• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Arpharmd B said:
Madworld did sub 40k opening month IIRC.

Yes, I remember that NPD and those comments.

We don't know the numbers but I'll bet my left nut it's above 100k on 360 and combined with PS3, I'll wager around 200k. Combined with Japan that's nearly 500k. Add in Europe and this could end up being a million seller. It's already a million shipper.

Bayonetta is not the bomb of the month. It's the luke-warm, somewhat depressingly mild opening of the month. Dark Void is the bomb of the month. Wait until you see the numbers.

I wonder how much bigger is Bayonetta's budget compared to Madworld.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
lordmrw said:
Capcom mentioned on their forums that they are happy with how its selling so far.

That was before they even got week 1 data though. But yeah, Seth Killian said he was happy based on the first couple of days' sales.

AceBandage said:
Not sure how that's scary.
The game just isn't appealing (or all that good).

It's a bit scary for a midmajor release to not sell ANY copies. It's not like this was a niche' game you would expect to sell 1 or 2 copies. There was significant in store advertising, and some tv commercials. Clearly Capcom expected more than what is going to be an absolute neutron bomb.

Owzers

Before Wii came out, selling 100k tended to get your game on the charts and was considered a good start from the Gaf Collective. Then Wii gradually introduced the same 2 to 4 games that were consistent great sellers, thus pushing 100k selling new releases out of the top ten to make way for reappearing Wii Play, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, etc.

used to be :

300k+ = great start!
100k+ = yay you didnt bomb!
100< = bomba? nooooooooooo curse you gamers!

_Xenon_

Banned
Piece of shit like Army of Two or Just Dance did better than Bayonetta? WTF?? What are kids buying these days?

BTW the software chart probably didn't cover everything. Didn't THQ just said Darksiders sold 2M?

AniHawk

I don't usually jump into the blame game on the Wii 3rd party argument, but I think UbiSoft really dropped the ball here. They had a lot of good will with the first game, had a better received sequel, and completely disregarded it by not marketing it. Even worse, they released it on a day when Mass Effect 2 and TVC came out. From my perspective, it doesn't even look like they cared that they had a sequel to something that made them money.

Capcom's decision to market TVC really puzzles me too. There was no way in hell that game was ever selling anything. "Versus Capcom" isn't a franchise people rush to the store for, and Tatsunoko is a complete unknown. People were never going to care that this was a lot like Marvel vs. Capcom. The effort put into TVC- the extra characters, the online, and the marketing- it all shows that Capcom really cared about this title and wanted it to sell quite a bit. It makes me wonder why DSC didn't get an ad campaign though, when that was obviously the better choice to make as far as raising peoples' awareness. To me, it's as Sega advertising The Conduit but not Sonic and the Black Knight.

Which brings me back to UbiSoft: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom outsold NMH2? Really? With the kind of fanbase each series has on the Wii (nonexistent vs. healthy enough to make a sequel)? Talk about mismanagement.

AniHawk said:
I don't usually jump into the blame game on the Wii 3rd party argument, but I think UbiSoft really dropped the ball here. They had a lot of good will with the first game, had a better received sequel, and completely disregarded it by not marketing it. Even worse, they released it on a day when Mass Effect 2 and TVC came out. From my perspective, it doesn't even look like they cared that they had a sequel to something that made them money.

Capcom's decision to market TVC really puzzles me too. There was no way in hell that game was ever selling anything. "Versus Capcom" isn't a franchise people rush to the store for, and Tatsunoko is a complete unknown. People were never going to care that this was a lot like Marvel vs. Capcom. The effort put into TVC- the extra characters, the online, and the marketing- it all shows that Capcom really cared about this title and wanted it to sell quite a bit. It makes me wonder why DSC didn't get an ad campaign though, when that was obviously the better choice to make as far as raising peoples' awareness. To me, it's as Sega advertising The Conduit but not Sonic and the Black Knight.

Which brings me back to UbiSoft: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom outsold NMH2? Really? With the kind of fanbase each series has on the Wii (nonexistent vs. healthy enough to make a sequel)? Talk about mismanagement.

Indeed, isn't Ubisoft such a wonderful company?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TV ad.

Both had really decent buzz in the months leading up, and just slapping VS Capcom on something is enough to get some people (not a huge amount, but some) excited, even if its not Mahvel Baybee!

dolemite said:
Choosing between Bayonetta and Darksiders, I would certainly go for Darksiders.
Choosing between Zelda and Ninja Gaiden, I would certainly go for Ninja Gaiden. Between Halo and Guitar Hero, I'd chose Halo.

AniHawk said:

And Capcom should be applauded for their efforts. The TV spot is really well done. I really hope the game finds its market. Furthermore, there's evidence that Capcom is ressurecting the Vs. brand and wants to turn it into a big franchise again.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Andrex said:
Better than 30k according to creamsugar.

And my reasons for not getting NMH2 are similar (I also only had enough money for one game.)

TvC outselling NMH2 is still fucking bizarre to me.
To be fair TvC did have better exposure. Sales deals, online banners, TV commericial, videos released frequently, press releases, nintendo World store launch ,etc..

It is really the only reason I can think off... :/

qirex99

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
2 things killed bayonetta's opening act:

1- overall lack of marketting
2- All the bad press the PS3 version got. Not any press is good press, a significant amount of the talk about the game b4 release in the press/forums was "OMG Bayonetta PS3 is SOOOOOO Terrible!!!".

nah....

the reason that bayonetta bombed so hard is because the demo probably turned off a large majority of normal western gamers.

i really wanted to like it but felt almost the same way I did when I lost interest in NG2 (and all other games of its ilk). Seriously - where is the fun?  Ive not played beyond the demo level, but reports of cheap enemies, trial/error gameplay and that tired old masochistic requirement = epic fail.

Seriously, the japanese devs need to realize that ppl play geames for ENJOYMENT these days....

AniHawk

AceBandage said:
Indeed, isn't Ubisoft such a wonderful company?

The few games I do like from them tend to get fucked with in some way. Prince of Persia went all smoldering rage after Sands of Time. Michel Ancel's NEXT GAME keeps getting fucked with in some way or another (it's been seven years since we've had a game he wanted to do). Meanwhile, Red Steel gets a sequel, and more than that- the team is allowed to start from scratch when the original Red Steel 2 wasn't really working out.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Dark Void numbers are going to be scary.

It's one of the "perpetual skus" we have to count every morning.

There were 11 copies for 360 the day it came out. There have been 11 copies since. No restocks, just the same 11 copies sitting in a drawer.

Not sure, but it can't be that huge. Shipping a million units probably turned an ok profit. I can't say the same for Madworld, even with a smaller budget I doubt the game would even break even with sales like that.

squicken

DR2K said:
It's a shame a lot of people are missing out on Bayonetta.

I would be pimping the game to my friends list, except that 50 out of 100 friends already have the game.

My friends list is not to blame. We did our part.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Dark Void probably cost a fair amount to make.

They could have probably done RE5 Wii edition with that money and made a shitload more.

The idea is not to put all your core games as exclusives on wii... far from it.

The idea is to spread the love.

qirex99 said:
nah....

the reason that bayonetta bombed so hard is because the demo probably turned off a large majority of normal western gamers.

i really wanted to like it but felt almost the same way I did when I lost interest in NG2 (and all other games of its ilk). Seriously - where is the fun?  Ive not played beyond the demo level, but reports of cheap enemies, trial/error gameplay and that tired old masochistic requirement = epic fail.

Seriously, the japanese devs need to realize that ppl play geames for ENJOYMENT these days....
I don't think anybody has accused Bayonetta of having cheap enemies. I'm serious.

The three top complaints are:
1.) unnecessary cutscene QTEs that force a do over if you fail and hurt your final score
2.) vehicle sequences are twice as long as they should have been or shouldn't be there at all
3.) too easy

amtentori said:

They could have probably done RE5 Wii edition with that money and made a shitload more.

Capcom would rather pay western devs to make crap HD games than internally make good Wii games.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Arpharmd B said:
Not sure, but it can't be that huge. Shipping a million units probably turned an ok profit. I can't say the same for Madworld, even with a smaller budget I doubt the game would even break even with sales like that.

Sega's disappointment with Madworld's sales lead me to believe that they game had a decent budget or they at least had moderate expectations. the sales are probably 200k to 300k worldwide?

Based on what I played... the game should have definitely not have sold more than that to recover the investment... :/

amtentori said:

Don't even get my mind flowing with ideas on worthy Capcom projects where the money to make Dark Void and Bionic Commando could have gone.

Well basically Capcom burning millions of dollars with gasoline and a match would have sufficed. At least that would have been entertaining. Or they could have donated the money to charity. Maybe some good might have come out of it.

dolemite

There is a lot of negativity over at the PS3forums right now. Also somebody posted these in there (not VXFEzz numbers):
[PS3] MAG ~150K
[PS3] Darksiders ~130K
[360] Bayonetta ~100K
[PS3] Bayonetta ~60K
[Wii] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom ~50K
[Wii] No More Heroes 2 ~25K
[All] Dark Void - 22K

AniHawk

dolemite said:
There is a lot of negativity over at the PS3forums right now. Also somebody posted these in there (not VXFEzz numbers):
Lot of negativity towards what? Bayonetta? PS3 sales?

dolemite said:
PS3] MAG ~150K
[PS3] Darksiders ~130K
[360] Bayonetta ~100K
[PS3] Bayonetta ~60K
[All] Dark Void - 22K):

Sweet merciful Jesus it's even worse than I had imagined.

That cannot be a combined number.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All I can say about NMH2 sales is that I can't wait to pick it up for another playthrough in 15 months when it is bundled with Red Steel 2 for $15.99! :lol

Narcosis

Hmmm...hardware sales...nothing much to say

Software top 10....same ol' same ol', with nothing really that shocking

I am glad to see Darksiders get a SKU in the top 10. Also, given the level of production in Bayonetta I'd not be surprised that even with such unimpressive sales that it's WW total will at least keep the thing above red ink.

I'm amazed that some people are surprised at Bayonetta, MAG, NMH2 and TvC sales performances. Really guys? Are these same people gonna be shocked when Feb numbers drop in and Heavy Rain, WKC and SO4 International all sell under 100K?

If True...
dolemite said:
[PS3] MAG ~150K
[PS3] Darksiders ~130K

Not Bad...
[360] Bayonetta ~100K
[PS3] Bayonetta ~60K

Ouch...
Pretty good considering...
[All] Dark Void - 22K

Ouch...

qirex99 said:
nah....

WHAT?

Bayonetta is the exact opposite of cheap, and the only thing "trial and error" are like 4 or 5 quick time events (in a 15 hour 1st playthrough) that shouldn't be a problem after the first time you see them. I have never once felt like the game was being cheap even after beating it numerous times.

After seeing the Bayonetta numbers I'm even more depressed. So which one is it: the Clover curse continues or hardcore games don't sell on HD consoles?

boiled goose

good with gravy
[PS3] MAG ~150K hmm ok
[PS3] Darksiders ~130K not mind blowing but acceptable
[360] Bayonetta ~100K expected and sobering
[PS3] Bayonetta ~60K expected
[Wii] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom ~50K surprisingly decent
[Wii] No More Heroes 2 ~25K not surprising, but disappointing give the sales of the 1st game
[All] Dark Void - 22K HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT.

Is there any reasoning as to why No More Heroes 2 was released the SAME DAY as Mass Effect 2? Hell, even the same day as TVC is bogus as they would be both (in theory) splitting the hardcore Wii audience.

I bought both ME2 and TVC that day and haven't been able to tear myself away from ME2 for very much fighting.

JordanLMiller said:
After seeing the Bayonetta numbers I'm even more depressed. So which one is it: the Clover curse continues or hardcore games don't sell on HD consoles?

A bit of both.

Niche games are niche games, doesn't matter what console they are on.
Too bad people won't realize this and continue to lambaste the Wii for it's niche game sales...

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Is there any reasoning as to why No More Heroes 2 was released the SAME DAY as Mass Effect 2? Hell, even the same day as TVC is bogus as they would be both (in theory) splitting the hardcore Wii audience.

I bought both ME2 and TVC that day and haven't been able to tear myself away from ME2 for very much fighting.

Yeah, there's a reason.
Ubisoft is a horrible company.

boiled goose

good with gravy
JordanLMiller said:

it sold surprisingly well in japan at least.

Penguin

AceBandage said:
Yeah, there's a reason.
Ubisoft is a horrible company.

How else do you tell your investors that the Wii doesn't have a core audience and are responsible for some sort of financial woes.

Top Bottom