• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

apana said:
lol this is turning into some kind of freaking religion now. You can still play hardcore games on 360, it has almost all of them and with a normal controller. I'm playing Mass Effect right now, it seems to be working properly.

What does that have to do with the future of the software on the platform?

Grecco

Paracelsus said:
In my view, not even if Kinect was a Sony idea it would have worked like it did with X360.

Eh not so sure. Microsoft made sure Kinect would be a success with things like the 500m spent on advertisement, and having Justin beiber plug it in his concerts Months before it came out.

Sony barely advertised the Move controler, and used Kevin butler to do it. A character that is quickly becoming stale.

Its not that sony couldnt have had a succesfull kinect. its that they just didnt want to really. Sony seems scatershot.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, de Blob 2 only had six days. I do wish they had released earlier in the month, going multiplat may have squeezed them in at 10 or 9, and it will probably fly under next months charts as well.

GhaleonEB

Holy hell on the 360 hardware. It's really taken off. I don't even know what to expect - +500k in February is pretty insane. 0_o

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
fernoca said:
Killzone 2 did 323,000 two yars ago in aroudn 3 days.
Some are acting as if they were expecting Killzone 3 to do a million.

PS3 first party-sequel releases, so far has followed similar trends (first games does normal number, second one does similar or slightly better numbers then disappear the following NPD chart: Look at Little Big planet 2 and Uncharted 2 compared to the first games).

So that puts Killzone 3 at around 320-350k units.

Uncharted 2 sold far better than Uncharted 1. First month in particular.

apana said:
lol this is turning into some kind of freaking religion now. You can still play hardcore games on 360, it has almost all of them and with a normal controller. I'm playing Mass Effect right now, it seems to be working properly. Good numbers for Wii I think and Donkey Kong. This all bodes well for Skyward Sword.

This NPD thread is delivering. Even mods go on tilt :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If nothing else, this thread should be far more interesting (read: bigger) than the last NPD thread.

Chrange said:
Exactly. Would people say "hey, pretty good sales" if a major Halo launch landed near the bottom of the next month's NPD charts? Tentpole franchises that sell 'pretty good' are going to get that 'bomb' tag, because they're not put out expecting 'pretty good' sales.

Killzone isn't Halo. That's clear now, but it should've been crystal-clear a month ago, too. If Splinter Cell or Fable landed near the bottom of the top 10 (which isn't "the bottom of the NPD charts, by the way), I would nope no one would be fazed by that. And they shouldn't be fazed by this, either.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
But they don't seem to be trying. They're making sequels to games in saturated genres that barely broke a million units worldwide and didn't affect PS3 hardware sales.

I think their focus is on profitability versus being multimillion sellers in month 1. As what seems to be the case with most PS3 games they just sell steadily over time. I think people are still just a bit queazy over the price of the PS3 regardless of the amount of videogame software and koala tea available.

V_Ben said:
I think Sony need to have a good hard look at Killzone, and whether that is a franchise they want to stick with.
I just savour the mad hype this franchise has had overall and the end results are just bombzone. However, I do not look forward to mad hype about "killzone tech will be applied to a new genre which will rock Ur NutZ". . . ugh I can see it now.

Monty Mole said:
I remember all those articles in 2008 about how the 360 had already peaked and that PS3 was poised to take the crown from the Wii in the long-run.
Isn't "bu-but Yurop!" still the ace in the hole? Or is that just a meme now.

alr1ghtstart said:
I just hope the COD trend ends before next gen.

Why does it matter? If the game's that freaking good, who cares? Let COD continue, let's just hope others stop trying to copy its success and just put out something different.

apana

Valkyr Junkie said:

It wont play Sony first party exclusives regardless of whether or not Kinect existed. It will still get most major third party games.

Flakster99

onipex said:
Well I didn't see the Wii selling that well this month. I wonder if Just Dance is starting to sell systems.

I thought the PS3 would see a sales jump from the KZ3 bundle and the $50 promotional sales.

360 & Kinect sales remaining steady and/or rising due to steady Kinect interest.

And virtually nothing about the Wii was heard, nor discussed. The Wii had no promotions that I am aware of. No big releases I am aware of. It seems to have simply jumped up for the sake of jumping up. Or, due to it's pack-in software. Or, due to Just Move 2. Or, due to it's massive back log of games.

Either way, very healthy console sales all around. No DS sales numbers huh.

360 is such a beast in the US!

Very surprised by Marvel, didn't expect that!

KZ3 bomba, didn't expect that either.

Also Black Ops... For shame US, for shame!

The_Technomancer said:
Hm, de Blob 2 only had six days. I do wish they had released earlier in the month, going multiplat may have squeezed them in at 10 or 9, and it will probably fly under next months charts as well.

It never broke the top 500 on any platform on Amazon.

I know it's not that accurate, but that suggests complete and total bomb.

Kusagari

Leondexter said:
Killzone isn't Halo. That's clear now, but it should've been crystal-clear a month ago, too. If Splinter Cell or Fable landed near the bottom of the top 10 (which isn't "the bottom of the NPD charts, by the way), I would nope no one would be fazed by that. And they shouldn't be fazed by this, either.

The last two Fable's debuted at the top of the charts with over 500k in sales so yes I would be fazed by that.

Averon

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
But they don't seem to be trying. They're making sequels to games in saturated genres that barely broke a million units worldwide and didn't affect PS3 hardware sales.

The only conclusion that can be made is that Sony seems satisfied with their franchises sales regardless of whether they helped PS3 sales or not.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dabanton said:
Why are people sweating CoD? Their are loads of FPS games you guys can play if you find it that offensive.

it infects more FPS games than you would believe.

fernoca

user_nat said:
Uncharted 2 sold far better than Uncharted 1. First month in particular.
That's what I said. ;)
Then it disappeared the next NPD chart from the Top 20. And that was during NPDs that didn't combined sales.

Little Big Planet 2 sold in one NPD what the first one did in 2 NPDs, and disappeared in the next NPD (though LBP2 was tracked in combined NPDs).

So far Killzone 3, just seems to be doing as expected if anything; not better, not as bad as some imply.

kswiston

seady said:
I much prefer last generation's GTA domination than this generation COD domination. That series actually has a soul.

I'm not the biggest COD fan (only played COD4 and BLOPS), but I respect the fact that they are able to keep people playing for so long. Last I saw, COD4 is STILL in the top 10 most played LIVE games, even after 3.5 years. Impressive considering there's been 3 sequels since then. Even WaW, the worst selling of the last 4 games, was in the top 15 most played games.

Compare that to other 10M+ sellers (in the US) this gen. How many people do you think are still playing Wii Play or Guitar Hero 3?

Dedication Through Light said:
I think their focus is on profitability versus being multimillion sellers in month 1. As what seems to be the case with most PS3 games they just sell steadily over time. I think people are still just a bit queazy over the price of the PS3 regardless of the amount of videogame software and koala tea available.

I agree and I don't think people understand. Sony understands they aren't going to catch MS in the US. What's the point of them slashing profits to say they beat them at the very end....when they are selling $400k in February?

The gap worldwide isn't significant enough to do this or to affect developer support and they won't gain any additional support by doing so. Seriously, I thought the PS3 may have been on its way down last year, but if sales like this continue, it has nothing to worry about either.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
schennmu said:
KZ3 bomba, didn't expect that either.

Tell me how has it bombed?, are you comparing it to KZ2 sales?, did you expect it to get in the top 5 of a combined platform chart? since when was Killzone held in such high esteem in terms of it's sales?

Kusagari said:
The last two Fable's debuted at the top of the charts with over 500k in sales so yes I would be fazed by that.

Well, hell. I hope my point isn't lost because of my bad choice of example. Killzone isn't that big, and no one should expect it to become a monster now.

Balb

Watchtower said:
Why does it matter? If the game's that freaking good, who cares? Let COD continue, let's just hope others stop trying to copy its success and just put out something different.

In this industry, everyone follows the leader.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
fernoca said:
That's what I said. ;)
Then it disappeared the next NPD chart from the Top 20. And that was during NPDs that didn't combined sales.

Ah ok.

I just wouldn't consider 2-3x more as "slightly better".

This Killzone 3 bombed stuff it pretty funny to see.

Just because the game is big on the forums doesn't mean it's such a big franchise in the staes, it charted top 10 and people are calling it a bomb without even seeing the actual software sales.

Valkyr Junkie said:

90% of the AAA hardcore games released for the rest of the generation will play just fine on the 360 as well.

szaromir said:
At least COD doesn't control like shit.

Cold blooded.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Leondexter said:
Like what? Call of Duty Kinect? Bring it on.

A. Kinect is pretty much Microsoft's gaming future.

B. Kinect IS a new platform, which you will see tons of support for over the upcoming years, unlike the balance board.

And just in case someone hasn't caught on:

C. Motion Control Gaming is here to stay.... like it or not.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I know it's said every month but wow at Xbox 360, and wow at bomba [insert PS3 exclusive here] (Killzone 3)

Barrett2

I'd love to know the Killzone library of game's budget vs revenue. I can't imagine the series overall is very profitable.

De Blob has to be a disaster; they are advertising the shit out of that game. I see a commercial for it every 5 minutes.

lowrider007 said:
Tell me how has it bombed?, are you comparing it to KZ2 sales?, did you expect it to get in the top 5 of a combined platform chart? since when was Killzone held in such high esteem in terms of it's sales?
You could say it probably hasn't bombed vs it's predecessor... but why judge it differently to any other game? Killzone 2 sold an average amount at best, equalling (or beating those sales slightly) doesn't make Killzone 3 a success suddenly.

That's ignoring the fact that there were only 6.7m PS3s out there in Feburary 2009, vs 11.1m PS3s now.

Paracelsus

Kuroyume said:
That's retarded. In that case KZ2 should have sold 0 copies.

You have to buy said game to witness its suckage. See: Devil May Cry 2 and DMC3 that suffered despite being the better game (more or less like KZ2 and KZ3).

Canova

Banned
upJTboogie said:
This Killzone 3 bombed stuff it pretty funny to see.

Just because the game is big on the forums doesn't mean it's such a big franchise in the staes, it charted top 10 and people are calling it a bomb without even seeing the actual software sales.

it's NPD thread

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It never broke the top 500 on any platform on Amazon.

I know it's not that accurate, but that suggests complete and total bomb.

This reminds me of another series which launched on one platform exclusively and did well, and then became multiplatform and then was milked a bit while the sales dwindled away.

Is de Blob this generation's Viewtiful Joe? D:

Agent X

poppabk said:
I guess the 'hardcore' didn't know or care who Infinity Ward were after all.

Dabanton said:
Which has to have EA and Respawn getting hot under the collar...

How so? I'm sure a lot of gamers out there don't follow developers, or know or care about the people behind their favorite games. As long as Call of Duty can maintain consistently high quality, gamers will be pleased as punch, and there isn't anything EA, Respawn, or anyone can do about that.

In the meantime, EA and Respawn are doing what they have to do. They don't have the Call of Duty name, but they have some of the people that made the magic happen in the first place. They might not be able to bank on an established name to sell games, but they have an opportunity to create new hits instead.

Top Bottom