• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Duster

Did we get any hints of the last-gen numbers? Are PS3/360/Wii so negligible they aren't worth discussing? At this point of the last generation PS2 was still very successful (352K in February 2008). The legs of the seventh generation consoles have been surprisingly (to me) bad.

I'm not surprised as the PS3 and 360 are still quite expensive when compared to a cheap slim PS2 at the same point of the last generation (I think my replacement PS2 cost £40).

sörine

Banned
I think it is very possible that we'll get some type of console version of 4U, even if it is only a mildly upgraded port of 4U. If Revelaitons 1 made the jump from 3DS to console, so can Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter's 3rd Generation consisted of (I hope this is complete):

Monster Hunter 3/Tri (Wii)
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/G (3DS, Wii U)

So far the 4th generation only has 4 and 4 U/G. As for 5, god only knows. It will probably won't come out until 2016 or 2017. Given that, I think it's definitely possible that they will try to stretch out 4 for another few releases. I think we might get one more 3DS release, with that release also coming to consoles in some form. The relative success of those releases will probably dictate what they do with the series going forward.

/wild speculation
It'll probably be 4U HD for the next Nintendo handheld launch, followed by 5. No doubt Iwata's got this series locked down tight.

Nameless

Well without knowing how much it cost and needed to make to break-even/earn a profit its hard to know that for sure. I'd describe it as "ok" personally, not necessarily bad, or good.

Yeah it did fine considering it launched late in the month and there hasn't been that big of a spotlight on a critical clusterfuck since probably Too Human...which cracked the top 10 too :

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/official-august-npd-console-numbers-15245/

Top 10 SKU's August 2008
(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units

360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 1 1.0mm
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 2 643K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 3 424.5K
WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 4 394.9K
WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 5 328.7K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 6 200.2K
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA Jul-08 7 174K
360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K
WII MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 9 115.8K
NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Jun-08 10 111.2K

Calamari41

41 > 38
If Nintendo's next handheld and home console share the same architecture and OS as Iwata has indicated, and it is a simple task to port games back and forth with graphical upgrades, then it would seem to be very unintuitive for Capcom to release Monster Hunter 5 for the next Nintendo handheld and the PS4. If what Iwata has said is followed through on, it would be all but free for Capcom to bring it to the next Nintendo console.

Elandyll

Banned
I'm not sure you'd want a game with 5 years of big budget development and sumptuous marketing barely charting above some Japanese niche title.

Source on the budget?

As per dev time, it also includes building a graphical engine for it.

RaD has a comparatively small team afaik (self described as a "between 50-200 employees" company), so it is unlikely that the budget was even in the vicinity of $50m imo. PD has around 100ish employees, I honestly don't see them being much larger.

Sales are probably disappointing for sure (we still have to hear about the situation on a WW scale), but above 200k units is not a "bomb" by any means either.

The big question remains if the sales will justify a sequel any time soon.
At least this time they wouldn't have to develop an engine from the ground up I guess.

Do not underestimate Microsoft marketing.

961486_original.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
Well supposedly the Xbox One is already $299.99 at all Sam's Clubs now. For everyone thats saying that it'll drop to 299 maybe it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Let's not forget that TR is also on 360, which doesn't really help. Halo 5 will certainly move units though.

The 360 and Ps3 are basically irrelevant outside of Ps3 legacy software sales in Japan. Tomb Raider releasing on 360 means about as much as Titanfall, Destiny, and Forza Horizon 2 releasing on 360. It will mean more for list wars than sales.

Halo 5 will sell 3+ million in November even if it sucks. It doesn't suck (played it at Pax east after an hour wait) so Ms doesn't have to worry about that.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Well supposedly the Xbox One is already $299.99 at all Sam's Clubs now. For everyone thats saying that it'll drop to 299 maybe it'll happen sooner rather than later.
I'm betting they'll do $299 with H5 bundle this holiday. Especially if PS4 continues to push dat gap.

dolemite

The Order 1886 underperformed, but we already saw glimpses of it from the UK charts, no need to act surprised. Now everything rests on Bloodborne's shoulders to save the month of March.

Let's not spoil the thread with whimsical Pachter quotes.

I... I can't... I can't help myself...

“The Wii U is a terrible alternative for someone who can only get one console because it’s got such limited software, and I think that Sony’s just winning that audience. I’m not sure what Sony has done. I know what Microsoft has done wrong, but Sony is clearly resonating better with the guys who were undecided. And I could be wrong, but I think of this much the way I think of people who have historically voted Democratic always voting for Democrats and people who have historically voted Republican voting for Republicans. I think that you just kind of own your console of choice and you will stick with that unless they do something really bad.” - See Bullet A

“I think that Microsoft probably screwed up at E3 in ‘13, but they recovered quickly and I don’t think that any gamers still harbor any bad feelings from the DRM that they haven’t implemented. I think that bundling Kinect and making people pay hurt them for that first year, but then they unbundled it and made it the same price as PS4. I still read guys posting on the internet saying “Oh, this is an all-in-one box,” and as a gaming device it is still inferior to the PS4. I suppose that if you look at, you know, DDR3 versus GDDR5 RAM, as if anyone is really taking advantage of all of that, I suppose maybe there’s some marginal difference in quality, but it’s marginal.” - See Figure B

“And again, I think that to get somebody to switch parties politically is tough, to get somebody to switch consoles I think is is tough, so it has to be explained as the Wii audience, as they grow up, is more interested in the PS4 for some reason. Maybe because Sony has been around longer and done a really great job. I mean, Sony has done nothing wrong this cycle at all.” - See Question 3

A. "I think that you just kind of own your console of choice and you will stick with that unless they do something really bad." Um... they did do something "really bad." Again and again and again. I was buying an Xbox One until they revealed the Xbox One. It began with #dealwithit and ended somewhere around "Kinect is integral/Have you SEEN Titanfall!?!?!/Can't just flip a switch/People who want backwards compatibility are backwards/we have a console for that-the 360/I'm off to kill Zynga now, peace out!"

B. I can't speak for everyone, but my memory isn't that short. I think Spencer has done a LOT to repair the Xbox One, but the taint of Mattrick still haunts the brand. I'm even willing to give up 100s of dollars of Rock Band DLC on my X360 because of the contempt I feel for the original vision of the XBO. I made my decision, I'm a one-console guy (due to time restraints) and I'm not going back. Mattrick wet-pooped the bed and now Spencer has to sleep in it.

3. I want to know if he's even remotely correct. How many of you are Wii converts and how many of you are X360 converts? I'm willing to bet the latter is a far larger number.

Jomjom

Banned
Precisely

What if Halo 5 turns out to be one of the best Haloes of all time?

What does that have to do with anything? My reply was in response to the parallel the other poster was trying to draw between H5 and FF15 and how theyre following up stumbles and whatnot. FF15 is coming after one of the best FFs of all time.

$299 yes, but only through May 2nd and lacks a bundled game and YMMV on availability. From the lack of bundled game this would have to be the vanilla SKU from, what, last October or even older? This mostly smells like a firesale to clear stock which is why availability would vary by store/region depending on where the biggest stockpiles of the things were in warehouses.

The AC bundle at $349 was actually a pretty damn good deal and even I'm a bit surprised that Sony got this win by a decent margin for a whole month at +$50 and nothing bundled. March is assuredly a squash. Microsoft has to now cope with the problem with their machine being predominately a lack of interest with it shown not to be firstly a matter of price.

Jomjom

Banned
$299 yes, but only through May 2nd and lacks a bundled game and YMMV on availability. From the lack of bundled game this would have to be the vanilla SKU from, what, last October or even older? This mostly smells like a firesale to clear stock which is why availability would vary by store/region depending on where the biggest stockpiles of the things were in warehouses.

The AC bundle at $349 was actually a pretty damn good deal and even I'm a bit surprised that Sony got this win by a decent margin for a whole month at +$50 and nothing bundled. March is assuredly a squash. Microsoft has to now cope with the problem with their machine being predominately a lack of interest with it shown not to be firstly a matter of price.

I think PS4s still come with TLOU right?

343 Studios..

You know what they say... Third time's the charm.

Kyoufu

What does that have to do with anything? My reply was in response to the parallel the other poster was trying to draw between H5 and FF15 and how theyre following up stumbles and whatnot. FF15 is coming after one of the best FFs of all time.

FFXV is coming after a long generation of XIII games which are considered to be the weakest FF games in a very long time. No matter what your opinion of a rebooted XIV is, it doesn't change the fact that these non-MMO FFs haven't been up to the standard of the series, much like how Halo 4 wasn't.

Besides, it was Square-Enix's former CEO who stated that FFXIV damaged the brand, so we can discuss that if you'd like.

Your claim is subjective. Objectively, FF14 was a massive blunder that took a significant effort to turn around after doing serious harm to the brand, as stated publically by Square. While the comparison to Halo is certainly open to valid criticism, it is disingenuous to deny that FF14 was at the least a 'stumble.'

JaggedSac

And, IIRC, Microsoft's Android payments go into the division that they put Xbox and Surface in, so that alone could buoy the division into profitability even if the products aren't doing that well.

Not anymore they don't(if they even did to begin with, since you are probably referring to that bollocks article from a while ago, from a bollocks analyst). Xbox software is in one division, Xbox hardware is in another. Android patents go in another.

Elandyll

Banned
Interestingly, February will be the first month imo where Amazon came "within a hair" of being wrong for the first time in 16 months (in terms of sales rankings)

January:
PS4 ranks #9 / ≈ 190k sales
XB1 ranks #18 / ≈ 150k sales

Delta in sales: ≈ 40k

February:
PS4 ranks #10 / ≈ 350k sales
XB1 ranks #11 / ≈ 275k sales

Delta in sales: ≈ 75k

This is what'll happen when one console will have big promos centered on Amazon (here, mostly XB1 with the $349 bundle with 3 games and 2nd controller), while the other has big promos -outside- of Amazon (PS4, with the trade in offer at Gamestop, and free PSTV for a week at Best Buy).

Ty4on

Did The Order do poorly for only one week of sales?
Yes. For most games the first week is quite important, especially when reviews haven't been so great. A drop of 70-80% MoM isn't uncommon, but I am a bit biased towards Japanese sales that generally have a bigger decline.

PhatSaqs

Banned
This is what'll happen when one console will have big promos centered on Amazon (here, mostly XB1 with the $349 bundle with 3 games and 2nd controller), while the other has big promos -outisde- of Amazon (PS4, with the trade in offer at Gamestop, and free PSTV for a week at Best Buy).
Both have consistently had promos on Amazon since BF which have continued adding more and more this year tho. PS4 had TLOU & Mordor in Feb. Now has TLOU + KZ + SSO up.

Elandyll

Banned
Both have consistently had promos on Amazon since BF which have continued adding more and more this year tho. PS4 had TLOU & Mordor in Feb. Now has TLOU + KZ + SSO up.

I double checked and the 3 games + 2nd controlelr of XB1 was indeed first week of March, but in Feb the best deals for PS4 were to be had outside of Amazon, no doubt about it (trade in bringing down the PS4 price to $275 at Gamestop, and Free PSTV at BestBuy, and apparently an Ebay special with the TLOU bundle @ $360 with 6 months of PS+).

The point is that we came real close to Amazon being wrong for the first time.

impact

Banned

Wait, what?

EGM1966

Interestingly, February will be the first month imo where Amazon came "within a hair" of being wrong for the first time in 16 months (in terms of sales rankings)

January:
PS4 ranks #9 / ≈ 190k sales
XB1 ranks #18 / ≈ 150k sales

Delta in sales: ≈ 40k

February:
PS4 ranks #10 / ≈ 350k sales
XB1 ranks #11 / ≈ 275k sales

Delta in sales: ≈ 75k

This is what'll happen when one console will have big promos centered on Amazon (here, mostly XB1 with the $349 bundle with 3 games and 2nd controller), while the other has big promos -outside- of Amazon (PS4, with the trade in offer at Gamestop, and free PSTV for a week at Best Buy).

The level to which Amazon reflects the general market (i.e. has mostly same deals, prices, etc) will certainly affect the degree to which it will give a good guide to the market. As you say big differences between Amazon pricing/deals and the rest of the market will skew things.

On another note in 2 slower months PS4 has recouped approx 115 K of the sales gap prior to Nov/.Dec. I wonder when it will erase Nov/Dec gains and how much it can increase the gap ahead of Nov/Dec 2015 in US?

Pezus

Am I the only one satisfied with sales of The Order? It should be at least around 300k FW in the US alone. Means comfortably over half a million first week and definitely over 1m lifetime worldwide, probably over 2m.

Pezus

Also, amazing month for PS4. Up YOY without a price cut and only a "flop" exclusive is highly impressive. Really good that it almost matched 3DS with its much hyped new model. PS4 should return to a comfortable #1 in March.

Top Bottom