• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

SykoTech

Nice to see that all the people here that were so certain that Twisted Metal would bomb were wrong. Despite car combat being a "dead genre" and receiving poor advertising as usually from Sony, it did pretty well. Game really delivered, so it's good knowing that it wasn't ignored. The feeling is a little bittersweet though since Eat Sleep Play is pursuing casual games now and Jaffe left the company.

No surprise that Revelaitons bombed. Resident Evil may be an extremely popular brand and all these days, but the audience simply isn't on the 3DS. It wasn't going to sell that well regardless of brand recognition and high reviews. I don't think Capcom should be too worried though. With ORC and RE6 both coming out and on more appropriate platforms, the Resident Evil brand should still manage to perform well this year.

No SSX, but it only had like a day to sell. Hope it does well in March though.

Dragon

Banned
Well what did X-2 sell compared to X? That would be the real comparison, wouldn't it?

I'm sure someone will pull those numbers but I doubt it's as drastic a difference. X-2 is a silly game but was well received by fans and coming after a game that did well critically as well as sales-wise and is now receiving an HD version.

Metallix87

Considering the 225 included pre-orders, I don't think they'll achieve that. We'll know next month if Sony mentions a month to month % increase.

I'd say there's no hope they'll achieve that. It's not necessarily a terrible performance, but the system won't hit 500k in March.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
But mainline Final Fantasy games aren't supposed to have anything in common with one another and VS XIII follows the same/similar lore as XIII. So I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

From a sales perspective Vs XIII has to be changed to XV. The XIII name is just too tarnished at this point.

Agent X

seriously it officially came out on the 22nd so thats where the 4 days comes from the FEB will be included

So what you're trying to say is that if it only "officially" came out on the 22nd, then they would not be counting any "unofficial" sales before the "official" release?

That's exactly why we need clarification.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FF X-2 opened at 402k

While true, that was also 3 years before the generation waned, on a significantly smaller install base, on a single console, with a lower development cost, and it got to 1.6 million in the US in the end--something that isn't even remotely possible with 13-2 (especially given FF13's poor legs compared to FF10's legs)

People think their dislike of x game (isn't tied to FF, either) means it bombed/needs to die/whatever. There has been plenty of good thoughtful posts about the reality around 13-2 by others in this thread but that can't change someone's opinion.

Yeah Kagari is a big FF hater, FF13 in particular.

So what you're trying to say is that if it only "officially" came out on the 22nd, then they would not be counting any "unofficial" sales before the "official" release?

That's exactly why we need clarification.

its npd, they are counting sales for february, all vitas sold in february will be counted

Even if we assume FEB isn't included, how many more sales are we expecting to add? Do we have any idea how many FEB were sold/available?

donny2112

PSV number is about 10k too high by my reckoning.

Someone with access to numbers confirmed the range, so it should be good. Vita is 25% of January's numbers, and with Nintendo's PR this month, we can back fit Wii, 3DS, and NDS numbers for January, just leaving PS2/PSP as unknowns. The range comes from the uncertainty in those two for January. :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
:lol @ at anyone thinking the FEB sales are not included. Why in the hell would they NOT be included? FEB 22nd was the official release so therefore Vita has "4" days of sales.

No surprise that Revelaitons bombed. Resident Evil may be an extremely popular brand and all these days, but the audience simply isn't on the 3DS. It wasn't going to sell that well regardless of brand recognition and high reviews. I don't think Capcom should be too worried though. With ORC and RE6 both coming out and on more appropriate platforms, the Resident Evil brand should still manage to perform well this year.

The audience has to be built, and if it is, Capcom will reap the rewards. Such is the case with all platforms.

donny2112

Question:
Were the FEB sales included for February's Vita total?

Answer:
If they were sold at a tracked retailer in the NPD monthly period, they were tracked. The only way they would not be included is if someone forgot to add them together with the systems sold after Feb. 22. NPD definitely tracked their sale, though.

Basch

Was hoping to see numbers for XIII-2. Only game I really care about this month. Maybe Golden Abyss, but I'm still relatively early into that game. Think Square will make a XIII-3? I'm sure they're seeing quite a return with this one. They're using the same engine after all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFX-2 reached 1.6 million LTD... I don't see 13-2 getting anywhere near that considering 13 itself is at 1.8 million.

Opiate

The audience has to be built, and if it is, Capcom will reap the rewards. Such is the case with all platforms.

I'm very skeptical that the audience can be easily built on the 3DS, however. I feel that much of the audience we're talking about (Dudebro / early 20s males) are very averse to handheld and portable gaming. If there is one audience who seems particularly and emphatically tied to their 50'' Plasma TVs, it is the Dudebro audience.

That does not mean that building the audience would be impossible, just that it's a more difficult task for a system like the 3DS than it is for a system like the PS3.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Why are people acting like RE:R ever had a chance at making the top 10?

I think people are more concerned at the <135k. If it sold over 100k then it had a decent opening but anything less would be disappointing. Either way I imagine it should have strong legs.

Someone with access to numbers confirmed the range, so it should be good. Vita is 25% of January's numbers, and with Nintendo's PR this month, we can back fit Wii, 3DS, and NDS numbers for January, just leaving PS2/PSP as unknowns. The range comes from the uncertainty in those two for January. :)

No worries. Thread moves too fast to follow on a mobile and I missed the confirmation.

Cipherr

Besides being the next game of a huge franchise?

Whats with people pretending RE:Revelations was RE:6? I noticed this back in the Media Create threads around launch too. People were like "RE:R should do at least 600k or so or its totally bombing" when those are the numbers the MAINLINE entries do, not the spinoffs.

burgerdog

FFX-2 reached 1.6 million LTD... I don't see 13-2 getting anywhere near that considering 13 itself is at 1.8 million.

Did they seriously think that they were going to sell enough to make a sequel and justify that "to be continued" ending? So stupid, they're probably scrambling to make the Lightning dlc a full on closure episode now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

FF13 First Month to Final Sales: +35% (1.33 million to 1.8 million)
FF13-2 with same +35% figure: 472k
FF10-2 First Month to Final Sales: +300% (0.4 million to 1.6 million)
FF13-2 with +300% figure (which absolutely isn't going to happen): 1.4 million
FF10 LTD in US ~2.5 million. FF10-2 to FF10 sales ratio: 64%.
FF13-2 assuming same sales ratio to FF13 as FF10-2 to FF10 (which absolutely isn't going to happen): 1.15 million

Basch

Ugh. I need to stop looking at NPD data because it only makes me sad for the state of this industry.

A lot of sales come from digital content. NPD is only tracking physical. Granted, physical is probably vastly larger than digital sales, but I'm sure Steam, XBL, and PSN help out a lot.

kfpkiller

Why are people acting like RE:R ever had a chance at making the top 10?
Why wouldn't it have a chance?
It's considered a mainline game in a franchise where the last game sold more than a million units in its first month.
And it launched with no competition on 3ds.

FF X-2 opened at 402k

That's actually...not that big of a drop off. But I agree with above, it's never going to sell 1.5 million in the US.

Handheld sales at 500k combined with the biggest games floating around 100k is decent, but really concerning for this market considering the DS used to do this by itself.

Software still sucks shit, Mass Effect 3 and Street Fighter x Tekken better put some asses in seats or everyone is going to bail out for the Wii U and smartphones before the end of the year. Raccoon City, Armored Core, Ninja Gaiden, Tales of Graces, and Silent Hill are going to bomb oh so badly.

I think people are more concerned at the <135k. If it sold over 100k then it had a decent opening but anything less would be disappointing. Either way I imagine it should have strong legs.

RE5 didn't have particularly strong legs in the states, did it?

Edit 3:

Is this the first month on record where digital sales > retail sales overall?

Whats with people pretending RE:Revelations was RE:6? I noticed this back in the Media Create threads around launch too. People were like "RE:R should do at least 600k or so or its totally bombing" when those are the numbers the MAINLINE entries do, not the spinoffs.

when all is said and done i'll probably post a healthy woldwide ltd for a resi spinoff though it would help if we knew what it launched at in the us

Saw someone quote Anita Fraser say that without Vita, sales increased 62% and increased 87% with it implies that it comprised 15% of February sales after doing a bit of algebra.

Assuming zero sales for PSP and PS2, that works out at around 212k.

Assuming 75k sales for the PSP/PS2 yields about 220k.

Decimals matter at this level, so make sure you use the actual 15.4%

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Because it did have a chance? Anything can have a chance of charting.

Um, really? Okay, let me rephrase. -_-

Why are people thinking that realistically RE:R ever had a chance? Even with the RE name it's a 3rd party M-rated horror game on a Nintendo handheld trying to sell in North America. Nintendo built the audience in NA on Mario and Mario Kart.

Why wouldn't it have a chance?
It's considered a mainline game in a franchise where the last game sold more than a million units in its first month.
And it launched with no competition on 3ds.

360/PS3 and 3DS markets are extremely different in North America. Keep in mind that Capcom also reduced the price by $10 before it released which was the first sign that preorders were not where they wanted them to be.

SykoTech

I'm very skeptical that the audience can be easily built on the 3DS, however. I feel that much of the audience we're talking about (Dudebro / early 20s males) are very averse to handheld and portable gaming. If there is one audience who seems particularly and emphatically tied to their 50'' Plasma TVs, it is the Dudebro audience.

That does not mean that building the audience would be impossible, just that it's a more difficult task for a system like the 3DS than it is for a system like the PS3.

Yep, couldn't have said it better myself. I guess if they were to advertise it to hell in back, they could build up a decent audience on the 3DS. But I don't think they could ever hope to come even close to how well the series performs on the PS3 and 360.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

I think it should be said that the majority of the masses hadn't been introduced to the Bioware and Bethesda RPGs yet. They make the preeminent RPGs now. I get every FF at launch, but that is me. I grew up playing their Secret of Manas and Super Mario RPGs. The Square I grew up knowing is different than the Square now.

rockx4

:lol @ at anyone thinking the FEB sales are not included. Why in the hell would they NOT be included? FEB 22nd was the official release so therefore Vita has "4" days of sales.

Not surprised people are saying that. I still remember when people were saying 1.2m didn't include launch units, and only FEB bundles due to "misleading wording" lol.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think it should be said that the majority of the masses hadn't been introduced to the Bioware and Bethesda RPGs yet. They make the preeminent RPGs now. I get every FF at launch, but that is me. I grew up playing their Secret of Manas and Super Mario RPGs. The Square I grew up knowing is different than the Square now.

FFX was also very much loved by fans whereas FFXIII was not.

Okay, OP updated.

That 218K number I came up assumed no PSP/PS2 sales (which is of course incorrect). After giving an assumption range including possible PSP/PS2 sales (218-230K), I believe Donny and the rest of the crew decided on using 225K for Vita sales.

Top Bottom