• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think Vita did okay, especially considering it was mainly 4 days. I think the only reason anyone could have expected more is if they thought it was going to do better here than it did in Japan at launch, but it's a different market. If March is about the same or worse though things are going to start looking bad.

Revelations is a complete mega bomba if it really didn't reach 100k though. I don't think there are many other 3rd party games on 3DS that will chart better than a game pushed as heavily as this was, except maybe licensed games and Kingdom Hearts (which has tons of Disney licenses anyway). If MH3G were brought here as is, without online and on a handheld, would there be a much larger market for it? Would it even sell as well as Tri did on Wii?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Skimmed the thread but didn't see this posted. No idea how reliable this is, but John Riccardi re-tweeted this a couple of hours ago:

The source account is listed as the senior US Editor for rpgsite.com, which I'm not familiar with at all. Based on some of the math I saw in the thread that seems like it would be in the ballpark though (didn't someone figure that it couldn't have been more than 440k between 360/PS3 combined?).

The source account was Kagari, and she's already posted a bunch in the thread.

SykoTech

I agree that it's disappointing, but it's a little unfair to compare it to a console game that will be appearing on two well established systems.

Eh, I don't think so. 3DLand and Mario Kart did excellent regardless of the 3DS being "unestablished". Not saying that I expected Mario numbers, but Revelations should have performed well despite how new the platform was if the audience was there.

Reminds me of GTA: Chinatown Wars on the DS. Highly popular brand and great reviews, but it bombed like crazy....then bombed again on the PSP. I just don't think brands like these can thrive very well on handhelds. Then again, I think the first few GTAs on the PSP did alright. But that's about it.

I'm inclined to believe RE Revelations was undershipped. I pre-ordered it from amazon and I did not get my copy shipped at release date. Took forever for them to get restocked (with the fixed cover). Then again that is anecdotal evidence.

I had to go to multiple gamestops to find a copy on launch day. A lot of stores only got enough to fulfill preorders. Its been a widely reported issue in the official thread.

3ds sales seem pretty meh to me. Or is it just me?

360 doing its thing and its interesting seeing PS3 not that far behind this time.

Near 50% of these vita owners got Uncharted and it was 50 bucks? whoa

olimpia84

Why did the 3DS get a 53% increase? Revelations was the biggest title released for it and even then, it was under shipped and didn't sell well.

MrDaravon

The source account was Kagari, and she's already posted a bunch in the thread.

Ah, didn't know that was her twitter account then. Then is the 340k number not accurate? I didn't see it in the OP or mentioned specifically anywhere when I looked through the thread (admittedly pretty quickly).

Eh, I don't think so. 3DLand and Mario Kart did excellent regardless of the 3DS being "unestablished". Not saying that I expected Mario numbers, but Revelations should have performed well despite how new the platform was if the audience was there.

Reminds me of GTA: Chinatown Wars on the DS. Highly popular brand and great reviews, but it bombed like crazy....then bombed again on the PSP. I just don't think brands like these can thrive very well on handhelds. Then again, I think the first few GTAs on the PSP did alright. But that's about it.

What confuses me is that alot of Nintendo fans claim that people don't want console styled experiences on handhelds, but then blame marketing when console styled games don't do well....

UberTag

Why did the 3DS get a 53% increase? Revelations was the biggest title released for it and even then, it was under shipped and didn't sell well.
Dude... the system is now in pink. Girls like pink things.

13963896.jpg

Everything is up a good bit from last month

January is the hangover month from holiday splurging = low terrible numbers
February is the start of tax returns = Improved sales

Truth101

Banned
What confuses me is that alot of Nintendo fans claim that people don't want console styled experiences on handhelds, but then blame marketing when console styled games don't do well....

RE:R is very much a hand-held experience, tailored for hand-helds. It's different than say a full console game on a portable.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Pink 3DS plus a temporary $20 price drop. Also RE:R coupled with large increase for every hardware this month.

UberTag

Pink 3DS plus a temporary $20 price drop. Also RE:R coupled with large increase for every hardware this month.
RE:R didn't help squat. Pink system should take all of the credit here.

No but if I were to make an educated guess... 62/38 based on FF13's performance.
I've got to think it's even more pronounced now. Somewhere in the area of 70/30 or even more drastic than that.

Xbox gamers did not take to the Final Fantasy brand.
Square Enix won't even come close to doing Lost Odyssey type numbers in North America with XIII-2.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Damn that is horrible sales for Final Fantasy XIII-2.

The Final Fantasy brand is tarnished all over the world, SE better step it up and make sure that XV is a good game.

Pimpbaa

Probably because it wasn't the type of GTA they wanted. Chinatown Wars felt dated on the PSP compared to Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. If they were to do a San Andreas Stories on 3DS or Vita, that would undoubtedly sell considerably better than Chinatown Wars.

gkryhewy

RE:R didn't help squat. Pink system should take all of the credit here.

I've got to think it's even more pronounced now. Something in the vein of 70/30 or even more drastic than that.

Xbox gamers did not take to the Final Fantasy brand.
Square Enix won't even come close to doing Lost Odyssey type numbers in North America with XIII-2.

PS3 owners didn't take to the Final Fantasy brand either. At least the 360 version isn't gimped this time.

1-D_FTW

Weren't people saying that this was an incredible launch lineup?

That's what people say at every launch. Amazing line-up. Then the sales numbers come out and they blame the line-up. Although all launch line-ups suck, so the second part is universally true.

ElNino

eh, Uncharted is "the" PSV launch game, similar to SSFIV for 3DS. Good, but expected sales.
Probably, although I have bought four retail PSV games and Uncharted isn't one of them. (I'll pick it up later after I've played the PS3 versions)

fernoca

Though, seeing how on the individual SKUs Final Fantasy XIII-2 on PS3 was the only version that made it, and it sold less than Twisted Metal (221k); but more than Skyrim-360 (135k).
Putting XIII-2 on PS3 at 220k, puts the 360 version at 130k (based on the 350k sales).

Of course it wasn't actually like that; but kinda. :p

Probably because it wasn't the type of GTA they wanted. Chinatown Wars felt dated on the PSP compared to Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. If they were to do a San Andreas Stories on 3DS or Vita, that would undoubtedly sell considerably better than Chinatown Wars.

This reminds me. Has anyone played Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories on the Vita? How do they control?

Sheikh

Banned
superb numbers for PS3

this is US we are talking . Now imagine sales in Europe --ps3's strongest territory. Hopefully the uptake will be higher when the console falls to <200$ range in US

great sales for Kingdoms of amalur. Twisted metal despite bad reviews did OK i guess

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
RE:R is very much a hand-held experience, tailored for hand-helds. It's different than say a full console game on a portable.

What wow really? When'd this backpedaling start o.o? All I ever read from peeps was that this is a *real* RE with console level production values and gameplay and whatnot!

Beth Cyra

Damn that is horrible sales for Final Fantasy XIII-2.

The Final Fantasy brand is tarnished all over the world, SE better step it up and make sure that XV is a good game.

People have been saying this since after XI came out. It will be interesting to see where and how SE takes this from here.

I do disagree that XIII tarnished the brand any more then say XII did. XIII-2 launch was close enough to X-2 and the fact that X-2 was the to an infinitly more popular game at a time when JRPGS where in much higher demand that I feel that XIII only really hurt XIII's name and not the brand as a whole.

I think heavily divided games back to back as XII and XIII were and then to follow with a a broken MMO is far more damaging then XIII alone.

Effect

What wow really? When'd this backpedaling start o.o? All I ever read from peeps was that this is a *real* RE with console level production values and gameplay and whatnot!

It's paced and structured for a hand held. That's different from the production values, gameplay, etc. It's not like they took a game designed for consoles and just dropped it onto a hand held instead.

People have been saying this since after XI came out. It will be interesting to see where and how SE takes this from here.

I do disagree that XIII tarnished the brand any more then say XII did. XIII-2 launch was close enough to X-2 and the fact that X-2 was the to an infinitly more popular game at a time when JRPGS where in much higher demand that I feel that XIII only really hurt XIII's name and not the brand as a whole.

I think heavily divided games back to back as XII and XIII were and then to follow with a a broken MMO is far more damaging then XIII alone.

I don't think it's any single thing (although FFXIV was pretty much a massive hammer blow to the franchise) but there's been an increasingly large number of problems associated with the FF brand name for a long time.

FFXI is a good MMO now, but when it came out it was honestly pretty bad. And that was before WoW.

FFXII was the living definition of development hell... until FFXIII and FFvsXIII came along to usurp the throne.

At the same time they flooded the market with literally dozens of FF spinoffs whose quality was all over the place, weakening the association of FF = quality gaming thing that tends to be important for a franchise's health.

Then FFXIII came out, and regardless of whether you liked it, it had lots of very controversial design elements. Post-launch interviews where the dudes got incredibly defensive over the game (HD towns are hard) didn't help.

Then FFXIV happened.

And FFvsXIII is still in a black hole of us not knowing anything about it.

Beth Cyra

I don't think it's any single thing (although FFXIV was pretty much a massive hammer blow to the franchise) but there's been an increasingly large number of problems associated with the FF brand name for a long time.

FFXI is a good MMO now, but when it came out it was honestly pretty bad. And that was before WoW.

FFXII was the living definition of development hell... until FFXIII and FFvsXIII came along to usurp the throne.

At the same time they flooded the market with literally dozens of FF spinoffs whose quality was all over the place, weakening the association of FF = quality gaming thing that tends to be important for a franchise's health.

Then FFXIII came out, and regardless of whether you liked it, it had lots of very controversial design elements. Post-launch interviews where the dudes got incredibly defensive over the game (HD towns are hard) didn't help.

Then FFXIV happened.

And FFvsXIII is still in a black hole of us not knowing anything about it.

I wouldn't argue with any of this. I would add XII to the XIII area because it ran into very similar problems aside from Developers getting defensive. It had many issues to alot of people and was met with serious resistence and many people didn't like it.

I want to see what happends what happens when they get a man that can handle the directors chair.

Matsuno and now Toriyama failed. Nomura is involved with to many projects and other issues. It will be interesting to see what happends when that role is actually filled by someone that can handle the pressure.

Honestly I feel like once Final Fantasy XV is announced (assuming vs doesn't become XV) the hype train will eventually hit all of us and it'll become a big hit. Even if XIII and XIV did damage nothing time, hype, and a good trailer or two can't fix

I'm a Vita pessimist and I honestly thought it'd do at least 300K. Damn. Of course, the numbers over the next few months will be more telling, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I see little in the announced NA software lineup to inspire optimism there. And to think I actually believed a few months ago that it'd do better at $250 than 3DS did...

I was similarly pessimistic about RE:R, but I thought it'd at least debut north of 125K or so. I think that points to a general weakness of dudebro games on handhelds in general rather than Nintendo handhelds in particular, but Vita's software sales throughout the year will provide ample evidence one way or another.

Beth Cyra

Honestly I feel like once Final Fantasy XV is announced (assuming vs doesn't become XV) the hype train will eventually hit all of us and it'll become a big hit. Even if XIII and XIV did damage nothing time, hype, and a good trailer or two can't fix
I don't know if this is such a good mindset. As it is since FF went huge it's had as many if not more downs then ups.

They have only really had VII, VIII (you can argue this one I guess), X, and XI. IX, XII, XIII, XIV, and now XIII-2 to varying levels of worse then the other three.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
For reference:

PSV (first month): 225k

3DS (first month): 400k

(second month): 194k

(third month): 97k

Not a good sign for things to come...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
It's paced and structured for a hand held. That's different from the production values, gameplay, etc. It's not like they took a game designed for consoles and just dropped it onto a hand held instead.

Ew so its basically been Peace Walker'd (or as I call it portablized)? Broken down into dinky little missions with small environments and lil to no backtracking unlike classic REs? I can why that'd turn people off. That and the initial $50 pricepoint x.x

Gaborn

I'm not sure what is particularly positive about the PSV numbers. I mean, let's step back a second. We're talking about launch window sales. Let's assume the upper end of success is when a system is completely sold out everywhere (like the Wii was in the launch window and a good deal afterwards). I think we can agree that Vita is NOT supply constrained, people that want them can get them.

So what do the numbers tell me? Just on average over the 4 day span you'd be looking at 55k a day, in reality we can probably guess that the bulk of the sales were in the first day, considering early adopters and pre-orders.

What will next month look like? I'm not sure that there is any buzz with the Vita, I don't see any new games generating a bump in sales... I mean, obviously it will sell some but would ANYONE be shocked at a 180k month? Would anyone consider that kind of sales good or healthy? I think the more buzz around a system the more likely to pick up good sales from impulse buys even in off months. But now? In March? Where are sales going to come from?

I don't know if this is such a good mindset. As it is since FF went huge it's had as many if not more downs then ups.

They have only really had VII, VIII (you can argue this one I guess), X, and XI. IX, XII, XIII, XIV, and now XIII-2 to varying levels of worse then the other three.

But that's the thing with the FF franchise, everyone has very strong and different opinions about what games are good/bad. IMO VII, IX, X, and XII were all way better then VIII, XI, and XIII (XIII-2 being arguable). I'm sure a dozen other FF fans would give you a dozen other list. Until FFXV comes out and does XIII-2 or worse numbers it's really hard to tell.

Top Bottom