• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Jomjom

Banned
FFXV is coming after a long generation of XIII games which are considered to be the weakest FF games in a very long time. No matter what your opinion of a rebooted XIV is, it doesn't change the fact that these non-MMO FFs haven't been up to the standard of the series, much like how Halo 4 wasn't.

Besides, it was Square-Enix's former CEO who stated that FFXIV damaged the brand, so we can discuss that if you'd like.

I think the distinction there is FFXIV was revamped and if anything is now a positive influence (arguably the only positive at least until type0 releases) on the brand. Last time I checked H4 and MCC still continue to damage the brand. I didnt see a H4:ARR. It's saying something when even Podcast Unlocked finds it difficult to say anything positive about H4.

343 Studios..

Wait... Bungie is back?

Come on guys.
Did the beta prove nothing?

Halo 4 was 343i's first game as a studio, and they also experienced a lot of growing pains throughout the development cycle...now that they are better established, and have experience + feedback, I am expecting their second go around to be much better.

I think that (as seen in the beta) 343i have made a lot of progress in improving the game, and Kevin Lobb and Greenie were both hyping up the campaign during thier interviews I believe...

So lets wait until we know more about the game before we automatically condemn it solely on the basis of the studio that is developing it.(Just FYI, Halo was not Bungie's first game....it took several tries before they came up with a hit)

Death2494

I double checked and the 3 games + 2nd controlelr of XB1 was indeed first week of March, but in Feb the best deals for PS4 were to be had outside of Amazon, no doubt about it (trade in bringing down the PS4 price to $275 at Gamestop, and Free PSTV at BestBuy, and apparently an Ebay special with the TLOU bundle @ $360 with 6 months of PS+).

The point is that we came real close to Amazon being wrong for the first time.

It was only because they launched an internal sale To deplete their ACU:bundle overstock. Bloodborne looks to be extremely difficult. Oh I definitely recommend those who like a challenge to give helldivers a shot if you're into top down shooters.

Death2494

Come on guys.
Did the beta prove nothing?

Halo 4 was 343i's first game as a studio, and they also experienced a lot of growing pains throughout the development cycle...now that they are better established, and have experience + feedback, I am expecting their second go around to be much better.

I think that (as seen in the beta) 343i have made a lot of progress in improving the game, and Kevin Lobb and Greenie were both hyping up the campaign during thier interviews I believe...

So lets wait until we know more about the game before we automatically condemn it solely on the basis of the studio that is developing it.(Just FYI, Halo was not Bungie's first game....it took several tries before they came up with a hit)
enjoyed Halo 4 SP. Didn't like the CoD MP though

GobFather

It was only because they launched an internal sale To deplete their ACU:bundle overstock. Bloodborne looks to be extremely difficult. Oh I definitely recommend those who like a challenge to give helldivers a shot if you're into top down shooters.
YES. It's super fun with more people, especially your friends. Haven't played with randoms yet lol

Am I the only one satisfied with sales of The Order? It should be at least around 300k FW in the US alone. Means comfortably over half a million first week and definitely over 1m lifetime worldwide, probably over 2m.

I highly doubt that.
As many here have said, it will likely have a big resale market because there is not much incentive to keep the game...
A lot of people will wait to get it used I think.

Regarding The Order, we don't know.

Even if Sony greenlits a sequel, we won't necessarily know.

Shu Yoshida once said that only 4 out of 10 games are 'profitable', and even amongst the profitable ones, the big hitters are the real money makers that make up for the losses of the 6 other games.

That's pretty much how it goes in most media (TV, movies, etc.)- you milk your sure hits to fund the risky new properties, some of which will flop and some of which will become new reliable income streams.

I'd imagine Sony (and MS, for the same reasons) can justify a higher ratio of unprofitable to profitable games, since even a game that doesn't make money on its own can indirectly make enough money via more systems sold, which means more PS+ subscriptions and more sofware royalties from third-parties, to be proftiable. This is the primary reason why you tend to see more "risky" releases from first parties than third parties.

enjoyed Halo 4 SP. Didn't like the CoD MP though

Same here.
I think Halo 5 beta felt much better than Halo 4, though it still definitely needs a lot of tweaking, and I am happy with the list they announced, though I hope they go even further than that.

I think Sales will be incredibly interesting....
I don't think that any main line Halo game has sold less than 5M copies, so be interesting if it can somehow muster that on X1's userbase which will probably be around 15-16M at launch....

Really, really happy to see Majora's Mask performance for many reasons:

1. Zelda franchise still strong.
2. 3DS outperforming everyone else is great after many "portable market is dying" doomsayings.
3. Strong acceptance for this aesthetics (which I prefer over the cel-shading)
4. Nintendo in it's core approach doing well.

Pezus

I highly doubt that.
As many here have said, it will likely have a big resale market because there is not much incentive to keep the game...
A lot of people will wait to get it used I think.

When games like Killzone: SF managed 2.1m in a few weeks and almost everything is doing better on PS4 than it was on PS3 I don't see why not. The Order is bundled in some places so it won't die out completely just yet.

Game Guru

I think the distinction there is FFXIV was revamped and if anything is now a positive influence (arguably the only positive at least until type0 releases) on the brand. Last time I checked H4 and MCC still continue to damage the brand. I didnt see a H4:ARR. It's saying something when even Podcast Unlocked finds it difficult to say anything positive about H4.

In essence, both the Final Fantasy and Halo brands are damaged, but Square Enix is putting in the effort to actually repair the Final Fantasy brand and make it known that they are repairing the Final Fantasy brand as shown by how they completely revamped FF14 with A Realm Reborn, going from a crappy game that was a stain to the brand to a relatively great console MMORPG. Now, it can be said that 343 is putting in the effort to fix the issues with MCC, but they did not completely rebrand MCC alongside their revamping of it as Square Enix did with FF14, so many are still stuck with the first impression of MCC being broken. In addition, people know that 343 isn't Bungie and 343 hasn't yet proven themselves to be able to make a Halo game as good as Halo 1, 2, or 3. It is possible that many people who played Halo games in the past are following Bungie and thus moving to Destiny instead of sticking with Halo despite Bungie moving on.

impact

Banned
Yup I put FFXIV:ARR (yeah the original was fucked up) right below FFIV and FFVI. Also has the best minigame implementation, better than all the prior FFs put together. Dat gold saucer and addictive triple triad.

Well I strongly disagree but at least you were talking about 14 and not 13

Whenever someone says 13 is the best FF I have to make a mental note of the person/avatar that said that so I can never listen to anything they say :)

The level to which Amazon reflects the general market (i.e. has mostly same deals, prices, etc) will certainly affect the degree to which it will give a good guide to the market. As you say big differences between Amazon pricing/deals and the rest of the market will skew things.

On another note in 2 slower months PS4 has recouped approx 115 K of the sales gap prior to Nov/.Dec. I wonder when it will erase Nov/Dec gains and how much it can increase the gap ahead of Nov/Dec 2015 in US?

i think by july-august we can have a good guess if sony is going to increase the gap they made last year. it just need to sell an average of ~80K more consoles than XB1 to erase the gap and to me that's a given in this next 8 months (including march), imo.

i think all will depend on how many consoles can the only current gen games that release in april to september perform on both consoles

Really, really happy to see Majora's Mask performance for many reasons:

2. 3DS outperforming everyone else is great after many "portable market is dying" doomsayings.

I honestly dont think 400K for a new handheld launch is great. Just IMO, but although its better than every PSP February except one, it's lower than just about every DS Feb, and without the new HW launch and DS deals I doubt the HW market would've even hit PS4 sales for this month.

I mean, it's OK as far as the total handheld market in current situation is doing but I expected a lot better. 3DS even with the new HW launch has the potential to still fall under the year previous.

btw, while looking for games release dates. it got me thinking, could PlanetSide 2 be one of the holidays games or not getting a retail release makes this game an invalid option ?

What does that have to do with anything? My reply was in response to the parallel the other poster was trying to draw between H5 and FF15 and how theyre following up stumbles and whatnot. FF15 is coming after one of the best FFs of all time.
I think his point is that FFXV is coming off of the major critical success that is FFXIV, while Halo 5 isn't in the same situation. Regardless of that, I too think Halo 5 can also be huge.
Sorry, I missed the FFXIV vs FFXV thing. You're correct.
343 Studios..
Wait... Bungie is back?
:p you guys.

Pezus

It's a disaster, ip is dead who would want a sequal to that?

Many people would.

To the guy asking: It didn't do bad but it didn't do that well either. Still, it will probably not lose a lot of money. I can see it selling 2m+ worldwide eventually.

When games like Killzone: SF managed 2.1m in a few weeks and almost everything is doing better on PS4 than it was on PS3 I don't see why not. The Order is bundled in some places so it won't die out completely just yet.

Killzone SF was a launch game so of coarse it sold a lot! Even Knack passed a million easy.
The Order is not a launch game, and even if it was it does not have the same appeal of an established franchise like Killzone which also got much better reviews.

Also, just because games sell "better" on PS4 doesn't mean that every AAA exclusive is automatically going to sell 2M+ look at Driveclub as an example.
Sure it did good in Europe, but it is not like it is going to hit 2M retail sales anytime soon...

small44

Losing Uncharted 4 is a big blow, but Uncharted 4 was never really a 2015 game, so Sony has had a long time to prepare for this. Surely they have something up their sleeves?

Personally, I think a price cut worldwide would make sense, and before anyone counters this with "bububut it's selling like hotcakes" then I'd like to remind them that PS2 dropped price when it was also selling like hotcakes.

Uncharted usually launch at Setptember or november so i was a bit disappointed

lt519

I don't know if I'd read into the Majoras Masks sales being an indicator of Zelda still being strong. A lot of people like me just bought it to have something to play on their new toy. I've barely touched it and passed on the OoT remake originally and would have passed on this if it was just a regular 3DS game.

Tookay

I don't know if I'd read into the Majoras Masks sales being an indicator of Zelda still being strong. A lot of people like me just bought it to have something to play on their new toy. I've barely touched it and passed on the OoT remake originally and would have passed on this if it was just a regular 3DS game.
So you're just using your anecdotal self as the basis for this?

You really think that a statistically significant number of people did the same thing as you?

Rymuth

Oh yeah I forgot these were out!

So even with a full month of cheaper Xbone, PS4 came out on top? Is Arthur Gies okay?

Oh! I knew I saved that tweet for a reason.

B9rl_RKt_IMAAy_Kf0.jpg

Wonder what his excuse will be this time around.

Busaiku

The smart money told them to stop a long time ago, that MH would never succeed in America, that it's a Japanese series with a Japanese mentality that can't find a foothold in this new, modern game industry. And 300k isn't the biggest deal in the world, they're at least at the ballgame, which very few people could have predicted five years ago.

The smart money was what they followed.
They released Monster Hunter Tri, it experienced massive growth over previous titles, and then followed up with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate which likely ended up being bigger than that (it did in its debut month at least). And the main version (which sold much, much more, even outside of Japan) didn't even have online.
Now they've got a pretty good footing in the US, and it'll likely continue to expand, with such positive reception, and continued support (through free DLC).

Giving up after Monster Hunter Tri would've been a very stupid move on their part.

So what are the predictions for The Order now?

How long until it breaks a million? Will it?

It will, but it's going to see some heavy discounting along the way. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes well over a million between sales and pack-ins.

whether sony thinks that's a success and greenlights the Order 2 remains in doubt. the hope might be that there's a major leap in quality from TO->TO2 and that most of the expensive tech-work has already been done with the first game's release.

Pezus

Killzone SF was a launch game so of coarse it sold a lot! Even Knack passed a million easy.
The Order is not a launch game, and even if it was it does not have the same appeal of an established franchise like Killzone which also got much better reviews.

Also, just because games sell "better" on PS4 doesn't mean that every AAA exclusive is automatically going to sell 2M+ look at Driveclub as an example.
Sure it did good in Europe, but it is not like it is going to hit 2M retail sales anytime soon...

Being a launch game has typically been seen as a disadvantage instead of a massive advantage. The user base is tiny. I guess PS4 could be seen as a bit of an anomaly since its initial sales and the weeks following were massive. BUT, Killzone barely got better reviews than The Order, they both underperformed in that regard. Also, word of mouth for The Order seems mostly positive from what I've seen. Most people calling it shit haven't played it and are only going by a select few reviews.

I am looking at DriveClub and I see decent sales. That game should reach 2m as well. It sold a lot in the UK and quite a bit in the rest of Europe. Don't look at US sales as a barometer for worldwide sales of racers. As an example, GT5 barely sold 2m in the US but had sold close to 11m worldwide as of 2013.

lt519

So you're just using your anecdotal self as the basis for this?

You really think that a statistically significant number of people did the same thing as you?

I think it's possible. I was just implying that a game heavily tied to the release of new hardware may not be conclusively indicative of the games strength.

Not bashing Nintendo or Zelda. A Link Between Worlds was my favorite game on the 3DS. Just food for thought.

Being a launch game has typically been seen as a disadvantage instead of a massive advantage. The user base is tiny. I guess PS4 could be seen as a bit of an anomaly since its initial sales and the weeks following were massive. BUT, Killzone barely got better reviews than The Order, they both underperformed in that regard. Also, word of mouth for The Order seems mostly positive from what I've seen. Most people calling it shit haven't played it and are only going by a select few reviews.

I am looking at DriveClub and I see decent sales. That game should reach 2m as well. It sold a lot in the UK and quite a bit in the rest of Europe. Don't look at US sales as a barometer for worldwide sales of racers. As an example, GT5 barely sold 2m in the US but had sold close to 11m worldwide as of 2013.

not really, you want to tell us US=/=world and then try extrapolating UK=Europe? lol

also: GT5 US:world ratio is like 18%, so if Driveclub had the same ratio it would need 360k in the US

(though I suppose they can still hit 2 million if they bundle it everywhere as hard as they did in UK)

Pezus

not really, you want to tell us US=/=world and then try extrapolating UK=Europe? lol

also: GT5 US:world ratio is like 18%, so if Driveclub had the same ratio it would need 360k in the US

What? I never said that.

I remember it charting decently in Germany.

DriveClub got no bundle in the US but got bundles in Europe so the ratio could be even lower than for GT5. But, even 360k lifetime sales doesn't sound that far fetched when digital is included.

Kill3r7

To be fair, genres matter. In today's market, action oriented TPS games tend to sell a lot better than racing games. However, people also need to keep their expectations in check. One cannot ignore previous sales data and think that Gears or TLOU are the norm rather than the exception. Typically, it takes time to develop a AAA franchise.

As a franchise, the Order undoubtably has a long road ahead but anything is possible if you are determined enough and have the necessary resources.

fastmower

Don't most people want a sequel because they believe all of the fundamental problems with it as a game would be magically fixed in a sequel?

Don't be daft; of course it won't be magically fixed. Most people believe the devs will take the criticism to heart, and through hard work, will improve the game in a sequel.

allan-bh

It's disadvantage for big IPs that sell a lot. For others cases could be good, install base is lower but the attach rate is higher because of the few game options that consumers have.

Top Bottom