• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What the hell is the 3DS family anyway? They are all just different versions of the same system. Or should I start saying PS3 family since the original was a bit different and could play PS2 games? Or PSP family since the Go only played digital?

You can start saying Playstation family (which includes all PS consoles) or portable entertainment system (which includes PS TV & all models of PSP and Vita) which is what Sony is doing.

impact

Banned
Except when you bring up international issues, aka Capcom planning their Japan focused series. It doesn't matter that potentially a console MH would sell a little better over here, as long as they can get millions of copies sold day 1 in Japan each year on a handheld. Not to mention, the series already flopped on PS2 over here, making the risk even more nonsensical. Be glad it actually sells this well on US 3DS.

I don't work for Capcom or own any shares in Capcom, so why would I? I didn't even buy the game or own a 3DS anymore.

Bgamer90

Banned
I predict a gap of 100k for march, type 0 and bloodborne will push ps4, momentum from this month will carry over. Xbox will be down because they dont have a huge hyped game. If this happens and ms doesn't price drop, ps4 will have a ~700k gap.
Agreed. MS isn't going to price drop... No point in doing it right now.

Dont forget they have the marketing deal for Hardline. March looks to be a bloodbath.

Wonder how the split is going to be for Hardline due to the Xbox audience enjoying shooters. I don't know what the split was for Battlefield 4 though.

Kill3r7

I think it could do some surprise numbers, March doesn't look very populated in terms of mainstream AAA titles.

Hardline doesn't have much competition, Bloodborne and FFXV Duscae demo, but then again what I played from the alpha and beta didn't exactly wow me. I have yet to try the EA Access demo.

Elios83

As always there's so much drama about RAD and The Order.
The game will easily pass 1 million worldwide (if it's not about to do so already), in the future they can sell it at discounted price, they can use it as a bundle title and so on.
Other titles have done worse, even in recent memory titles like Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 did worse and people weren't so concerned about the future of those IPs and their respective developers ^^''
People were concerned about Dragon Age being a total bomba as well and the developers said they're happy and they plan to continue with the series.
Other now huge Sony IPs like Uncharted and God of War started with lower sales.
Most of the work done in The Order went into creating a graphical engine which could be the foundation of future titles....the game was more like an interactive movie functional to the presentation....do you think that Sony didn't know that?
A sequel to The Order depends much more on the growth potential than on the sales of the original.
Assuming a sequel fixed all the problems and limits of the original how much could it sell?
How much would it cost and how many years of development would it take?
Is the name irremediably associated to a bad quality product because of negative reviews or it's not that relevant?
If Sony can find positive answers to those questions a sequel will be made, otherwise it will be the new Heavenly Sword.

sörine

Banned
This is a US sales thread. Japan is irrelevant here.

Yes I know Japan is weird and only plays handhelds. We aren't.
Monster Hunter's been on consoles 3 times and hasn't done near this well in the US before. Capcom's tried similar styled action games on consoles before to even worse results as well (Lost Planet 2, Dragon's Dogma).

I'm not sure what the idea that MH would just siddenly skyrocket in the west if Capcom would only throw it on consoles is based on? But it pretty clearly isn't based on actual sales.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Pretty much unfolded as expected.

Not bad for only a short time on the charts especially considering the "medias" handling of the game. Wont have long legs though if there is going to be dlc they need to announce it asap.

Nintendo Killed it ..... if they could only get some form of third party support they could really move more consoles.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
sörine;155753212 said:
Monster Hunter's been on consoles 3 times and hasn't done near this well in the US before. Capcom's tried similar styled action games on consoles before to even worse results as well (Lost Planet 2, Dragon's Dogma).

I'm not sure what the idea that MH would just siddenly skyrocket in the west if Capcom would only throw it on consoles is based on? But it pretty clearly isn't based on actual sales.

The counter argument to that is that there's never been a full on mainline MH game on the graphical powerhouse console during the series popular days (so obviously ignoring MH1 and Dragon's Dogma)

The counter-counter argument is that it would take getting a global audience larger than the one in Japan by a factor of two or more to make up for the increased cost of making such a product on the off chance that the US and Europe would suddenly fall in love with MH.

I never said it was a "big success", but it's also nowhere near a failure destined to doom the studio and franchise forever, and the sales were quite good when you view them in context.

Sony has stuck with IPs that have sold much worse on their first, second, third, and more outings.

It will be better because:

1) They won't be trying to develop a next-gen engine from scratch when their previous experience was with sub-PS2 level hardware.

2) They can focus development energies on taking critical feedback and improving the game.

I think the team is immensely talented and I don't expect them to simply release the same exact game as 1886. With them being able to focus on design, the improvements should be dramatic just like what has happened to many other new IPs.
Technically they're set, but in terms of core gameplay mechanics, RAD doesn't have a good feel for what is good tps gameplay, good tps controls or good tps levels. Obviously they can take all the feedback into consideration and improve, or they can be stubborn about it and change nothing, the risk is that they don't understand the genre, which is a very fundamental problem that is difficult to fix without bringing in someone with experience and somebody from game design falling on his sword.

impact

Banned
sörine;155753212 said:

I'm not sure what the old ass PS2 MH games (when no one knew wtf MH was) and a Wii U game sales mean though.

and I'm scratching my head on how Lost Planet 2 is even somewhat similar to MH. Closest thing to MH outside of the "hunting genre" would be Souls and it's doing pretty well on the two relevant consoles + PC. Well, better than <300k in a month at least.

OuterLimits

You can start saying Playstation family (which includes all PS consoles) or portable entertainment system (which includes PS TV & all models of PSP and Vita) which is what Sony is doing.

I understand that. Just never heard the same system but with different revisions referred to as a family before. Seems odd. Most systems have revisions during their lifetime. I wasn't aware they were counted differently.

sörine;155753212 said:

The first time it was on a console was 2004 on the PS2 right? Is the market still so similar to 2004 that we can garner anything useful from the sales then? And then next two were Wii and Wii U. The Wii one is a bit unfortunate and I'm not sure how to assess it. But of course the Wii U one sold like shit. The Wii itself sells like shit. We can't expect much from a game like Monster Hunter on a dead console.

EDIT: Beaten of course :p
I'm not sure what the old ass PS2 MH games (when no one knew wtf MH was) and a Wii U game sales mean though.

Opiate

Seems right, I got
PS4 352k
XB1 276k
Wii U 98k

If this is correct, total current generation hardware sales were 726k this month. Some generation over generation comparisons:

Total sales for Wii/PS3/360 in February 2007 were 966k, sales down 25% gen over gen.

Total PS4/XB1 sales are ~628k; total PS3/360 sales were 534k. Up 18%

Leading console sales are down 22%
Second place console sales up 2%
Third place console sales down 62%

Vena

I never thought of Canvas as an experiment title, but you may be right.

Kirby has only appeared once since the 3DS release, Deluxe, excluding downloadable titles, so I don't think another 3DS title would of hurt its chances. Nonetheless, Wii U was hurting so I'm sure the title was green-light shortly after the Wii U launch as you point out.

I was just disappointed, I like Kirby so much :(

Does anyone have the numbers for Kirby: Triple Deluxe fo NOA?

Dunno, Canvas always felt to me like one of the first/biggest "experimental" games on the DS that really sold that touch control. It felt like a very under-appreciated test title. Rainbow is similar in its origins, I'd imagine, as HAL wanting to do a test of the control methods available while also throwing Kirby into a different type of game (as they did with Motion Controls and Grass Feels Like Pants™).

This just wasn't quite as good as Canvas and, for a budget title, not as good as Toad, and released at a rather poor season but, honestly, I think a game like Kirby is better suited to be released around this time than, say, DKTF sent out to fill in a gap. Kirby is a title that somehow always rolls along selling and even this title will sell some decent number after a long-ass time (probably around the holidays).

At the end of the day, its not like HAL is going to cry over it nor is Nintendo. Especially not a 40$ budget title with a shoe-string budget.

Agreed. MS isn't going to price drop... No point in doing it right now.

Wonder how the split is going to be for Hardline due to the Xbox audience enjoying shooters. I don't know what the split was for Battlefield 4 though.

Ye i cba going through the 2013 November NPD thread for the exact split, but it was 360>PS3>PS4>XB1 and then PC.

Type 0 will have a 75+% split on PS4.

and I'm scratching my head on how Lost Planet 2 is even somewhat similar to MH. Closest thing to MH outside of the "hunting genre" would be Souls and it's doing pretty well on the two relevant consoles + PC. Well, better than <300k in a month at least.
They would lose 3 million or more sales in Japan and would have to hope that the west covered it, that is not a risk worth taking and would really piss off their Japanese fans AND the game would cost a lot more to make.

Welfare

For anyone wondering about how March might look like after this month, March is actually almost always down compared to February, even with it having an extra week.

The average drop for the big 3 in the 7th gen (2010 onwards):

360 = -14%
PS3 = -16%
Wii = -6%

Including all years:

360 = -8%
PS3 = -13%
Wii = 0%

Removing the lowest and highest gain/drop:

360 = -11%
PS3 = -13%
Wii = -4%

Only years where March was > February was:

2006 X360
2007 PS3
2008 X360 WII
2010 WII

If this is correct, total current generation hardware sales were 726k this month. Some generation over generation comparisons:

Total sales for Wii/PS3/360 in February 2007 were 966k, sales down 25% gen over gen.

Which is far from the doom and gloom that has been the norm in nonholiday months so far this generation.

All around great showing.

VanWinkle

The Order did worse than I expected. I know it didn't review well but I figured it would be in the top 3 at least. I hope this doesn't mean anything bad about RaD and their future titles. I know they're a good developer; they've shown it before. The Order was not prioritized right and, in my opinion, a project too large a scope for them to handle, which is why it ended up being a barebones game with amazing presentation. It's a game that should have been huge, with large street locales like that one concept art piece, big grandiose story, detective/mystery/adventure elements, and a fleshed-out multiplayer component. It was too big a concept for RaD to tackle, and the game suffered despite their talent.

I think there's grounds to be concerned about the Order, but RAD? Eh, less so.

2nd worse case scenario, they'll go back to making God of War spin-offs, but for PS4 this time. Tech-wise, they're clearly capable.

I'm curious how/why you bought Majora's Mask three to four times.

You mean like these 4?

oYTMt2g.png

kqg1LFE.jpg

mz0G7QM.jpg

ERDTAZV.png

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Never would I have imagined that Dragon Ball Xenoverse would have achieved sales exceeding 200k in its monthly debut.

I'm guessing the bulk of the sales are from the kids who grew up with the show, now in their early twenties like myself, who purchased the game.

Fantastic result still, wow.

njean777

I think it could do some surprise numbers, March doesn't look very populated in terms of mainstream AAA titles.

I think Bloodborne will do better than any of the previous souls titles. Not much out and people want new games. Hardline will do ok, but I doubt as good as BF4. PS4 will win March as usual I assume as it has the bigger install base.

Bgamer90

Banned

Cool stats.

Top Bottom