• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Goes to show you what the difference getting marketing support from Nintendo does for you. SSF4 did much better and RER has a higher install base and a much bigger budget in an arguably more popular franchise.

SSF4 was also the best launch game available. Just sayin'. Also it's not rated M.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure that game was massively overshipped.

Erethian

Did anyone expect Tales NOT to bomb? It was under-shipped, and the franchise isn't even that big here anyway.

Someone can probably correct me but aside from Symphonia each entry in the series has struggled to pass 100k in LTD sales, much less launch month sales.

I mean the games still bomb, but not in a 'sold way below reasonable expectations' kind of way.

Synless

I think that's a good figure for Twisted Metal. Obviously it isn't blow-the-doors-off amazing, but it's about 4 times what Warhawk debuted with. Although TM has a single player mode, I think that it's a pretty good figure for a mid-tier multiplayer-focused franchise. It should be enough to sustain a community. Good job to the team and to Sony, because I think this is about the best case sort of scenario that you can have for a mid-tier franchise. Comparable, as well, to Heavy Rain's first month sales amongst current-gen SCE stuff.

Yeah, but Warhawk was a new series with a much smaller console user base at the time. I think that's kind of a weak comparison.

Anth0ny

And now the train wreck is verified.

Revelations under-performed, and possibly bombed. I'm actually somewhat shocked.

How well did people actually expect Revelations to do? How large is the market for M rated portable games?

Then again, it's doing pretty well in Japan.

fernoca

Shit RE.. goddamn. Nintendo is poison for interesting 3rd party games. :S
How it is Nintendo's fault in any case?
They do help here and there to promote games; but they're not supposed to promote every one of the games.
Heck, Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS, worldwide did nearly as much as the 360 and PS3 versions combined. So seems the poison here is Capcom, more than Nintendo. Since it was Capcom the one hyping Operation Raccoon City since last year (then delay it) with virals sites and what not; while Revelations info usually came...from Famitsu articles, and it's in Japan were it seems to be doing quite well.

Oh and one viral video. :p

That doesn't seem to gel with what they've said about it elsewhere, like the Iwata Asks article on the game:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/creators/8/5
Suzuki: Okay. Like we just discussed, we didn't pay much attention to the fact that it was for a handheld. We just made a full-on Resident Evil game. As part of the game's new essence, I tried to make music that would allow the players to immerse themselves in the game and to make tracks that would stick with them. I hope that as players enjoy the game they will pay attention to the music, but also to the sound effects.
Hori: We tried to make graphics like for a home console game rather than a handheld, so I hope people will enjoy that. And, when it came to Raid Mode, we fine-tuned it to just the right koshi—sorry, that's our own in-house jargon—so please enjoy that.
And most damning:
Kawata: Maybe I shouldn't say this, but looking at the finished game makes me think why we didn't slap a number on the title!! It's a true-as-can-be Resident Evil game from head to toe, so please enjoy it.

Owzers

I really really want to play Revelations.

I really really don't want a 3DS. Sorry Capcom :(

I wouldn't be surprised if a Vita version is teased at the Sony thing tmw, but if it sticks to 3ds exclusively, one day i'll play it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't see how that isn't disappointing for Revelations. US and global sales are weak, IMO.

Basch

I doubt Namco shipped anymore than 100K for Tales. Low expectations...

.....realistic expectations. :'(

donny2112

care to hint which handheld game sold most? UC M3DL MK7?

We know SM3DL and MK7 were both over 100K, so it's very reasonable to assume at least one of them was over Uncharted. Not that it matters much. As someone else said, this is all well below for NDS seemed to often do in a month. We'll see if things pick up over the year in the handheld arena.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uncharted hitting 100k in 11/4 days sure looks like a lot more impressive when Revelations couldn't do it for the entire month. Either way its all doomed :(

Truth101

Banned
I don't see how that isn't disappointing for Revelations. US and global sales are weak, IMO.

European guys have said it was under-shipped to start and hasn't gotten a really strong advertisement push. DOn't know if this is the case for the US or not though.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not too surprised at the Vita sales. Yeah it's only tracked a few days but I and many others kept wondering where the hell the ads were. They didn't really start until right around launch, and for something this big and ambitious you need to be hyping it for at least a month prior.

And of course they need to be effective ads. Not some shooter that looks like it's running at 5fps and advertising 3G online gaming. The MLB ad was a good one since it showed off ps3-vita cooperation.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
And the best sold psv game was 'just passed' 100k, others < 50k.

So uncharted vita >100k. That's almost a 50% attach rate. Very good.

Top 20 >100k (?)

Damn @ everything else at less then < 50k considering it was a heavy western-themed launched line-up and seemed to have a heavy attach rate. Though I guess only 225k units would explain that.

We know SM3DL and MK7 were both over 100K, so it's very reasonable to assume one of them was over Uncharted. Not that it matters much. As someone else said, this is all well below for NDS seemed to often do in a month. We'll see if things pick up over the year in the handheld arena.

things will we should hope pick up when there are more permanent high selling games, the ds didnt do it off the back of 2 games it did it off the back of loads but did take a year or 2 to get them

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, but Warhawk was a new series with a massively smaller user base at the time. I think that's kind of a weak comparison.

Well, I made the Warhawk comparison as a means of pointing out that the figures likely ensure a pretty vibrant online multiplayer community, which is really what the game needs, rather than to imply that both franchises were as a whole equal.

Personally, and people can dig up my posts before release, I wouldn't have expected TM to display significant growth or behave like a strong veteran IP. TMB did a hair under a million lifetime in the US, I'd expect TM to do less than that given that it's been a decade and so I don't feel the brand has much cachet and the overall scope of the project this time around seems significantly lower than previous installments. Given the genre, 200k puts it on track to do 500k+ lifetime, which is a pretty good figure. I expected it to basically behave like a mid-tier IP would, which is what I think it did.

Synless

Pretty sure there was a previous Warhawk game on the PS1.

Yeah, but it was an entirely different game that wasnt lighting the charts on fire, the average gamer likely has no idea there was ever another Warhawk. Twisted metal on the other hand...

Saying Tales bombed would imply Namco shipped enough units for it to bomb, it's sold out everywhere, even if it sold 100% of it's shipping it would probably only have sold 100k at max.

Indeed. Not really surprising though considering it seemed to have low shipments and Capcom basically sent it out to die, not bothering to really advertise it at all and instead opting to promote Raccoon City and even RE6 around its time of launch instead, meaning no one was really told that Revelations even existed and those who were looking for a game like Revelations would have likely held off for Raccoon City or RE6 instead. Very disappointing, but with the way Capcom handled Revelations launch, I can't say that I'm entirely surprised, though am definitely confused if they believe what they said and do feel that Revelations is a main entry. Should have left more space between it and Raccoon City so they're advertising campaigns didn't entirely overlap with each other and that wouldn't have been as much of a problem.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
European guys have said it was under-shipped to start and hasn't gotten a really strong advertisement push. DOn't know if this is the case for the US or not though.

I don't feel this really excuses anything though. Why was it undershipped? Did retailers not believe in it? If so, why? Will it recover? Will someone else take a chance given "undershipping" risk?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It's hard to have a point of comparison because it's clearly more significant than previous spinoffs or ports and less significant than Resident Evil 6 will be, but lacking any point of comparison, I agree with your assessment. I'd expect global performance to at least match RE:UC, and it doesn't feel like it's going to get there.

Boney

Banned
creamsugar baby can you at least tell me rhythm heaven did over 40k

I don't feel this really excuses anything though. Why was it undershipped? Did retailers not believe in it? If so, why? Will it recover? Will someone else take a chance given "undershipping" risk?

not that I'm defending the numbers, but didn't even Capcom put it into it's fiscal year report as an expected bigger seller?

So in order of not believing in it it's like Capcom -> Retailers -> Costumers

Because it didn't have any locked DLC Capcom could sell

Metallix87

Capcom would rather push their bigger console titles, it seems. They sent this out to die.

Top Bottom