• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

Vita with horrible sales as expected, especially relative to the past handhelds. With nothing big coming out in the near future, Sony has got to be sweating bullets. It's gotta hurt that the 3DS outsells the Vita.

Good sales by the 360 and PS3 as well this month.

Truth101

Banned
I don't feel this really excuses anything though. Why was it undershipped? Did retailers not believe in it? If so, why? Will it recover? Will someone else take a chance given "undershipping" risk?

Oh, I'm not saying it to excuse the sales.

Did Capcom ever give us their WW Projections for Revelations?

Those Vita numbers are a complete shame... granted, it had a really soft launch in First Edition Bundle, but the real marketing launch push came after for the official launch of the device on the 22nd of February. Not that many days, but regardless, a new platform launch should be a big fucking deal and the Vita basically whimpered out of the gate. Such an amazing machine and no is buying it...

Nice 360 and PS3 numbers, though. Really surprised by the PS3 numbers... pretty good hold from last year.

Elios83

360 and PS3 doing great.
Vita......emmmm....we'll see what happens next month (5 weeks) if it's less than 200k it's a true bomba.

Vita with horrible sales as expected, especially relative to the past handhelds. With nothing big coming out in the near future, Sony has got to be sweating bullets. It's gotta hurt that the 3DS outsells the Vita.

Good sales by the 360 and PS3 as well this month.

The period ended on 2/25, Vita released on 2/22. I mean the numbers are not out of this world great but I don't see how they are horrible.

Effect

Capcom would rather push their bigger console titles, it seems. They sent this out to die.

Does seem that way. I don't get emotional about games as they are games but this actually makes me somewhat mad they would seemingly do this. It does bothers me in general that companies would spend the time and money developing games but not actually try to make them sell. Not only that but actually undercut any chance a product might actually have at times. It's a huge waste of money. I honestly don't understand why this happens.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Uncharted has a nice attach ratio, but that's expected considering the lackluster PS Vita sales, and the fact that it's apparently an amazing game. Surprised it sold more than RE:R given the install base, and series popularity discrepancies.

Nirolak, can you add in Microsoft's PR to the OP? It's in post #10.

Anyone else think we may not be getting a Sony PR this month? PS3 did great, but they'd have to mention Vita sales I suppose.

JB1981

The Best Buy by me has the absolute lamest section for the PS Vita. It has no retail presence at all there. Like its already dead

Truth101

Banned
Uncharted has a nice attach ratio, but that's expected considering the lackluster PS Vita sales, and the fact that it's apparently an amazing game. Surprised it sold more than RE:R given the install base, and series popularity discrepancies.

Launch titles, especially one of UC quality, tend to sell quite well. I don't find it too surprising at all that it outsold RE:R. Now if RE:R was at the launch of the 3DS I could see it performing similarly.

The period ended on 2/25, Vita released on 2/22. I mean the numbers are not out of this world great but I don't see how they are horrible.

Well, there was the First Edition Bundle, but the Vita barely had any marketing before the 22nd, let alone near the release of the FEB. Those are tracked, but I would like to think that those numbers would be pretty small.

Still, ~225K isn't good enough for a new platform launch, damnit!

Metallix87

According to you know who, Mercenaries did less than 30k in its opening month.

This might be the only good news so far for Revelations. If it managed to sell a good deal more than 30k, Capcom can at least say that the audience is expanding a bit. It's not much, but it gives me hope that Capcom would have lower expectations for Revelations.

Not sure what to make of those Vita numbers, but I'm not really impressed. It's a shame because it deserves to be successful.
The Best Buy by me has the absolute lamest section for the PS Vita. It has no retail presence at all there. Like its already dead
It's the same where I live. I saw it and was like, "This is it?"

Codeblue

Woah. Revelaitons mega bomba. I know I said the audience wasn't there, but damn!

And whether or not Revelaitons is a spin-off is pretty irrevelant. Operation Raccon City is a spinoff, but it will perform several times better than this.

I agree that it's disappointing, but it's a little unfair to compare it to a console game that will be appearing on two well established systems.

massoluk

Banned
Not surprise by Vita. Quite possibly one of the least exciting launch of major game systems. I was genuinely surprised by the indifference toward it at local Gamestops I frequents.

Why didn't they at least air commercials for Revelations now, instead of Operation Raccoon City commercials (which releases in like April)?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Nirolak, can you add in Microsoft's PR to the OP? It's in post #10.

Anyone else think we may not be getting a Sony PR this month? PS3 did great, but they'd have to mention Vita sales I suppose.
What what what? I thought it was posted...

Just in case it wasn't:
Sony PR said:
After months of anticipation, the U.S. launch of PlayStation Vita saw overwhelming enthusiasm amongst gamers, resulting in exceptional hardware, software and peripheral sales. As reported last week, more than 1.2M PS Vita units have been sold globally since launch. Customer satisfaction rates are very high and momentum will continue as gamers get their hands on a deep lineup of blockbuster titles that take advantage of PS Vita’s unique features, including cross-platform play with the PlayStation 3.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

LosDaddie

Banned
X360 on top, but PS3 with a smaller YoY decrease. I think Sony will probably stay put on pricing, while MS cuts theirs at E3.

Welp. Revelaitons and the Vita both disappointing.

Has an RE game ever been successful on handhelds? Honest question. I don't know.

And I think PSV did alright considering it had 3 days of sales in this NPD.

Kazerei

Banned
What what what? I thought it was posted...

Just in case it wasn't:
Sony PR said:
After months of anticipation, the U.S. launch of PlayStation Vita saw overwhelming enthusiasm amongst gamers, resulting in exceptional hardware, software and peripheral sales. As reported last week, more than 1.2M PS Vita units have been sold globally since launch. Customer satisfaction rates are very high and momentum will continue as gamers get their hands on a deep lineup of blockbuster titles that take advantage of PS Vita’s unique features, including cross-platform play with the PlayStation 3.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

It's so small it's easy to miss. Dat momentum.

The only thing that disappoints me about Revelaitons is the fact that it could have done better with a bit of effort I feel.

They really needed to push the fact that its a real RE game, show it off, SPELL IT OUT - LOOK AT THIS REAL RE GAME WOW! then I think people would have taken more interest.

Watch game footage and you think wow that looks awesome as, read a sign saying "RE.......Revelaitons" and "3DS" or "handheld" and anyone use to the spin off shit that gets spewed out will be suspicious.

X360 on top, but PS3 with a smaller YoY decrease. I think Sony will probably stay put on pricing, while MS cuts theirs at E3.

Has an RE game ever been successful on handhelds? Honest question. I don't know.

And I think PSV did alright considering it had 3 days of sales in this NPD.

Resident evil has never had a game like this release on handhelds. There was a remake of the original on the ds and a noncanon spinoff on gameboy. Revelations is the only serious re game to be released on a handheld. Not too mention the supply was pretty limited and marketing was non existant.

Cipherr

Not surprise by Vita. Quite possibly one of the least exciting launch of major game systems. I was genuinely surprised by the indifference toward it at local Gamestops I frequents.

I cannot quite put a finger on it, but something is definitely missing. The Vita launch does feel as if there's just, something not right for a launch of new hardware.

OTOH though, I felt the same about the 3DS.

Pimpbaa

I'm inclined to believe RE Revelations was undershipped. I pre-ordered it from amazon and I did not get my copy shipped at release date. Took forever for them to get restocked (with the fixed cover). Then again that is anecdotal evidence.

I'm inclined to believe RE Revelations was undershipped. I pre-ordered it from amazon and I did not get my copy shipped at release date. Took forever for them to get restocked (with the fixed cover). Then again that is anecdotal evidence.
I always meant to ask, did those copies get pulled, or were they allowed to all sell?

MrDaravon

Skimmed the thread but didn't see this posted. No idea how reliable this is, but John Riccardi re-tweeted this a couple of hours ago:

johntv said:
To everyone who told me FF13 quality wouldn't impact future sales: suck it. RT @Nova_Crystallis: Um... seems FFXIII-2 sold 340k in the US

The source account is listed as the senior US Editor for rpgsite.com, which I'm not familiar with at all. Based on some of the math I saw in the thread that seems like it would be in the ballpark though (didn't someone figure that it couldn't have been more than 440k between 360/PS3 combined?).

Yeah for what it's worth at about a week after release I had a total bitch of a time finding a copy.

Top Bottom