• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Vena

I think the biggest problem with Kirby is that they want you to sit down in front of your large, awesome HDTV and then play a game by staring at the shitty, low-res gamepad screen.

I think that would have been a bigger deal for a title that wasn't so aimed at families and small kids who don't particularly care, or are using Off-TV anyway. Anyway, this being a Kirby game, I'd expect it to just truck along to some decent numbers after a loooong time.

This strong N3DS opening and the still strong uptake of the OG3DS (seemingly), I will be interested in seeing if Xenoblade moves a good number of units. It has a lot of "slow boil" hype much like Majora just not as long or as revered a series.

QaaQer

If we're to assume ~300k for The Order over 10 days, I think 1 million copies is being very generous anyway.

Wonder if Ready at Dawn will survive it.

I don't know why they should. They had a blank chq from Sony and 3+ years and they make a six hour game with a kinda bad story and boring videogamey gameplay. But I'm not a fan of Sony exclusives, so I'd shut most them down. Demons souls was ace tho.

I think its entirely possible The Order does 1 million WW.

Not sure how much it can get over that though. No idea if that's enough to warrant a sequel or not. Only Sony / RAD know that at the moment.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Poor Kirby but I can't imagine it cost all that much to develop so it will likely return a profit as an investment.

Shows how important the season of release is for a title when you compare it to Toad (that and Toad was the better game overall).

True. It's a disappointment; though the game itself was nothing to write home about.

Personally, it lacked the Kirby charm that the games usually have. Furthermore, I found it tedious as I hardly looked at the television screen and was mostly glued to the gamepad - I didn't like that.

Kirby performs best in Japan and they didn't seems to like it either so eh, I'm hoping HAL to do better for Kirby's sake :)

Dark Souls 1 & 2 were both multi-million sellers so let's not mistakenly think that Souls games are still really niche games. Bloodborn definitely has the potential to be a big hit, even just in March.

Dsyndrome

If the right pie chart is LTD for the big 3 consoles, there's next to no gap between Xbone and PS4. Didn't realize it was that close. Good for Microsoft if so!

ethomaz

Banned
wow at 80 K gap! We are approaching 650k gap. Will be close to a million again before xbox removes 500-600k and returns to the same gap again starting January 2016. MS focusing only on holidays will never win them US. The 600K gap ms may reach this holiday will easily be shrunk come U4 release. And this is without taking to account a ps4 price drop. Ps4 doing good.
Sony reached a gap of close 1m last year before holidays... I expect it to be bigger this year (the gap for Feb is bigger for example) with more key titles launching.

Even if MS cuts 600k in holidays Sony will be comfortable.

sörine

Banned
Well if that practice continues, then the line definitely becomes blurred, IMO. I guess for now it doesn't matter, as the game is not even out yet, so everything works on everything for the time being.
Every mid-cycle Nintendo handheld upgrade has had exclusive games. GBC did, DSi did and n3DS will.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in game compatibility to define anything though. PS2 could also play games PS2 Slim couldn't. Vita can play games PS TV can't as well. Wii mini can't play sone games Wii can. That doesn't make them each distinct platforms though.

Vena

True. It's a disappointment; though the game itself was nothing to write home about.

Personally, it lacked the Kirby charm that the games usually have. Furthermore, I found it tedious as I hardly looked at the television screen and was mostly glued to the gamepad - I didn't like that.

Kirby performs best in Japan and they didn't seems to like it either so eh, I'm hoping HAL to do better for Kirby's sake :)

The title, much like Canvas, was never going to sell gangbuster and on the WiiU its appeal, even in Japan where Kirby (see: Triple Deluxe and Fighters) is strong, is gimped.

HAL did fine with Deluxe, this more than anything felt like a test title. A lot of love poured into it, mind, but a test title for the controls and some ideas someone had that they wanted to throw out on the WiiU where games were needed. There's also a point of saturation that Kirby would start seeing if they shoveled it off onto the 3DS.

Bgamer90

Banned
Dark Souls 1 & 2 were both multi-million sellers so let's not mistakenly think that Souls games are still really niche games. Bloodborn definitely has the potential to be a big hit, even just in March.

Dark Souls 1 released in 2011 though when the userbases of both the PS3 and 360 were huge. Think it's a bit different since it's an exclusive on a still pretty young console.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't know why they should. They had a blank chq from Sony and 3+ years and they make a six hour game with a kinda bad story and boring videogamey gameplay. But I'm not a fan of Sony exclusives, so I'd shut most them down. Demons souls was ace tho.

This isn't true, can't believe the amount of hate being spewed.

RAD is actually a very small team (smaller than Sucker Punch, for instance, which already was a small-ish Sony team), and their previous experience was only working on handheld titles. Yet they came out and released one of the first authentic showpieces for next-gen hardware. They took on an immense endeavor, and in some ways they came up short, but in other ways blew away a lot of expectations for such a small team.

If anything, those that had problems with The Order, but were still optimistic for the series going in, should be thankful that it sold as well as it did and also had harsh feedback -- it means that the sequel, which is likely greenlit, will be vastly improved and may turn into the next big franchise for Sony.

Sony reached a gap of close 1m last year before holidays... I expect it to be bigger this year (the gap for Feb is bigger for example) with more key titles launching.

If the PS4 drops to 299 the gap will be massive.

OuterLimits

Nice win by the 3DS and Zelda. Good numbers for PS4. Shame The Order didn't do better. I imagine with the negative press it got, it won't be selling much in the future unless it has a sharp price drop.

Well, no one can close them down except for themselves. Whatever money The Order loses is on Sony. RAD already got paid for developing the game.

How do you know what RAD's deal with Sony was? It's quite possible that RAD was counting on large royalties off of game sales. Also remember that The Order was delayed so they could have already been bleeding money for a few months.

In any case, it's highly unlikely that they got or are getting enough money from The Order to fund another game by themselves. They're going to need a publisher and if Sony decides that they don't want an Order sequel, they could be in big trouble.

sense

does anyone really think sony had higher expectations of a game that had very minimum gameplay, no multiplayer or replay value? i am sure they saw this as an extended tech demo released at full price to get as much money as possible to fund the sequel with the engine and assets already in place so they can make it bigger and better. if there are massive layoffs or the sequel is not greenlit then i will agree that sony had high expectations and the sales were a disappointment.

i personally see this as mgs ground zeroes demo released at full price. at some point sony stepped in and said "get the game out and focus on the sequel" and it shows in the way the game ends. i am sure the sequel will have multiplayer too

N.Domixis

Banned
Surprised the gap is even wider than last year with most of the negativity gone, 150 price drop with 1-2games included and a weak ps4 lineup with the same price as last launch. Looks like we will need a 250$ bundle with 4/5 games, 3 controllers, 2 years of live.

You know what I love most about this thread.

Both Nintendo and MS put out their own PR statements, but Sony doesn't even bother.

Its like Sony knows they're ballin!

Thoraxes

Monster Hunter 4 charted.

I'm crying tears of happiness here guys. Holy shit.

And dat Majora too. God damn.

The thirst for the nXL is real.

orochi91

Surprised the gap is even wider than last year with most of the negativity gone, 150 price drop with 1-2games included and a weak ps4 lineup with the same price as last launch. Looks like we will need a 250$ bundle with 4/5 games, 3 controllers, 2 years of live.

Make it $199.

Now that's a good deal.

RAD is actually a very small team (smaller than Sucker Punch, for instance, which already was a small-ish Sony team), and their previous experience was only working on handheld titles. Yet they came out and released one of the first authentic showpieces for next-gen hardware. They took on an immense endeavor, and in some ways they came up short, but in other ways blew away a lot of expectations for such a small team.

If anything, those that had problems with The Order, but were still optimistic for the series going in, should be thankful that it sold as well as it did and also had harsh feedback -- it means that the sequel, which is likely greenlit, will be vastly improved and may turn into the next big franchise for Sony.

I think you are a little over optimistic about this performance. Its really not a very strong showing at all.

Now that doesn't mean a sequel isn't coming but these sales combined with reviews and word of mouth is certainly not a big success.

ethomaz

Banned
You know what I love most about this thread.

Both Nintendo and MS put out their own PR statements, but Sony doesn't even bother.

Its like Sony knows they're ballin!
Sony PR.

“Demand for PlayStation 4 remains incredibly strong in the U.S. as it was #1 in hardware and software sales in February according to the latest NPD report. PS4 remains the cumulative leader in hardware sales with more than 20.2 million units sold to consumers worldwide demonstrating the fastest growth in PlayStation hardware history.”

Edit - People give more attention to Nintendo due the numbers and MS because the funny way.

Cipherr

3DS, New 3DS, 2DS are the same? Can play the same games? Is this just for good numbers like when Sony did the "PlayStation family" last gen?

No definitely not. The PS Family stuff was laughed at because Sony would combine across gen and across handheld and console to get a bigger number.

"The Playstation Family sold the most!"***

*** Family includes the PS2, PS2 Slim, Playstation 3, Playstation Portable, PSP GO, PSP 3000 and PSP E-1000

It included not just their handhelds or consoles, but EVERY piece of hardware they sold all combined together defying reason in order to achieve #1.

On the other hand NPD has always considered variations in a handheld/console to be the same line. The PS2 Slim is combined with PS2 sales because they are clearly the same console despite small differences. The DS is included with the DSi sales because they are clearly the same console despite small differences. The 3DS is counted with the N3DS because they are clearly the same console despite small differences. And the eventual Slimmer PS4 and Xbox consoles will of course be included with their launch predecessors because they will clearly be the same console despite small differences

The only reason you have people ignoring this extremely obvious and completely consistent (for 10+ years) constant is because their favorite silicon filled box didn't win the month, and they wish it were otherwise.

QaaQer

I know drivv club was made by a core of 40ish devs which is what I consider small; I thought TO was more like a 120+ team plus huge marketing spend, might be wrong with the order numbers tho.

And its not hate, just saying that maybe dumping more money there might be a bad idea. I don't know why the order 1887 would be any better unless they gut the creative team.

N.Domixis

Banned
Grimløck;155749804 said:
where can i order?
Pm your credit card and debit card details( you know just in case the credit card doesn't work), adress, phone number and social security and you can preorder for 3 payments of free.99. Lol jk

PhatSaqs

Banned
Anything within a million really aint worth crowing about honestly. That said, Sony has to be nothing but over the moon happy with their position. Coming out at 399 with X1 coming in higher was basically like a day 1 price drop for them. The momentum gained from that alone was and will remain tremendous throughout this gen.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The title, much like Canvas, was never going to sell gangbuster and on the WiiU its appeal, even in Japan where Kirby (see: Triple Deluxe and Fighters) is strong, is gimped.

HAL did fine with Deluxe, this more than anything felt like a test title. A lot of love poured into it, mind, but a test title for the controls and some ideas someone had that they wanted to throw out on the WiiU where games were needed. There's also a point of saturation that Kirby would start seeing if they shoveled it off onto the 3DS

I never thought of Canvas as an experiment title, but you may be right.

Kirby has only appeared once since the 3DS release, Deluxe, excluding downloadable titles, so I don't think another 3DS title would of hurt its chances. Nonetheless, Wii U was hurting so I'm sure the title was green-light shortly after the Wii U launch as you point out.

I was just disappointed, I like Kirby so much :(

Does anyone have the numbers for Kirby: Triple Deluxe fo NOA?

N.Domixis

Banned
Anything within a million really aint worth crowing about honestly. That said, Sony has to be nothing but over the moon happy with their position. Coming out at 399 with X1 coming in higher was basically like a day 1 price drop for them. The momentum gained from that alone was and will remain tremendous throughout this gen.
But compared to last gen when they were behind 15 million? It's great achievement.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think you are a little over optimistic about this performance. Its really not a very strong showing at all.

Now that doesn't mean a sequel isn't coming but these sales combined with reviews and word of mouth is certainly not a big success.

I never said it was a "big success", but it's also nowhere near a failure destined to doom the studio and franchise forever, and the sales were quite good when you view them in context.

Sony has stuck with IPs that have sold much worse on their first, second, third, and more outings.

I know drivv club was made by a core of 40ish devs which is what I consider small; I thought TO was more like a 120+ team plus huge marketing spend, might be wrong with the order numbers tho.

And its not hate, just saying that maybe dumping more money there might be a bad idea. I don't know why the order 1887 would be any better unless they gut the creative team.

It will be better because:

1) They won't be trying to develop a next-gen engine from scratch when their previous experience was with sub-PS2 level hardware.

2) They can focus development energies on taking critical feedback and improving the game.

I think the team is immensely talented and I don't expect them to simply release the same exact game as 1886. With them being able to focus on design, the improvements should be dramatic just like what has happened to many other new IPs.

Dark Souls 1 released in 2011 though when the userbases of both the PS3 and 360 were huge. Think it's a bit different since it's an exclusive on a still pretty young console.

Unless you're talking about a launch game or a game that is so popular that it could conceivably sell to a huge percentage of total users (like a new Mario Kart), userbase doesn't matter that much. Yes, systems that have been out for a while have much larger userbases but there's also drastically more competition (not only are you competing against more new games but you're also competing against the system's entire backlog). It's the same reason why more and more developers are going to be stopping PS3/360 ports as time goes on - although tons of people own PS3 & 360s, fewer and fewer of them are buying new games.

BokehKing

Banned

I don't think Sony will care if they lose US
If they cared, they would not still be at $400
No, they are crushing the world, or the universe for that matter not like there is any life out there anyway
(jk, I know aliens exist, and they play ps4 too)

Now if Sony maintains steady numbers through the holidays, with Uncharted possibly coming out around e3 next year? Donezo

The Order was made by a team of about 80.

Sony has stuck with IPs that have sold much worse on their first, second, third, and more outings.

I'm interested to hear what these series are that have sold much worse than The Order and had similarly bad review scores.

It's really hard to come back from negative critical response to your series' first game. Red Steel is a great example. First game sold well but was critically panned. The sequel was drastically better but by that point, nobody cared and it bombed horribly.

So you're saying Sony can close down RAD, a studio they don't own?

Of course not. However, if RAD is low on funds (or in debt) after having made The Order, aren't receiving the royalties they were expecting, and have trouble getting a publisher to fund them for their next game, that would result in them shutting down.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'm interested to hear what these series are that have sold much worse than The Order and had similarly bad review scores.

It's really hard to come back from negative critical response to your series' first game. Red Steel is a great example. First game sold well but was critically panned. The sequel was drastically better but by that point, nobody cared and it bombed horribly.

From last gen alone, here's a few titles that were greenlit sequels and sold worse than The Order on their first outing

- Resistance
- MotorStorm
- LittleBigPlanet
- Uncharted 1
- InFamous
- Heavy Rain (if you consider Beyond a "sequel")

Pretty much every major new IP Sony released last gen with the exception of TLOU.

I don't think it'll be difficult for The Order to come back and win the critics hearts, tbh. The core in the game is strong, they just need to expand and get the gameplay mix right. With the technical issues resolved, I think they'll come out swinging for the sequel and surprise a lot of folks. RAD is insanely talented.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for making this Vinny.

Majora's did fantastically.

The Order is a bit higher than I expected even though I think it's not an amazing result in isolation.

I think that's a good result for Evolve given what it is.

Warner continues to hit it out of the park given this is Dying Light month two. The only game they even seem to have that's wuestionable is Mad Max.

I continue to be incredibly impressed by XenoVerse.

That's probably about as good as you could ever expect for Monster Hunter.

Impressive month all around.

Top Bottom