit about this game other than that horrible video.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
:lol Oh Square...

I didn't think SO4 would have bombed as hard as it did with the amount of ads in print and on TV and the amount of hype it was getting here, heh.

So much for the game selling more in the US than it did in Japan like SO3 did. Maybe if it was multiplat, and had dual audio so people wouldn't have to hear the terrible VA as well as a better marketing push it could have done better... too late for that now though. Square is failing with HD development and releases this generation, that's for sure.

Puncture said:
Ok that really does kind of explain the resurgence of TW Wii.

But can anyone explain what the fuck Lego Star Wars is doing there? And so high on the chart? The hell? Its a year old.
It's good and appeals to the demo. Not much beyond that.

Wii titles tend to hang around forever, not surprising really. At least now we're starting to see it's not restricted to just Nintendo games.

brain_stew said:
Good. How in the hell can people defend this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlN4E-1I80Q

Really now, if the game bombing means ridiculous shit like that is forever left out of games then we should all breath a sigh of relief.

35aoc3m.jpg

Keikoku

Banned
Kagari said:
Maybe if it was multiplat, and had dual audio so people wouldn't have to hear the terrible VA as well as a better marketing push it could have done better...

Yeah right :lol :lol :lol

Sonyfans are really mad at SO4 being a 360 exclusive :D

Alcibiades

On the bright side of that Wii chart:

1. It seems that NASCAR kart game isn't complete shovelware:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/953/953032p1.html

After expecting a rush-job cash-in of a Wii racing game, I was pleasantly surprised that the game within NASCAR Kart Racing was a solid and fun me-too Mario Kart clone. Obviously the choice between the two is a simple one, but I just can't slam NASCAR Kart Racing. It's a good racing game that deserves to be acknowledged as such.

2. Jillian Michaels' Fitness Ultimatum 2009 is crap. Compared to Wii Fit and My Fitness Coach it doesn't compare. BUT at least it's brining in money to the much-needed Majesco. Let's face it, A Boy and His Blob and Major Minor's Majestic March (hardcore niche games with visual appeal closer to Zack and Wiki than the gritty MadWorld) are both destined to bomb - BIG TIME if you ask me (and I hope I'm wrong). At least Majesco is putting these profits to good use on games that would normally never be released.

3. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, games that soccer moms and senior citizens aren't likely to own, are in the Top 10 - meaning there are some "core" gamers out there buying standard games still - it's not just all fitness games.

4. Companies shouldn't be releasing light-gun games at $50. Umbrella Chronicles had an advantage in some people not knowing what type of game it was, being a "test" for more hardcore games on Wii, and being a follow-up to RE4: Wii Edition. Dead Space: Extraction, if EA keeps that $50 price point, is more likely to be received like HOTD: Overkill than MadWorld (which my word-of-mouth accounts seems to be doing better).

5. The travesty that is Chop 'Till You Drop didn't make it.

Yeah, it sucks that Deadly Creatures, Tenchu, and HOTD: Overkill didn't make it, but it's not as bad as the Top 10 being dominated by crap on the level of Gingerbread Man...

Narcosis

OK, as far as the "360 owners don't care about JRPGs", I think Lost Odyssey disproves that as an end-all, be-all analysis of the struggles of recent titles like Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant and SO4. I would agree that JRPGs on the whole aren't nearly as popular on the platform as shooters, action games, racers, sports or WRPGs, but the"bomba" of SO4 and the other games I;ve mentioned I believe is more due to the games themselves. Whether it's mediocre word of mouth or rampant talk of bugs and glitches, or whether it's SO4 and relies on heavy otaku-centric cliches and content (and the "otaku" audience on the whole is in decline in recent times in the uS, as evidenced by the struggles of the anime industry), I don't think the current crop of 360 JRPGs on the whole does any sort of justice to how good the best games in the genre can be.

Keikoku

Banned
This SO4 bitching needs to stop. The game would have been the same bomba on the PS3 in NA. As we are talking about NPD here, I don't see the point saying it's because it's on 360 or more ridiculous, saying that's because the game is bad. If we apply this to KZ2 then it's a shitty game ? :lol

And 360 owners aren't the only ones who doesn't care about JRPGs : I just can't find a JRPG that did well in NA on the PS3/Wii. Actually, 360 is the only system which manage to sell some JRPG in NA (LO ?)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DeaconKnowledge said:

I figured after Lost Odyssey doing well in the US, that other ones would as well... guess I was wrong there.

Vinci

Danish
Keikoku said:
This SO4 bitching needs to stop. The game would have been the same bomba on the PS3 in NA. As we are talking about NPD here, I don't see the point saying it's because it's on 360 or more ridiculous, saying that's because the game is bad. If we apply this to KZ2 then it's a shitty game ? :lol

And 360 owners aren't the only ones who doesn't care about JRPGs : I just can't find a JRPG that did well in NA on the PS3/Wii. Actually, 360 is the only system which manage to sell some JRPG in NA (LO ?)

They do all right on the DS, don't they?

DeaconKnowledge said:

My comments pertain to the US ONLY - The question, then, is whether or not these games would have sold better on the PS3 had the games been multi?

If the poor sales are because they suck or that tastes have changed, then we'd have to conclude that the PS3 versions would have sold just as poorly as the 360 ones. It's been apparent that the 360 SE games have been met with lukewarm reviews and opinions on GAF overall. Would they have been treated the same if they were multi or PS3 exclusives?

If, however, someone thinks that the games would have sold better on PS3 (again, in the US), then my question is why in the heck haven't these mysterious RPG fans bought a 360 for all of these games? If they are single-console, then it would make sense for an RPG fan to purchase the 360 in the first place given what's out there. Or is it that after last gen, most of these mysterious fans are Sony fans first and RPG fans second?

Vinci

Danish
Narcosis said:
What 360 JRPG outside of Lost Odyssey compares to the quality of the DS JRPG library? Fans of the genre know what's good and what's not.

Perhaps that's symptomatic of an inherent issue in the genre though and not so much an indictment of the 360's JRPG library. Perhaps it simply works better on more antiquated hardware.

[Just tossing an idea out there, as I've no idea why there hasn't been many good JRPGs released on consoles this gen.]

Alcibiades

Yeah, let's face it, look at the reviews for JRPG's on XBox 360, nothing seems to have been as well-received as stuff like Fallout 3 and Fable 2.

One thing or another, there seem to be deficiencies in all of them that haven't made any of them "must-own" other than for hardcore fans of the franchises. I myself would wait until I could get them for $20 or $30. Now when a JPRG with 9's and 10's across the board bombs on 360 you can say there is no audience for them. As a JPRG lover I haven't really being impressed big-time by ANY of them (in terms of videos, reviews, impressions, etc...) and they haven't gotten that warm a welcome (Lost Odyssey comes close but even that got panned by some press - like Shane from EGM).

You can see this from the fact that there isn't a consensus #1 JRPG to own yet on 360. When (and if) there is and it's received as a "must-own" you'll see better sales.

TChirath

Neo Member
JRPGs in this generation have been far from perfect (except ToV and VC for what it is). I was a bit disappointed at SO4, but still enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed it much more than White Knight Chronicles at least.

The US audience would buy a mature adult themed/looking JRPG and not the anime crap they continue to throw at us. If I really cared enough I would post pictures of LO compared to the other main characters of these games to show how drastically different the art styles are.

LoL at the JRPG pile-on fest.

I gotta say, just playing the Japanese level on the Simpsons game made me want to stay away from any JRPG.

BTW, that Simpsons game can be found very cheap these days . . . it is not great but worth the less than $10 it costs. The writing in it is worth the price . . . good story, some good jokes.

And it had this amazingly prescient line "This won't happen when Obama is president!" from Carl. (The game came out in October 2007!)

yoopoo

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
The lack HOTD:O in the Wii top 10 is incredibly disheartening. Fuck my fellow Wii owners.
In my defense...I never buy games, I rent em.

But it was an awesome game though :eek:

J-Rzez

Kagari said:
No, I'm just mad at Square for having such horrible output aside from handhelds :/

This is fact. They really really dropped the fucking ball this gen, badly. God knows where FF is, DQ unfortunately hit a handheld, nothing, absolutely nothing on KH's yet outside of that handheld stuff.

Top Bottom