• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

Looks pretty even to me, except for GBA. Vita had the First Edition Bundles come out on the 15th.

GBA - 20 or 27 days in launch month
NDS - 8 days in launch month
PSP - 10 days in launch month
3DS - 7 days in launch month
PSV - 11 days in launch month

NPD's statement said 4 days, and using their %'s is how I came up with the 218K-230K range.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ff13-2 is terrible. Why is this a surprise? Sloppy product starring the worst protagonist ever. Who would buy this? Only a sucker like me.

liger05

If you're referring to the "1+ million sold" if you read it, you'd see they included total data from the Japanese and other Asian launches from December.

NPD doesn't count the FEB days as actual sales days. It's recorded for 4 in February 2012.

Yeah I know but I thought sony said it sold 1.2 mil. If you take away the 600k from Japan. That leaves 600k to find. Now I know not confirmed the European sales looked like they didnt do over 300k and neither do the US sales so where has this other 600k came from?

Busaiku

As said earlier 218K is with zero PSP/PS2 sales
230K assumes 75K combined PSP/PS2 sales. That is where the numbers are coming from I believe.

Again, you have to explain to me why Vita sales would increase if PSP/PS2 are more than 0.
1.411 million is without Vita/PS2/PSP.

Oh, I just realized it, I'm messing up the percentages.
Nevermind that, I get it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is the only logical explanation thus far.

Agreed.

It makes no sense for all FEB orders to not be counted anywhere and have disappeared into the NPD abyss.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If donny is posting real numbers for the Vita why would he give a range?

We just had someone who has access to numbers confirm that it is a accurate range.

Vita sold less then I thought (I was guessing 250k+) but if you had been attention then you would of know that it was between 200k-300k so it is not a surprising number.

Also, being out sold by the competitor in your launch month is very concerning.

Takao

Banned
Yeah I know but I thought sony said it sold 1.2 mil. If you take away the 600k from Japan. That leaves 600k to find. Now I know not confirmed the European sales looked like they didnt do over 300k and neither do the US sales so where has this other 600k came from?

NPD only counts US, and Chart whatever only Europe. Let's say it did 500k in both EU and US combined, that puts the number at 1.1million with Japan. Find that 100k in the countries not counted yet.

donny2112

NPD doesn't count the FEB days as actual sales days. It's recorded for 4 in February 2012.

It could be bought before then, though. It's sort of like the Crisis Core bundle in Japan coming out a week before PSPSlim. Did the PSPSlim launch the week the bundle came out or the next week when it was unbundled? Sort of up to interpretation. NPD said 4 days, but you could buy it for 11 days in the period. *shrugs* Still seems basically even for availabiltiy with the other systems except for GBA, either way.

Again, you have to explain to me why Vita sales would increase if PSP/PS2 are more than 0.
1.411 million is without Vita/PS2/PSP.

If you take total hardware and increase it, to say 1.5 million, then divide it by 162%, from NPD, you get ~925K Januarary hardware sales. Then increase that number by 187%, again from NPD, you will get a total Feb hardware of 1731K. Take the difference between 1500 K and 1731K gives you 231K for Vita. That is an increase from 218K vita with 1.411 million hardware sales for Feb.

So as you increase hardware sales totals for Feb, you will naturally increase Vita sales by % theory.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, I'm not understanding this.
Why would Vita sales increase if we assume other hardware to be more than 0?

The vita figure is being worked out from the percentage change of the total units sales for hardware.

We onlu have numbers for the PS3, 360, Wii, 3DS, DS, adding the PS2 and PSP sales will give a larger starting number and result in a larger estimate for the vita sales.

Busaiku

If you take total hardware and increase it, to say 1.5 million, then divide it by 162%, from NPD, you get ~925K Januarary hardware sales. Then increase that number by 187%, again from NPD, you will get a total Feb hardware of 1731K. Take the difference between 1500 K and 1731K gives you 231K for Vita. That is an increase from 218K vita with 1.411 million hardware sales for Feb.

So as you increase hardware sales totals for Feb, you will naturally increase Vita sales by % theory.

Yeah, I forgot to work in the missing PS2/PSP in January (but kept them in February).

liger05

NPD only counts US, and Chart whatever only Europe. Let's say it did 500k in both EU and US combined, that puts the number at 1.1million with Japan. Find that 100k in the countries not counted yet.

you can see why they released that Press release as the numbers for europe and the US aint that great at all. They must of been looking to do 300k in the US at least.

donny2112

You could also just say that Vita is 25% of January's hardware total, so as you increase the total January hardware total, 25% of that would result in higher units, too.

You could also just say that Vita is 25% of January's hardware total, so as you increase the total January hardware total, 25% of that would result in higher units, too.

Yep. I just put it in heavy detail in case he was doing the math himself to help him catch anything he missed.

Takao

Banned
you can see why they released that Press release as the numbers for europe and the US aint that great at all. They must of been looking to do 300k in the US at least.

Sony's numbers also included launch week though. This NPD report is for 4 days. I think they sold 1.2 million but that press release was meant to be deceiving if you didn't read it.

fernoca

Well, Tretton expects 500k in 3 weeks ..or something like that. So if anything, they might be doing as expected; seeing how they sold nearly half that in around a week.

iirc sony also it was an ESTIMATE

DMeisterJ

Banned
FF needs to take a rest for a while I think. The brand is damaged.

Also, changing Versus XIII to XV will be the smartest thing they did. They already changed Agito XIII to Type-0, just change Vs to XV. I really liked XIII, but most people didn't. It's best if SE stops trying to franchise it like they did VII and XII.

Agent X

I guess they counted FEBs as "preorders" any sold between February 15 and February 21 were counted as sold on the February 22 launch. Which might explain why Anita said "4 days".

So, while it's technically 11 days; they counted it as 4 days.

That's possible, but it's curious why she explicitly stated "There are four days of retail sales reported for PlayStation Vita in this reporting period". If there were 11 days, then why not simply state it as 11 days? It wasn't explained as "11 days" or even "11 days condensed into four days", it was "four days".

It seems people on both sides of the argument are jumping the gun. We need some clarification about that remark before we can make a definite conclusion.

Well, Tretton expects 500k in 3 weeks ..or something like that. So if anything, they might be doing as expected; seeing how they sold nearly half that in around a week.

Yeah, I think they are ok. If we had any idea what the pre-order count was, it is possible to take those 4 days of daily sales, do some probability distribution work on possible daily sales over a period of 30 days, and come up with an estimate. It is basically how they come up with those estimates internally.

Takao

Banned
Vita's sales are lower than I had hoped for, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the PSP killed. I just hope Sony can manage to make it at least a niche, but viable platform for games.

That's possible, but it's curious why she explicitly stated "There are four days of retail sales reported for PlayStation Vita in this reporting period". If there were 11 days, then why not simply state it as 11 days? It wasn't explained as "11 days" or even "11 days condensed into four days", it was "four days".

It seems people on both sides of the argument are jumping the gun. We need some clarification about that remark before we can make a definite conclusion.

I think they didn't record 11 sales days simply because the FEB wasn't a general release. It was meant to be preorder only.

NPD Launch Months

GBA - 870K
PSP - 619K
NDS - 480K
3DS - ~400K
PSV - 220-230K

GBA > PSP > NDS > 3DS > PSV

PSVita: "Simply the most undesirable handheld yet released"

Saw someone quote Anita Fraser say that without Vita, sales increased 62% and increased 87% with it implies that it comprised 15% of February sales after doing a bit of algebra.

Assuming zero sales for PSP and PS2, that works out at around 212k.

Assuming 75k sales for the PSP/PS2 yields about 220k.

Dragon

Banned
I'm just curious, why does debuting at #2 in a crowded month = the brand needs to take a break? No one expected XIII-2 to outsell XIII...I mean, right?

FFXIII debuted at what, 1.3 million its first month? You don't see selling a third of its predecessor in its debut month anything but a disaster?

donny2112

Short of getting an updated Vita number, I'll probably use 225K for the Vita for prediction results. That'd make this month's hardware totals ...

360: 426K (42% of console sales)
PS3: ~360K (from math)
3DS: 262K
WII: 228K
PSVita: 220-230K (NPD PR, Nintendo PR, math)
NDS: 135K

PS3 Twisted Metal - 221K

Can a mod update the OP?

seriously it officially came out on the 22nd so thats where the 4 days comes from the FEB will be included

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm just curious, why does debuting at #2 in a crowded month = the brand needs to take a break? No one expected XIII-2 to outsell XIII...I mean, right?

No, but there's a pretty big gap between 350k (what it did first month) and 1.33 million (what XIII did first month). So I guess peoples expectations were somewhere in that one million unit gap?

Road

That was a comment about his expectations without any basis on actual sales:

Tretton, the U.S. PlayStation CEO, said he would "be very pleased" to sell half a million units in the United States in the next three weeks.​
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sony-Vita-arrives-market-rb-1397061416.html?x=0

FFXIII debuted at what, 1.3 million its first month? You don't see selling a third of its predecessor in its debut month anything but a disaster?

Unlike XIII though XIII-2 has been overall better received, not by everyone but word of mouth might give it more continued sales then XIII which dropped like a rock.

Also, changing Versus XIII to XV will be the smartest thing they did. They already changed Agito XIII to Type-0, just change Vs to XV. I really liked XIII, but most people didn't. It's best if SE stops trying to franchise it like they did VII and XII.

But mainline Final Fantasy games aren't supposed to have anything in common with one another and VS XIII follows the same/similar lore as XIII. So I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

ZenaxPure

People think their dislike of x game (isn't tied to FF, either) means it bombed/needs to die/whatever. There has been plenty of good thoughtful posts about the reality around 13-2 by others in this thread but that can't change someone's opinion.

Actual numbers sold means very little about the actual profit of a game. SE clearly did not dump much money into the game compared to 13 and despite lower sells there is a high chance it made as much profit (% based of course) if not more than the original 13.

Considering the 225 included pre-orders, I don't think they'll achieve that. We'll know next month if Sony mentions a month to month % increase.
iirc sony also it was an ESTIMATE
They were pretty emphatic that those numbers were sold to consumer, so they would be pretty accurate.

Takuya

Banned
But mainline Final Fantasy games aren't supposed to have anything in common with one another and VS XIII follows the same/similar lore as XIII. So I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Maybe not name it XV, but remove the XIII since it's tainted. Somewhat like they did with Type-0.

Top Bottom