• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

ethomaz

Banned
It's disadvantage for big IPs that sell a lot. For others cases could be good, install base is lower but the attach rate is higher because of the few game options that consumers have.
I agree... of course each case is a different case but big IPs receive more from bigger user base than new IPs (these receive more from early adopters and word of mouth).

Do you think Uncharted 2 was better than Uncharted?

I didn't think Uncharted was fundamentally a poor design.

EDIT: to clarify
I mean, what are the problems with The Order that a hypothetical sequel can solve?
Lack of development time / rushed to meet a deadline? Nope.
Lack of budget? Nope.
Unpolished experience that needed refining? Nope.

These are things sequels traditionally 'repair' by iterating on the things the first title got right.
The things The Order got wrong are things that a sequel can't fix outside of not being an iterative sequel anymore.

Oh! I knew I saved that tweet for a reason.

B9rl_RKt_IMAAy_Kf0.jpg

Wonder what his excuse will be this time around.

Yeah, someone should check his usual spot outside Phil Spencer's bedroom window, where he spends his time writing damage-controlling tweet and penning love poems.

"O Phillip, fair Phillip, with walnut hair so fine
I shall sing your praises and fight your battles
Until your heart is mine.

O Phillip, dear Phillip, from whose gaze I cannot break
If NPD gives Sony a win
There must be some mistake."

ethomaz

Banned
I wonder how many Forza games Microsoft can put out before GT7 is released.
I think it is a mistake from MS... each new Forza game sell less than the previous... it is like the franchise reached a fatigue.

Look at the case of GT games... fans waited so much time for GT5 and it sold ~12m... and in few years (less than 2 years) GT6 was launched together with PS4 and it really sold so low for the franchise (even less than Prologue versions).

I guess wait some time to get more sales is a better option for the Forza grow.

Kyoufu

I think it is a mistake from MS... each new Forza game sell less than the previous... it is like the franchise reached a fatigue.

Look at the case of GT games... fans waited so much time for GT5 and it sold ~12m... and in few years (less than 2 years) GT6 was launched together with PS4 and it really sold so low for the franchise (even less than Prologue versions).

I think what really hurt GT6 was that it launched on the wrong platform, at a time when PS3 owners were moving onto PS4.

A handful of PS3 titles in 2013 should have been PS4 games instead.

Journey

Banned
Best February ever for Microsoft:

“Xbox One’s fan base continues to grow with record February sales in the U.S. for Xbox One and 84 percent more consoles sold compared to January 2015. In February 2015, fans spent an average of 74 hours on Xbox Live in the U.S. – three times the amount of hours the average user spends on social networks*. And, Xbox Live set new records, quadrupling global gaming hours on Xbox One and Xbox 360 in February 2015 compared to February 2014. We are grateful to our fans for choosing to play on Xbox One. Offerings and experiences will continue to expand with Xbox One and 'Halo: The Master Chief Collection' available together for $349, new games launching this month including 'ScreamRide' and 'Ori and the Blind Forest,' hundreds of new ID@Xbox games in development, and plans to make gaming even better on Windows 10 and Xbox.” – Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing, Microsoft

This is amazing.

Master Chief collection bundled for $349 is pretty crazy. If online issues are fixed, this is almost twisting my arm lol.

Kill3r7

Except there is no guarantee that waiting helps sales. Racing games in general have taken a bit of an nose dive lately.

SSReborn

To be fair, genres matter. In today's market, action oriented TPS games tend to sell a lot better than racing games. However, people also need to keep their expectations in check. One cannot ignore previous sales data and think that Gears or TLOU are the norm rather than the exception. Typically, it takes time to develop a AAA franchise.

As a franchise, the Order undoubtably has a long road ahead but anything is possible if you are determined enough and have the necessary resources.
All the order would take is a slight rebranding.
call it (bit of a spoiler)
The Rebellion
and your good to go the hardcore will know what it is but the point is to prove that it's worth giving another look to them. People less in the know will just see it as a new ip.

I said this before but I can see gt7 launching alongside Morpheus in early 2016.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I didn't think Uncharted was fundamentally a poor design.

EDIT: to clarify
I mean, what are the problems with The Order that a hypothetical sequel can solve?
Lack of development time / rushed to meet a deadline? Nope.
Lack of budget? Nope.
Unpolished experience that needed refining? Nope.

These are things sequels traditionally 'repair' by iterating on the things the first title got right.
The things The Order got wrong are things that a sequel can't fix outside of not being an iterative sequel anymore.

The Order can do a LOT of things to make it a better game.

For starters make it more of a "game." More gameplay, less cutscenes. In fact, I'd go as far to say make it a Gears of War clone with multiplayer.

THe setting and characters were interesting enough and they could still easily keep the cinematic feel that the game needs.

I think what really hurt GT6 was that it launched on the wrong platform, at a time when PS3 owners were moving onto PS4.

A handful of PS3 titles in 2013 should have been PS4 games instead.

biggest offender to me is GTA5 for both consoles, imagine the sales of both consoles if GTA5 was only current gen and pc

Percy

Banned
So lets wait until we know more about the game before we automatically condemn it solely on the basis of the studio that is developing it.

Why should anyone do that exactly? In the time since Halo 4 came out 343 have knowingly released a broken product in Halo MCC (Which Microsoft actively deceived the media into believing worked before they reviewed it so as to mislead the public about what the consumer product they'd be buying was like lets not forget) which almost 6 months later still doesn't seem to be fully functional.

"Beta" or no, anyone willing to trust any studio who (In addition to not yet making a genuinely good game) will happily be party to such truly underhanded bullshit would have to be wearing some grade A blinkers imo.

Master Chief collection bundled for $349 is pretty crazy. If online issues are fixed, this is almost twisting my arm lol.

Doesn't sound like it.

watership

Why should anyone do that exactly? In the time since Halo 4 came out 343 have knowingly released a broken product in Halo MCC (Which Microsoft actively deceived the media into believing worked before they reviewed it so as to mislead the public about what the consumer product they'd be buying was like lets not forget) which almost 6 months later still doesn't seem to be fully functional.

"Beta" or no, anyone willing to trust any studio who (In addition to not yet making a genuinely good game) will happily be party to such truly underhanded bullshit would have to be wearing some grade A blinkers imo.

Doesn't sound like it.

Your posts read like you have a emotional vendetta against 343i.

Yes, but my point is that that isn't how videogame sequels work.
"Just add more entirely new gameplay" is not easily done.
Not in a way that "improve the graphics", "have more levels" or "polish existing mechanics" can be done.

Yep The order needs a complete redesign in many areas the biggest one being the level design .

GTA V sold more on last gen than all current gen consoles put together.

that's what im trying to say, imagine if the game was only available on current consoles and pc. now, i doubt even with pc release current gen and pc sales will ever catch up to last gen sales of the game. the adoption rate of current gen consoles would have been even bigger imo

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
"Just add more entirely new gameplay" is not easily done.
Not in a way that "improve the graphics", "have more levels" or "polish existing mechanics" can be done.
That's precisely what they've done in UC2 for example. They've added character traversal and combat over movable surfaces. That's probably a more complex technical addition than anything Order would need to do to make it a better game. IMO, Order needs better encounter and level design, more content and more enemy variety. That would make it a much better game. Also, probably just do away completely with the stealth. Its shooting and traversal mechanics are very enjoyable and it's weapons are fun to use.

LifEndz

PS4 is an absolute beast. Really that the Order charted. Expected the almost universal negative reviews to keep that from happening.

joecanada

I got 10-20 kills per Crucible match (depends of the mode... there are some I got 20-30 kills).

That will take so long to fullfill that 5000 kills with the class :(

its 5000 points not kills, its actually quite easy

(sad state of affairs that i know exactly what he's talking about in totally wrong thread)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know why anyone is bringing up UC2 as a talking point regarding a hypothetical The Order 2.

Nobody levelled the actual gameplay criticisms that The Order has received at Uncharted.
Huh? UC was very much criticized for "auto-platforming", poor gunplay, bullet sponge enemies, just on top of my head.

HORRORSHØW

Yeah, someone should check his usual spot outside Phil Spencer's bedroom window, where he spends his time writing damage-controlling tweet and penning love poems.

If NPD gives Sony a win

bwahahaha bravo

Huh? UC was very much criticized for "auto-platforming" and poor gunplay.

What? General critical consensus was that the first game was a lot of fun with a good mix of different gameplay elements and people were looking forward to seeing where it went.

General critical consensus of The Order is that it is super good looking, but there's almost no actual game in there, and what is there is pretty mediocre.

I'm sure you can find individuals who will say different things, but thats the critical consensus behind the two, and Uncharted has a good metacritic while the Order doesn't.

geordiemp

its 5000 points not kills, its actually quite easy

(sad state of affairs that i know exactly what he's talking about in totally wrong thread)

Yup, use a void sniper as points accrue more quickly with a streak...stay back...or use a void fusion.

Dat Thorn...did it twice, once for my son...

The Order can do a LOT of things to make it a better game.

For starters make it more of a "game." More gameplay, less cutscenes. In fact, I'd go as far to say make it a Gears of War clone with multiplayer.

THe setting and characters were interesting enough and they could still easily keep the cinematic feel that the game needs.

Honestly, I agree with this. The 10% of the game where you actually get to DO something was mildly entertaining. It did fall into some of the same traps that GoW fell into, in that it was just the same basic set of 5 enemies over and over and over, but that can be remedied as well. The guns felt good, again when you actually got to use them, and the story is pretty cool when you're not being bludgeoned over the head with it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What? General critical consensus was that the first game was a lot of fun with a good mix of different gameplay elements and people were looking forward to seeing where it went.
I personally didn't mind any of that in UC, and I loved its terrain traversal systems, but there were definitely criticisms about all of that. Personally, I don't mind a lot of things that TO is being criticized for either. It's an obvious thing to point out that two games came out at very different times, where expectations are accordingly very different for many people.

Praise Jesus, Reggie, and Iwata! (Also space raptor jesus)

A Nintendo game charts at number 1!

Take THAT, modern games!

Zelda, fuck yeah.

Not just Zelda, but Majora's Mask. one of the best Zeldas. :)

Coincidentally, I was also satisfied with February 2013's NPD, where Sly 4 charted! That was magical. :)

Every time Microsoft has a big game people immediately jump on the "bundle" band-wagon.

Why?

Do people not realize the point of big games is to actually make money off the game? And that by bundling it you immediately lose some of that?

I understand some bundles will happen. But if every single game they make of note gets bundled you are seriously killing profits, and for what? So that your next game will get bundled too?

Good point.

that's what im trying to say, imagine if the game was only available on current consoles and pc. now, i doubt even with pc release current gen and pc sales will ever catch up to last gen sales of the game. the adoption rate of current gen consoles would have been even bigger imo

While it's certainly true that GTA V being exclusive to "next gen" consoles would have increased demand for them, why should Rockstar care about that? Especially when it would be to their own detriment - they got to sell to everyone, and now get to sell to users who've upgraded, too.

Plus, it would be silly to flush years of 360/PS3 development down the toilet.

Bgamer90

Banned
Oh! I knew I saved that tweet for a reason.

B9rl_RKt_IMAAy_Kf0.jpg

Wonder what his excuse will be this time around.

Not trying to defend but I wouldn't really say it's fair to use what he said in January in this fashion.

Those weeks in January could have made up the majority of PS4 sales (due to the system being cheaper during that period) -- both systems were under 200K that month.

The price increase did some pretty decent damage and it was a stupid experiment from MS.

Every time Microsoft has a big game people immediately jump on the "bundle" band-wagon.

Why?

Do people not realize the point of big games is to actually make money off the game? And that by bundling it you immediately lose some of that?

I understand some bundles will happen. But if every single game they make of note gets bundled you are seriously killing profits, and for what? So that your next game will get bundled too?

Good point.

Agreed. Highly doubt that we will see any price cut bundles with Halo 5 included.

MS will put Halo 5 in special (more expensive) console bundles.

ethomaz

Banned
Not trying to defend but I wouldn't really say it's fair to use what he said in January in this fashion.

Those weeks in January could have made up the majority of PS4 sales (due to the system being cheaper during that period) -- both systems were under 200K that month.

The price increase did some pretty decent damage and it was a stupid experiment from MS.
So how MS loose February too that is a full price cut month?

Gies doesn't know nothing about what he says.

JaggedSac

Same here.
I think Halo 5 beta felt much better than Halo 4, though it still definitely needs a lot of tweaking, and I am happy with the list they announced, though I hope they go even further than that.

I think Sales will be incredibly interesting....
I don't think that any main line Halo game has sold less than 5M copies, so be interesting if it can somehow muster that on X1's userbase which will probably be around 15-16M at launch....

I had a friggen blast with the Halo 5 beta. Movement and traversal felt soooo damn good.

I don't think the changes needed for an Order sequel are that drastic.
-Enemy encounters were pretty fun, but needed to be a bit more open and introduce more of them, but perhaps shorter to keep the level moving along.
-Too many long cutscenes. Easy, just cut them down and use more dialogue during actual gameplay. Game does this in places already so it shouldn't be a big deal.
-Investigating things need to have a purpose. Have them properly tracked and have actual ties to the plot or subplots.
-Werewolves. Ok, the smaller werewolf encounters need to be completely rehauled; they were trash. I think the boss encounters are ok, though.
-Which brings me to QTE's. Fine for some bosses, but just use less of them for the run of the mill stuff. Seems doable.
-Story. I enjoyed the first one, but the
Lord Hastings
stuff should have progressed further. The sequel can leave room open, but also needs to tell a complete story.

Anyway, The Order as a series is far from being beyond saving in my opinion.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Agreed. Highly doubt that we will see any price cut bundles with Halo 5 included.

MS will put Halo 5 in special (more expensive) console bundles.

I agree. Whatever bundle they decide to market holiday 2015 it isn't going to be Halo 5. That game will be used to make back some of the money lost by bundling Tomb Raider or The Division or whatever game they decide to go with.

Bgamer90

Banned
So how MS loose February too that is a full price cut month?

Gies doesn't know nothing about what he says.

January didn't have any major game releases.

PS4 had a pretty big release in February (The Order) which I'm sure helped sales a bit (regardless of its reception). The Xbox One not having any major exclusives isn't going to help sales -- regardless of the system being cheaper.

Safe to say that the PS4 has a lock on this year until possibly August at the earliest.

If NPD gives Sony a win

AND JUST LIKE THAT THIS THREAD GAVE ME SOME LULZ

Nicely done. I genuinely chuckled and stifled a hard laugh.

Dynomutt

Most fanboish post of the thread?

Anyway, just because The Order charted doesn't mean it's selling well. Review scores usually affect a game's leg, not how much it sells in its opening week.

What's crazy is Sunsent Overdrive was praised, some even said for GOTY. It didn't even chart if I remember correctly.

maxiell

If you missed out on the holiday deals, or were expecting PS4 to sell for less during that period and chose not to buy, you probably would wait until February to bite the bullet. There will be substantial games in pre-holiday months and PS4 (and Xbox One) is selling on the strength of that. The Gamestop promotion was huge.

These people could care less about exclusives, they just want a console that plays the new games.

I think The Order and Evolve both should have launched at $40. Comparing either game to the huge amount of content in recent releases like GTAV, TLOU and Destiny doesn't work. Not everything needs to be $60 - it's more important to grow your audience for new IPs.

I don't think the changes needed for an Order sequel are that drastic.
-Enemy encounters were pretty fun, but needed to be a bit more open and introduce more of them, but perhaps shorter to keep the level moving along.
-Too many long cutscenes. Easy, just cut them down and use more dialogue during actual gameplay. Game does this in places already so it shouldn't be a big deal.
-Investigating things need to have a purpose. Have them properly tracked and have actual ties to the plot or subplots.
-Werewolves. Ok, the smaller werewolf encounters need to be completely rehauled; they were trash. I think the boss encounters are ok, though.
-Which brings me to QTE's. Fine for some bosses, but just use less of them for the run of the mill stuff. Seems doable.
-Story. I enjoyed the first one, but the
Lord Hastings
stuff should have progressed further. The sequel can leave room open, but also needs to tell a complete story.

Anyway, The Order as a series is far from being beyond saving in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more with your summary, I loved the game but it had weaknesses that could be tightened up in a sequel. I think the smaller werewolves would have been fine if they were used in a more open environment, the cut and paste interior with boxes was a bit silly when all's said and done.

Aren't the run of the mill QTEs actually just contextual prompts rather than QTEs, those are timing based.

Top Bottom