• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

V_Ben

Banned
EviLore said:
Marvel vs Capcom 3 -- 790.2K
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.
Damn, that is close.

Elios83

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Is Killzone 3 without the hardware bundle?

Carl

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Oh look guys, Killzone 3 outside Killzone 2 in the first month!

Killzone 3 still a bomba though right?

tzare

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
But they don't seem to be trying. They're making sequels to games in saturated genres that barely broke a million units worldwide and didn't affect PS3 hardware sales.
well, they need to be profitable first, and they have brought a lot of new IPs this generation and they try to sell more games , were the money is usually, more than in the HW itself.
Sony may not have a COD, but they have 4-5 ips that sell well above a million units each (GT,Uncharted, KZ, GoW, Motorstorm) and that may not sell lots of hw when those launch but help steady sells WW (and even in the US, PS3 is always selling not as 360 but keeps a decent pace). We must consider PS3 is still the most expensive of all 3 consoles.

I think they are trying, but i guess people expect dropping price (despite that means losing money probably ) or keep making new IPs that may not guarantee what established ones sell and that use resources that can be used on those already 'secured'

Killzone needs a reboot. Its not going to sell millions in its current state. They really need to get rid of the name also.
that is not a reboot, is a new IP :D

DEADEVIL

Alot of speculation about K3 numbers. IMO metacritic hurt the buzz more than anything. If the early reviews would have been like the hyped up reviews from K2, then we'd be seeing entirely different numbers. But 6 days is not the complete verdict on how it did.

Secondly, sharing press + launch day with Bulletstorm didn't help as well. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY had the balls to launch against Halo Reach and Black Ops. The fact, that Bulletstorn actually garned some pretty good reviews and buzz was pretty telling of the K3 situation.

With that said, the game may still pull out some good worldwide numbers. But, it's clear that it won't do Gears 3 September numbers and surely not UC3 in November.

The sleepers are Dead Space 2 and NBA 2K11 still charting..

Flakster99

A few thoughts.

Seeing the sales disparity between CoD: BO and Killzone 3, I wonder if Sony as a 1st/2nd party are feeling the pressure and perhaps some disatisfaction they cannot compete from a sales perspective with 3rd parties when similar software is released.

Similar to 3rd parties' thoughts about their software not only being outsold, but not as popular as Nintendo's efforts on Nintendo hardware. Of course, there are many other factors at play why 3rd parties feel this way towards Nintendo, but I digress.

thuway

Kung Fu Grip said:
Killzone needs a reboot. Its not going to sell millions in its current state. They really need to get rid of the name also.

Making a sequel to any game (Uncharted barred) is usually a recipe for disaster. Most of my friends were lost as to why pick up the 3rd Killzone when they haven't played 1 or 2.

Pooya

nothing new, here are the PR responses of MS and Nintendo, untouched! in case someone wants them

Nintendo said:
Nintendo’s Wii™ console has crossed the 35 million sales mark in the United States, according to the NPD Group. More than 454,000 Wii consoles sold in February to put Wii across the 35 million mark faster than any other console in U.S. history.

February proved to be a notable month for Nintendo software as well. Not only was Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft the No. 1 best-selling game of the month with more than 554,000 sold, but four Nintendo games reached new sales milestones. Donkey Kong Country™ Returns for the Wii console, which launched in November 2010, crossed the 2 million mark in February, while New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii, which launched in November 2009, just crossed the 8 million sales mark.

On the portable side, the Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version game for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems launched in March 2010 and crossed the 2 million sales mark in February, while the New Super Mario Bros. game, which launched in May 2006, just passed 9 million in sales. These milestones further demonstrate the “evergreen” nature of games that play on Nintendo systems.

Microsoft said:
“February was the biggest non-holiday month of console sales in the U.S. in the history of the Xbox, according to NPD. For the second month in a row, Xbox 360 was the number one console, maintaining its lead in the U.S. as the top selling console in 2011,”

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Carl said:
Oh look guys, Killzone 3 outside Killzone 2 in the first month!

Killzone 3 still a bomba though right?
Killzone 2's first month was actually 323,000, so Killzone 3 sold over 40K less.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Go go MvC 3!

VerTiGo

Banned
Marvel Vs. Capcom's performance is impressive. I expect it to be a huge success ultimately thanks to Capcom's current brand strength and Marvel taking over the movie industry. Good Job Capcom. Best selling fighter of the gen, I guarantee it.

Elios83

EviLore said:
Killzone 3: includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware

Thanks, so it outsold Bulletstorm and definetly passed 300k considering the 450k PS3 sold.

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Not looking too good for KZ3 or BS....

zero_suit

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Nintendo, this is what happens when you're complacent for too long.

Yet it's only 10 million units away from the PS2 in U.S., and it won the console war ages ago.

Plus, the Wii went UP YOY.

thuway said:
Making a sequel to any game (Uncharted barred) is usually a recipe for disaster. Most of my friends were lost as to why pick up the 3rd Killzone when they haven't played 1 or 2.

That, and the 4.5hr campaign mode, caused me to cancel the preorder. The cinmatics looked amazing, though I didnt want to have to rush through 1 and 2 in one month to get the game. Though with that, arent they done with the Killzone series?

thuway

Flakster99 said:
A few thoughts.

Seeing the sales disparity between CoD: BO and Killzone 3, I wonder if Sony as a 1st/2nd party are feeling the pressure and perhaps some disatisfaction they cannot compete from a sales perspective with 3rd parties when similar software is released.

Similar to 3rd parties' thoughts about their software not only being outsold, but not as popular as Nintendo's efforts. Of course, there are many other factors at play why 3rd parties feel this way towards Nintendo, but I digress.

This should tell Sony one thing, start working on next-gen- NOW. This generation they screwed themselves over by launching late with just about everything.

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Those are some terrible numbers for KZ3 and BS.

Averon

Bullet Storm only did 285,000 across three platforms?
Add the hw bundles and KZ3 definitely did better than KZ2 in it's opening month.

MisterHero

I for one am shocked that motion controls and approachable games have such massive appeal

completely and utterly shocked

not really

thuway

Elios83 said:
Thanks, so it outsold Bulletstorm and definetly passed 300k considering the 450k PS3 sold.

Yeah, I can imagine alot of people purchasing the game just for the pack-in. Two existing friends who already own PS3s bought a slim that came with this.

kitzkozan

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Awesome to see. :] Less than vanilla Street fighter IV,but it was to be expected given the weaker brand.Numbers probably aren't so good in Europe as MvC is mostly a well known entity in the US.I predict 2+ million sold worldwide,but not so close to SFIV.

The new Mortal Kombat should easily outsell it in April...

legend166 said:
What's most interesting is that the 360/Kinect success is seemingly having no impact on the Wii or Wii software.

I don't get it.

I do. It's quite simple. I've said it earlier. Half or more of the Kinect buyers are "core" gamers.

I know it sounds crazy, but I believed this before launch. Early adopters of anything are always videogame enthusiasts first. There's certainly a mix of casuals, but core gamers care about Kinect. Don't let GAF fool you. WE ARE ON GAF!

We may have been outcasted to discussing, reading and getting our news all in that one big Kinect thread....but we've been here all along;)

Hi. My name's Watchtower, and I like Kinect. I have a problem.

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

O_0 at Marvel, gg Capcom.

KZ2 3 days > KZ3 week

Cruzader said:
Erm, the true bomb is Move. Maybe it was obvious from few months ago but that thing is tanking.

Props to MS for supporting their devices unlike idiot, can't market shit, Sony. Lol

Cruzader
(Today, 01:08 AM)
Reply | Quote

FrankT

Megadragon15 said:
Those are some terrible numbers for KZ3 and BS.

I would have to agree.

Anyhow, not sure how MS has done it, but 14 months YoY gains even without a price drop eh I don't know. Heck they shouldn't be first with the price cut this summer they should be last this fall.

Barrett2

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Those Bulletstorn #s don't include Steam, right?

Still, that aint good. That's horrible. :(

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Averon said:
Bullet Storm only did 285,000 across three platforms?
Add the hw bundles and KZ3 definitely did better than KZ2 in it's opening month.

Yes, if KZ3 is a bomba then I dont't know what BS is

GeoramA

So shooters and fighters are pretty popular here...

Great 360 numbers, been thinking about getting one soon. Not for Kinect of course, but for all the XBLA games that will never see the light of day on PSN. I'd like to own all 3 systems by the end of this gen.

Elios83

30SomethingGamer said:
i dont think Sony is even gonna release its numbers.

Why, they had a great month with a 25% growth? They usually comment even when they can only come up with the ecosystem bullshit LOL LOL

Kafel

Banned
2 days of tracking for BulletStorm, 3 for Killzone 3.

I can't see any of them in the top 10 next month though.

daebo

EviLore said:
Bulletstorm -- 285.6K
Killzone 3 -- 279.9K

Good.

And I can see why Cliffy a little disappointed with dicktits. Not sure if a game like that has legs and needs to sell a lot initially...

UberTag

The best news to come out of this thread is that the "Your Mom Hates This" campaign has been a huge success and Dead Space is now a fully realized successful horror franchise.
It's a good thing too considering what happened to Resident Evil...

Marvel VS Capcom 3 at #2 is kind of surprising. I knew it'd be top 10 but not that high.

Which means that there will probably be a Super MvC3 or MvC3 EX or something, which is good, since having more characters and stage is always a good thing!

Black Ops is just insane! We need more maps though.

And next month will be Pokemon Obviously. That could be pretty huge!

No Tactics Ogre. :(

Top Bottom